Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread

+4
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
8 posters

Go down

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread Empty tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 17:40

Well, this is going to be interesting. The Brazilian president has been impeached, the political protests that coincided with the World Cup will only be more intense for the Olympic Games, and the outbreak of the Zika virus might threaten turnout. Today the WHO suggested the games be moved or postponed due to the Zika virus. That is unlikely but it could mean limited turnout from tourists or even fewer delegations.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/27/health/zika-virus-olympic-games-health-officials-postpone/index.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread Empty Re: tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016 - 18:21

I want to seize this opportunity to start the rumor that the United States has ordered 500 Red, White and Blue caskets for the Zika casualties.  

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread FLAGCASKETPROOF
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 18:37

Hey, did anybody else hear the US has been using closed Walmart stores in Texas to prepare for an invasion and military occupation of Brazil? They are going to use the Zika virus - is a pandemic waiting to happen - as the reason. They have something like 500 caskets already ordered for expected casualties.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 27 May 2016 - 19:01

Turtleneck wrote:Hey, did anybody else hear the US has been using closed Walmart stores in Texas to prepare for an invasion and military occupation of Brazil? They are going to use the Zika virus - is a pandemic waiting to happen - as the reason. They have something like 500 caskets already ordered for expected casualties.

Yeah right, there's no way in hell that's going to happen anytime before Hillary gets elected and does away with the 2nd Amendment by executive order. Once she does that the military is going to go house by house and confiscate everyone's guns.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 27 May 2016 - 19:50

LooseGoose wrote:I want to seize this opportunity to start the rumor that the United States has ordered 500 Red, White and Blue caskets for the Zika casualties.  

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread FLAGCASKETPROOF

Why bother with caskets? Those athletes who travel to Brazil should simply be turned away at the border.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 20:42

Why do they keep having these international events in third world hell holes turtleneck?

Other than the bribes. Why else?

I withdrawal my question.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 27 May 2016 - 20:54

Zika Fears Prompt 150 Public Health Experts to Call for Olympics to Be Moved From Rio

A group of 150 prominent scientists, doctors and medical ethicists have signed a letter calling for this summer's Olympic Games to be postponed or moved from Rio de Janeiro due to the ongoing Zika virus outbreak in Brazil.

In a letter directed to World Health Organization Director Dr. Margaret Chan, the group said that new findings about the Zika virus should result in the games being moved or postponed to safeguard the thousands of athletes, staff and reporters scheduled to attend the games.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:00

Ya know, it could be a good opening line from one Olympic athlete to another: Hey baby, let's go back to the athlete's village and make a baby with a super tiny head.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:22

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Why do they keep having these international events in third world hell holes turtleneck?

Other than the bribes. Why else?

I withdrawal my question.

Brazil is not exactly a "third world hellhole." But I enjoy your very American perception of Brazil. For an example of a "third world hellhole" please visit Canada.

No, not bribes. Most of the developed world does not have a lot to gain from hosting the Olympics. Generally speaking, national governments in the developed world are indifferent. Most of the bids coming from the developed world are driven by local political and business elites, while publics are increasingly skeptical in a time of tight budgets. It is the developing countries that need these games for two reasons. First, to brand themselves to the world. Nothing like hosting the Olympic Games to show the world you have reached a certain stage of development and earn greater influence. Second, to legitimate the government at home and earn acceptance.

For example, Putin's popularity in Russia was decreasing. Enter the Olympic Games. His popularity increases and he regains legitimacy lost in the years leading up to Sochi. He uses the Games to build Russian nationalism and signal that Russia "is back." 1-2 months later he annexes the Crimean Peninsula under the pretense that he is protecting the ethically Russian population. In Brazil's case this was supposed to about showing the world Brazil's recent economic developments, that it is a modern state, and clear leader of Latin America. It was also supposed to boost the legitimacy of the government, but the people used the World Cup as a space for resistance rather than acceptance. This is really backfiring on Brazil. Like really, really badly backfiring.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:27

I'm aware that Brazil is not a third world hell hole. But thanks turtleneck for assuming I don't. Just kidding. Fuck off.

But also, I guess my bigger gripe is woth the World Cup than the olympics. The olympics under their current structure won't make sense for many places. Of course, why do all of the events need to be in the same damn city anyway? The World Cup, which is pretty much just bribes, should be located in any one of a number of countries that already have the existing stadiums, not going to places where they need to spend billions to build them with no functional use after. Do a quick Google to see what those stadiums are being used for two years later. It's sad face.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm aware that Brazil is not a third world hell hole. But thanks turtleneck for assuming I don't. Just kidding. Fuck off.

But also, I guess my bigger gripe is woth the World Cup than the olympics. The olympics under their current structure won't make sense for many places. Of course, why do all of the events need to be in the same damn city anyway? The World Cup, which is pretty much just bribes, should be located in any one of a number of countries that already have the existing stadiums, not going to places where they need to spend billions to build them with no functional use after. Do a quick Google to see what those stadiums are being used for two years later. It's sad face.

The Olympics make sense for authoritarian regimes that desperately need legitimacy at home, and developing states that need to be seen as moving towards developed (Brazil in 2014 and 2016) or cultivate some other form of identity for the purposes of influence (China in 2008 and 2022).

The World Cup is a bit of a different story, and FIFA has grown more suspicious than the IOC (Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022). Technically the World Cup is more economically feasible but its legacy is harder to maintain than the Olympic legacy. However, in both cases, so much of the new infrastructure goes to waste following the event.

There is going to have to be some major changes to the bidding process for both events before they turn into nothing more than opportunities for repressive regimes to show off. After a while, with the rising costs to host, developing democratic states are going to exit from the bidding process.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:42

Winter Olympics- get 4 host cities. Wherever. Rotate them. Maintain facilities so they don't have to be rebuilt every four years costing millions.

Summer- have a host country. Host events where ever you need to. We have the Internet for fucks sake. It doesn't have to be in the same place. They athletes will be able to fuck plenty without the village. We'll get them whores if need be.

World Cup- us and anywhere in Europe. These places could host this event tomorrow if need be. It's not the fairest for countries that would have to travel further (for fans, not the players. They're already in Europe anyway) but spending the kind of money they do in places that are have absolutely critical needs beyond 10 brand new stadiums that hosts three games is ridiculous.

Done. Problem solved. Can I have my bribe now?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Winter Olympics- get 4 host cities. Wherever. Rotate them. Maintain facilities so they don't have to be rebuilt every four years costing millions.

Summer- have a host country. Host events where ever you need to. We have the Internet for fucks sake. It doesn't have to be in the same place. They athletes will be able to fuck plenty without the village. We'll get them whores if need be.

World Cup- us and anywhere in Europe. These places could host this event tomorrow if need be. It's not the fairest for countries that would have to travel further (for fans, not the players. They're already in Europe anyway) but spending the kind of money they do in places that are have absolutely critical needs beyond 10 brand new stadiums that hosts three games is ridiculous.

Done. Problem solved. Can I have my bribe now?

The idea that the Olympic Games have permanent sites has been floated but gets no traction.

There are other places that could host the WC. In the past they have had successful events outside of Europe.

The Olympic Games is the biggest issue. Countries can go wild with spending. The World Cup by comparison is usually more restrained. It took Montreal 30 years to pay off the debt from the 1976 Games. Russia reportedly dropped $50B in 2014 (if true, most expensive Olympic event in history). China spent $40B in 2008.

Of course you can do the Games on the cheap. London spent around $15B in 2012. Greece spent around $10B in 2004...and I would bet they would live every penny back right now.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 21:57

So, like, London is a good example. Yeah they probably built a new pool as part of that spending. Even if they didn't have a pool available in London with seats and cameras and all that, couldn't they just use the one they have (obviously just assuming) in Manchester or where ever else? It just seems like a stupid waste of money the way they do these things with so many super bugs out there that we could be spending the money on to make sure we don't all die.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 22:03

Travis, I think the UK is a third world hellhole because it's not America and if it's not America it's the third world and a hellhole and they probably do not even have indoor plumbing or electricity there.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Fri 27 May 2016 - 22:15; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 22:05

Turtleneck wrote:Travis, I think the UK is a third world hellhole because it's not America and if it's not America it is the third world and a hellhole and they probably do not even have indoor plumbing or electricity there.

They have all of those things turtleneck. England is a wonderful place. On the other hand, Wales is fucked.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 22:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Travis, I think the UK is a third world hellhole because it's not America and if it's not America it is the third world and a hellhole and they probably do not even have indoor plumbing or electricity there.

They have all of those things turtleneck. England is a wonderful place. On the other hand, Wales is fucked.

Travis, why do you hate America? You can't love American and the UK, too. That is not how it works. Why am I in an alliance with a traitor?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 May 2016 - 22:22

Turtleneck wrote:

Travis, why do you hate America? You can't love American and the UK, too. That is not how it works. Why am I in an alliance with a traitor?

Fuck England. I hear that London is a really great Big Ben city. But fuck it. I hate em.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 27 May 2016 - 23:28

Turtleneck wrote:

Fuck England. I hear that London is a really great Big Ben city. But fuck it. I hate em.

No we're talking. It's beer thirty, bro! Beer o'clock in 'Merica!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 May 2016 - 18:59

Turtleneck wrote:Well, this is going to be interesting. The Brazilian president has been impeached, the political protests that coincided with the World Cup will only be more intense for the Olympic Games, and the outbreak of the Zika virus might threaten turnout. Today the WHO suggested the games be moved or postponed due to the Zika virus. That is unlikely but it could mean limited turnout from tourists or even fewer delegations.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/27/health/zika-virus-olympic-games-health-officials-postpone/index.html

Flight prices are absurd to go to the rio games.  Like 10,000 bucks. And with all the other added shit, they can fuck right off.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 3 Jun 2016 - 10:58

Zika Worries Prompt U.S. Cyclist To Pull Out Of Rio Contention
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/02/480502712/zika-worries-prompt-u-s-cyclist-to-pull-out-of-rio-contention
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 3 Jun 2016 - 11:08

Turtleneck wrote:Zika Worries Prompt U.S. Cyclist To Pull Out Of Rio Contention
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/02/480502712/zika-worries-prompt-u-s-cyclist-to-pull-out-of-rio-contention
meh.. in the scheme of things, Olympic cycling ranks pretty low along the spectrum of importance for elite cyclists. He'll be able to focus more on the grand European tours now which is and should be their primary focus.

{cue jokes about cycling while the purity of the popular US knuckle-dragging sports remains as clear as the wind-driven snow)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 5 Jun 2016 - 13:39

Postpone Rio Olympics? WHO to hold emergency meeting about Zika

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2016/0604/Postpone-Rio-Olympics-WHO-to-hold-emergency-meeting-about-Zika
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 19:47

The Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro has declared a financial emergency less than 50 days before the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36565901
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 14:22

ESPN reports Draymond Green invited to join Olympic team

He was just the fourth player in NBA Game 7 history with 30 points and 15 rebounds. Also, Green's 22 first-half points were the most in a Game 7 since Walt Frazier scored 23 for the New York Knicks in 1970.

After the game, Marc J. Spears of ESPN reported that USA Basketball extended an invitation to Green to join Team USA for the Summer Olympics in Brazil.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 14:23

LooseGoose wrote:ESPN reports Draymond Green invited to join Olympic team

He was just the fourth player in NBA Game 7 history with 30 points and 15 rebounds. Also, Green's 22 first-half points were the most in a Game 7 since Walt Frazier scored 23 for the New York Knicks in 1970.

After the game, Marc J. Spears of ESPN reported that USA Basketball extended an invitation to Green to join Team USA for the Summer Olympics in Brazil.
Zika... people that punch other people in the testicles.. a potential for financial collapse.. what could possibly go wrong??

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:00

Ignoring this science and postponing the Olympic Games would set a dangerous precedent. Trade and travel restrictions during outbreaks usually make things worse — by slowing the ability to transport doctors, nurses and critical medical supplies to affected areas. Such restrictions create an incentive for people to not report outbreaks. That’s what happened with Ebola, when countries were reluctant to admit they had an outbreak. Postponing the Olympics would send a clear signal to future organizers of major world events: Keep disease outbreaks a secret or the world will act irrationally and cancel your event. That would be a wrong and dangerous message.

The Olympics are a momentous event for humanity. Ensuring people are safe from disease is paramount. When there are issues of public health concern, such as the Zika outbreak, we must be guided by the science and best available evidence. The WHO has been criticized in the past for not always acting swiftly and effectively. On this one, the organization has it exactly right, and we should heed its advice. Let the Games begin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dont-let-zika-stop-the-olympics/2016/06/17/374cddac-33e0-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:22

That's actually a really good point turtleneck. Good job. tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44d tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f64c tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44a
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That's actually a really good point turtleneck. Good job. tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44d tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f64c tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44a

Plus, Draymond is going and we all know how good he is at swatting things.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:31

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That's actually a really good point turtleneck. Good job. tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44d tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f64c tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread 1f44a

Speaking of, you think it's the best idea for him to go? Dude has played A LOT of games the last two years. Maybe it'd be better to get some rest. But there's always the playing for your country thing. I get it, but he's putting on miles quick.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:34

Turtleneck wrote:

Speaking of, you think it's the best idea for him to go? Dude has played A LOT of games the last two years. Maybe it'd be better to get some rest. But there's always the playing for your country thing. I get it, but he's putting on miles quick.

Didn't seem to be a problem for LeBron last night. LeBron has played something like 2.5 extra seasons with just his playoff games alone.

I think he should do it. He might not get the chance again.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 29 Jun 2016 - 13:42

No Lolo Jones. Not related to Zika or any other pending Olympic disaster.
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/June/29/Lolo-Jones-Withdraws-From-Olympic-Trials

Lolo Jones, a three-time Olympian in women’s 100-meter hurdles and bobsled, has scratched from her event at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Track and Field, ending her chance to earn a spot on the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team.

Jones’ last race was Feb. 14, and a hamstring injury caused her to miss a portion of the outdoor season. She had successfully come back from injury to earn a place on the Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Olympic teams, placing seventh and fourth, respectively
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 1 Jul 2016 - 19:20

Roc would like this fashion....
===============

Hunter SchwarzVerified account ‏@hunterschwarz
Here’s the uniform the U.S. Olympic team will wear during the Rio closing ceremony, by Ralph Lauren

tOfficial 2016 Rio Games Thread CmOyXrFWUAAHb5E
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 1 Jul 2016 - 19:51

LooseGoose wrote:Roc would like this fashion....
===============

Here’s the uniform the U.S. Olympic team will wear during the Rio closing ceremony, by Ralph Lauren

Douche chills
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 1 Jul 2016 - 20:01

===============

Terrible belt.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 5 Jul 2016 - 9:34

CNN Breaking News Verified account ‏@cnnbrk
Rio de Janeiro police say they haven't been paid in months and warn that they won't be able to protect visitors.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 5 Jul 2016 - 9:37

===============

Looks like bobs picture from up north
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 13 Jul 2016 - 12:09

Just one Russian track athlete is set for Rio Olympics, with no Russian flag

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2016/0712/Just-one-Russian-track-athlete-is-set-for-Rio-Olympics-with-no-Russian-flag
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down