Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor'

+8
RBW Spartan
Gob Bluth
Sponge Worthy
Macks
tGreenWay
JEK
Rocinante
SpartyHard
12 posters

Go down

Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor' Empty Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor'

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-27, 12:20

EAST LANSING — The analysts on ESPN's College Football Live show on Friday couldn't say enough about Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

The Michigan State football team and coaching staff have all summer long to watch film of the Ducks' talented Heisman Trophy candidate, whom they'll face on Sept. 6 after the Aug. 30 home opener against Jacksonville State.

Hit the link to read more...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/05/michigan_state_football_will_f.html
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor' Empty Re: Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor'

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-27, 12:54

SpartyHard wrote:EAST LANSING — The analysts on ESPN's College Football Live show on Friday couldn't say enough about Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

The Michigan State football team and coaching staff have all summer long to watch film of the Ducks' talented Heisman Trophy candidate, whom they'll face on Sept. 6 after the Aug. 30 home opener against Jacksonville State.

Hit the link to read more...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/05/michigan_state_football_will_f.html

Discipline in coverage and OLB containment is the key to beating any mobile QB. He's going to keep some plays alive, so the DBs have to stay with the receivers as long as possible. So the two defense positions with the least game experience will be the keys to the defense. It's going to be a trial by fire.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor' Empty Re: Michigan State football has summer to ready for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota's 'Hawaiian Chill Factor'

Post by JEK 2014-05-27, 12:57

Was hoping this kid would go pro. That said, he'll be a great measuring stick for our defense early on.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-27, 12:58

Rocinante wrote:

Discipline in coverage and OLB containment is the key to beating any mobile QB. He's going to keep some plays alive, so the DBs have to stay with the receivers as long as possible.  So the two defense positions with the least game experience will be the keys to the defense.  It's going to be a trial by fire.

I believe Oregon's receivers will be pretty inexperienced as well.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-27, 13:03

JEK wrote:

I believe Oregon's receivers will be pretty inexperienced as well.

If the line and LBs let the QB run around long enough, I could get open.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-05-27, 13:09

Eff that. Oregon has the summer to prepare for Michigan State.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-27, 13:12

I know Mariota is a better passer than other mobile QB's we've faced (Miller, Gardner, Denard) but I think the same holds true. Make Mariota beat us with his arm.

I'm sure the staff with consult with Stanford and/or other PAC 12 coaches in order to get a better idea of what to expect.

I still think we will win this game. Oregon has shown that it really struggle with big, physically imposing teams.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Macks 2014-05-27, 14:07

Mariota is a wayyyy better passer than pretty much any mobile QB we've faced. He threw 31 TDs to 4 INTs while racking up 3665 yards at a 63.5% clip (9.5 YPA).

Our defense is going to have their work cut out for them. Our offense needs to dominate their D and keep Mariota on the bench.
Macks
Macks
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-27, 14:12

Macks wrote:Mariota is a wayyyy better passer than pretty much any mobile QB we've faced. He threw 31 TDs to 4 INTs while racking up 3665 yards at a 63.5% clip (9.5 YPA).

Our defense is going to have their work cut out for them. Our offense needs to dominate their D and keep Mariota on the bench.

Great point, we need to control the Time of Possession category. I do have faith that our offense can put together some solid drives to keep Mariota on the bench, much like the B1GCG.

I still think if we make Mariota beat us with his arm, and limit his scrambles, that we can be successful at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 6th.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-27, 14:14

It is also important to note that IMO we have an advantage in terms of coaching.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-27, 14:17

Rocinante wrote:

If the line and LBs let the QB run around long enough, I could get open.

True, if he has time to freelance that could spell trouble. But so much of Oregon's offense is based on timing and quick-hitters. Mariotta may not have great chemistry with his green WRs this early in the season.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-05-27, 17:23

I'd put the over/under at 64 points for this game.. and I'd take the over.

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-05-27, 19:32

How does Mariota plan on getting ready for our defense's 'kill' factor?
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-28, 00:11

Sponge Worthy wrote:I'd put the over/under at 64 points for this game.. and I'd take the over.

Yea I think you are right in the range. I think low to mid sixties.

I still think our Defense will surprise some folk, and our offense seems more than coherent. I think Oregon scores in the high twenties and we walk out with the 34-28 W.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-05-28, 06:52

SpartyHard wrote:I know Mariota is a better passer than other mobile QB's we've faced (Miller, Gardner, Denard) but I think the same holds true. Make Mariota beat us with his arm.

I'm sure the staff with consult with Stanford and/or other PAC 12 coaches in order to get a better idea of what to expect.

I still think we will win this game. Oregon has shown that it really struggle with big, physically imposing teams.

Yeah, I'm sure Stanford is super anxious to help us.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-28, 14:17

RBW Spartan wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure Stanford is super anxious to help us.

Why wouldn't they be? Coaching staff's consult with one another often during the offseason in order to prepare for irregular OOC opponents. We helped Nick Satan, I mean Saban before they played Michigan in Dallas two years ago. Stanford and Oregon have a rivalry of their own and don't like each other, so I could see it happening. Not to mention Stanford has had success in slowing down the potent Oregon offense in the past. It's not like our staff and players were disrespectful towards Stanford after we won the Rose Bowl.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-28, 14:35

I wouldn't mind playing Stanford every year. Their team, coach and fans all appeared to be very respectful of MSU and football. The only reason I would think that Stanford might not help MSU is dependent on their loyalties to the PAC12. Stanford beating an undefeated Oregon would help their chances to be in the playoff more than beating a 1 loss Oregon.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-28, 16:49

InTenSity wrote:I wouldn't mind playing Stanford every year. Their team, coach and fans all appeared to be very respectful of MSU and football. The only reason I would think that Stanford might not help MSU is dependent on their loyalties to the PAC12. Stanford beating an undefeated Oregon would help their chances to be in the playoff more than beating a 1 loss Oregon.

Their band is a bunch of idiots. Not sure I'd want to see them every year.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-28, 18:01

The kid, when healthy, is amazing. The only advantage I think we have is that Miller showed us a similar running skill set, only Miller saved toss from getting destroyed by us two years in a row simply with his strength- we would actually get a defender wrapping him up, and Miller would shake the guy off. The ou kid does not have that lower body strength. We can, and will, get to him.

That's the other thing- from the games I've seen, he tends to get gimpy if teams get to him. Plays through it, but it is a factor with him more than Miller.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-05-28, 18:26

Cook is going to have to have the offense rolling which he will imo.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-28, 23:42

2014-05-28
The_Dude wrote:Cook is going to have to have the offense rolling which he will imo.

If the O-line has a good game, and can create momentum on the ground with Langford, then that should help Cook. Connor and the offense in general is great when able to find balance.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-29, 04:16

Rocinante wrote:

Their band is a bunch of idiots.  Not sure I'd want to see them every year.

Bwaaaaa. Who gives a shit about the others school's band? Are you a band nerd?
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-29, 04:18

Mentalstate wrote:The kid, when healthy, is amazing. The only advantage I think we have is that Miller showed us a similar running skill set, only Miller saved toss from getting destroyed by us two years in a row simply with his strength- we would actually get a defender wrapping him up, and Miller would shake the guy off. The ou kid does not have that lower body strength. We can, and will, get to him.

That's the other thing- from the games I've seen, he tends to get gimpy if teams get to him. Plays through it, but it is a factor with him more than Miller.

Dude with you it's always the officiating.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down