Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos?

+19
StylesGShmooth
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
kingstonlake
Nordic
The Pantry
Rocinante
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
DWags
NigelUno
Motown Spartan
Tim Wakefield
steveschneider
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos? - Page 2 Empty Re: ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos?

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-24, 17:22

The Pantry wrote:From nearby Oaxaca.  Delicious.  My only gripe is they tend to over salt a bit.

Yeah, I think the quality of tacos have jumped up. I just don't remember tacos like that being available back in the day. I feel like when I was at MSU if you wanted a taco you either went to Taco Bell or that place by Frandor Mr. Taco. Blech.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos? - Page 2 Empty Re: ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos?

Post by Nordic 2020-06-24, 17:27

Tim Wakefield wrote:This is ridiculous
NigelUno wrote:It's not called Burrito Bell for a reason.  
tGreenWay wrote:Scheduled to happen on the second Tuesday of next week.

Fucking Steve
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-24, 17:28

The Pantry wrote:From nearby Oaxaca.

Wait, you live in Mexico? Does that make Texas up north?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-24, 18:01

Turtleneck wrote:
The Pantry wrote:From nearby Oaxaca.

Wait, you live in Mexico? Does that make Texas up north?

That’s also none of your business. Sheesh. What a nosy Nellie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-24, 19:43

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:From nearby Oaxaca.  Delicious.  My only gripe is they tend to over salt a bit.

Yeah, I think the quality of tacos have jumped up. I just don't remember tacos like that being available back in the day. I feel like when I was at MSU if you wanted a taco you either went to Taco Bell or that place by Frandor Mr. Taco. Blech.

I loved when they had taco night on the dorm caf. But there was another good Mexican place around Lansing in the 90s that had tacos. I forget the name. They had a few locations. I think there was one in/near EL, but when I was working in downtown Lansing in the late 90s there was one on Washington that I'd have lunch at a lot. Thick, awesome tortilla chips, too. Seemed pretty natural/fresh made, not out of a bag.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-24, 19:45

I had to make tacos tonight after this thread. Thanks, Steve. No, really, thanks, home made tacos are one of my very favorite easy comfort food type meals.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-24, 20:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I loved when they had taco night on the dorm caf.  But there was another good Mexican place around Lansing in the 90s that had tacos.  I forget the name.  They had a few locations.  I think there was one in/near EL, but when I was working in downtown Lansing in the late 90s there was one on Washington that I'd have lunch at a lot.  Thick, awesome tortilla chips, too.  Seemed pretty natural/fresh made, not out of a bag.
Chi-Chi's?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-24, 20:41

Ramones?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-24, 20:42

Del Taco?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-24, 20:56

steveschneider wrote:

Watch your mouth, bitch. Them’s fightin words. Mr. Taco was a local favorite. Someone related to the original owner has opened a south Lansing location. Took them forever to do it, too, but they have the original recipes. Those tostadas. ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos? - Page 2 361471007
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-06-24, 20:58

Cameron wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I loved when they had taco night on the dorm caf.  But there was another good Mexican place around Lansing in the 90s that had tacos.  I forget the name.  They had a few locations.  I think there was one in/near EL, but when I was working in downtown Lansing in the late 90s there was one on Washington that I'd have lunch at a lot.  Thick, awesome tortilla chips, too.  Seemed pretty natural/fresh made, not out of a bag.
Chi-Chi's?

Seafood Nachos   ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos? - Page 2 361471007
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-24, 21:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I loved when they had taco night on the dorm caf. But there was another good Mexican place around Lansing in the 90s that had tacos. I forget the name. They had a few locations. I think there was one in/near EL, but when I was working in downtown Lansing in the late 90s there was one on Washington that I'd have lunch at a lot. Thick, awesome tortilla chips, too. Seemed pretty natural/fresh made, not out of a bag.

You’re thinking of either Ramone’s or Famous Taco. Famous made their own chips that were amazing. Always a little too greasy, never dry or overcooked, with the perfect amount of salt. Damn, now I want those chips.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-24, 21:10

I prefer a taco stuffed with burrito.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-24, 21:35

MiamiSpartan wrote:I had to make tacos tonight after this thread. Thanks, Steve. No, really, thanks, home made tacos are one of my very favorite easy comfort food type meals.

Cheers, Bro. We did the same and I also pre-cheesed one for the first time. How was it? I will give my hot take on this pre-cheesing business tomorrow over in the Greenway thread.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-24, 22:22

steveschneider wrote:Ramones?

Social Distortion?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-24, 23:36

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

You’re thinking of either Ramone’s or Famous Taco. Famous made their own chips that were amazing. Always a little too greasy, never dry or overcooked, with the perfect amount of salt. Damn, now I want those chips.

Greenway wins, it was Famous Taco. Yes, the chips were great, greasiness and all. Something about the tacos clicked with me as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-24, 23:39

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I had to make tacos tonight after this thread. Thanks, Steve. No, really, thanks, home made tacos are one of my very favorite easy comfort food type meals.

Cheers, Bro. We did the same and I also pre-cheesed one for the first time. How was it? I will give my hot take on this pre-cheesing business tomorrow over in the Greenway thread.

Great as usual, but didn't precheese. I have no interest in jumping on that train.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-24, 23:44

I do not recommend the tacos from Burger King, if they even still sell them. At a dollar a piece, they are overpriced by at least two dollars.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-06-25, 01:15

Hey Cameron. Slow your roll. Chi chis taught me that Mexican food was something that my 10 year old palette was missing. Even though it was Americanized it started me down a path to loving the shit out of real Mexican food. So yeah. Chi chis holds a special place in my heart. Well. The one on Lake Lansing rd. anyway. It was within walking distance of my house when I was a little tad.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-25, 01:20

Rocinante wrote:Hey Cameron.  Slow your roll. Chi chis taught me that Mexican food was something that my 10 year old palette was missing. Even though it was Americanized it started me down a path to loving the shit out of real Mexican food.  So yeah. Chi chis holds a special place in my heart. Well.  The one on Lake Lansing rd. anyway. It was within walking distance of my house when I was a little tad.  

Did you think I was putting down Chi-Chi's? No no no, sir. I have never had a bad dining experience at Chi-Chi's.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2020-06-25, 01:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Greenway wins, it was Famous Taco. Yes, the chips were great, greasiness and all. Something about the tacos clicked with me as well.

Famous Taco is still in business, not in EL though...Still have the same chips. Love me some Famous Taco when I get to town.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-25, 01:34

kingstonlake wrote:I prefer a taco stuffed with burrito.

Giggity.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-25, 08:37

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Watch your mouth, bitch. Them’s fightin words. Mr. Taco was a local favorite. Someone related to the original owner has opened a south Lansing location. Took them forever to do it, too, but they have the original recipes. Those tostadas. ot When did Tacos Surpass Burritos? - Page 2 361471007

I never got it. Thought their tacos were like Taco Bell’s and if my memory is correct they used that cheap shredded cheese. Those tacos that Pylon posted are the type of tacos I expect these days.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-06-25, 08:41

I love and appreciate that Steve labeled this thread as ot.

It's very important in these unusual times that we know which are the ot threads.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-25, 09:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:I love and appreciate that Steve labeled this thread as ot.

It's very important in these unusual times that we know which are the ot threads.

I remember at that other board when they use to ban people for a day for not tagging something as OT. Douchers.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-06-25, 09:54

OK....

Chi-chi Order = Humunga Chimmichunga....& never eat that corn goo.

El Oasis > El Az...

El Oasis order includes burritto with a side of tacos... perfect.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-25, 10:13

Motown Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I love and appreciate that Steve labeled this thread as ot.

I remember at that other board when they use to ban people for a day for not tagging something as OT. Douchers.

Are you shitting me? Just the subject line alone should imply it doesn't involve sports.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-25, 10:15

AvgMSUJoe wrote:OK....

El Oasis > El Az...

This thread got me thinking about El Az a little bit. Clearly the place is a classic EL joint. I've taken my wife there and she thinks the food is dog shit. I think the place is really a hit or miss menu. I think their tacos are dreadful but other stuff I think it's divine. tl;dr if you go to El Az you gotta know what you are doing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-25, 10:57

Motown Spartan wrote:

This is not the other board. You're welcome to go back. We don't miss people around here. OTPT will even help you pack your things.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-25, 11:51

Turtleneck wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

This is not the other board. You're welcome to go back. We don't miss people around here. OTPT will even help you pack your things.

What on earth would make you feel I would want to go to the other board?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-25, 12:41

You’re signature line says “I want to go back to the other board.”
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-25, 13:04

Turtleneck wrote:You’re signature line says “I want to go back to the other board.”

Oh yeah, well your username says you’re uncircumcised.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-25, 22:51

I had tacos two times this week. This might be the one food you never tire of. It's like coffee you can have it every fucking day as a ritual. I love pizza but can't have it everyday because of the dough (aint got no room in my life for that stuff no more) and a cheese burger is too heavy. A taco is fucking perfect.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-06-26, 09:37

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:OK....

El Oasis > El Az...

This thread got me thinking about El Az a little bit. Clearly the place is a classic EL joint. I've taken my wife there and she thinks the food is dog shit. I think the place is really a hit or miss menu. I think their tacos are dreadful but other stuff I think it's divine. tl;dr if you go to El Az you gotta know what you are doing.

Back in the day I used to like El Az because 1) it felt like you were taking your life in your hands going down those stairs to your future fiery death (pre-move)... and 2)You could get a bean burrito the size of your head for like $3. Downside... you had to plan on spending 3-7 hours waiting for your food.

So it served it's purpose, but El Oasis is just good shit. Haven't had anything bad.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-06-26, 09:45

So I tried the Los Tris Amigos in EL. Sucked. I'll drive to el oasis next time I'm around there.

I'm a burrito plate El Az guy. Get the quac, cheese dip, salsa starter. Have a beer, get my burrito plate, (two spicy) then add salsa to the refried beans and rice mix them up. Eat one burrito and take one home. For every 20 times I eat there, I maybe stray from that game plan one in twenty.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-06-26, 10:45

DWags wrote:So I tried the Los Tris Amigos in EL. Sucked. I'll drive to el oasis next time I'm around there.

I'm a burrito plate El Az guy. Get the quac, cheese dip, salsa starter. Have a beer, get my burrito plate, (two spicy) then add salsa to the refried beans and rice mix them up. Eat one burrito and take one home. For every 20 times I eat there, I maybe stray from that game plan one in twenty.

El Oasis has a food truck just down the road from there...right next to Tom's Party Store.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-26, 14:06

DWags wrote:So I tried the Los Tris Amigos in EL. Sucked. I'll drive to el oasis next time I'm around there.

Yep, that's the El Az way. Find what works stick with it. That fuckin cheese dip there is dynamite.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-06-26, 14:17

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Ramones?

Social Distortion?

Corrosion of Conformity?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-27, 00:37

Steve placing his order:
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-06-27, 08:46

steveschneider wrote:

Yep, that's the El Az way. Find what works stick with it. That fuckin cheese dip there is dynamite.

Last time I had the cheese dip there, I'm not sure what it was. It's usually the best part of the meal.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next