Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the social dilemma on netflix

Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-09-16, 02:38

Truly a must watch and hits a lot of the issues we see in our daily life, whether it’s on a message board like the swill or at the dinner table.

Tell your friends, family, anyone to watch.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32214
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-09-16, 05:16

Been hearing about this from friends. Will watch.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15909
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-16, 08:50

I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22311
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-09-16, 09:02

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

I mean i feel like it’s already “fucked” us but is only probably going to get worse.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32214
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-16, 09:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

I mean i feel like it’s already “fucked” us but is only probably going to get worse.

Oh yeah, exactly. I'm freaked out that my kid's self worth will revolve around how many likes a picture gets. I loathe the day she wants to get a smart phone/watch/whatever the fuck kids will be using to connect in 6/7 years.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22311
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by steveschneider on 2020-09-16, 09:33

Solid recommend. Just going off the takes here I recall seeing an article in 60 Minutes with former Silicon Valley employees and they warned of the addictions and the dangers of social media. Fuck computers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 26657
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-09-16, 09:55

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

It's not all kids... actually I would venture to say 95% of the red hats are afflicted with these issues.

Kids these days are actually born into this crap... maybe they can put a "like" and "feed" into perspective when old people can't.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3446
Join date : 2014-04-22

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-09-16, 09:56

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

Honestly, I think they’ll be better prepared to handle it given that it’s been a fact of existence their entire lives when compared to the folks who are thrust into a internet world of bullshit after spending their first 50 years not having to wonder if a video they just saw on their phone was edited by a 16 year old in Thailand.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22723
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-09-16, 09:57

He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22723
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-09-16, 10:03

Maybe. I just don't think getting sucked in to whatever then next big social media platform will be during formative years will be a good thing.

Maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22311
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-09-16, 10:04

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Canada is closest... default go to. Get ya every time in the message board posting game.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3446
Join date : 2014-04-22

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 10:08

I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 31252
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : Currently on the couch

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-09-16, 10:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Canada is closest... default go to. Get ya every time in the message board posting game.

I was trying to be creative. I didn’t want to go with the boring standard boogie men like Russia
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22723
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-09-16, 10:26

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Maybe. I just don't think getting sucked in to whatever then next big social media platform will be during formative years will be a good thing.

Maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds.

the documentary kind of addresses the "we will figure it out" crowd.. I mean I get that argument to an extent, but their point is nothing in history has grown this fast so it's really hard to compare
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32214
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-09-16, 10:27

Turtleneck wrote:I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.

Didn't you suggest a book with a similar message? something with twitter and activism?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32214
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Turtleneck on 2020-09-16, 11:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.

Didn't you suggest a book with a similar message? something with twitter and activism?

Twitter and Teargas. Good book. It's about the mobilization of social movements and protest via digital technologies, and how tech has reshaped movements and protest. We see a lot of relevance right now to the ongoing protests in the U.S.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 31252
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : Currently on the couch

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Cameron on 2020-09-16, 13:07

steveschneider wrote:Solid recommend. Just going off the takes here I recall seeing an article in 60 Minutes with former Silicon Valley employees and they warned of the addictions and the dangers of social media.  Fuck computers.
Yeah, like mouthwash chugging failures not being able to peel themselves away from tBin for a single solitary week.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7621
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 32
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by steveschneider Yesterday at 22:36

Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I found ironic about the film was how it was on Netflix which is a platform fighting for your attention, has the algorithms and all that and the format of the film was very seductive itself...all the actors were thin body types, great looking people, there was careful editing to hold your attention, a soundtrack that was either relaxing or anxiety inducing and so on. I thought the message over all was powerful and spot on.

Watching the addiction in the dramatic sections of the doc were depressing. I gotta revisit the book at some point but I feel like Infinite Jest touched upon some of the themes in the film (loneliness, addiction, media) way back in the 90's. Thanks again for the recommendation.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 26657
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by CORNER BLITZ Today at 01:03

I know this movie is fake because they don't even mention that the lock-down has been to replace batteries in all the "birds"

I also feel like I missed out on pizzagate. Like I vaguely remember some talk on here, but outside of that have no recollection and that looks like some good internet



CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7887
Join date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Today at 01:22

steveschneider wrote:Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I found ironic about the film was how it was on Netflix which is a platform fighting for your attention, has the algorithms and all that and the format of the film was very seductive itself...all the actors were thin body types, great looking people, there was careful editing to hold your attention, a soundtrack that was either relaxing or anxiety inducing and so on. I thought the message over all was powerful and spot on.

Watching the addiction in the dramatic sections of the doc were depressing. I gotta revisit the book at some point but I feel like Infinite Jest touched upon some of the themes in the film (loneliness, addiction, media) way back in the 90's. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hope you enjoyed it, Steve. I learned a lot from it.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32214
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by steveschneider Today at 07:03

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I found ironic about the film was how it was on Netflix which is a platform fighting for your attention, has the algorithms and all that and the format of the film was very seductive itself...all the actors were thin body types, great looking people, there was careful editing to hold your attention, a soundtrack that was either relaxing or anxiety inducing and so on. I thought the message over all was powerful and spot on.

Watching the addiction in the dramatic sections of the doc were depressing. I gotta revisit the book at some point but I feel like Infinite Jest touched upon some of the themes in the film (loneliness, addiction, media) way back in the 90's. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hope you enjoyed it, Steve. I learned a lot from it.

Definitely enjoyed it and I learned a lot as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 26657
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Today at 07:21

CORNER BLITZ wrote:I know this movie is fake because they don't even mention that the lock-down has been to replace batteries in all the "birds"

I also feel like I missed out on pizzagate. Like I vaguely remember some talk on here, but outside of that have no recollection and that looks like some good internet




It’s really not too late but it’s really not good internet
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22723
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum