Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funny article re: conspiracy theorists

+13
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
Blanch32
tanfan!
BleacherSwill
Death Roe
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Herbie Green
aualum06
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Funny article re: conspiracy theorists Empty Funny article re: conspiracy theorists

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:32 am

Try to ignore the politics. I find the message much more interesting than that.

Do you know people like this? I definitely do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-facts-dont-matter-to-trumps-supporters/2016/08/04/924ece4a-5a78-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html?postshare=8811470482915807&tid=ss_tw
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Funny article re: conspiracy theorists Empty Re: Funny article re: conspiracy theorists

Post by Rocinante Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:38 am

Yes I think this is interesting, WBH. Also, yes, I know people like this. Finally, I find it disturbing that there are smart people that are figuring out that social media is a great way to reinforce the "repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth" maxim.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Funny article re: conspiracy theorists Empty Re: Funny article re: conspiracy theorists

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:41 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Try to ignore the politics. I find the message much more interesting than that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-facts-dont-matter-to-trumps-supporters/2016/08/04/924ece4a-5a78-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html?postshare=8811470482915807&tid=ss_tw

It's easy to ignore the politics because partisans on all sides do it. Human nature to believe the good in your guy and the bad in the other guy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:51 am

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Try to ignore the politics. I find the message much more interesting than that.

It's easy to ignore the politics because partisans on all sides do it. Human nature to believe the good in your guy and the bad in the other guy.

I don't think that's not really the point. The point is when presented with facts, many people will double down on their erroneously held beliefs. The secondary point is, when presented with facts in a calm and analytical manner, at least some of those people will actually change their minds.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:56 am

Rocinante wrote:Yes I think this is interesting, WBH. Also, yes, I know people like this. Finally, I find it disturbing that there are smart people that are figuring out that social media is a great way to reinforce the "repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth" maxim.

Basically people are not smart
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I don't think that's not really the point. The point is when presented with facts, many people will double down on their erroneously held beliefs. The secondary point is, when presented with facts in a calm and analytical manner, at least some of those people will actually change their minds.

You could hope for that. How many people do you know that have changed their minds RE:Trump or Hills?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:13 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

You could hope for that. How many people do you know that have changed their minds RE:Trump or Hills?

How many minds have you changed here at tSwill with all your links?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:39 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

A few. And as the article points out, it's really been trump himself that has finally turned them against him.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Sorry about cluttering your life with those links Herbie. Is it your opinion that the board would be better if I just drove by and spewed some shit occasionally like you?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:21 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Sorry about cluttering your life with those links Herbie. Is it your opinion that the board would be better if I just drove by and spewed some shit occasionally like you?

No need to apologize, I like all posters, even those guys that are always swearing at me.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

I would like you to keep posting goose :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 pm

the greatest thing about the Trump debacle is that the republican party is 100% responsible for his popularity among their misogynistic, racist, bigoted ranks.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

No need to apologize, I like all posters, even those guys that are always swearing at me.

You're an angry little man.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

he's an angry old man, isn't he?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Death Roe wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

You're an angry little man.

Lol
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

he's an angry old man, isn't he?

Actually I'm a pretty happy old man with a very low tolerance for jackasses.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 pm

aualum06 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Yes I think this is interesting, WBH. Also, yes, I know people like this. Finally, I find it disturbing that there are smart people that are figuring out that social media is a great way to reinforce the "repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth" maxim.

Basically people are not smart

Basically this is the explanation.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I don't think that's not really the point.  The point is when presented with facts, many people will double down on their erroneously held beliefs.  The secondary point is, when presented with facts in a calm and analytical manner, at least some of those people will actually change their minds.

You could hope for that.   How many people do you know that have changed their minds RE:Trump or Hills?  

I know I have. When I first saw Trump I was intrigued. I thought he told it like it was and was believable. I liked his message at first because he was an outsider.  Then his mental instability started to manifest itself in the form of hardcore bullying type of attacks of his opponents and anyone who didn't agree with his positions.  I mean, he tilted on so many different levels.  So, my opinion started to change. I watched his nomination speech and then I watched Hillary's speech.  Hillary blew him away in my mind and she solidified her message.  Trump is unfit and too much of a loose cannon to be President. He's a bully and a dick.  I no longer even like him.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Tanfan! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

You could hope for that.   How many people do you know that have changed their minds RE:Trump or Hills?  

I know I have. When I first saw Trump I was intrigued. I thought he told it like it was and was believable. I liked his message at first because he was an outsider.  Then his mental instability started to manifest itself in the form of hardcore bullying type of attacks of his opponents and anyone who didn't agree with his positions.  I mean, he tilted on so many different levels.  So, my opinion started to change. I watched his nomination speech and then I watched Hillary's speech.  Hillary blew him away in my mind and she solidified her message.  Trump is unfit and too much of a loose cannon to be President. He's a bully and a dick.  I no longer even like him.

Hilary is better??? Wow....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the greatest thing about the Trump debacle is that the republican party is 100% responsible for his popularity among their misogynistic, racist, bigoted ranks.

From the article:
Bottom line: Vilifying Trump voters — or, alternatively, parents who don’t want to have their children vaccinated — won’t convince them they’re wrong. Probably it will have the opposite effect.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:09 am

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the greatest thing about the Trump debacle is that the republican party is 100% responsible for his popularity among their misogynistic, racist, bigoted ranks.

From the article:
Bottom line: Vilifying Trump voters — or, alternatively, parents who don’t want to have their children vaccinated — won’t convince them they’re wrong. Probably it will have the opposite effect.

they're also intellectually vapid.

just because all of that is true, doesn't mean I can't point it out. If they choose to buckle down and illustrate their misogyny, racism and bigotry - along with their vacant intellectual capacity - it simply proves me right.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:26 am

Blanch32 wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

Hilary is better???  Wow....

Who are you voting for, Honerz?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:48 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:
From the article:

just because all of that is true, doesn't mean I can't point it out. If they choose to buckle down and illustrate their misogyny, racism and bigotry - along with their vacant intellectual capacity - it simply proves me right.

Lov3 the sarcasm here Bob. Nailed it
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Hilary is better???  Wow....

Who are you voting for, Honerz?

Trump or Johnson. The democrats are misogynist, racists, ageist, and class warfare against me.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:08 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:
From the article:

I wasn't talking about them Bob. That's you. You are all of that and you just won't believe it. You dig your heels in and double down.

It used to frustrate me. Now it's just fun to get you going. Let's have the "bump" now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 am

Tanfan! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Tanfan hates himself.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:28 am

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: they're also intellectually vapid.

I wasn't talking about them Bob. That's you.  You are all of that and you just won't believe it. You dig your heels in and double down.  

It used to frustrate me. Now it's just fun to get you going. Let's have the "bump" now.
I'm glad you've finally realized that getting frustrated with someone on a sports message board is futile.

now if only others here were so self-aware as to accomplish the same thing.. I worry about the emotional health of people who shout obscenities at someone with whom they disagree.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:52 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I worry about the emotional health of people who shout obscenities at someone with whom they disagree.

That or you're concern trolling. I vote for the latter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 am

How the heck do you ignore politics in that article? ROFL WBH you are better than this.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I wasn't talking about them Bob. That's you.  You are all of that and you just won't believe it. You dig your heels in and double down.  

I'm glad you've finally realized that getting frustrated with someone on a sports message board is futile.

now if only others here were so self-aware as to accomplish the same thing.. I worry about the emotional health of people who shout obscenities at someone with whom they disagree.

Funny article re: conspiracy theorists 502811600

I'm telling you it's the greatest. He really doesn't see it.

Bob, you couldn't be more ironic or blissfully ignorant about yourself. It's the best.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:16 am

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm telling you it's the greatest. He really doesn't see it.

Bob, you couldn't be more ironic or blissfully ignorant about yourself. It's the best.
Funny article re: conspiracy theorists 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:22 am

Always find it funny when Dems try and talk about facts and truth. It's too much, really.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 am

The_Dude wrote:Always find it funny when Dems try and talk about facts and truth. It's too much, really.

Boring YAFI.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:06 pm

The left fear mongering for votes? Never!
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:
From the article:

That is just "them" for you. They just can't understand that you are right and that is why you don't ever budge from your position.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 pm

The_Dude wrote:The left fear mongering for votes?  Never!

Fear mongering like Donald Trump's convention speech? You know, I always hear how violent crime is decreasing in the US but now I am told the US is one big Gotham City. But you and facts do not get along all that well.

Your trolling is getting old. I have no idea why Moose and SD got the boot while you are allowed to continue. It's quite unfair. Since Blanch thinks the Constitution applies to message boards, he should be making an equal protection and due process claim on behalf of those two.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:14 pm

I don't think SD got the boot. Dude had a meltdown and quit forever. Requested his account get deleted.

But yeah - bring back moose.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Oh jesus give it a rest
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Fear mongering like Donald Trump's convention speech? You know, I always hear how violent crime is decreasing in the US but now I am told the US is one big Gotham City. But you and facts do not get along all that well.

Your trolling is getting old. I have no idea why Moose and SD got the boot while you are allowed to continue. It's quite unfair. Since Blanch thinks the Constitution applies to message boards, he should be making an equal protection and due process claim on behalf of those two.

Wouldn't it be funny if right when foot meets ball on opening night at MSU somebody banned Dude?

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

the thing that makes me laugh the most about the fear-mongering right.. the folks who are genuinely afraid of their own shadows.. I thought they were the flag-wavin', truck-drivin', gun-totin' folks whose guns are there to perteckt them..

scratch
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next