Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece

+3
BleacherSwill
steveschneider
SpartanInNH
7 posters

Go down

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece Empty "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-16, 22:20

H/T to whoever said it in the "RIP Paul Kantner" thread, Steve or Roc or whoever it was. I stood up for "Volunteers," and still do, but you were right: Surrealistic Pillow is a goddamned masterpiece.

SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece Empty Re: "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece

Post by steveschneider 2016-05-16, 22:43

Yeah, that album is so good. There's all of the obvious classics on there and then there's some great folk tunes as well that you'll never know about unless you listen to the album. I love the skip spence song 'My Best Friend'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece Empty Re: "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-17, 07:16

steveschneider wrote:Yeah, that album is so good. There's all of the obvious classics on there and then there's some great folk tunes as well that you'll never know about unless you listen to the album. I love the skip spence song 'My Best Friend'.

THREE-FIFTHS OF A MILE IN TEN SECONDS!
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-05-17, 07:44

Surrealistic Pillow is fabulous. And only a year later imho, a stinker in Crown of Creation.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-05-17, 08:33

One of my first memories as a kid was hearing about Jefferson Starship coming to play at the Ionia Free Fair. I remember thinking it would be cool if they showed up in the Gravitron. I was a pretty dumb kid.

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece WisdomGravitron2
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-05-17, 09:36

BleacherSwill wrote:Surrealistic Pillow is fabulous. And only a year later imho, a stinker in Crown of Creation.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with any of their other albums. I had a few of them and sold them. I kept Surrealistic Pillow and a greatest hits compilation.

I'll say it again in this thread, but I really enjoyed the The Great Society which is Grace's first band. That's where 'Somebody to Love' and 'White Rabbit' are originally from. The quality of recording is sub par, but there's more guitar noodling and jamming. It's a pretty trippy record.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-17, 21:46

steveschneider wrote:
BleacherSwill wrote:Surrealistic Pillow is fabulous. And only a year later imho, a stinker in Crown of Creation.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with any of their other albums. I had a few of them and sold them. I kept Surrealistic Pillow and a greatest hits compilation.

I'll say it again in this thread, but I really enjoyed the The Great Society which is Grace's first band. That's where 'Somebody to Love' and 'White Rabbit' are originally from. The quality of recording is sub par, but there's more guitar noodling and jamming. It's a pretty trippy record.

Why can't I get any love for Volunteers? "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece 2599972566

I never bothered with Crown of Creation, so won't contest the point. But Jefferson Airplane had two fuckin' great albums, friend, not just one jewel.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-05-18, 23:08

steveschneider wrote:

Holy hell.

I like one of the comments: "Not drug induced. Not at all." "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece 502811600
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-18, 23:15

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:One of my first memories as a kid was hearing about Jefferson Starship coming to play at the Ionia Free Fair. I remember thinking it would be cool if they showed up in the Gravitron. I was a pretty dumb kid.

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece WisdomGravitron2

Things have not changed much.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-05-18, 23:19

SpartanInNH wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Holy hell.

I like one of the comments: "Not drug induced. Not at all." "Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece 502811600

I'll check out volunteers again. I had some box set a long time ago I got off of bmg and I have to say a lot of the material sounded like a bad acid trip. I'm sure that's the next best album.

Yeah, I have some great society album and it's some studio and some live stuff. I like a lot of their improvisations and they have some catchy tunes. One is about Lenny Bruce's fall from a window and I think the other one is called often as I may.

One other 60s band you might like is the shocking blue. Nirvana covered their song love buzz.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-06-04, 23:29

"Wooden Ships," from Volunteers.  You've probably heard the CSN version - Paul Kantner actually co-wrote it.  Grace Slick's voice is amazing.  

Some history on the song:

The Story behind "Wooden Ships"
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-09-24, 19:46

Just put this album on. Thought everybody should know.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-24, 19:50

Turtleneck wrote:Just put this album on. Thought everybody should know.

Fuck it about to do the same.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-09-24, 20:00

steveschneider wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Just put this album on. Thought everybody should know.

Fuck it about to do the same.

tSwill listening party!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-09-25, 13:38

This turned into listening to Volunteers today.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-09-25, 14:48

And Pylon is still dumb.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-09-25, 15:15

i thought this thread would be about a pillow to go with matty's  weighted blanket

"Surrealistic Pillow" is a goddamned masterpiece 1f610
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-25, 16:41

Turtleneck wrote:This turned into listening to Volunteers today.

I can't get past Surrealistic My Pillow. That album is a masterpiece. The song 'My Best Friend' is my pick for best JA deep cut.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-25, 17:36

tGreenWay wrote:And Pylon is still dumb.

You wanna know why everyone hates you?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down