Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mulch aspects

+16
Phil McCrackin
Robert J Sakimano
ROtown Sparty
Sponge Worthy
goodbar
AvgMSUJoe
Herbie Green
GirbaudJeans
Izzo Court
The Pantry
By-Tor
Cym Jim
LoneWolfSparty
I.B. Fine
SBSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mulch aspects  Empty mulch aspects

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-17, 12:04

Learn me on some mulch. What kind should I get, hire much should I pay, should u have to do it every year vs. Every other year, etc.

We paid a lot to have it done last year, and it looks like shit already. If I buy better stuff is it less likely that I would have to do it every year?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

mulch aspects  Empty Re: mulch aspects

Post by SBSpartan 2014-05-17, 12:09

You really need as much as it will take to get it like 2-3 inches thick. Natural stuff will not look as good in a few months. Have to get it dyed for sure.

I don't think the depot sale is going on anymore. If you need a to of it then get someone to bring a truck full if you have a wheelbarrow.

That should do you for a year or so. Next batch can go right on top.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-05-17, 12:14

Take a rake and try turning it over/stir it up, if they put enough down, that might be all you need to do.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-18, 00:44

The plastic stuff is worth the extra cost.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-18, 00:54

LoneWolfSparty wrote:The plastic stuff is worth the extra cost.

That statement built this great land.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-05-18, 01:00

I.B. Fine wrote:Take a rake and try turning it over/stir it up, if they put enough down, that might be all you need to do.

agree. but roundup the weeds first. and keep the kids inside. wait a week and then till and overturn what is in your landscape beds already. It will look as fresh as buying new mulch. if adding new mulch, use triple cut hardwood.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-05-18, 01:54

Use one of these bad boys when tilling.     Landscape will look good as new.  mulch aspects  028788
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-05-18, 02:04

Cedar mulch is best cuz it helps keep insects away from the house.  It turns gray eventually.  Every 2 years.

http://www.westlakesod.com/Pages/default.aspx
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-18, 02:04

Thanks B-T. Good tips.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-05-18, 08:16

I like black mulch. It makes the flowerbeds stand out.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans 2014-05-18, 09:12

Because of the heat and sun we have to do it twice a year here. I pay $400 to have it done in our current house.
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-05-18, 11:27

GirbaudJeans wrote:Because of the heat and sun we have to do it twice a year here. I pay $400 to have it done in our current house.

Where do you live Beverly Hills?

I suppose I could see it costing that much with all the labor involved plus delivery.

I fill up my utility trailer (one of the best investments I have ever made) with cedar mulch. I don't think I have the motivation this year though as I have been dealing with branches for the last month from the winter storms. If I do I might get the free wood chips from the township for a full circle recycle.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans 2014-05-18, 11:41

Herbie Green wrote:

Where do you live Beverly Hills?

I suppose I could see it costing that much with all the labor involved plus delivery.

I fill up my utility trailer (one of the best investments I have ever made) with cedar mulch. I don't think I have the motivation this year though as I have been dealing with branches for the last month from the winter storms. If I do I might get the free wood chips from the township for a full circle recycle.

I hate yard work. I hate yard work when it's 100+ degrees out even more so I pay a company to do it.
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-05-19, 10:38

We have the cloth stuff beneath the mulch. Last couple years we have just added "brown" much to what we have, mix it up. Looks good. It is starting to become "dirt like" consistency though. Weeds are growing in it. Might have to replace all of it. ug.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-19, 11:02

My quote was 675 for double shredded hardwood, 3" deep. Will require about 15 yards. I'm going to get another quote but seems pretty reasonable to me if it's decent stuff. Most places around here charge about $30/yard + delivery is probably going to be in the 50-75 range. So I'm paying $150-$175 in labor to avoid having to spend a weekend spreading 15 yards of mulch. Sign me up.

Is double shredded hard wood pretty decent? We don't like the red or black shit.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-05-19, 11:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My quote was 675 for double shredded hardwood, 3" deep. Will require about 15 yards. I'm going to get another quote but seems pretty reasonable to me if it's decent stuff. Most places around here charge about $30/yard + delivery is probably going to be in the 50-75 range. So I'm paying $150-$175 in labor to avoid having to spend a weekend spreading 15 yards of mulch. Sign me up.

Is double shredded hard wood pretty decent? We don't like the red or black shit.

I was gonna say earlier, just like ordering dirt: however much you think you need?.....its not enough, order a bit more. In my case, when we first moved into our house I walked it off, did the math, yada, yada, figured I needed 7 yards. Yeah, after that first time I found out that 9 yards was the real amount to have dropped in the drive.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-05-19, 11:47

The biggest growth trend out here in the NorthWest is just basic organic compost..which makes a lot of sense. Even though there is abundant barkdust or bark chips, they still go from reddish to brown to grey very quickly..whereas compost is readily available, is cheaper, turns to nice soil eventually, and stays pretty much black all the time and a tiny bit can be added to the top surface and can be fluffed-up to look fresh whenever you want.

I've been investing in the "bark rock" (like chunky bark) for the last several years as it doesn't decompose near as fast as bark dust, but it too turns color quickly and just means a huge re-investment every 2-3 years. I'm starting to build my own pile of sawdust with horse manure in it for compost anyway and will start sprinkling this down and treating with Roundup for weeds in the future.
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty 2014-05-19, 12:46

I always just get the cypress since it's the cheapest. I wait for it to go on sale and buy about 20 bags once a year. Every once in a while I'll turn it over to keep it looking fresh.
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 12:49

I mulch a few beds at the Sakimano Estate... and around some trees. Otherwise, I just stay on top of weeding and watering - luckily we have quite a few shady areas so neither are too much of a problem.

I think I go with the cypress mulch - though I'm not sure. It's the brownish, deep orange-ish color one..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-05-19, 12:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I mulch a few beds at the Sakimano Estate... and around some trees. Otherwise, I just stay on top of weeding and watering - luckily we have quite a few shady areas so neither are too much of a problem.

I think I go with the cypress mulch - though I'm not sure. It's the brownish, deep orange-ish color one..

Is that the gluten free mulch, Bob?
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 12:58

goodbar wrote:

Is that the gluten free mulch, Bob?
I order mine with extra gluten..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-05-19, 13:02

Dyed mulch is pretty hideous looking. I can't believe people buy that crap and put it all over their yards.
While we're at it, stop pruning your boxwoods into little meatballs.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride 2014-05-19, 13:09

Anyone have experience putting down rocks (decent sized rocks and pretty thick) to avoid weeds? I'd think if the rock layer was thick enough the weeds would be few and far between
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 13:17

Phil McCrackin wrote:Dyed mulch is pretty hideous looking. I can't believe people buy that crap and put it all over their yards.
While we're at it, stop pruning your boxwoods into little meatballs.

better yet, dig up the boxwoods.. now.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 13:17

Spartan Pride wrote:Anyone have experience putting down rocks (decent sized rocks and pretty thick) to avoid weeds? I'd think if the rock layer was thick enough the weeds would be few and far between
I applaud you for wanting your house to look like Burger King..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-05-19, 13:25

Spartan Pride wrote:Anyone have experience putting down rocks (decent sized rocks and pretty thick) to avoid weeds? I'd think if the rock layer was thick enough the weeds would be few and far between

Round river rock, yes..lava rock like Circa 1994..no

Rocks are great for the ability to blow shit off with a powerful leaf blower, too.

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-05-19, 14:00

AvgMSUJoe wrote:We have the cloth stuff beneath the mulch. Last couple years we have just added "brown" much to what we have, mix it up. Looks good. It is starting to become "dirt like" consistency though. Weeds are growing in it. Might have to replace all of it. ug.

Fabric under mulch is a big no-no. Fabric goes under rocks.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-05-19, 15:28

By-Tor wrote:

Fabric under mulch is a big no-no.  Fabric goes under rocks.  
Why? It works... Year 6 and no real weed problems.

(although starting this year because of the depth and consistency of previous year's mulch degrading.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-19, 15:34

I just wanted to be part of the first BTP about yard mulch in the history of the board.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride 2014-05-19, 16:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I applaud you for wanting your house to look like Burger King..

I, unlike many other great Americans, cant afford to put massive amounts of mulch on my yard every year. I have a pretty huge area I want to cover.
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride 2014-05-19, 16:20

Sponge Worthy wrote:

Round river rock, yes..lava rock like Circa 1994..no

Rocks are great for the ability to blow shit off with a powerful leaf blower, too.

So you're saying round river rock will do a good job with weeds and lava rock like circa 1994 won't?
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-05-19, 16:50

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Why? It works... Year 6 and no real weed problems.

(although starting this year because of the depth and consistency of previous year's mulch degrading.)

No real weed problems has nothing to do with having fabric. Weeds will germinate on top of the fabric into the mulch and grow. Roots will then start growing through the fabric becoming a pain to pull. Also, the fabric doesn't allow the mulch to decompose into the soil thus leaving you with just layers of old mulch in top of fabric. Not ideal for planting. There isn't one reputable landscaper that would recommend fabric under mulch.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan 2014-05-19, 21:09

Guys you can't stop weeds. You can't. You can however prevent tons of them. Then it's up to you.

