Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2020 Presidential campaign.

+21
InTenSity
The Pantry
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
DWags
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rick Saunders
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
25 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 11:20

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Steve it’s usually mostly white people who say things like “he has to pick a black woman so that it drives African Americans to the polls” as if African Americans are some monolith that only get motivated by race. (Let’s not talk about who thinks African Americans are a monolith on second thought)

It’s either early stage pundit disease where they don’t realize what they are saying is a little, eh, iffy on the broad generalizations because their favorite pundits said it and they are just parroting or it’s just a little bit of racism. I think it’s probably the former.

It's black people saying that he has to pick a black woman, as much or more than white people, Travis. 100 black leaders/celebrities penned an article saying that. They said (or maybe it was a separate comment by a black leader) that if he doesn't, it will be 2016 all over again. I've seen many other black leaders saying similar things.

Also, there was record turnout among blacks for Obama. And then blacks did not turnout well at all for Hillary, and even a little bit better turnout would have flipped the election (hence the "2016 all over again" comment). Sorry, I know you don't want to talk about 2016, but blame the 100 black leaders that brought it up. The fact is that data shows black people are more likely to turn out and vote for black candidates. This isn't some supposition of a monolith, it is actually a factual representation of what has happened over and over again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-vp-black-democrats-are-torn-between-harris-warren-n1232312

I’ve seen a lot of polling evidence and takes from prominent voices in the African American community they’d prefer Warren. Even Obama early on praised her and it looked like it was going to be Warren for a hot minute.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-11, 11:20

kingstonlake wrote:I guess there’s a couple angles. Nominate a phone charger as your VP because people are so sick of Trump they’d vote for you anyway. Or pick someone who you think brings in the most potential voters to your cause of beating Trump. Seems like this election is unlike any others. Job 1 seems to be defeating trump and less about an a idealistic movement for the party.

That sounds phenomenally like every other election of all time. Like, if I were tasked with coming up with a phrase to make it sound like this election isn’t in anyway different than past ones, I think that’s what I’d say.

Yes, that is often said to try to bring a party together, no question. But this time, that goal goes well beyond just members of the Democratic party. Hell, a current Republican and former presidential candidate of the party is speaking at the Democratic National Convention. Other well-known Republicans/Republican-leans are against Trump. While not as many as I would like, I don't remember anything close to this before, from either side. Were there even any high profile "Reagan Democrats"? Even if there were, I don't believe it was anti-Carter or anti-Mondale. So yeah, this anti-Trump movement is pretty rare.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 11:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:

That sounds phenomenally like every other election of all time. Like, if I were tasked with coming up with a phrase to make it sound like this election isn’t in anyway different than past ones, I think that’s what I’d say.

Yes, that is often said to try to bring a party together, no question. But this time, that goal goes well beyond just members of the Democratic party. Hell, a current Republican and former presidential candidate of the party is speaking at the Democratic National Convention. Other well-known Republicans/Republican-leans are against Trump. While not as many as I would like, I don't remember anything close to this before, from either side. Were there even any high profile "Reagan Democrats"? Even if there were, I don't believe it was anti-Carter or anti-Mondale. So yeah, this anti-Trump movement is pretty rare.

Don't forget about good ol' Zel Miller.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-11, 11:28

Cameron wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It's black people saying that he has to pick a black woman, as much or more than white people, Travis.  100 black leaders/celebrities penned an article saying that.  They said (or maybe it was a separate comment by a black leader) that if he doesn't, it will be 2016 all over again.  I've seen many other black leaders saying similar things.

Also, there was record turnout among blacks for Obama.  And then blacks did not turnout well at all for Hillary, and even a little bit better turnout would have flipped the election (hence the "2016 all over again" comment).  Sorry, I know you don't want to talk about 2016, but blame the 100 black leaders that brought it up.  The fact is that data shows black people are more likely to turn out and vote for black candidates.  This isn't some supposition of a monolith, it is actually a factual representation of what has happened over and over again.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you cited one questionable example and then say it happens over and over again. Can you point to an example other than uniquely terrible Hillary?

To clarify, I wasn't saying that Hillary caused blacks to not turnout (I don't know how her numbers in that segment compared to Gore, Kerry, Dukakis, etc.). In comparison to Obama, yes, but I was saying that black people turn out more to vote for black candidates. I believe that panss out in state and local races, too, but if evidence doesn't support that, I'd welcome the correction.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-08-11, 11:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:

It’s probably my fault that I didn’t write an essay, but I think you missed what I was saying Miami. That’s on me though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-11, 11:37

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It's black people saying that he has to pick a black woman, as much or more than white people, Travis. 100 black leaders/celebrities penned an article saying that. They said (or maybe it was a separate comment by a black leader) that if he doesn't, it will be 2016 all over again. I've seen many other black leaders saying similar things.

Also, there was record turnout among blacks for Obama. And then blacks did not turnout well at all for Hillary, and even a little bit better turnout would have flipped the election (hence the "2016 all over again" comment). Sorry, I know you don't want to talk about 2016, but blame the 100 black leaders that brought it up. The fact is that data shows black people are more likely to turn out and vote for black candidates. This isn't some supposition of a monolith, it is actually a factual representation of what has happened over and over again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-vp-black-democrats-are-torn-between-harris-warren-n1232312

I’ve seen a lot of polling evidence and takes from prominent voices in the African American community they’d prefer Warren. Even Obama early on praised her and it looked like it was going to be Warren for a hot minute.

Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that leading voices are saying the opposite. In other words, it isn't a cut and dry issue.

But as much as we don't want to say that blacks are a monolith, or that Biden can take their vote for granted, are they really going to not show up, thus allowing an overt racist to win, just because the non-racist, friend, and former subordinate of a black president, picked a non-racist white woman? I can see it not inspiring them, but shouldn't anti-Trump be enough to inspire them. And look, before someone chimes in with the typical "look at the middle aged white dude telling blacks how to feel", give it a rest. I know I'm saying this as a white guy, and I have zero authority on the matter, and I'm not SAYING how they should feel, I'm ASKING, with the hope of understanding the feelings of a culture that I can't truly understand.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 11:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that leading voices are saying the opposite.  In other words, it isn't a cut and dry issue.

But as much as we don't want to say that blacks are a monolith, or that Biden can take their vote for granted, are they really going to not show up, thus allowing an overt racist to win, just because the non-racist, friend, and former subordinate of a black president, picked a non-racist white woman?  I can see it not inspiring them, but shouldn't anti-Trump be enough to inspire them.  And look, before someone chimes in with the typical "look at the middle aged white dude telling blacks how to feel", give it a rest. I know I'm saying this as a white guy, and I have zero authority on the matter, and I'm not SAYING how they should feel, I'm ASKING, with the hope of understanding the feelings of a culture that I can't truly understand.

I'm largely with you in that I don't think the VP pick, whoever it ends up being, will have much of an effect on turnout either way. Due to Biden's age, his VP pick might matter more than any that have come before, but I still think the VAST majority of the turnout will be driven by the names at the top of the ticket.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 11:44

I just hope that she's likeable and smiles a lot.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-11, 11:46

MiamiSpartan wrote:

It’s probably my fault that I didn’t write an essay, but I think you missed what I was saying Miami. That’s on me though.

Who'd have thought that just making a vague sarcastic quip might not get across your point.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 11:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I just hope that she's likeable and smiles a lot.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 12:02

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I just hope that she's likeable and smiles a lot.
The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 502811600 The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 502811600

I just get a kick out of people arguing all day on message boards under the guise of some sort of serious tone with real world consequences in the balance.

it's one of the more charming attributes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2020-08-11, 12:05

Never underestimate the incompetence of Rick Saunders. I'm not talking to you TOTC I know you're good.

Last edited by Rick Saunders on 2020-08-11, 12:07; edited 1 time in total
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2020-08-11, 12:06

I just get a kick out of people arguing all day on message boards under the guise of some sort of serious tone with real world consequences in the balance.

Never underestimate the power of a small group of message board posters to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 12:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:
The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 502811600 The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 2 502811600

So your instinct when you see people having a sincere conversation is to incessantly insert yourself and be a deliberately obnoxious jackass in order to ruin it for everyone? Is that pretty much the long and short if it?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 12:17

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

So your instinct when you see people having a sincere conversation is to incessantly insert yourself and be a deliberately obnoxious jackass in order to ruin it for everyone? Is that pretty much the long and short if it?
I think the people in question can choose whether or not I ruin it for them.

I certainly wouldn't (and don't) allow the various idiots at tSwill influence my opinion of the place. I just ignore them.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 12:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I certainly wouldn't (and don't) allow the various idiots at tSwill influence my opinion of the place. I just ignore them.
So incessantly insert yourself like a deliberately obnoxious jackass and let the chips fall where they may, then? That's much better. It's not sociopathic to have no regard for other people at all, no sir.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-11, 12:21

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Who'd have thought that just making a vague sarcastic quip might not get across your point.

