Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob how's your garden?

+22
tGreenWay
The Pantry
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
Trapper Gus
Dendrobates
NumbersDude
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Jake from State Farm
Rick Saunders
WhiteBoyHatcher
pulling69
GRR Spartan
Nordic
MattyFresh
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
Robert J Sakimano
26 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Bob how's your garden? Empty Bob how's your garden?

Post by aualum06 Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 13:38

6 quarts of berries today, I think we are around 20 quarts total. Not bad for starting with just 6 plants two springs ago Bob how's your garden? Img_2043
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Bob how's your garden? Empty Re: Bob how's your garden?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 14:00

sweet - I don't plant fruits/vegetables, though.

I specialize more in annuals, perennials, love some flowing parts of the estate now that the miscanthis grasses are taking off. Looks like the daylillies will flower in the next 10 days or so. I transplanted a lot last fall, so it's fun seeing how those plants have found their way. Gotta trim up a smokebush (my favorite plant we have - it reflects nicely against the house) - it's practically covering a picture window but that does, obviously, grant us privacy. Rudbeckia are coming up nicely.. thinking about putting a Bradford pear tree in a certain part of the lawn but will wait until fall, as the hot summer temps can compromise the root system.

what sort of berries do you have?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 14:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:sweet - I don't plant fruits/vegetables, though.

I specialize more in annuals, perennials, love some flowing parts of the estate now that the miscanthis grasses are taking off. Looks like the daylillies will flower in the next 10 days or so. I transplanted a lot last fall, so it's fun seeing how those plants have found their way. Gotta trim up a smokebush (my favorite plant we have - it reflects nicely against the house) - it's practically covering a picture window but that does, obviously, grant us privacy. Rudbeckia are coming up nicely.. thinking about putting a Bradford pear tree in a certain part of the lawn but will wait until fall, as the hot summer temps can compromise the root system.

Ill be honest I have no idea what brand we bought at the green house. First batch of radishes have started too, picked 12 this morning those are the cherry belles. I have three different plantings going of those
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 15:19

I'm growing scallions in a glass of water in my kitchen. Does that count?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 15:20

Heat Miser wrote:I'm growing scallions in a glass of water in my kitchen. Does that count?
no - mold doesn't count.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 15:23

aualum06 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:sweet - I don't plant fruits/vegetables, though.

Ill be honest I have no idea what brand we bought at the green house. First batch of radishes have started too, picked 12 this morning those are the cherry belles. I have three different plantings going of those
very cool.

every spring, my wife (who I adore, by the way) always talks big about planting some vegetables or even herbs. I'll tell her how to do it, what will grow best in a zone 5, how to protect her plants from varmints, etc. She always has this look of "sounds like a lot of work".

clearly she wants me to do it. She works very hard in other aspects of her life, I just always maintain the gardens, the lawn, the driveway in the winter, etc - funny how after nearly 30 years of wedded bliss you just kinda fall into certain responsibilities.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 15:39

Always figured this was the only garden that Bob liked.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 15:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:Always figured this was the only garden that Bob liked.

Bob how's your garden? 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 19:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

very cool.

every spring, my wife (who I adore, by the way) always talks big about planting some vegetables or even herbs. I'll tell her how to do it, what will grow best in a zone 5, how to protect her plants from varmints, etc. She always has this look of "sounds like a lot of work".

clearly she wants me to do it. She works very hard in other aspects of her life, I just always maintain the gardens, the lawn, the driveway in the winter, etc - funny how after nearly 30 years of wedded bliss you just kinda fall into certain responsibilities.

