Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about San Fran

+8
Ted Brogan
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
Other Teams Pursuing That
12 posters

Go down

Tell me about San Fran Empty Tell me about San Fran

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 16:47

May make a long weekend trip out there in a couple of months. Must do things, see? Etc etc ya know

Thanks swill! You're the best! Beat ND!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tell me about San Fran Empty Re: Tell me about San Fran

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-12, 16:50

Rule 1. Never call it San Fran, or Frisco to the locals.

Get to know the Bart.  It goes everywhere cheap and it goes almost anywhere worth going.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 16:51

There's a building that looks like a funny elongated pyramid
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 16:51

And a bridge
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-12, 16:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:There's a building that looks like a funny elongated pyramid

Funny story, I saw a clearly mentally ill woman take her pants clean off in front of that building.

Actually that's not very funny. It was kind of gross.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-09-12, 16:53

You should do the windy road thing and look at a bridge. You can't smoke in the bars. I don't remember too much, but I went for a couple of days.
If you have some extra cash, there is some pretty good steak houses. Probably a pretty decent beer scene as well. I'll assume you're just there to rage.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-09-12, 16:58

What's his name?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 17:08

NigelUno wrote:What's his name?

I think it was Saint Francis.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-12, 17:11

Spend at least one night raging in the Tenderloin.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-09-12, 17:14

Journey made it famous when they sang "city by the bay"
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-12, 17:15

My parents used to live there. They moved back a couple months before I was born. Just imagine, had they stayed you guys probably would not have to put up with me. Probably be some Cal State forum's problem.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-12, 17:21

1993, ghost. That was 1993.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-09-12, 17:24

Read all of John Lescroart's "Dismas Hardy" books and you'll learn how corrupt San Fran is.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-09-12, 17:27

gHost Spartan wrote:I went there in the early 90s when the Braves and Giants were in a pennant race. The first day I was there I found a crumpled up Braves cap in the street. Got back to my brother's apartment and tossed it in the wash and wore it every day I was there - and every day I was there the Giants lost and I think the Braves ended up winning the pennant.

That same week my brother took me to a strip peep place. His buddy's girlfriend worked there. It was one of those places you put the money in and peek through the window. Mistakenly, I mentioned that I "saw" her when I was later introduced to her at a party.

Also that same week I was at Berkeley with my bro and his chick. I met a transexual at the store while buying a Cal tee shirt. At the time I didn't know it was a transexual. Coincidentally that same night I ran into "it" again at this weird gay dive bar nightclub called Motherlode in SF. My brother had some gay friends and they took us there.

That was a fun trip.

The title of the thread is "Tell me about San Fran", not "How many times can you use the word I in one post"?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-12, 17:30

NigelUno wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:I went there in the early 90s when the Braves and Giants were in a pennant race. The first day I was there I found a crumpled up Braves cap in the street. Got back to my brother's apartment and tossed it in the wash and wore it every day I was there - and every day I was there the Giants lost and I think the Braves ended up winning the pennant.

That same week my brother took me to a strip peep place. His buddy's girlfriend worked there. It was one of those places you put the money in and peek through the window. Mistakenly, I mentioned that I "saw" her when I was later introduced to her at a party.

Also that same week I was at Berkeley with my bro and his chick. I met a transexual at the store while buying a Cal tee shirt. At the time I didn't know it was a transexual. Coincidentally that same night I ran into "it" again at this weird gay dive bar nightclub called Motherlode in SF. My brother had some gay friends and they took us there.

That was a fun trip.

The title of the thread is "Tell me about San Fran", not "How many times can you use the word I in one post"?

You're not helping.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 17:33

NigelUno wrote:

That was a fun trip.

Tell me about San Fran 502811600

I semi enjoyed his story.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-09-12, 17:41

Turtleneck wrote:My parents used to live there. They moved back a couple months before I was born. Just imagine, had they stayed you guys probably would not have to put up with me. Probably be some Cal State forum's problem.

Turtleneck wrote:You're not helping.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-09-12, 17:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Tell me about San Fran 502811600

I semi enjoyed his story.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan 2016-09-12, 17:48

Do the night tour of Alcatraz, but it fills up quite a while in advance and might already be booked for the weekend you'll be in town. Otherwise Alcatraz during the day is still great.

Spend an afternoon just exploring the city. Start in Market Street, check out the major areas (e.g. Union Square, mall, etc.), then make your way to Embarcadero through North Beach or just take a cable car. Explore Embarcadero, buy some shitty tourist t-shirts, get some chocolate at the Ghiradelli Factory, and eat some In-N-Out. Overall SF is great for walking unless you are weak (or morbidly obese) and can't handle some hills. In terms of efficiency, if you want to really explore SF itself renting a bike is a great option. You could ride from downtown to the Golden Gate Bridge, across it, then back to the city. Biking to AT&T Park would also be the best hassle-free way of going there.

If you're interested in surrounding areas, rent a car to drive the Golden Gate to Sausalito and have a nice lunch there - plenty of nice restaurants near the water. Alternatively, if you're some kind of snob you can drive further to Napa and smell your own farts but that'll take an entire day.

It's also worth checking out the East Bay. Visit Berkeley (~20 min BART ride from Market St. to downtown Berkeley), see the Cal campus, and eat pizza at a place called Cheese Board. They do a single type of pizza each day, and it's always delicious. Emeryville (just south of Berkeley) is a nice shopping area - that's also where Pixar's studio is located.
Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-12, 18:10

There's a diner near Union Square called Sear's that serves crazy good bacon.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 18:16

Ted Brogan wrote:Do the night tour of Alcatraz, but it fills up quite a while in advance and might already be booked for the weekend you'll be in town. Otherwise Alcatraz during the day is still great.

