Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-16, 18:55

So the Ingham county health department and MSU are asking students to quarantine in their residences for two weeks but it’s safe to play football. What am I missing?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-16, 19:19

Rocinante wrote:So the Ingham county health department and MSU are asking students to quarantine in their residences for two weeks but it’s safe to play football. What am I missing?

The fact that football players can be protected, tested daily, contract traced, and isolated?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 19:23

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Rocinante wrote:So the Ingham county health department and MSU are asking students to quarantine in their residences for two weeks but it’s safe to play football. What am I missing?

The fact that football players can be protected, tested daily, contract traced, and isolated?

How can they be isolated? You have 85 players plus staff. Is everybody going to have to live at the Kellogg Center for 10 weeks with no outside visitors? Will other programs being doing the same with their players and staff? You can’t exactly put them in a bubble like NBA players.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-16, 19:25

ELHS has a game in 2 days
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 19:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

The good news is there is no history of Big Ten universities putting their own interests ahead of the well being of their student athletes. It's just never happened before, and there is no reason not to give the benefit out the doubt to Big Ten leaders.

Not gonna be this cynical, sorry.

Yeah, precedent is usually irrelevant.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-16, 19:48

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Not gonna be this cynical, sorry.

I'm here if you ever want to talk facts.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-09-16, 19:53

I always feel a little dirty watching college sports anyway. I'm fairly sure I can internalize and repress a little extra guilt this year. It's 2020, we all have to make sacrifices.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2020-09-16, 19:55

Cameron wrote:I always feel a little dirty watching college sports anyway. I'm fairly sure I can internalize and repress a little extra guilt this year. It's 2020, we all have to make sacrifices.

We all have to take one for the team.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-16, 19:59

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

How can they be isolated? You have 85 players plus staff. Is everybody going to have to live at the Kellogg Center for 10 weeks with no outside visitors? Will other programs being doing the same with their players and staff? You can’t exactly put them in a bubble like NBA players.

Isolated if they test positive. As in "testing, contact tracing, and isolating" that we've all heard talked about a thousand times as how to stop the spread.

Look, I'm not gung ho about playing, I'm just saying that it's a false equivalence to compare it to regular students going to class, since they are able (and willing) to do a lot more to protect the players and reduce the spread with 200 people than with 50-60,000 people.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-16, 20:06

I will watch MSU because I bleed green and I want to see coach Mel Tucker the skull fucker destroy the opposing meat heads in the B1G.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 20:16

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Sandusky or Nassar seem like solid factual cases of Big Ten universities ignoring the well-being of others in an effort to put what they saw as their interests first. Maybe not factual enough for you though.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 20:20

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Isolated if they test positive. As in "testing, contact tracing, and isolating" that we've all heard talked about a thousand times as how to stop the spread.

Look, I'm not gung ho about playing, I'm just saying that it's a false equivalence to compare it to regular students going to class, since they are able (and willing) to do a lot more to protect the players and reduce the spread with 200 people than with 50-60,000 people.

Oh, yeah, totally misunderstood what you said.

Although, I would say, the NBA's bubble approach is the most effective strategy, and it's not really doable in college sports.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-16, 20:54

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Sandusky or Nassar seem like solid factual cases of Big Ten universities ignoring the well-being of others in an effort to put what they saw as their interests first. Maybe not factual enough for you though.

This is a really stupid take. All the presidents got together and decided unanimously to allow Nassar & Sandusky to continue their shit?

I guess I need to add this caveat. I'm here if you want to have an honest discussion about the Big Ten conference having student athletes best interest at heart regarding playing this year. Until then, have a great day.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-16, 21:11

steveschneider wrote:I will watch MSU because I bleed green and I want to see coach Mel Tucker the skull fucker destroy the opposing meat heads in the B1G.

I am also excited about Mel Tucker the Skull Fucker, Steve.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 21:27

Individual universities, Pylon. Individual universities in the Big 10. Not the actual Big 10 commissioner’s office. I will chalk it up to a misunderstanding unless you want to admit to a little goal post moving.

We can add the UM athletic doctor, and quite possibly an OSU doctor as well. Durkin showed solid disregard for players at Maryland, his operational culture was known, and a player eventually died under his watch. Iowa players have been hospitalized. I said universities in my first post - as in there are several examples of individual universities in the Big 10 that have willfully disregarded the well-being of others - and in some cases university leadership was aware. So yeah, forgive me if I don’t trust university administrators all that much. They have given us reason to be distrustful.

Edit: But to avoid the back-and-forth, and potential massive e-fight that spawns a hate rivaled only by the hate Steve and Cam have for each other, I think it really just comes down to you being more trusting. That's fine. Not much to argue about there, I guess. I also think Cam might be Cam Cameron.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2020-09-17, 03:10

Got to say... I agree with turtleneck.

I really hope I'm wrong. And I am still looking forward to watching the games, even though I think we will be a disaster (understandably).

Universities are losing money. MSU especially, given their previous issues. I hear what they are doing for the players, and I think that's great. Im still cynical as fuck.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-17, 08:28

Turtleneck wrote:Individual universities, Pylon. Individual universities in the Big 10. Not the actual Big 10 commissioner’s office. I will chalk it up to a misunderstanding unless you want to admit to a little goal post moving.

We can add the UM athletic doctor, and quite possibly an OSU doctor as well. Durkin showed solid disregard for players at Maryland, his operational culture was known, and a player eventually died under his watch. Iowa players have been hospitalized. I said universities in my first post - as in there are several examples of individual universities in the Big 10 that have willfully disregarded the well-being of others - and in some cases university leadership was aware. So yeah, forgive me if I don’t trust university administrators all that much. They have given us reason to be distrustful.

Edit: But to avoid the back-and-forth, and potential massive e-fight that spawns a hate rivaled only by the hate Steve and Cam have for each other, I think it really just comes down to you being more trusting. That's fine. Not much to argue about there, I guess. I also think Cam might be Cam Cameron.

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Tenor
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-09-17, 08:46

Hot Take: I'll tune in but it won't have the same vibe or excitement.

I see this almost like an exhibition season. Kinda glad we were in a "rebuilding year", anyway.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-17, 08:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Hot Take: I'll tune in but it won't have the same vibe or excitement.

I see this almost like an exhibition season. Kinda glad we were in a "rebuilding year", anyway.

This is my line of thinking too Bob.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan on 2020-09-17, 08:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Hot Take: I'll tune in but it won't have the same vibe or excitement.

We gonna shock the world!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-17, 09:04

That is what everyone is saying, but then 75% will freak out and proclaim the program doomed the first time the defense gives up a TD or the offense has to punt. Sort of like when people freak out the first moment the men’s BB team misses a shot and declare the game has passed Izzy by. It’s inevitable.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-17, 09:15

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Individual universities, Pylon. Individual universities in the Big 10. Not the actual Big 10 commissioner’s office. I will chalk it up to a misunderstanding unless you want to admit to a little goal post moving.

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Tenor

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 200
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-09-17, 09:38

Turtleneck wrote:

That is what everyone is saying, but then 75% will freak out and proclaim the program doomed the first time the defense gives up a TD or the offense has to punt. Sort of like when people freak out the first moment the men’s BB team misses a shot and declare the game has passed Izzy by. It’s inevitable.

No need to punt if your QBs are so shitty that they throw an interception every series

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 200
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-17, 10:02

Does anyone really think this is safe? That we will make it through the season without a player getting very sick or possibly dying? At the end of the day this just doesn't seem like a very good idea.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-09-17, 10:07

steveschneider wrote:Does anyone really think this is safe? That we will make it through the season without a player getting very sick or possibly dying? At the end of the day this just doesn't seem like a very good idea.
I suspect it's gonna be a disaster.

Maybe not at MSU but certainly somewhere. The problem is, I don't think we'll ever fully know how disasterous it is, as universities are going to hold the data and numbers very closely. They'll claim HIPAA or various other aspects of confidentiality.. but no team, university, conference, etc. is going to be willing to admit that it was a mistake.

