Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights

3 posters

Go down

Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights Empty Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-22, 07:08

It’s the one of the last major sports property that will be up for bid to the sports networks this decade. ESPN which currently holds the rights will now be up against CBS, Fox, NBC and Turner in bidding for the Big Ten.

As the current contract ends after the 2016-17 season, the Big Ten hopes that it can get a higher rights fee by getting the networks to bid against each other. The conventional wisdom is that ESPN and Fox will split the main contract. ESPN has been airing football and basketball games, Fox has the Big Ten Football Championship and runs the Big Ten Network, an agreement that runs into the 2030’s.

But as Sports Business Journal reports, both ESPN and Fox have been undergoing cost cuts due to cord cutting and increased sports rights fees so their bids may not be as high as the Big Ten would like.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big-ten-conference-is-now-taking-bids-from-the-networks-for-its-rights.html]http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big-ten-conference-is-now-taking-bids-from-the-networks-for-its-rights.html
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights Empty Re: Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-22, 07:10

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd like to see the Big Ten go with Turner personally. They have TBS, TNT, and TruTV to spread the games out on and seem more progressive in how they would handle streaming.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights Empty Re: Big Ten taking bids from the networks for its rights

Post by Turtleneck 2016-03-22, 07:32

I am not interested in how this plays out.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-03-22, 07:43

One thing is for certain, the big ten could give a shit about espn. Fuck you, Pay me
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-22, 08:00

Blanch32 wrote:One thing is for certain, the big ten could give a shit about espn.  Fuck you, Pay me
To me there are only three players for the bulk of the rights because they have viable channels available.

ESPN: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2
FOX: FOX, FS1, FX
Turner: TBS, TNT, TruTv

I think that CBS and NBC are only players for a secondary OTA contract. CBS and NBC's sports cable channels are kind of lame, and I don't think the Big Ten wants to be on those.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down