Spend an afternoon just exploring the city. Start in Market Street, check out the major areas (e.g. Union Square, mall, etc.), then make your way to Embarcadero through North Beach or just take a cable car. Explore Embarcadero, buy some shitty tourist t-shirts, get some chocolate at the Ghiradelli Factory, and eat some In-N-Out. Overall SF is great for walking unless you are weak (or morbidly obese) and can't handle some hills. In terms of efficiency, if you want to really explore SF itself renting a bike is a great option. You could ride from downtown to the Golden Gate Bridge, across it, then back to the city. Biking to AT&T Park would also be the best hassle-free way of going there.

If you're interested in surrounding areas, rent a car to drive the Golden Gate to Sausalito and have a nice lunch there - plenty of nice restaurants near the water. Alternatively, if you're some kind of snob you can drive further to Napa and smell your own farts but that'll take an entire day.

It's also worth checking out the East Bay. Visit Berkeley (~20 min BART ride from Market St. to downtown Berkeley), see the Cal campus, and eat pizza at a place called Cheese Board. They do a single type of pizza each day, and it's always delicious. Emeryville (just south of Berkeley) is a nice shopping area - that's also where Pixar's studio is located.

I love you.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-09-12, 18:32

Great way to see the city
Tell me about San Fran Loving-the-segway-in-san-francisco-photo_10079033-fit468x296

....no, not really. I saw a group of these geeks pass by and they resembled a flock of birds, fanny pack, cargo short wearing geeky birds.
They were somewhat amusing.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 18:33

I.B. Fine wrote:Great way to see the city
Tell me about San Fran Loving-the-segway-in-san-francisco-photo_10079033-fit468x296

....no, not really. I saw a group of these geeks pass by and they resembled a flock of birds, fanny pack, cargo short wearing geeky birds.

Tell me about San Fran 502811600 I've seen these around Denver. You shitting me, you see me on one of THOSE?! I'll take one of Bob saks bikes.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-09-12, 18:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:Great way to see the city

Tell me about San Fran 502811600 I've seen these around Denver. You shitting me, you see me on one of THOSE?! I'll take one of Bob saks bikes.
In all honesty OPTP, if I saw you on one of those I would have to borrow Ghost's shotgun and put you out of your misery, it would be the humane thing.

Actually, I'd expect to see you along Haight-Ashbury with a fat one (joint, you're not Blanch)
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan 2016-09-12, 18:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I love you.

Do you have specific things in mind or cuisines you want to try?

If you like sushi then you should definitely get a sushirrito.

Tell me about San Fran VrN5nWN

Also, earlier I meant to say Fisherman's Wharf instead of Embarcadero (which is the street that leads into Fisherman's Wharf). Some more ideas would be the California Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, or Museum of Modern Art if you're into that kind of thing.

Golden Gate Park is also beautiful, but you'd need to bike or hitch a ride there. The Presidio is a gorgeous neighborhood area along the water - it's on the way to Golden Gate Bridge if you're going from Fisherman's Wharf. The Farmer's Market at Ferry Plaza (on the east side of town) would be a fun Saturday morning.

Really it just depends on what kinds of things you want to do. I don't know too much about the city but that's some of the stuff that stuck out to me when I was in the Bay Area.
Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-12, 18:52

Ted Brogan wrote:

Tell me about San Fran VrN5nWN

Can you overnight me a couple of those? I'll send a pie back.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-09-12, 19:53

Tell me about San Fran 1633878724
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-09-12, 22:30

Went there when I was 14 on a family trip. Really cool city. Got hit on by an old gay dude. Odd. Back a few times for work over the last decade or so. Didn't get to see as much as I did on the gay dude family trip but still a really cool place. Alcatraz is one of the coolest tourist-y places I've ever been to.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 22:31

Ted Brogan wrote:

Also, earlier I meant to say Fisherman's Wharf instead of Embarcadero (which is the street that leads into Fisherman's Wharf). Some more ideas would be the California Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, or Museum of Modern Art if you're into that kind of thing.

Golden Gate Park is also beautiful, but you'd need to bike or hitch a ride there. The Presidio is a gorgeous neighborhood area along the water - it's on the way to Golden Gate Bridge if you're going from Fisherman's Wharf. The Farmer's Market at Ferry Plaza (on the east side of town) would be a fun Saturday morning.

Really it just depends on what kinds of things you want to do. I don't know too much about the city but that's some of the stuff that stuck out to me when I was in the Bay Area.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm sure I'll have someone to tour my tourist ass around as well, pretty much looking to explore the city, rage, eat some bomb food, and rage. I can definitely get down with the biking. Oh, and Alcatraz would be neat as hell. In.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-09-12, 22:32

Distant relative of mine was murdered there in the early 1900s, stabbed with a knife. Cool story, bro.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 22:34

I'm watching a football game in San Francisco right now otpt. I'll let you know if I learn anything.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 22:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm watching a football game in San Francisco right now otpt. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Me too. It's like we are watching it together.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 22:37

:)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-09-12, 22:40

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm watching a football game in San Francisco right now otpt. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Santa Clara =/= San Fran, 50 miles away lol!
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-12, 23:29

Nobody cares about whatever soccer match you're watching right now, or where you are watching it at.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 23:29

pulling69 wrote:

Santa Clara =/= San Fran, 50 miles away lol!

Shit.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-09-12, 23:30

Turtleneck wrote:

Nobody cares about whatever soccer match you're watching right now, or where you are watching it at.

My soccer team played at that stadium last month :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-12, 23:48

pulling69 wrote:Distant relative of mine was murdered there in the early 1900s, stabbed with a knife. Cool story, bro.

I mean. It's interesting.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down