Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line Play

+10
Nordic
InTenSity
Blanch32
Herbie Green
SeeRockCity
The_Dude
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Line Play Empty Line Play

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 14:54

The Staggering Decline of Michigan State's Line Play

Geezuz.  We lost a lot of guys.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Line Play Empty Re: Line Play

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-10-18, 15:06

It's a good article, thanks for sharing. But I think what the article states has also become pretty obvious to anyone with half of a brain. I bite my tongue when my buddy at tailgate is lamenting TOC's play and saying that Lewerke will energize the entire team and the defense will get off the field. Or blaming Dave Warner for the lack of a running game.

There are other points to be made about each of those other areas (and countless others, as well), but if you want to nail THE problem with the 2016 season, it's in the article and it's a no brainer.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-18, 15:09

For the x and o guys... Has Warner tried to adjust to this? At all? Whether it's play calling or scheme or whatever ???
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-18, 15:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:For the x and o guys... Has Warner tried to adjust to this? At all? Whether it's play calling or scheme or whatever ???

Remember the JLS bubble screens? Good times. Probably won't work this time either, but it would take pressure off of the OL.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 15:13

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:For the x and o guys... Has Warner tried to adjust to this? At all? Whether it's play calling or scheme or whatever ???

We'll find out in a couple of weeks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-18, 15:13

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Remember the JLS bubble screens? Good times. Probably won't work this time either, but it would take pressure off of the OL.

Like Terry love and agim shabaj baby!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-10-18, 15:15

Not a ton. Slightly. But that's kind of an existential philosophical discussion, too. Same thing Coach D spent all spring and summer second guessing himself on. Do you do what you do because it's what you know and you do it well? Or do you evolve and try new things? I think this year may cause a shift in philosophy that we may see play out over the next few weeks.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-18, 15:15

NigelUno wrote:

I think we already know. 2-4.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 15:23

NigelUno wrote:The Staggering Decline of Michigan State's Line Play

Geezuz.  We lost a lot of guys.

No. 12 and 13 crootin classes complete busts. Beedle, Kieler, McGowan blow. You always have turnover.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 15:24

No. We should be running shotgun spread, roll outs, ton of jet sweeps, screens. Zero ability to adapt.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2016-10-18, 15:26

Imagine where we'd been without Conklin...

Finley's injury was a fucking travesty. Weird thing is though, OLine is a funny thing. Seems like there's so much physical development going on between seasons every year that it's a bit of a ugly duckling thing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next spring there are rumblings about this being a very good O'Line or "one of Dantonio's best" out of the blue. Shit just changes in college.

Seems to happen frequently for various players/position groups.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 15:51

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think we already know. 2-4.

I meant they might tweak some things. I didn't (and don't) expect MSU to run the spread. And the 2-4 record isn't solely the fault of the offense.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-10-18, 17:01

Say what you want but JLS was putting up points with less talent.

I would take Dave Baldwin back in a heartbeat
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 17:28

Herbie Green wrote:Say what you want but JLS was putting up points with less talent.

Dantonio needs to get rid of a power pro style. He doesn't get the OL to run that style. And without Duzzi, he can't rely on D to win games.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-18, 17:30

Herbie Green wrote:Say what you want but JLS was putting up points with less talent.

This just no 3 and 5 quick runs in the redzone
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-18, 17:31

The_Dude wrote:

Dantonio needs to get rid of a power pro style. He doesn't get the OL to run that style. And without Duzzi, he can't rely on D to win games.

This. fucked up by not keeping JLS olive coach, who eventually ended up at bama for a bit.

too bad dantonio doesn't believe in zone blocking
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 17:32

Line Play 1966794946
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 17:36

Blanch32 wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

This. fucked up by not keeping JLS olive coach, who eventually ended up at bama for a bit.

The funny thing is that 2007 was MSUs best rushing offense under Dantonio when we ranked 22nd nationally. Lol
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-18, 17:47

The_Dude wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

The funny thing is that 2007 was MSUs best rushing offense under Dantonio when we ranked 22nd nationally. Lol

Yup. and none of those dudes went pro either. I'm sorry but Staten has been a complete failure out of the gate, and I'm just hoping a 2 win season get his ass canned. hell, I'm ok with keeping everyone else if it means we can upgrade just that position
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 17:51

The_Dude wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

This.  fucked up by not keeping JLS olive coach, who eventually ended up at bama for a bit.

Except that's not true.

2007 = 2576 yards, 198.2/game
2014 = 3057 yards, 235.2/game

So, how is it funny?  

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/teamcume.html
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-10-18, 18:00

The_Dude wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Good point. I was thinking it was just the spread scheme, but JLS's Oline coach was Jeff Stoutland, who is now the Oline coach for the Eagles.
Other JLS offensive staff -
Jim Mcelwain - Current head coach of Florida
Dave Baldwin - served as OC for Oregon State, Colorado State and head coach of San Jose State
Doug Nussmeir - Current OC at Florida after stints at Washington, Alabama and Michigan
Ben Sirmans - Current running back coach for the Packers
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 18:06

Herbie Green wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Good point.  I was thinking it was just the spread scheme, but JLS's Oline coach was Jeff Stoutland, who is now the Oline coach for the Eagles.  
Dave Baldwin - served as OC for Oregon State, Colorado State and head coach of San Jose State
Doug Nussmeir - Current OC at Florida after stints at Washington, Alabama and Michigan

It might be a good point...if it wasn't wrong.

And 2007 with Dantonio has what to do with JLS?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-18, 18:17

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Good point.  I was thinking it was just the spread scheme, but JLS's Oline coach was Jeff Stoutland, who is now the Oline coach for the Eagles.  

Dantonio D plus JLS O = natty
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-10-18, 18:17

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

It is still a very good point even though it is barely wrong by one other outlier season. I don't think MSU's rushing offense ranked in the top 50 in any of Dantonio's 8 other seasons. MSU is running football team that isn't good at running the football, unless you think being in the top 50 running offenses 2 out of every 10 years is impressive.

2007 is interesting because that is Dantonio's first year, so maybe he inherited an Oline that was already developed primarily by Stoutland. I don't know if that is true or not but it is a possible theory - kind of like the MSU defense's regression since the loss of Narduzzi.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-18, 18:19

This thread turned into a schtick fest.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 18:23

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

My bad. MSU was 21st nationally in 2014. 21, 22...sane thing.

The point is, MSU has struggled to run the ball effectively most of Dantonios tenure.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 18:28

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It is still a very good point even though it is barely wrong by one other outlier season. I don't think MSU's rushing offense ranked in the top 50 in any of Dantonio's 8 other seasons. MSU is running football team that isn't good at running the football, unless you think being in the top 50 running offenses 2 out of every 10 years is impressive.

2007 is interesting because that is Dantonio's first year, so maybe he inherited an Oline that was already developed primarily by Stoutland. I don't know if that is true or not but it is a possible theory - kind of like the MSU defense's regression since the loss of Narduzzi.

Yeah, in 2011 with Bell and Baker MSU ranked 78th nationally in rush O! Was bad in 2010, 59th in 2013, and bad in 2015 too.

Only one year of MDs top 5 teams was MSU a good rushing team. And MSU were kind of frauds in 2010 and 2015. Lost bowl games 49-7 and 38-0. Can't really spin that.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 18:29

The_Dude wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

The point is, MSU has struggled to run the ball effectively most of Dantonios tenure.

Now you're comparing apples and oranges. You're using total yards for 2007 (#22 in nation) vs. Average yards in 2014 (#21). So, it's not "21, 22...same thing". And...you were wrong...by over 35 yards/game. So...what was funny again?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-10-18, 18:31

The_Dude wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Yeah, in 2011 with Bell and Baker MSU ranked 78th nationally in rush O! Was bad in 2010, 59th in 2013, and bad in 2015 too.

Only one year of MDs top 5 teams was MSU a good rushing team. And MSU were kind of frauds in 2010 and 2015. Lost bowl games 49-7 and 38-0. Can't really spin that.
Add you go about spinning it lol.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 18:32

NigelUno wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Now you're comparing apples and oranges. You're using total yards for 2007 (#22 in nation) vs. Average yards in 2014 (#21). So, it's not "21, 22...same thing". And...you were wrong...by over 35 yards/game. So...what was funny again?

The point still stands. I'm not going to spend hours researching a topic that won't change the overall point.

Dantonio teams blow at running the ball outside of two years. One of those years weren't his players.

He needs to adapt his offensive style or recruit better OL.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-10-18, 18:43

NigelUno wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Now you're comparing apples and oranges.  You're using total yards for 2007 (#22 in nation) vs. Average yards in 2014 (#21).  So, it's not "21, 22...same thing".  And...you were wrong...by over 35 yards/game.  So...what was funny again?

Line Play Url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHlO-ftuXPAhUDOT4KHalgBUQQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquotesgram
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 18:44

The_Dude wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Now you're comparing apples and oranges.  You're using total yards for 2007 (#22 in nation) vs. Average yards in 2014 (#21).  So, it's not "21, 22...same thing".  And...you were wrong...by over 35 yards/game.  So...what was funny again?

The point still stands. I'm not going to spend hours researching a topic that won't change the overall point.

Dantonio teams blow at running the ball outside of two years. One of those years weren't his players.

Not his players.

Line Play 502811600

Dantonio 2007 rushing/game = 198.2
JLS 2006 rushing/game = 129.2

Whose players were they in 2006?  

Here's what is funny:

A.  You are discounting WINNING to spin (Because you're a Michigan fan pretending to be a Michigan State fan).
B.  You give zero credit to the OL for protecting the QB (thus allowing for more passing yards).
C.  You're an idiot.
D.  C isn't funny per se.

P.S. Like you said a few weeks ago...stats are for losers. That you're using them to discount WINNING only indicates that you are...a loser.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2016-10-18, 18:47; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 18:45

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This thread turned into a schtick fest.

The Fake, blanch52, Herbie...all it needs is Vlad and Tanfan and the circle will be complete.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-18, 18:46

The_Dude wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Why do you love being wrong so much? It's weird.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 18:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Why do you love being wrong so much? It's weird.

It's a lot of work to be a Michigan fan pretending to be a Michigan State fan. Who cares about facts?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-18, 18:49

Lebowski you talk about "spinning" and then go onto try to spin 11+ win seasons. Fuck off with that.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-10-18, 19:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Lebowski you talk about "spinning" and then go onto try to spin 11+ win seasons. Fuck off with that.

Now you are shifting subjects.

We are specifically talking about the offense and run game. Not overall wins.

The D has been in a free fall. The run game was never good. When you can't rely on D to win you better have offense. We've never had offense for the most part which is why without good defense it needs to change.

It's really not hard to follow.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 19:17

The_Dude wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Lebowski you talk about "spinning" and then go onto try to spin 11+ win seasons. Fuck off with that.

Now you are shifting subjects.

We are specifically talking about the offense and run game. Not overall wins.

The D has been in a free fall. The run game was never good. When you can't rely on D to win you better have offense. We've never had offense for the most part which is why without good defense it needs to change.

It's really not hard to follow.

Uhh...no. You were the one that shifted subjects.

What's not hard to follow is that you're a Michigan fan pretending to be a Michigan State fan.

Only a Michigan fan would call MSU's team in 2015 a fraud.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-18, 19:17

He's just talking football, deputy.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-10-18, 20:19

Blanch32 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Dantonio D plus JLS O = natty

Who doesn't love trick plays? I'm sure Dave Baldwin could be had for cheap, he's currently the I/S WRs coach at Oregon State (demoted from OC last year).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next