Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think?

+8
Dr. Strangelove
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? Empty Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-16, 14:09

http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-college-footballs-fix-it-season/2016/06/

So what if there were only the rivalries — three per school — and then the remaining conference games rotated? That’s the idea Connelly, et al. forwarded yesterday for the Big Ten.

For Nebraska, it would look like this: The three rivals Nebraska would play each year would be Iowa, Michigan State and Wisconsin. I’ve got no arguments with those selections. Iowa and Wisconsin are the most natural seeming rivals based on geography (sorry Minnesota) and the Huskers-Spartans series, to this point, has been great.

The Huskers would then face the remaining 10 teams in the conference at least once in every two-year cycle and twice in every five-year cycle. That fixes another problem with a division-based schedule — big gaps between games against certain opponents. A member of Nebraska’s 2014 recruiting class who didn’t redshirt — Drew Brown, for example — isn’t scheduled to face Michigan, home or away, during his career. Under the proposed system he’d get to face the Wolverines, or any other team, at least once during his career.

For MSU, it would be UM, MSU, and who else? Probably that renegade program from Bloomington and their psycho fans. Maybe those stinkin' Badgers.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? Empty Re: Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-16, 14:10

I read that yesterday and some of the logic makes sense, but I like having the divisions.  I'd like having more balanced divisions even more.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? Empty Re: Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-16, 14:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:I read that yesterday and some of the logic makes sense, but I like having the divisions.  I'd like having more balanced divisions even more.

I hate unbalanced divisions. If you are going to have division they need to be balanced.

I actually wish conferences were no larger than 10 teams with no divisions. But I know that is a thing of the past.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-06-16, 14:17

Turtleneck wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I read that yesterday and some of the logic makes sense, but I like having the divisions.  I'd like having more balanced divisions even more.

I hate unbalanced divisions. If you are going to have division they need to be balanced.

I actually wish conferences were no larger than 10 teams with no divisions. But I know that is a thing of the past.
Soon conferences will have 20 teams with 2 ten team divisions.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 14:17

Get UND into the B1G and that's something I could abide, but without it, it's dead to me. And if you keep it up, you'll be dead to me, too, Turtleneck.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-16, 14:20

InTenSity wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Soon conferences will have 20 teams with 2 ten team divisions.

20 teams sounds terrible.

tGreenWay wrote:Get UND into the B1G and that's something I could abide, but without it, it's dead to me. And if you keep it up, you'll be dead to me, too, Turtleneck.  

I am alone on this, but I do not want ND in the Big 10. I guess I do not care too much. I root for MSU and could not care less about Big 10 solidarity (since Big 10 leadership does not care, why should I?). But I still do not want ND in the Big 10.

Edit: UND? Did you mean University of North Dakota?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-16, 14:24

Turtleneck wrote:

The horse has left the barn but I wish we were the B1GTen playing 9 conference games per year.

That said I'm all for scheduling that makes more sense than what we have now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 14:25

Since my quote button has disappeared, I'm just going to reply:
Turtleneck, don't be such an obtuse twatwaddle. You know goddamn well who UND is.
I doubt you're the only one who doesn't want them in the league, but they've been our long-hated second-most arch enemy for decades. It's a clear second to umich, but it's still second. I fucking hate manufactured rivals.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-16, 14:27

tGreenWay wrote:Since my quote button has disappeared, I'm just going to reply:
Turtleneck, don't be such an obtuse twatwaddle. You know goddamn well who UND is.
I doubt you're the only one who doesn't want them in the league, but they've been our long-hated second-most arch enemy for decades. It's a clear second to umich, but it's still second. I fucking hate manufactured rivals.  

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? 287339
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-16, 14:32

I hate them. I do not want them around. I hope one day that program finally goes sideways and they come begging - because they can't afford to continue to be arrogant pricks - and they get told to fuck off.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-16, 14:37

Turtleneck wrote:

I hate them. I do not want them around. I hope one day that program finally goes sideways and they come begging - because they can't afford to continue to be arrogant pricks - and they get told to fuck off.

I used to want the Irish in the conference, but fuck them for the way they snubbed the last two overtures.

Now, then, I firmly believe that you should not be in the playoffs if you don't win your conference title, so fuck them and their chances of getting the playoffs in my book.  Make them join the ACC if they want a shot at the playoffs (and pray that Narduzzi kicks their ass or Cutcliffe kicks their ass or Jimbo kicks their ass or Dabo kicks their ass every year).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-16, 14:42

Turtleneck wrote:http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-college-footballs-fix-it-season/2016/06/

So what if there were only the rivalries — three per school — and then the remaining conference games rotated? That’s the idea Connelly, et al. forwarded yesterday for the Big Ten.

For Nebraska, it would look like this: The three rivals Nebraska would play each year would be Iowa, Michigan State and Wisconsin. I’ve got no arguments with those selections. Iowa and Wisconsin are the most natural seeming rivals based on geography (sorry Minnesota) and the Huskers-Spartans series, to this point, has been great.

The Huskers would then face the remaining 10 teams in the conference at least once in every two-year cycle and twice in every five-year cycle. That fixes another problem with a division-based schedule — big gaps between games against certain opponents. A member of Nebraska’s 2014 recruiting class who didn’t redshirt — Drew Brown, for example — isn’t scheduled to face Michigan, home or away, during his career. Under the proposed system he’d get to face the Wolverines, or any other team, at least once during his career.

For MSU, it would be UM, MSU, and who else? Probably that renegade program from Bloomington and their psycho fans. Maybe those stinkin' Badgers.

When we played ourselves could the spring game count?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-06-16, 14:43

I'm not worried.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-06-16, 15:05

Considering we have three B1G trophy games they would probably be our protected rivals.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-06-16, 15:12

They need to split up MSU and OSU and both need protected games with Michigan. I don't really give a shit about any of the rest of it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 15:14

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? 287339

Twatwaddle!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-16, 15:16

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Twatwaddle!

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? LandGrantTrophy-2
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 15:16

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-college-footballs-fix-it-season/2016/06/

That will depend on all the stats Bob wrote down. I trust his work more than an NCAA-assigned scorekeeper.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 15:18

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Twatwaddle!

Big 10 FB Scheduling: Do away with divisions, play three rivals every year, and rotate the rest. What do you think? LandGrantTrophy-2

Particle board twatwaddle!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-06-16, 15:47

The only bullshit scheduling crime in the big ten is allowing scum and osu to have the final game every year.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-06-16, 15:48

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

That will depend on all the stats Bob wrote down. I trust his work more than an NCAA-assigned scorekeeper.
in between various interviews with MSU sports higher-ups, I was keeping copious notes.

So copious, in fact, that I had to define the word "copious" to Hondo during the press conference.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-16, 16:33

Turtleneck wrote:
This, the current structure is horrible, but after the Iowa fluke last year I bet Darth Delaney has been patting himself on the back for such a brilliant scheme.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-16, 16:36

I.B. Fine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
This, the current structure is horrible, but after the Iowa fluke last year I bet Darth Delaney has been patting himself on the back for such a brilliant scheme.

Need to add a couple more schools to get to 16 and reshuffle the divisions... again. As it is, this division will only get tougher assuming PSU quits tripping over their own dick.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-16, 16:59

..and get Rutgers a football program
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-16, 17:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

in between various interviews with MSU sports higher-ups, I was keeping copious notes.

So copious, in fact, that I had to define the word "copious" to Hondo during the press conference.

Was he licking mustard off off his pink button down when you explained it to him? Yeah, you're going to have to explain it to him again.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-16, 17:48

I.B. Fine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It can't be a brilliant scheme if both St. Jimmy and Meyer aren't involved.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-16, 17:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

It is interesting they chose regular season match ups for those teams over a potential CG rivalry.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-16, 17:56

I.B. Fine wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

It is interesting they chose regular season match ups for those teams over a potential CG rivalry.

Yeah, they could have put the leaders of the west in the west and still maintained protected games across divisional lines and had maybe TWO biggest rivalry games a season.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-17, 08:31

This shit could actually work in the big ten, except for a few tweeks.

First, psu has to take rutgers. They have to.

Second, we deserve osu over ill. Fuck that lame shit.

Third, ill, pu, nw, and IU all deserve each other for football, which will also help at least build one of their programs.

Fourth, it is in out best long term interest to swap iu for rutgers for recruiting.

Finally, our rivals would be uofm, osu, and rutgers.

....and the only weird rival would be Nebraska and Maryland since they are both late to the party
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down