Varmits are the tough part. I've got strawberries, potatoes, watermelon, muskmelon, cucumbers, green peppers , broccoli, tomatoes and cherry tomatoes this year. Didn't hear anything about not planting pumpkins who grow everywhere. Build her a raised bed that she can start small in, weeds and varmits shouldn't be as bad. Ive got about 15 foot high mesh fence because of the deer lol
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Thu 18 Jun 2020 - 23:14

Ahhhh garden chit chat eh. I 've got a veggie herb garden. Tomatoes (Roma, cherry and San Marzano), cucumbers (sumpter and straight 8), sugar snap peas, green beans, bell peppers, zucchinis, crookneck squash, beets, lettuce, marijuana, basil, cilantro, garlic, dill, parsley, mint, thyme and a couple of big sunflowers. I've got 6 foot tall wired fencing wrapping around it that keeps everything but bugs and birds out.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 0:22

Matty how does the garlic grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 0:46

aualum06 wrote:Matty how does the garlic grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before

first time doing it, got cloves from a local nursery and threw them in a container. Was told to plant the clove pointy-side up about two inches down and two inches apart from eachother in October in well-mulched soil, and they've emerged this spring. I cut some of the flowers off the top since its supposed to make the bulbs bigger and healthier. They're about ready to get pulled out now. I had seen a video saying you could just take a clove from your grocery store garlic but the experts say its usually not a good idea for a multitude of reasons.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 18:41

Matty how does the marijuana grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 19:52

How the hell could Bob have a garden when he allegedly couldn't buy seeds in March and April.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 20:02

MattyFresh wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Matty how does the garlic grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before

first time doing it, got cloves from a local nursery and threw them in a container. Was told to plant the clove pointy-side up about two inches down and two inches apart from eachother in October in well-mulched soil, and they've emerged this spring. I cut some of the flowers off the top since its supposed to make the bulbs bigger and healthier. They're about ready to get pulled out now. I had seen a video saying you could just take a clove from your grocery store garlic but the experts say its usually not a good idea for a multitude of reasons.

Did you replant outside this spring?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 21:28

GRR Spartan wrote:How the hell could Bob have a garden when he allegedly couldn't buy seeds in March and April.
that fuckin' woman of a governor who had to try to save lives got in the way of me buying seeds, paint and to get a haircut.

Fuckin' women thinkin' they can run for office.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 22:09

Nordic wrote:Matty how does the marijuana grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before

It's currently in its a vegetative state but once it starts flowering it will begin to bud. Ya gotta wait for the right time to harvest then you gotta dry and cure them. Hang them from a clothesline at like 50 percent humidity for a few days until you can snap the branches clean. Then you can store them in whatever you want, I keep several wide mouthed mason jars and fill it 3/4 up
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 22:12

aualum06 wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Did you replant outside this spring?

Nope had them in containers over the winter but had put mulch on top of it
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 19 Jun 2020 - 23:08

Is the OP taking about a real garden or is he metaphorically referring to Bob’s crotchal region.
Here’s the answer, au: Bob’s got tiny zucchini.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 0:14

MattyFresh wrote:
Nordic wrote:Matty how does the marijuana grow and produce and how do you store it? I've never though about growing it before

It's currently in its a vegetative state but once it starts flowering it will begin to bud. Ya gotta wait for the right time to harvest then you gotta dry and cure them. Hang them from a clothesline at like 50 percent humidity for a few days until you can snap the branches clean. Then you can store them in whatever you want, I keep several wide mouthed mason jars and fill it 3/4 up

Bob how's your garden? 55953254

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 4:28

I was told that the poppies I have been growing at my parent's house in EL have finally bloomed...I planted those things from seeds about 20 years ago and at times I wish they were the good poppies... There is also a pine tree in the front yard that I planted in middle school from a sapling we took home form earth day in I think 1991ish. Glorious looking tree that I thought at some point some asshole would cut down for an epic Xmas tree.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 12:02

5 more quarts of berries today, good bunch of radishes. Hoed a whole bunch of stuff. Too hot but got it done
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 15:15

tGreenWay wrote:Is the OP taking about a real garden or is he metaphorically referring to Bob’s crotchal region.
Here’s the answer, au: Bob’s got tiny zucchini.

So Bob's wife likes miniture fruit and vegetables . You gotta problem with that?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon 22 Jun 2020 - 22:46

Any recommendations on getting rid of tent caterpillars and bag worms?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Tue 23 Jun 2020 - 1:37

Motown Spartan wrote:Any recommendations on getting rid of tent caterpillars and bag worms?

Fire
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 13:54

Motown Spartan wrote:Any recommendations on getting rid of tent caterpillars and bag worms?

My dad used spray stuff for bugs.

Had some nice broccoli and cheese last night

Bob how's your garden? Img_2044
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 13:58

aualum06 wrote:

Pre-cheesed?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 14:00

Motown Spartan wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Pre-cheesed?

Boiled the cheese in the water before adding the broccoli for ideal taste
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 14:09

aualum06 wrote:

Nice

Got into the flower gardening a few years ago, potted flowers on the deck and around the landscape. I find it to be an incredible stress reliever. The yellow daylillies are in full swing. Orange ones are starting to bud up now too. Need to hit those with the natural deer repellent tonight before it is too late. Been a good year for dahlias, gerber daisies  and marigolds because of all the sun. I might even get a sunflower to pop this year (they have been my nemesis).  Not so much for the inpatients. Had some casualties with the inpatients early on, but the ones that made it through are staying strong.

Did some lettuce, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes (Bob how's your garden? 1401550746) peppers and spices for the first time this year.  Started cultivating the spices, lettuce and spinach. Broccoli stalks are getting big, but haven't seen any broccoli yet. Not sure what to look for here, just playing it by ear.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 14:17

MattyFresh wrote:

SHIT... I could have plopped some weed in the vegetable garden couldn't I have? Can I get the seeds at my friendly local True Value?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 11:47

Pretty good radish picking this morning Bob how's your garden? Img_2045
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 11:52

Planted some peppermint and spearmint plants to (allegedly) keep dear/rabbits away. Snacked on a few last night. Going to put a bag of them in my car for when I gotta put on the mask. Gets rank in there.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 12:13

Nordic wrote:Planted some peppermint and spearmint plants to (allegedly) keep dear/rabbits away. Snacked on a few last night. Going to put a bag of them in my car for when I gotta put on the mask. Gets rank in there.

The deer staying away?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 12:18

Nordic wrote:Planted some peppermint and spearmint plants to (allegedly) keep dear/rabbits away. Snacked on a few last night. Going to put a bag of them in my car for when I gotta put on the mask. Gets rank in there.
Careful... That shit grows like a weed. Took over gardens and threatened lawn. Mojitos are nice though.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 13:33

aualum06 wrote:

The deer staying away?

In the area they where it is planted, yes. But it could also be because that is also where I take my nightly natural breaks and it they closer to the house. Fuckers got to some of my shit away from the house that I have not been "treating" a couple of days ago. Rosemary and marigolds are supposed to work to.  I cut some of those up and spread them around the other plants. Seemed to work last night at least. Marigolds put off a heavy scent when cut. Thyme does to, I might try that as well. Citronella also puts out a strong scent and I have one of those by the deck to (allegedly) keep the mosquitoes away. I may give that a whirl as well.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 16:07

Nordic wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

The deer staying away?

In the area they where it is planted, yes. But it could also be because that is also where I take my nightly natural breaks and it they closer to the house. Fuckers got to some of my shit away from the house that I have not been "treating" a couple of days ago. Rosemary and marigolds are supposed to work to.  I cut some of those up and spread them around the other plants. Seemed to work last night at least. Marigolds put off a heavy scent when cut. Thyme does to, I might try that as well. Citronella also puts out a strong scent and I have one of those by the deck to (allegedly) keep the mosquitoes away. I may give that a whirl as well.

I've also heard human hair works to keep the deer away as well.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 20:50

First zucchini and beet of the year Razz

Bob how's your garden? Garden10
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 21:33

MattyFresh wrote:First zucchini and beet of the year Razz

Nice, how do you smoke them?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 21:40

aualum06 wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:First zucchini and beet of the year Razz

Nice, how do you smoke them?

Usually in a juicy jay but zig zags in a pinch is fine.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 3 Jul 2020 - 8:00

aualum06 wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I've also heard human hair works to keep the deer away as well.

Will give it a whirl. I put some potted marigolds out by the daylillies last night. No further damage done last night and just heard the culprit grunting in the woods when I went out and checked. So it seemed to work.

Posting in a gardening thread, on a day off, before 7am...turning into tGreenway more and more everyday. 

[size=34]Off to the early bird Home Depot in my compression socks and sandals with the rest of the greenways[/size]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next