Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll BMW Automobiles

+14
kingstonlake
MSUisbetterthanu
Phil McCrackin
Ass Dan
Chitown_Badger
green night
SBSpartan
Heat Miser
The Pantry
Big Ten Referee
Three_Putt_Par
Turtleneck
WCS
SeeRockCity
18 posters

Go down

BMW Overrated status symbol or the ultimate driving machine

Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap3%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap42%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 13 ]
Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap29%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 9 ]
Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap16%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap6%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_lcap3%Poll BMW Automobiles Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 31

Poll Poll BMW Automobiles

Post by SeeRockCity Wed May 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Sure, they're nice, but do they really deserve the hype they get?

Dealerships don't seem like very friendly places (at least the front ends) and forget about finding a "deal". Seems like there are plenty of options out there that give you more for the money.

What say you?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Poll BMW Automobiles

Post by WCS Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 pm

I am a BMW owner...I'm going out shopping next week for another car. I'm looking at Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, and BMW...but I'll be surprised if any of them rise up to the level of BMW. BMW makes an excellent vehicle.

There is the Masaratti Ghibli that I'm very very interested in...but I'm staying away from that right now. There are a lot of very good brands out there. Porsche, Maseratti, Bentley, are very very good brands. I haven't heard anything about Tesla, but their brand is growing in popularity at the moment.

Last edited by WCS on Wed May 14, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed May 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Here is the right choice...

Poll BMW Automobiles 2013-Ford-F-350-Super-Duty-Lariat-Platinum-front-view
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS Wed May 14, 2014 7:10 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:Sure, they're nice, but do they really deserve the hype they get?  

Dealerships don't seem like very friendly places (at least the front ends) and forget about finding a "deal".  Seems like there are plenty of options out there that give you more for the money.

What say you?

The dealers are friendly with me...also, use Edmund true pricing to find out what you should expect to pay. They don't offer all of the incentives that American car makers do, but that doesn't mean they can't be negotiated with. I negotiated my last vehicle under invoice price.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Here is the right choice...

That's a nice vehicle!! Well done!!
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

I've drove a BMW only twice in my life. Don't remember the exact brand(s). Thought it was nice. Good power/great handling. (yeah, cool story bro)
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ten Referee Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 pm

The new 328i xDrive has AWD and runs a low to mid 14 second quarter mile and is capable of 30+ mpg in mixed driving. That is impressive.

A friend of mine has a 5 or 6 year old M5 and that car is an absolute monster even in stock form.

My vote is "worth the money".
Big Ten Referee
Big Ten Referee
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

WCS wrote:I am a BMW owner...I'm going out shopping next week for another car. I'm looking at Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, and BMW...but I'll be surprised if any of them rise up to the level of BMW. BMW makes an excellent vehicle.

There is the Masaratti Ghibli that I'm very very interested in...but I'm staying away from that right now. There are a lot of very good brands out there. Porsche, Maseratti, Bentley, are very very good brands. I haven't heard anything about Tesla, but their brand is growing in popularity at the moment.
You misspelled it twice so I'm assuming you don't know Maserati is back to being a Fiat brand, right? Overpriced even at half the sticker.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed May 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Love my 528I. Now if I could just get that Wave Runner...then I'd be a baller!
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 pm

I am not a car guy at all but they are nice rides for sure. That said I am of the belief new cars of any brand are a total rip.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 pm

SBSpartan wrote:I am not a car guy at all but they are nice rides for sure. That said I am of the belief new cars of any brand are a total rip.

???

Poll BMW Automobiles Horse-buggy-amish
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan Wed May 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

???

That's a used horse and carriage not a car.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 pm

SBSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

???

That's a used horse and carriage not a car.

I think he was pointing out the red Chevy in the background.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan Wed May 14, 2014 9:52 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

I think he was pointing out the red Chevy in the background.

Even I am better at the internet than that and I am god awful at it.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:Sure, they're nice, but do they really deserve the hype they get?  

Dealerships don't seem like very friendly places (at least the front ends) and forget about finding a "deal".  Seems like there are plenty of options out there that give you more for the money.

What say you?

My opinion, go with a 2 - 4 year old luxury vehicle in excellent shape. 1 owner and miles from the driver to and from work. 25-40% off sticker ... drive it for a 5 or 6 years and do it again.

I recently picked up a 3 yr old jag xf ... the deal was too good to pass up. .... so glad i did and I absolutely love it. I like the BMWs though, quality vehicles.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 pm

green night wrote:

What say you?

My opinion, go with a 2 - 4 year old luxury vehicle in excellent shape.  1 owner and miles from the driver to and from work.  25-40% off sticker ... drive it for a 5 or 6 years and do it again.  

I recently picked up a 3 yr old jag xf ... the deal was too good to pass up. .... so glad i did and I absolutely love it.  I like the BMWs though, quality vehicles.  

This...

I tend to avoid the German cars though due to fear of cost of ownership issues.  Audi is not as bad, but BMW and Mercedes are brutal.  Freind of mine has a slightly used 5-something and estimates about $2500 per year in maintenance costs.  Ouch.

Currently tooling around in a 2012 G37 prem/nav I recently picked up.  Before that I had a Saab 9-5 that I got 8 years and 100k miles out of.  The Saab cost me $14k with very little maintenance which puts it at around $145 /mo.

I looked at getting a 3 but it just seemed like a ripoff to me and it was tiny.  The 5 series would have been sweet and I found a few in my price range with the right miles, etc, but after a long talk with my trusty mechanic who basically confirmed my maintenance cost fears and I dropped them from the list.  As far as driving experience, the 3 didn't drive that much better than the G in my limited test drive.  Seemed to have a LOT of lag on take off which I really didn't like.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:

I agree. Right now I'm tossing around garaging my Rubicon and picking up a daily driver. I'm looking at a used A4 or 3 series, maybe about 10 years old, single owner, maintenance records. I'd rather pay 8k on a used BMW with 75-100k miles in excellent condition than buy any brand new car under 25k. In fact, I'm looking more in the 5k range.

I agree completely. I have a 12 year old car a friend of mine is driving right now and a 10 year I am driving. Both paid off long ago. Why buy new when you can drop down 8-10k and drive it for like a decade?

Hell I drive to work for the most part. I don't need to drop 30k plus on something I am in for like 40 min a day.

New cars are a rip.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 pm

I just bought my car not long ago, and was seriously considering BMW along with Infiniti, Audi, and Mercedes. But when I was comparing what I would get for the money, BMW didn't offer the same value, and of course there's always the maintenance costs. I also wasn't too impressed with the interior styling. So I ended up with the Infiniti M37. Love the styling, refinement, and power, plus I was able to get more bells and whistles at my price point than with the BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. And maintenance costs will be much lower. Only had it for two weeks thus far, but so far I'm happy with my decision.

I don't doubt that a lot of people get a BMW because they are a status symbol in addition to being fun to drive, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Chitown_Badger wrote:I just bought my car not long ago, and was seriously considering BMW along with Infiniti, Audi, and Mercedes. But when I was comparing what I would get for the money, BMW didn't offer the same value, and of course there's always the maintenance costs. I also wasn't too impressed with the interior styling. So I ended up with the Infiniti M37. Love the styling, refinement, and power, plus I was able to get more bells and whistles at my price point than with the BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. And maintenance costs will be much lower. Only had it for two weeks thus far, but so far I'm happy with my decision.

I don't doubt that a lot of people get a BMW because they are a status symbol in addition to being fun to drive, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My mother has an Infinity and it's been a maintenance nightmare. I have a BMW and it's been virtually maintenance free. Poll BMW Automobiles 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 am

SeeRockCity wrote:

This...

I tend to avoid the German cars though due to fear of cost of ownership issues.  Audi is not as bad, but BMW and Mercedes are brutal.  Freind of mine has a slightly used 5-something and estimates about $2500 per year in maintenance costs.  Ouch.

Currently tooling around in a 2012 G37 prem/nav I recently picked up.  Before that I had a Saab 9-5 that I got 8 years and 100k miles out of.  The Saab cost me $14k with very little maintenance which puts it at around $145 /mo.

I looked at getting a 3 but it just seemed like a ripoff to me and it was tiny.  The 5 series would have been sweet and I found a few in my price range with the right miles, etc, but after a long talk with my trusty mechanic who basically confirmed my maintenance cost fears and I dropped them from the list.  As far as driving experience, the 3 didn't drive that much better than the G in my limited test drive.  Seemed to have a LOT of lag on take off which I really didn't like.

Maintenance is free on the BMW...I only pay for tires. BMW and Cadillac are the only manufacturers that stand behind their vehicles.

I had an infiniti g37 coupe before this one, worst car I've ever owned. Had the engine replaced at 100k miles...just a horrible experience with that car.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 am

Heat Miser wrote:

My mother has an Infinity and it's been a maintenance nightmare. I have a BMW and it's been virtually maintenance free. Poll BMW Automobiles 2599972566

My infinity was indeed a maintenance nightmare...definitely staying away from them. However, I will give them the honor of having the best in-cabin technology of any make out there.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu May 15, 2014 2:51 am

As an admitted shill for American cars, I just can't see how having a bmw compares to owning a Cadillac. In my mind a Cadillac is as impressive a drive as any, usually car reviews back that up.

I just would rather have a Cadillac, a car which costs way less to maintain, over a more expensive car that I couldn't see more value in
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu May 15, 2014 2:57 am

Ass Dan wrote:As an admitted shill for American cars, I just can't see how having a bmw compares to owning a Cadillac. In my mind a Cadillac is as impressive a drive as any, usually car reviews back that up.

I just would rather have a Cadillac, a car which costs way less to maintain, over a more expensive car that I couldn't see more value in

In 4.5 years my BMW has cost me exactly $0 to maintain. I don't know how you can get less than that. Plus, I can't stand the style of the Caddy. Too angular. Like a stealth fighter...which is 1980's technology.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 am

BMWs are great cars, but I would not describe them as a good value.

The maintenance concerns are mostly overblown, in my opinion.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUisbetterthanu Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am

I've driven a 2009 328xi for about 3 years now. There really is something to be said about how fun they are to drive - the handling, braking, etc. is what sets it apart from any of its competitors IMO.

However, maintenance is expensive. Even if you get a deal on a BMW, it's still an expensive car to own. Getting an oil change will cost you ~$90 for instance. I'd suggest getting an extended warranty. I splurged on one, but it's already paid for itself with a couple of issues I had. I think the best bet is a certified preowned. They cost a little more than some used models, but they come with an extended warranty and they are inspected prior to getting the CPO label.
MSUisbetterthanu
MSUisbetterthanu
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu May 15, 2014 9:18 am

If you're interested in dropping a quarter million on Michigan based company building a Chevy powered late 60's Mustang........

Equus 770
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am

I've had a ridiculous number of different BMWs over the last 15 years, after getting hooked on a '93 740i that I saw sitting on a used car lot in '98. I had a brand new '97 Ford Thunderbird that I thought was the shiz.. Well, after testing out that Bimmer, I was hooked. The TBird felt like a total piece of crap after getting back in it.

Then I went smaller, got a used 5 series, then added an M3 (still have it), got rid of the 5er for a newer one, somehow mixed in a '01 740i, sold that, bought another new 330i for the Wife 7 years ago and our Daughter has bought that one from us. In the meantime, I've bought and sold a couple others and have held onto the M3 and have traded up a newer 7 series again so that I seem to always have a 4-6 year old one around as the daily driver. The cars are fantastic values/bargains after 4 years or so.. I mean like HALF of their original cost, and they can still have a bit of the manufacturer's warrantee on them so you can beat the crap out of it and make sure the big ticket repairs are covered.

As many have said, the cost of maintenance, even after their manufacturer's service package, is overblown..all shops charge over 100.00 per hour now and brakes all wear the same and there are a bunch of computers in all cars now. Stuff goes bad..

In the older BMWs, they tended to have "wear" parts in the suspension and steering (like control arm bushings) that needed replacement after 60k miles and that was just the price you pay to play, IMO. The steering and handling is something you can't live without once it's experienced and you get used to the cars. And there are a lot of local BMW clubs and track days for a reason-people love modding and driving the cars hard. I've not heard of a Lexus or Infinity or really a Mercedes Track Day..it's just not an issue for their drivers. They are more utilitarian, generally.

I drove a friends band spanking new Mercedes s55 the other day w that was a 115,000 car. It was fantastic, but very complicated, electronically, and felt like I was driving on a couch compared to my (now) 5 year old 750i that I spent 36k on. They both have basically all the same features. The Mercedes is just a tad quieter and a tad smoother. When we pushed it through some nice twisties, that was all I needed to feel/know. The BMW just feels like a sports car, compared to it, even though it weighs in the same at 4700 lbs. Both Twin Turbo V8s.  

I just get a kick out of saving a ton of money on the used ones (although have bought a couple brand new) and then also giving the middle finger to a dealer that'd want 220 bucks for an oil change when I can do it myself for about 60.  Poll BMW Automobiles 2809484752 

Independent shops are also a great way to get to know your car and to save bank if you want to get a luxury car used and have it inspected and then maintained.
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Thu May 15, 2014 11:01 am

Turtleneck wrote:Here is the right choice...

Nice! I've wanted a new SD but I've resigned myself to keeping the old workhorse '04 I have. It is a 6.0L but there are a few things that can be done to strengthen the longevity of the engine and then there are sooo many toys that can be bought to bring the power up nicely. I hardly drive mine, just use it for Farm stuff and towing..

I have to keep that cost center down as there are other cars I have that are a bit of a financial curse Neutral  But I love the Ford Powerstrokes. It's funny how truck owners are so loyal to their Fords/Chevys and Dodges. Dad had one and something something swore by it something..

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Thu May 15, 2014 11:50 am

If you never keep a car that's not under warranty it's not really a problem. When it becomes an issue is if you do.

And pointing to one type of car you had one time and using that as proof that said car model or manufacturer is or is not reliable is like pointing to the weather on one day and using that as proof for or against global warming.

It's a calculated risk taken based on cumulative data for thousands of cars. Based on that, Lexus tends to be the best, and the German cars don't fare particularly well. The whole "German engineering" thing does not exactly translate into excellent reliability.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/are-german-cars-reliable-myth-german-engineering.html

"In Consumer Reports last five annual reports, the last time these German brands have been above average in reliability was back in 2007. Since then, they’ve all slumped below the average in the industry."
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Thu May 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Chitown_Badger wrote:If you never keep a car that's not under warranty it's not really a problem. When it becomes an issue is if you do.

And pointing to one type of car you had one time and using that as proof that said car model or manufacturer is or is not reliable is like pointing to the weather on one day and using that as proof for or against global warming.

It's a calculated risk taken based on cumulative data for thousands of cars. Based on that, Lexus tends to be the best, and the German cars don't fare particularly well. The whole "German engineering" thing does not exactly translate into excellent reliability.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/are-german-cars-reliable-myth-german-engineering.html

"In Consumer Reports last five annual reports, the last time these German brands have been above average in reliability was back in 2007. Since then, they’ve all slumped below the average in the industry."

Yeah, but they go around corners really well.
I've never driven a 4 door car that handles as well as a BMW 3 series. I just wish the 335i didn't cost so friggin much or I'd own one. By the time you add sat/nav, leather, cold weather package, etc the car is like $50k.

I had a 1991 BMW 318is for a while about 10 years ago. Really fun car. Not much power, but my god could that thing turn.

I've casually looked for E30's over the past few years and have toyed with the idea of buying one just to mess around with. Most need a lot of work though and I don't have time for that these days.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Sponge Worthy wrote:

Nice! I've wanted a new SD but I've resigned myself to keeping the old workhorse '04 I have. It is a 6.0L but there are a few things that can be done to strengthen the longevity of the engine and then there are sooo many toys that can be bought to bring the power up nicely. I hardly drive mine, just use it for Farm stuff and towing..

We all want a new SD, but the annoying little pest keeps showing up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Thu May 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Yeah, but they go around corners really well.
I've never driven a 4 door car that handles as well as a BMW 3 series. I just wish the 335i didn't cost so friggin much or I'd own one. By the time you add sat/nav, leather, cold weather package, etc the car is like $50k.

I had a 1991 BMW 318is for a while about 10 years ago. Really fun car. Not much power, but my god could that thing turn.

I've casually looked for E30's over the past few years and have toyed with the idea of buying one just to mess around with. Most need a lot of work though and I don't have time for that these days.

E30s have a cult-following. There are a lot of them out there that are also in excellent shape, well modded and cared for, etc. but yeah, they are going up in value. The E34s (535s and 540s especially) are doing the same thing. E36s are not bad but they tend to have pretty flimsy bodies and cheap interiors. They handle great and still get fantastic mileage, though.

The fun part of the used BMWs is that they tend to all have followers and you can get a ton of good advice on fix-ups and modifications. That, and the fact that they all have their own personalities and variances unique to their body (ie E34, E32, E30 E90 etc) The cars in general just hold their age very well, style wise, so there are a lot of interested buyers as they age. I guess that's what they mean by "timeless" design Wink

The smartest thing BMW did was to develop a car that was fun, first, as it grew a generation or two of people that are extremely loyal and they get addicted to the cars, old and new. It developed race series and clubs, track events, local concourse events and National ones, etc. The enthusiasm grew their brand to the point of it being watered down somewhat nowadays, but then again, all cars are morphing into being very very similar. They also were smart to keep them rear wheel driven, as that only adds to the mystique and sport of the cars.

If the time spent in the garage is not your thing, I can see why you'd just stay away, though. Cars can keep you busy for as many hours as you want to spend..it's not for everybody.

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Thu May 15, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm on my second one - a 335 hard top convertible. 300hp twin turbo.

It's a fun ride.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK Thu May 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Put me in the "nice ride but also huge status symbol" camp. I think every broker I've ever met drives a black Beamer. I think it's part of the hire-in process. I wonder if they have their own secret handshake too.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down