I find it funny that the self proclaimed abstract other worldly thinker made such a basic assertion that all elections are the same.

I’m just messin with ya Travis...
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 12:27

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

So incessantly insert yourself like a deliberately obnoxious jackass and let the chips fall where they may, then? That's much better. It's not sociopathic to have no regard for other people at all, no sir.
I'm sorry that my opinions upset you, dude. I really am.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 12:29

so.. we're hours away from the mainstream media and the GOP tearing apart Biden's VP nominee.

My top 5 list of the women who I hope will be likeable and smile a lot:

1. Kamala - she's black and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
2. Rice- she's black and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
3. Whitmer - she's white, saved lives in Michigan and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
4. Harris - she's white, extraordinarily smart and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
5. Duckworth - an American hero, the living embodiment of a patriot and scares the hell out of insecure white men.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 12:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:

It's not your opinions, which are unfailingly facile and predictable, it is your personality that rankles.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 12:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so.. we're hours away from the mainstream media and the GOP tearing apart Biden's VP nominee.

3. Whitmer - she's white, saved lives in Michigan and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
4. Harris - she's white, extraordinarily smart and scares the hell out of insecure white men.
5. Duckworth - an American hero, the living embodiment of a patriot and scares the hell out of insecure white men.

Shocker, Bob fixated on the word unlikable because his wife told him that theirs is a Kamala-for-VP household.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 13:17

the mainstream media is already at it..

Sexist Attacks Are Wrong. Someone Tell Sarah Palin.

I didn't like Sarah Palin because she was as dumb as a tree stump and a mind-numbing christian hypocrite. But these are the narratives we've come to expect from the elite media. It's only gonna get worse.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 13:18

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's not your opinions, which are unfailingly facile and predictable, it is your personality that rankles.
I'm sorry that my personality upsets you, dude. I really am.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 13:19

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:so.. we're hours away from the mainstream media and the GOP tearing apart Biden's VP nominee.

Shocker, Bob fixated on the word unlikable because his wife told him that theirs is a Kamala-for-VP household.
she's a brilliant lady.

(my wife.. not Kamala. Though she might be as well, I just don't know her).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 15:19

This is BS.

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1293253520200593408?s=21
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 15:21

Bob once Biden makes his announcement wait for Trump to do something crazy and the media will fawn over it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 15:32

steveschneider wrote:This is BS.

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1293253520200593408?s=21
they should let Yang hang.. and maybe say a couple of thangs.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-11, 15:35

steveschneider wrote:Bob once Biden makes his announcement wait for Trump to do something crazy and the media will fawn over it.
yep - like the Secret Service stunt yesterday. That was probably scheduled in anticipation of a VP announcement. Maybe a trial run.

regardless, the mainstream media will do what they can to help out the best thing that's ever happened to them.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-11, 15:48

Karen Bass not picked, per CNN. Making calls to those not chosen. Shouldn’t be long now.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 15:49

It's going to be K Harris.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-11, 15:56

Any guesses as to what Trump says to try and steal the moment?

Executive order banning Progressive Insurance Corp?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 16:03

kingstonlake wrote:Any guesses as to what Trump says to try and steal the moment?

Executive order banning Progressive Insurance Corp?

He fires Mike Pence and picks Nikki Haley.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-11, 16:52

If you’re going to prosecute a case against Trump. I guess she’sa good choice.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-11, 16:57

Just want to note I'm just as excited to vote for Biden today as I was yesterday. Election can't get here soon enough.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-11, 17:53

Joe Biden /Kamala Harris

THE LAW AND ORDER TICKET!!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-11, 18:09

steveschneider wrote:It's going to be K Harris.

I like it.

She's sassy.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-11, 18:29

Trump and his daughter (the one he wants to fuck, not the one that he says is too fat to have his picture take with) are apparently Kamala fans.

Donald and Ivanka Trump Donated to Kamala Harris' Bid for California Attorney General
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-08-12, 07:04

Trump mourns dead birds

and it is what it is when people die. What a disgusting pile of goo.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-12, 08:17

Biden VP pick Harris promoted group that put up bail for alleged violent criminals

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-12, 08:19

Kamala Harris an underwhelming pick for vice president

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next