Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread

+4
MattyFresh
Rocinante
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
8 posters

Go down

Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread Empty Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 01:09

Lots of bad stuff on the timelines in the past few days. But I would HOPE that this is good news to all/most of us. The NBA's board of governors (owners) has approved the restart of the season and playoffs, as of July 31st. There is a single site campus in WDW in Lake Buena Vista, FL at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex.

22 teams will participate. Any team within 6 games of the final 8th seed in either conference is eligible.

I will watch every game, work or no work. I cannot wait. Some people want haircuts. I just want sports back. Safely, of course.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267294/source-nba-approves-plan-return-orlando
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread Empty Re: Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread

Post by Cameron 2020-06-05, 01:37

I'm stoked. It would absolutely suck for there to be a year with no champion.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread Empty Re: Search function sucks - official NBA is Back thread

Post by Rocinante 2020-06-05, 02:12

Sirch funkshun!!!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2020-06-05, 03:07

bounce
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-05, 08:14

One thing I'm not clear on from the article, is the 8 game "regular" season starting with everyone even or based on the interrupted regular season? I have some disagreements if it's the latter, but either way this is a LOT better than what was being discussed a week or two ago where they would just go straight to the playoffs with the top 8 from each conference (since in the West there are 4-5 teams within a good shot of the 8th spot).

My other question is about the players' personal lives. It mentions they can go golfing and to restaurants, but since this will last over 3 months, are they sequestered from their families/friends that whole time? If so, that sucks. If not, how do you then restrict the movements of family/friends?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-06-05, 09:06

They've already been together organizing games/practices and there's zero chance of restricted movement from "friends" and family

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 09:35

MiamiSpartan wrote:One thing I'm not clear on from the article, is the 8 game "regular" season starting with everyone even or based on the interrupted regular season? I have some disagreements if it's the latter, but either way this is a LOT better than what was being discussed a week or two ago where they would just go straight to the playoffs with the top 8 from each conference (since in the West there are 4-5 teams within a good shot of the 8th spot).

Not sure I understand the question? I mean seedings/records from the regular season stand in place when this thing starts. Each team plays 8 games, and really, looking at the standings, it's going to affect 3 current 'playofff' teams - the Nets and Magic in the East, and the Grizzlies in the West. They need to try to hold off the other teams that are currently outside of the playoff seedings and try to keep them from getting to within 4 games after the 8 are played. I suppose the other relevant thing is teams could jostle seeds higher up the standings. Pacers and Sixers are basically tied for 5/6 in the East and it will likely be the difference between playing the Celtics or the Heat. The Nuggets are within a game of the Clips for the 2 seed in the West. Mavs/Rockets/OKC all have basically identical records in the 5/6/7 slots in the West.

I want the Grizzlies to hold onto their 8 seed, but it would be pretty damn fun if they wound up in the play in tourney against the Pelicans.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-06-05, 09:44

[tw]1268708555613446146[/tw]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-06-05, 10:28

The schedule doesn't even work the way they proposed it. So I'm not sure what they plan on doing, simply playing the next 8 games with skipping the teams not there doesn't line up for everyone.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-05, 10:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:One thing I'm not clear on from the article, is the 8 game "regular" season starting with everyone even or based on the interrupted regular season?  I have some disagreements if it's the latter, but either way this is a LOT better than what was being discussed a week or two ago where they would just go straight to the playoffs with the top 8 from each conference (since in the West there are 4-5 teams within a good shot of the 8th spot).

Not sure I understand the question? I mean seedings/records from the regular season stand in place when this thing starts. Each team plays 8 games, and really, looking at the standings, it's going to affect 3 current 'playofff' teams - the Nets and Magic in the East, and the Grizzlies in the West. They need to try to hold off the other teams that are currently outside of the playoff seedings and try to keep them from getting to within 4 games after the 8 are played. I suppose the other relevant thing is teams could jostle seeds higher up the standings. Pacers and Sixers are basically tied for 5/6 in the East and it will likely be the difference between playing the Celtics or the Heat. The Nuggets are within a game of the Clips for the 2 seed in the West. Mavs/Rockets/OKC all have basically identical records in the 5/6/7 slots in the West.

I want the Grizzlies to hold onto their 8 seed, but it would be pretty damn fun if they wound up in the play in tourney against the Pelicans.

Yes, that's what I was asking.  The article doesn't specify, and only calls them 8 "seeding games", and I wasn't assuming that they would just pick up the season.  How do the pre-shutdown records stand, and then have each team play the same number of remaining games, when they didn't play the same number of games prior to the shut down?  You have teams that have played 3-4 more games than others.

The Grizzlies have played 65 games, 33 at home.  But the Spurs have only played 63 games, and only 30 at home.  The Pelicans and Kings have both played 64 games, with 32 and 31 home games, respectively.  Dallas has played 67 games, though their playoff spot isn't going to get threatened.

On the other hand, starting everyone at 0-0 isn't fair to the teams that are in better positions to begin with, but I think that they should just consider the previously played season as cancelled, use that season only to determine who gets into this tournament (like they're doing), and then start at 0-0.  It bears little resemblance to a normal season, so why try to make it one?  Just call it the Covid Summer Tournament, make a separate trophy specific to this, and play for the money and to give fans something to do.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 10:47

Good points about games being played to date not being even, and I'm not sure what the plan is. However, I don't agree with everyone starting at 0-0 at all, either. I mean the season was roughly 80% over. You can't tell Milwaukee, who was on a pace to win 70 games recently, that they're starting at the same place as Memphis and Orlando.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle games back is, but I definitely think the current seedings should stick when they start back up.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 10:54

I read a little more on NBA.com just now. I think my understanding is this.

Top 7 teams in each Conference have clinched. 8th seed is still up for grabs (Orlando and Memphis). Final seedings/playoff berth will be determined by record to date + record in 8 seeding games.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-06-05, 10:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I read a little more on NBA.com just now. I think my understanding is this.

Top 7 teams in each Conference have clinched. 8th seed is still up for grabs (Orlando and Memphis). Final seedings/playoff berth will be determined by record to date + record in 8 seeding games.

And they will have a play in series if 8 and 9 are within 4 games
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-05, 11:07

Do the top 7 teams still play the 8 games, or is it only the teams vying for 8 that play against each other?

It's not perfect, no matter what they do. Having some teams play 9-12 games, while others play 8 would even the numbers, but in such a short time period, it creates more fatigue/injuries, which teams would be upset about for their chances in the playoffs. I guess that's why I was saying start at 0-0, but not even calling it the 2019-2020 NBA season. Just cancel that and call this a special tournament. I understand what you're saying about it not being fair to Milwaukee, but sports have had seasons cancelled in the past and no champion declared due to lockouts or strikes. Just my two cents. No matter what, someone is going to feel shafted, and the only real response is, "Because Covid". Such is the world we live in, now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-06-05, 11:22

MiamiSpartan wrote:Do the top 7 teams still play the 8 games, or is it only the teams vying for 8 that play against each other?

It's not perfect, no matter what they do. Having some teams play 9-12 games, while others play 8 would even the numbers, but in such a short time period, it creates more fatigue/injuries, which teams would be upset about for their chances in the playoffs. I guess that's why I was saying start at 0-0, but not even calling it the 2019-2020 NBA season. Just cancel that and call this a special tournament. I understand what you're saying about it not being fair to Milwaukee, but sports have had seasons cancelled in the past and no champion declared due to lockouts or strikes. Just my two cents. No matter what, someone is going to feel shafted, and the only real response is, "Because Covid". Such is the world we live in, now.

All 22 will play the next 8 games on their schedule, if scheduled to play a team not there they skip to the next one. This is what I saw yesterday. But like I said it doesn't work out if you look at the schedules so they are going to have to tweak it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 11:26

I don't know, do you follow the NBA much? I can't see what you're advocating not generating a complete uproar and upheaval. It's a superstars league. Even with no home court, the outcry would be ginormous if Lebron and the Lakers somehow wound up having to face the Clippers or the Nuggets in the first round instead of the Grizzlies or the Pelicans. I mean even at the possibility of such. The entire internet, ESPN, Fox Sports, would all light up for weeks. The current way seems much more equitable to me than doing away with it all because one team has played 3 more games at home than another. I think this is as close to a true champion as you're going to get. Hell I will consider this year's champ (provided no one is sitting out due to the virus) at least as legitimate as last year's Raptors. Not to diminish last year's Championship, you can only deal with the circumstances put in front of you.

Yes, all teams play 8 games. If I understand it correctly, they have an opportunity to jostle seeds 1-7, and all of the players and coaches are adamant about having a regular season to help get back into game shape and avoid injuries before the playoffs start.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-06-05, 11:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't know, do you follow the NBA much? I can't see what you're advocating not generating a complete uproar and upheaval. It's a superstars league. Even with no home court, the outcry would be ginormous if Lebron and the Lakers somehow wound up having to face the Clippers or the Nuggets in the first round instead of the Grizzlies or the Pelicans. I mean even at the possibility of such. The entire internet, ESPN, Fox Sports, would all light up for weeks. The current way seems much more equitable to me than doing away with it all because one team has played 3 more games at home than another. I think this is as close to a true champion as you're going to get. Hell I will consider this year's champ (provided no one is sitting out due to the virus) at least as legitimate as last year's Raptors. Not to diminish last year's Championship, you can only deal with the circumstances put in front of you.

Yes, all teams play 8 games. If I understand it correctly, they have an opportunity to jostle seeds 1-7, and all of the players and coaches are adamant about having a regular season to help get back into game shape and avoid injuries before the playoffs start.

I like that they are finishing the season, just the schedule they proposed doesn't work.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-06-05, 11:40

It was in response to Miami.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-05, 12:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't know, do you follow the NBA much? I can't see what you're advocating not generating a complete uproar and upheaval. It's a superstars league. Even with no home court, the outcry would be ginormous if Lebron and the Lakers somehow wound up having to face the Clippers or the Nuggets in the first round instead of the Grizzlies or the Pelicans. I mean even at the possibility of such. The entire internet, ESPN, Fox Sports, would all light up for weeks. The current way seems much more equitable to me than doing away with it all because one team has played 3 more games at home than another. I think this is as close to a true champion as you're going to get. Hell I will consider this year's champ (provided no one is sitting out due to the virus) at least as legitimate as last year's Raptors. Not to diminish last year's Championship, you can only deal with the circumstances put in front of you.

I follow the NBA casually, not super closely (it falls lower on my priority list when so many sports are going on at once), but I still understand what you're saying. I know that there are lots of reasons outside of the on-the-court reasons that they wouldn't do what I'm advocating. The fact that you highlight the "outcry" and the networks as the reason says it all about the priorities of the league (and I'm not criticizing you for that, in fact you're certainly aware of it). I get it, that the NBA needs the fans and media, of course.

I know that I'm just yelling at clouds and perhaps being too idealistic. I'm thinking outside the box that people seem to be in that there has to be something called a 2019/2020 season. It's not the same season at all. They'll have been off almost as long as they are between normal seasons.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I will have trouble thinking of the champion as a legit NBA 2019/20 champion, but it doesn't affect my life either way, so I'm just talking nonsense on a message board, as usual.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-06-05, 21:55

KD doesn't plan on playing
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-07-13, 17:05

I'm not sure these guys quite understand the concept of a bubble. At least two times already it's been broken
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-07-13, 17:29

[tw]1282719257369866240[/tw]

#RIP
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-07-14, 12:04

Excellent news. Players can indeed show off their fits.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-reverse-fashion-policy-decision-tunnel-walk-bubble/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-07-14, 14:07

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Excellent news. Players can indeed show off their fits.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-reverse-fashion-policy-decision-tunnel-walk-bubble/
Under the "all inclusive" banner... we will have a fashion show.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-07-14, 14:29

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Excellent news. Players can indeed show off their fits.

definitely read that as "show off their tits"
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-07-16, 09:50

So it's the WNBA but wtf are they doing telling delle Donne she's not allowed to opt out. She has lime disease and is on like 60+ medications
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down