Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17

+4
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
The_Dude
Travis of the Cosmos
8 posters

Go down

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Empty Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-08-09, 23:41

EPL starts this weekend and I'm pretty excited about that. After the success of our international soccer tournament thread, this seemed like a natural next step to get you all indoctrinated into soccer. I'm not going to make predictions or anything because I don't think my opinion is worth much. But, I encourage you to make your own in advance of the season.

I can speak enough about my team, Liverpool. I think they have a decent shot at top 4 without European competition to deal with. Yeah, they were 8 last year but they basically quit on the epl in the last month focusing on Europa league. A few of the signings, like mane, seem like they could provide some benefit, but I'm still sort of mystified how they haven't replaced Moreno at left back as I'm better than that guy with my Ayso and high school experience (I was a goalie. Still better than Moreno.)

So anyway, feel free to talk about soccer or whatever here. It doesn't have to be EPL, but let's be real, that's the one that's on tv and thus the one most of us know the best. Starting Saturday well roll with some game thread action here too cause hey, soccer is great.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Empty Re: Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-09, 23:43

Go Spurs!
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Empty Re: Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17

Post by Turtleneck 2016-08-09, 23:47

This thread makes me want to vote for Trump.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-08-09, 23:50

Turtleneck wrote:This thread makes me want to vote for Trump.

look you can either try to enjoy soccer or I'm going to do this to you on Saturday and Sunday mornings until you like it.

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Clockwork-orange
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 00:08

EPL? Extra Pancakes & Links?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-08-10, 00:10

tGreenWay wrote:EPL? Extra Pancakes & Links?

English Premier League greenway.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 00:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:EPL? Extra Pancakes & Links?

English Premier League greenway.

That's EPLg, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-10, 09:49

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Chelsea.img

KTBFFH

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-11, 22:01

World Cup expanding to 48 teams in 2016. Because money.

According to Fifa research, revenue is predicted to increase to £5.29bn for a 48-team tournament, giving a potential profit rise of £521m.

Campaign group New Fifa Now described the expansion as "a money grab and power grab".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38565246
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-15, 23:28

bullshit no call today gifted ManU a point and took away 2 from my reds. YNWA!
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-15, 23:29

MattyFresh wrote:bullshit no call today gifted ManU a point and took away 2 from my reds. YNWA!

Cool
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-15, 23:36

MattyFresh wrote:bullshit no call today gifted ManU a point and took away 2 from my reds. YNWA!

WAIT. Matty fresh is a fellow Liverpool fan? I have a new second man crush!

My first man crush is jurgen. You understand.

And yes, that bullshit goal sucked. But it did feel for awhile like an equalizer is coming. I guess a tie at Man U isn't the worst thing in the world though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-15, 23:52

Mods please delete.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-01-15, 23:55

And yes, that bullshit goal sucked. But it did feel for awhile like an equalizer is coming. I guess a tie at Man U isn't the worst thing in the world though.
I'm sure you consider it just as much bullshit and just as sucky that the linesman wrongly ruled Rooney offside 2 minutes before the goal, which, although Rooney's shot was saved, should have been a corner kick...and then who knows. Shit evens out.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-15, 23:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm sure you consider it just as much bullshit and just as sucky that the linesman wrongly ruled Rooney offside 2 minutes before the goal, which, although Rooney's shot was saved, should have been a corner kick...and then who knows. Shit evens out.

I did.

Just kidding. I get it. Of course you should have been playing with 10 men for the last 60 minutes of the game after pogba tried to murder Henderson. And likely 2 goals down. But it evens out.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-01-16, 10:57

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I did.

Just kidding. I get it. Of course you should have been playing with 10 men for the last 60 minutes of the game after pogba tried to murder Henderson. And likely 2 goals down. But it evens out.
Were you drunk last night when you posted that? Attempt of murder? Very UM-esque of you. For god's sake, it's not even a yellow. A foul, sure. Never a yellow, let alone a red. And how would that make us down 2 goals? It was in the Liverpool penalty box. If you want to get technical about it, Firmino was closer to a red. Sure, Herrera pulled him back, and deserved his yellow, but that doesn't give Firmino the right to do whatever he wanted. Hands to the face is supposed to be an automatic red. The only reason it wasn't is because it would be harsh to give after he was fouled (and I have no problem with the ref's decision there). But under the strict rules of the game, that was hands to the face in a heated exchange. You also had Milner or maybe one of your CBs go in two footed (which also, by the strict rules of the game is a red, though personally I also think it was right not to give it).

But keep blaming the refs, even though you guys created one half chance the whole game. Even the penalty wasn't a chance. Just a player that lost sight of the ball, then arms were out of control while looking for it. Definitely a pen, but it was hardly a goal-preventing pen (as Lovren--or was it Klaven?--was in no position to score there).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 16:40

LFC got through Travis.  Mostly using u21's we're onto round 4 of the FA Cup.

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Ynwa-s10
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-18, 17:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I did.

Were you drunk last night when you posted that? Attempt of murder? Very UM-esque of you. For god's sake, it's not even a yellow. A foul, sure. Never a yellow, let alone a red. And how would that make us down 2 goals? It was in the Liverpool penalty box. If you want to get technical about it, Firmino was closer to a red. Sure, Herrera pulled him back, and deserved his yellow, but that doesn't give Firmino the right to do whatever he wanted. Hands to the face is supposed to be an automatic red. The only reason it wasn't is because it would be harsh to give after he was fouled (and I have no problem with the ref's decision there). But under the strict rules of the game, that was hands to the face in a heated exchange. You also had Milner or maybe one of your CBs go in two footed (which also, by the strict rules of the game is a red, though personally I also think it was right not to give it).

But keep blaming the refs, even though you guys created one half chance the whole game. Even the penalty wasn't a chance. Just a player that lost sight of the ball, then arms were out of control while looking for it. Definitely a pen, but it was hardly a goal-preventing pen (as Lovren--or was it Klaven?--was in no position to score there).

Settle down Miami Spartan or this is less fun. I'm not quite as into the rivalries as you are at this point, so I don't feel the hatred that you do.

But a) pogba certainly should have been thrown out. But that would probably have been in your favor anyway.
B) it certainly wasn't worse than what firmino did, which was a reaction to a Man U player being a twat.

And, to be fair, I think we should have been a lot more aggressive in trying to score a second goal as it was pretty obvious, at least from where I was sitting that another goal was coming.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-18, 17:19

MattyFresh wrote:LFC got through Travis.  Mostly using u21's we're onto round 4 of the FA Cup.

Official EPL and other soccer stuff thread for 2016-17 Ynwa-s10

That makes me happy matty fresh :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-01-19, 12:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Settle down Miami Spartan or this is less fun. I'm not quite as into the rivalries as you are at this point, so I don't feel the hatred that you do.

But a) pogba certainly should have been thrown out. But that would probably have been in your favor anyway.
B) it certainly wasn't worse than what firmino did, which was a reaction to a Man U player being a twat.

And, to be fair, I think we should have been a lot more aggressive in trying to score a second goal as it was pretty obvious, at least from where I was sitting that another goal was coming.
Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
Put the scousers on the top
Put City in the middle
Then we'll burn the fucking lot.

Oh, wait, what was that you said about me feeling the hatred?

Still, that's never a red card, and I'm not sure what rule on red card you're interpreting there. The box during a corner kick kind of like under the basket for a rebound. A lot of shit goes on there. Ejection rules/red card rules on situations like that are similar. As I said, definitely a foul. Not a yellow, not a red. But the attempt of murder comment, coming from a Spartan, was especially funny, even if that's not what you were going for. I don't even think Klopp said it should have been a red, and he's been making up nonsense all week since the game.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-19, 12:54

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Mods please delete.

I regret bumping this thread, OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down