Don't put fabric under the mulch just out down a thick layer of mulch and weed from time to time.

If you need tons of mulch buy a truck full and have it delivered. It's really not that expensive if you take the time to spread it yourself.

SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-19, 22:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My quote was 675 for double shredded hardwood, 3" deep. Will require about 15 yards. I'm going to get another quote but seems pretty reasonable to me if it's decent stuff. Most places around here charge about $30/yard + delivery is probably going to be in the 50-75 range. So I'm paying $150-$175 in labor to avoid having to spend a weekend spreading 15 yards of mulch. Sign me up.

2nd quote came in for $575 for 8 yards.

I think I know who does a good job and who doesn't.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty 2014-05-20, 08:36

By-Tor wrote:

No real weed problems has nothing to do with having fabric.    Weeds will germinate on top of the fabric into the mulch and grow.  Roots will then start growing through the fabric becoming a pain to pull.   Also, the fabric doesn't allow the mulch to decompose into the soil thus leaving you with just layers of old mulch in top of fabric.     Not ideal for planting.   There isn't one reputable landscaper that would recommend fabric under mulch.

Eh, I've got mostly mulch over fabric expect for a few smaller areas with just mulch. The fabric areas are relatively weed free but in the other areas the weeds grow like crazy. I put a new layer of mulch on every year and weed once in a while. Yes, I still get weeds coming up through the mulch. Yes, sometimes it's pain in the ass to pull through the fabric. But the difference in the number of weeds makes up for it by a long shot.

From what I've found the mulch will decompose, it doesn't get into the soil, it just gets thinner. And I don't really give a shit what landscapers recommend, they don't have to pull weeds in my yard.
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-20, 08:39

ROtown Sparty wrote:

Eh, I've got mostly mulch over fabric expect for a few smaller areas with just mulch.  The fabric areas are relatively weed free but in the other areas the weeds grow like crazy.  I put a new layer of mulch on every year and weed once in a while.  Yes, I still get weeds coming up through the mulch.  Yes, sometimes it's pain in the ass to pull through the fabric.  But the difference in the number of weeds makes up for it by a long shot.

From what I've found the mulch will decompose, it doesn't get into the soil, it just gets thinner.  And I don't really give a shit what landscapers recommend, they don't have to pull weeds in my yard.  

That fabric is the spawn of satan.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-05-20, 09:27

I bought a wood chipper this year. It makes AWESOME mulch. The only thing I did wrong was get one that only accepts 3" branches. I end up with a stack of stuff that I have to burn that I would like to chip.

I originally added leaves to the hopper on the top and they turned to dust. Once I stayed with just wood, the chips were perfect. For my other buildings I have to have it delivered as we need 10-12 yards at a time. I always buy natural and it lasts for about two to three years.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-20, 09:33

MasonGuy wrote:I bought a wood chipper this year.  It makes AWESOME mulch.  The only thing I did wrong was get one that only accepts 3" branches.  I end up with a stack of stuff that I have to burn that I would like to chip.  

I originally added leaves to the hopper on the top and they turned to dust.  Once I stayed with just wood, the chips were perfect.  For my other buildings I have to have it delivered as we need 10-12 yards at a time.  I always buy natural and it lasts for about two to three years.
after the ice storm, I could've used a wood chipper.. my back yard was a wreck.

Thankfully, the City of EL did a few free curbside pickups early in the spring..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Ninja 2014-05-20, 09:38

I wanted to have a nice yard, then we got a puppy who thinks mulch is a tasty treat. Any tips for a mulch that dogs dont like to eat?
Green Ninja
Green Ninja
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-05-20, 10:28

By-Tor wrote:

No real weed problems has nothing to do with having fabric.    Weeds will germinate on top of the fabric into the mulch and grow.  Roots will then start growing through the fabric becoming a pain to pull.   Also, the fabric doesn't allow the mulch to decompose into the soil thus leaving you with just layers of old mulch in top of fabric.     Not ideal for planting.   There isn't one reputable landscaper that would recommend fabric under mulch.

Agree with this. Mulch isn't going to stop weeds (though it may slow weed growth a bit). The point of using mulch around plants is that it helps retain moisture and as the mulch breaks down it provides nutrients to the soil.

Mulch won't do either as well if it is installed on top of a barrier/fabric, and the barrier isn't going to stop weeds anyways.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum