Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..

+12
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
DWags
kingstonlake
Da Mayor
Jaheab
Frank Dabski
Ham Porter
Dolph Ziggler
Cym Jim
SeeRockCity
Robert J Sakimano
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  Empty Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 08:01

as of right now, only heading to one show in the near future.. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids..

would love to see Old Crow Medicine Show and the Avetts, but I won't be around...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  Empty Re: Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-19, 08:37

Going to the Avett Bros show down here in July (with Gov't mule at verizon). Can't wait. Isbell is at the fox in October, going to try and catch that one too or maybe Knoxville, or Greensboro, or maybe all three.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  Empty Re: Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 09:33

SeeRockCity wrote:Going to the Avett Bros show down here in July (with Gov't mule at verizon).  Can't wait.  Isbell is at the fox in October, going to try and catch that one too or maybe Knoxville, or Greensboro, or maybe all three.
very nice - I absolutely hate that I'm missing The Avett Brothers - especially with OCMS.

I've seen Isbell a few times - and saw him with the Truckers too. Different experience but it'll be great seeing him in a lovely place like Meijer Gardens. He's a great guy, too.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-20, 11:52

Is Drew Howard still playing around town? Used to love catching The Weepers, Steppininit etc. back in the day. The band he had with Marty (and his brother?) was damn good - although I think a little too much booze and weed might have been a problem there!
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-20, 14:05

Cym Jim wrote:Is Drew Howard still playing around town? Used to love catching The Weepers, Steppininit etc. back in the day. The band he had with Marty (and his brother?) was damn good - although I think a little too much booze and weed might have been a problem there!
Steppin' In It still plays around some.. not sure about the others.

one local band that is on the cusp of being big is Cheap Girls - love those guys. They've opened for The Hold Steady and Against Me! in the last couple of months - they're doing another few shoes with The Hold Steady this summer, as well.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolph Ziggler 2014-05-22, 18:41

I'll be playing stupid covers at the Tin Can on the West Side tonight, so there's that.
Dolph Ziggler
Dolph Ziggler
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ham Porter 2014-05-22, 21:57

I enjoy drawing penises on their chalk wall.
Ham Porter
Ham Porter
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-23, 08:04

Dolph Ziggler wrote:I'll be playing stupid covers at the Tin Can on the West Side tonight, so there's that.
nice.. "stupid covers" are sometimes the best..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolph Ziggler 2014-05-23, 08:22

I'm doing the same thing same time next week at the one in DeWitt. Last time I even saw Jordyn Wieber's parents. God Bless DeWitt.
Dolph Ziggler
Dolph Ziggler
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-06-13, 08:23

the Jason Isbell show at Meijer Gardens was interesting.. very much a wine and cheese crowd. And by "wine and cheese crowd", I mean that I truly saw a bunch of white people eating wine and cheese.

had a good time, though - Jason and the band were very tight, as always. James McMurtry (the opener) was great - some really great Texas barroom-inspired tunes from a true legend of American music. Not sure the crowd completely appreciated his presence.. which was unfortunate.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-06-13, 10:30

See how I did that Bob?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-06-13, 14:21

SeeRockCity wrote:See how I did that Bob?
you're a great American..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Dabski 2014-06-20, 22:16

any of you butt holes checking out Founder's Fest tomorrow? looking like a beautiful day for live music and beers! Lettuce is headlining, Charles Bradley, Break Science and more
Frank Dabski
Frank Dabski
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-06-24, 08:10

Frank Dabski wrote:any of you butt holes checking out Founder's Fest tomorrow? looking like a beautiful day for live music and beers! Lettuce is headlining, Charles Bradley, Break Science and more
had some friends drive over.. I was invited but decided not to go. I can't remember why.

How'd it go?

It was a lot cooler than last year. I was there last year and it was like a sauna..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Dabski 2014-06-29, 01:09

Oh man, it was fantastic. Chuck Bradley is the real deal. Very James Brown-esque. Not quite as hot this year, but an expanded area allowed for a shit load of more people. Definitely still one of my favorite little day music festivals.
Frank Dabski
Frank Dabski
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-08, 08:07

tonight I'm gonna walk around and drink some more..  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353 
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-09, 08:31

that was a good time..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-16, 09:21

I'm in a mid-summer concert lull.. no fun - no shows on the horizon.

Thinking about trying to get down to North Carolina, though, for The Avett Brothers in Asheville - never seen them in my hometown.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-22, 07:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm in a mid-summer concert lull.. no fun - no shows on the horizon.

scratch that..

The Hold Steady in Grand Rapids on September 10th..  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353 
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-29, 08:01

Lucero coming to The Loft in Lansing on September 9th.. I've seen them 5-6 times - one of my favorite bands and great live.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-20, 12:26

two things:

Cheap Girls is playing a free outdoor show on Friday, September 5th. 5:30 pm at MSU

they're also playing with The Hold Steady the next week in Grand Rapids..

carry on.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaheab 2014-08-20, 20:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:two things:

Cheap Girls is playing a free outdoor show on Friday, September 5th. 5:30 pm at MSU

they're also playing with The Hold Steady the next week in Grand Rapids..

carry on.

I heard about both of these shows last night and was coming here to post them in case you or anyone else interested hadn't heard. I'll be at both. I missed the chance to see tHS with CG this summer. I had made plans to go out to Vegas to see the tour after Ian invited me but they fell through because of work. I'm psyched to be getting a second chance.  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353 

So what do you say Bob, are you up for a couple (dozen?) brews at the Peanut Barrel before the Broad show?  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  2267303065 
Jaheab
Jaheab
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaheab 2014-08-20, 20:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Lucero coming to The Loft in Lansing on September 9th.. I've seen them 5-6 times - one of my favorite bands and great live.

Yeah great live band. I haven't bought tickets but I'll probably find my way to that show.
Jaheab
Jaheab
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-21, 08:12

Jaheab wrote:

I heard about both of these shows last night and was coming here to post them in case you or anyone else interested hadn't heard. I'll be at both. I missed the chance to see tHS with CG this summer. I had made plans to go out to Vegas to see the tour after Ian invited me but they fell through because of work. I'm psyched to be getting a second chance.  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353 

So what do you say Bob, are you up for a couple (dozen?) brews at the Peanut Barrel before the Broad show?  Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  2267303065 
 Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  969504605 

we'll see - the Broad show probably won't be my primary choice for rockin' a couple of dozen brews - as it's at 5:30 and I'll likely stroll up to the high school for EL vs. Grand Haven afterwards.. I'm so fucking punk rock, dude - you wouldn't believe it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-12, 08:21

Lucero show was a lot of fun - solid crowd, the band was tight... met and hung out with Ben, Brian and Rick Steff before the show.. great guys and genuinely appreciative of their fans.

The Hold Steady show - INSANITY. First of all, Cheap Girls are always great - played a short set of only 6-7 songs for half an hour. The Hold Steady was out at 10:00 and put on a face-melting rock show for a solid 90 minutes. Blew through some tunes off the new rekkid along with some old classics - Cattle and Creeping Things, The Swish, etc - I was right up front so I could look down and read the setlist - which was kinda cool but also removed any anticipation.

Craig was his usual self - was fun to be so close (there was no barrier at this show - unlike other shows where I've been right up front) and watch the band interact. Bobby fired a drumstick at Steve for some damn reason - illiciting a "what the fuck are you doing look" from Tad. Highlights included The Swish, Chips Ahoy is always great - Massive Nights, Hoodrat.. would've been good to hear Stevie Nix, though.

long live rock and roll.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-07, 10:52

The Avett Brothers in Kalamazoo on April 18th..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-03, 08:24

Sturgill Simpson Friday in Grand Rapids.. J Roddy Walston and the Business in March at The Loft in Lansing..

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-10, 09:13

Sturgill show was great.. good, old school Waylon-inspired country... not the corporate garbage that makes your ears and eyes bleed.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-20, 09:01

good time with The Avetts on Saturday.. great weather for those of us who mulled around in a GA line outside for a couple of hours. Tremendous show, as usual - they're one of those bands that are better live than in the studio. When I listen to studio releases, I honestly could take or leave them - live there is a ton of energy.

drank some beer with some cool people. It's always a good time to be around like-minded folks. The highway construction, on/off ramp closures made getting in and around the place brutal, though.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-20, 09:01

oh.. and Trampled by Turtles a week from today at The Intersection.. Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-28, 09:28

Trampled By Turtles last night.. rockin' show. Two hours worth of thrash grass....(best term I could come up with.. thought about "punk folk" but that doesn't quite fit)..

front row, hit up Stellas before the show for a few beers, couple of shots.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-08-17, 10:07

solid shows coming up this fall: not sure of dates and don't feel like looking them up but..

Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires - Pyramid Scheme in GR - great venue and right across the street from Stella's
Avetts in GR and Ann Arbor
Rhiannon Giddens at The Ark in Ann Arbor
Lucero, I believe, is playing a couple of shows in Detroit
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-23, 13:57

been forever since I posted in this thread - but it's a darn good one:

shows of interest coming up.. Lucero/John Moreland in Kalamazoo in early April, then Frank Turner with Two Cow Garage in Grand Rapids at The Intersection in late May. Gonna be two great nights.

I'm sure the summer holds some good upcoming shows.. not to mention the small clubs around the state. Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-18, 11:18

Meijer Gardens this summer... Old Crow Medicine Show in July and then Lake Street Dive in August. Both will be great.

trying to avoid the misogyny that occupies the main board so often, butt Rachael from Lake Street Dive might just be the most attractive woman on the planet, as well.

So there's that.

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  AR-AD401_LAKEST_DV_20130821180003
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-23, 12:31

Frank Turner and Two Cow Garage this Thursday in GR.. hittin' up Stella's and Founders before the show...

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-01, 16:12

Bob, do you sing "Carolina In My Mind" as loudly and as fervently as Sterling Heights and Novi natives sing the "Born and raised in South Detroit" line from Don't Stop Believin'?
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-02, 10:28

Da Mayor wrote:Bob, do you sing "Carolina In My Mind" as loudly and as fervently as Sterling Heights and Novi natives sing the "Born and raised in South Detroit" line from Don't Stop Believin'?
Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  1966794946

I remember being in about 10th grade or so.. and thinking that James Taylor was deep and mysterious.. and understood the nuance of the human soul.

now, of course, he's fine and dandy.. I actually saw him in about 1987-88 maybe.. but not as deep and complex as I once thought. Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  502811600

to answer your question, no - I don't scream out "IN MY MIND I'M GOOOOING TO CAROLINA".. the way some people scream out "SOUUUUTH DEETROIT" do here.

I will say this, BJ Barham - front man for American Aquarium - has a great song called "Madeline" and he refers to "summertime on the Blue Ridge Parkway" - I practically grew up on the Blue Ridge Parkway.. so that's cool.

(however, I don't scream it out when I hear the song).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-02, 11:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:Bob, do you sing "Carolina In My Mind" as loudly and as fervently as Sterling Heights and Novi natives sing the "Born and raised in South Detroit" line from Don't Stop Believin'?

I remember being in about 10th grade or so.. and thinking that James Taylor was deep and mysterious.. and understood the nuance of the human soul.

now, of course, he's fine and dandy.. I actually saw him in about 1987-88 maybe.. but not as deep and complex as I once thought. Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  502811600

to answer your question, no - I don't scream out "IN MY MIND I'M GOOOOING TO CAROLINA".. the way some people scream out "SOUUUUTH DEETROIT" do here.

I will say this, BJ Barham - front man for American Aquarium - has a great song called "Madeline" and he refers to "summertime on the Blue Ridge Parkway" - I practically grew up on the Blue Ridge Parkway.. so that's cool.

I'm very happy to hear that, Bob. I knew you were better than fake ass Detroit poseurs.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-02, 12:22

Da Mayor wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm very happy to hear that, Bob. I knew you were better than fake ass Detroit poseurs.
Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-08, 09:20

been a while since I've posted a good concert update.. so here goes;

Brian Fallon and The Howling Weather a couple of Sundays ago at Saint Andrews - great show, great band and Brian is one of the better young-ish songwriters out there.

have The Devil Makes Three this weekend in Grand Rapids.. and The Menzingers in Grand Rapids a few weeks from now.

here's the thing that really pisses me off - The Mengzingers, Lucero and Frank Turner are playing in Detroit on May 31st (I think) - three amazing bands - and I can't go.. personal conflict.

Live Music in Michigan.. Info, Tours, Reviews..  1896033241
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next