I could be wrong (it's happened before). I hope I am.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-17, 10:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Does anyone really think this is safe? That we will make it through the season without a player getting very sick or possibly dying? At the end of the day this just doesn't seem like a very good idea.
I suspect it's gonna be a disaster.

Maybe not at MSU but certainly somewhere. The problem is, I don't think we'll ever fully know how disasterous it is, as universities are going to hold the data and numbers very closely. They'll claim HIPAA or various other aspects of confidentiality.. but no team, university, conference, etc. is going to be willing to admit that it was a mistake.

I could be wrong (it's happened before). I hope I am.

I've been watching the NBA and finished the US Open. The leadership for both sports is phenomenal and the bubble clearly works. I hope I'm wrong about this too but I have a terrible feeling about it. Common sense says this isn't a good idea.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-17, 10:21

I do not think we're going to have people dropping off from being very sick and dying Steve. Unless you literally mean A player, then yes that's always possible
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-17, 10:35

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

I do not think we're going to have people dropping off from being very sick and dying Steve. Unless you literally mean A player, then yes that's always possible

Without a bubble we are going to see a lot of players catch it. Sounds like the conference is ready to roll the dice and see what happens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-17, 10:40

So are we worried about getting very sick and dying or just about catching it?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-17, 10:49

CORNER BLITZ wrote:So are we worried about getting very sick and dying or just about catching it?

I hope we can catch it, but viruses are tricky.

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Man-hunting-for-butterflies-isolated-on-white-FC8D6R
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-09-17, 10:58

Coaches willing to risk it all for some foosball
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-09-17, 10:59

We should take the Coach O approach to get ready for the season.

Let's also remember that asymptomatic and dying aren't the only 2 endpoints and there's a lot we don't know and won't know about this thing and how it may affect you in the short and long term for a very long time. Some caution is warranted.

I still support the players that want to play a game they love and/or perhaps pursue a livelihood. They have to weigh that caution. Not my place.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-17, 11:18

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Coaches willing to risk it all for some foosball

We've seen OSU, UofM, MSU and PSU all fail to protect their student athletes from sexual predators. Can we trust them to do what's right during a pandemic? We've already seen a leaker come forth at UofM and call out Schlissel's leadership during the pandemic and how he's not being transparent. There's good reason to be skeptical.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-17, 12:21

steveschneider wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Without a bubble we are going to see a lot of players catch it. Sounds like the conference is ready to roll the dice and see what happens.

People act like we are the only ones conducting this experiment of attempting to play college football. Three of the other P5 conferences, as well as some mid major conferences, will have been playing for 6-8 weeks by the time the B10 starts. So we will have time to see what happens elsewhere.

The B10 is in a good position here to get a good gauge on how it is working/not working before taking the field.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-17, 12:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

People act like we are the only ones conducting this experiment of attempting to play college football. Three of the other P5 conferences, as well as some mid major conferences, will have been playing for 6-8 weeks by the time the B10 starts. So we will have time to see what happens elsewhere.

The B10 is in a good position here to get a good gauge on how it is working/not working before taking the field.

That's an excellent point.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-17, 13:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

tOfficial 2020 College Football Thread - Page 12 Giphy
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-17, 13:51

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That’s a hopeful way of looking at it. The way I look at it is that 44 players on Tennessee’s roster have been sidelined mostly by Covid cases and contact tracing. They are scheduled to play SC next weekend. It’s a shitshow that will play out at all the other Universities.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-17, 13:59

Texas tech, 75 cases. LSU “most” of the team. Oklahoma has a shitload. To think these kids can be protected is fantasy.

It’s just a matter of time before one of them has a severe reaction, and everybody acts like nobody could have seen this coming.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-17, 14:16

Troll post: the B10 should not be eligible for the CFB playoff or bowl games. If other conferences are playing 10-11 games, the B10 doesn't get to sneak in the postseason playing 2-3 fewer games.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-17, 14:25

Rocinante wrote:Texas tech, 75 cases. LSU “most” of the team. Oklahoma has a shitload. To think these kids can be protected is fantasy.

It’s just a matter of time before one of them has a severe reaction, and everybody acts like nobody could have seen this coming.

You mean a virus can't be stopped 😲
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum