Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will you let your kid play football?

+17
CheesySpartan
Vlad
Robert J Sakimano
Frank Ricard
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
Herbie Green
The Pantry
Blanch32
DWags
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
Stoops21
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
Hurricane Izzo
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will you let your kid play football? Empty Will you let your kid play football?

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 15:32

Holy Balls!

I made the mistake of starting a thread on the RCMB that I'm excited that my 2nd son is getting fitted for his varsity jersey today. I may have made the mistake of sliding a bravo moment (called non-players pussies) into the post. The bravado part was a mistake, but I've never been crucified like that in my life.

I certainly understand that football is a violent game. I don't make my kids play, but they fucking love it and I won't apologize for loving watching them play. They are really good and Friday night has become a big deal for me.

What the hell has happened to people? I guess it was the same few people attacking me, and maybe they are here too and will jump on me as well, but I was shocked that absolutely nobody defended letting their kids play football.

Anyone?
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Will you let your kid play football? Empty Re: Will you let your kid play football?

Post by Guest 2017-02-28, 15:37

Both of my sons played by choice.

It'll be up to my grandson if he wants to, I would never stop him.
There are too many benefits to playing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Will you let your kid play football? Empty Re: Will you let your kid play football?

Post by InTenSity 2017-02-28, 15:47

Neither of my kids will play football. I never played football. I won't fight with those who want to play, or want their kids to play. I'm guessing that the argument is that with what we know today, why would you want to take the chance of long term injury.

InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-02-28, 15:59

My son chose not to play. A lot of it had to do with the way youth football was run.

The father of one of his best friends who'd been a 3 year starter at GVSU and was an assistant to his brother at a local HS for almost 10 years. I got a call from the father saying he was coaching and he'd like my 5th grade some to be on his team. He'd coached him for basketball for 3 years and liked his attitude.

The guy got to the meeting and was told he could be an assistant but a coach who had quit a year before wanted to come back and they had given him the roster , phone numbers etc.

The next day the new HC called the house. My kid had a heads up and said if Mr.Smith who played and coached isn't good enough for them I don't want to play. He never looked back. 4 years of tennis and baseball, 2 years of basketball. Now he's a HS official for basketball baseball and football.

My oldest is a PA and isn't a fan of HS football or youth hockey.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 16:05

GRR Spartan wrote:My son chose not to play. A lot of it had to do with the way youth football was run.

The father of one of his best friends who'd been a 3 year starter at GVSU and was an assistant to his brother at a local HS for almost 10 years. I got a call from the father saying he was coaching and he'd like my 5th grade some to be on his team. He'd coached him for basketball for 3 years and liked his attitude.

The guy got to the meeting and was told he could be an assistant but a coach who had quit a year before wanted to come back and they had given him the roster , phone numbers etc.

The next day the new HC called the house. My kid had a heads up and said if Mr.Smith who played and coached isn't good enough for them I don't want to play. He never looked back. 4 years of tennis and baseball, 2 years of basketball. Now he's a HS official for basketball baseball and football.

Football isn't for everyone, and have no issue with that. I obviously made a mistake sort of throwing a comment that put people on the defensive. I am entirely for kids playing sports they love. I really don't care which ones they are.
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2017-02-28, 16:40

If they want to play teach them about concussions and always keeping their head up. I understand concerns about kids playing football but also feel there is a lot of fear mongering around it.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 16:49

Stoops21 wrote:If they want to play teach them about concussions and always keeping their head up. I understand concerns about kids playing football but also feel there is a lot of fear mongering around it.

Thanks for jumping in with this completely rational comment on the RCMB. Fuck em, I guess. Deleted the link from my favorites. I can't believe what has happened to that place. Its like a tumblr conference.
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-02-28, 16:52

I like the bubble helmets they make kids wear for 7 on 7 spring stuff. Those are cool.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-28, 16:56

I would think long and hard about it at anything above the HS level. I don't think my son is interested in football. He has mom's aversion to risk. He is really digging hoops and I'm just fine with that. Then again he's still really young and that may change.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-28, 17:34

Hurricane Izzo wrote:
Stoops21 wrote:If they want to play teach them about concussions and always keeping their head up. I understand concerns about kids playing football but also feel there is a lot of fear mongering around it.

Thanks for jumping in with this completely rational comment on the RCMB. Fuck em, I guess. Deleted the link from my favorites. I can't believe what has happened to that place. Its like a tumblr conference.

Welp, maybe instead of calling their kids pussies, you should've called them candy asses.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 17:36

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I would think long and hard about it at anything above the HS level. I don't think my son is interested in football. He has mom's aversion to risk. He is really digging hoops and I'm just fine with that. Then again he's still really young and that may change.

My kids play HS Football. They love it. There are an unbelievable number of high school chicks in and out of my house. Where is the problem?
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 17:38

Glad I had two girls who wanted to play but choose tennis and dance. I would expose my son to it and if he wanted to stick with it I'd go over head up drills with him and inform him about concussions and go from there. It's a great sport but make sure they're being taught properly.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 17:39

tGreenWay wrote:
Hurricane Izzo wrote:

Welp, maybe instead of calling their kids pussies, you should've called them candy asses.

Honestly, 0.0 people defended HS football. Not one.
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 17:44

x

Last edited by DWags on 2017-02-28, 18:33; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 17:44

DWags wrote:Glad I had two girls who wanted to play but choose tennis and dance. I would expose my son to it and if he wanted to stick with it I'd go over head up drills with him and inform him about concussions and go from there. It's a great sport but make sure they're being taught properly.

Yep, absolutely. If I recall, you played. How's your brain? I assume you a drooling idiot at this point? I mean, if what we read is accurate, anyone who played football at a level higher than flag is destined for life as a vegetable. Right?
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 17:45

Hurricane Izzo wrote:
DWags wrote:Glad I had two girls who wanted to play but choose tennis and dance. I would expose my son to it and if he wanted to stick with it I'd go over head up drills with him and inform him about concussions and go from there. It's a great sport but make sure they're being taught properly.

Yep, absolutely. If I recall, you played. How's your brain? I assume you a drooling idiot at this point? I mean, if what we read is accurate, anyone who played football at a level higher than flag is destined for life as a vegetable. Right?

Will you let your kid play football? 502811600 you might want my wife's opinion
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Izzo 2017-02-28, 17:51

DWags wrote:
Hurricane Izzo wrote:

Will you let your kid play football? 502811600 you might want my wife's opinion

Yours and mine
Hurricane Izzo
Hurricane Izzo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-02-28, 18:05

GRR Spartan wrote:My son chose not to play. A lot of it had to do with the way youth football was run.

shocked your kids even like sports...
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 18:13

Let it go GR. Only idiots say shit about people's kids on message boards. Consider who did it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-28, 18:52

Hurricane Izzo wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I would think long and hard about it at anything above the HS level. I don't think my son is interested in football. He has mom's aversion to risk. He is really digging hoops and I'm just fine with that. Then again he's still really young and that may change.

My kids play HS Football. They love it. There are an unbelievable number of high school chicks in and out of my house. Where is the problem?

Just to be clear, I said above the HS level. I don't think I would be overly concerned about a short football career with minimal hitting at the Jr High/PW level and then a couple years of varsity football. I don't think I'd ever have to worry about anything beyond that even if he did show interest.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-28, 19:00

Hurricane Izzo wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Honestly, 0.0 people defended HS football. Not one.

I loved playing HS football. If I'd had a son, I'd let him decide what sports, if any, he wanted to play. I'd probably discourage any extracurricular activities that started first thing Saturday mornings. Baseball doubleheaders always started around 10 or 11 on Saturdays, and I could've handled that, but those mathletes were up and at'em by 7 or 8 am. No fucking way.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-02-28, 20:10

DWags wrote:Let it go GR. Only idiots say shit about people's kids on message boards. Consider who did it.

lol. you seriously thought that was a dig on his kids?

hell, i thought he just had daughters like you
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-02-28, 20:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Hurricane Izzo wrote:

Just to be clear, I said above the HS level. I don't think I would be overly concerned about a short football career with minimal hitting at the Jr High/PW level and then a couple years of varsity football. I don't think I'd ever have to worry about anything beyond that even if he did show interest.

why above? that shit is scholarship most likely. hell my boy needs knee surgery due to hs football now. did the other one 2 years ago....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-02-28, 20:35

My youngest decided to play 7th and 8th grade. Was not very tall at the time, probably one of the lightest guys on the team, and not that gifted in the coordination & speed it takes to overcome his size limitation. His determination was amazing, though.

Played mostly special teams but got some time on defensive snaps. Still have this picture burned in my memory:

Opposing team had the ball around their own 35-40. Their QB was a monster...probably weighed 40-50# more than my kid and maybe 10 inches taller. Snapped the ball and the QB started running to the outside on my kid's side of the field. Kid didn't tackle him but latched on as he whooshed past. Was sorta flying behind him like a flag. slowing him down before his teammates knocked the guy out of bounds after a 15-20 yard gain.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-02-28, 20:59

I don't think I would stop him but I am glad he is not playing.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2017-02-28, 21:09

I completely fd up my neck and back playing basketball, injuries can happen doing any activity. Hell I think girls soccer is worse than football, so many concussions and blown out ACLs
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-28, 21:18

CORNER BLITZ wrote:I completely fd up my neck and back playing basketball, injuries can happen doing any activity. Hell I think girls soccer is worse than football, so many concussions and blown out ACLs

Don't laugh, but Dance is a bitch on kids bodies. We shut my youngest one down one year. My 77 year old hippy mom asked us to consider medical marijuana for her pain. Knee foot and arch. She was messed up.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-02-28, 23:09

DWags wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:I completely fd up my neck and back playing basketball, injuries can happen doing any activity. Hell I think girls soccer is worse than football, so many concussions and blown out ACLs

Don't laugh, but Dance is a bitch on kids bodies. We shut my youngest one down one year. My 77 year old hippy mom asked us to consider medical marijuana for her pain. Knee foot and arch. She was messed up.

you didn't just seriously post this and expect agreement, right? then again i never seen a single episode of dancing wjth the stars, so maybe i am out of the loop here....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 01:09

Don't have kids, don't want kids. But if I did, I would strongly discourage my kid from playing football. I'd have him talk to people like my friend's dad whose knees and back have been fucked up virtually his entire adult life from playing HS football. If my hypothetical son considered all the evidence and still decided he wanted to play, I would let him, but I'd try to make it be his decision not to.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-03-01, 03:19

I would have loved to be good at football in HS. But at over 6' and a buck sixty, I could have only played at WR and the secondary. Too slow. I would have played on the line and got my ass kicked every down. No thanks. Did it for a couple of years, but didn't stick around trying to play varsity.

Fast forward and my son was even taller, weighed less, and had the curse of being slow. Not slow necessarily, just not quick. His frontline speed was better than me, but slow off the blocks. Didn't have an interest in playing football and never considered going out. His choice and he made a good one.

My thing was I wanted all my kids to be involved in something. Didn't care what is was. Maybe I'm old school sexist, but I thought it was more important for the guys to be involved in sports. He ended up doing golf, Xcountry, hoops and track at the Varsity level. I wanted the girls to do something too, but it didn't have to be sports related.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-03-01, 09:28

I thought football was a horrible sport to play anyway. After playing basketball and individual sports I couldn't find much allure in it. I always wanted to be directly involved in the action. I think that is why I grew bored with baseball as well.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 09:30

I asked my daughter about it.. she's not interested.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2017-03-01, 10:04

I let my son play for a year. It was probably a mistake. He didn't suffer any serious injury, but from the injuries to his teammates he would tell me about...damn!

And this is in an area where HS football is the "other" religion. Andrew Luck played a few miles to the east, Andy Dalton played a few miles to the north. They got former NFL players working as assistant coaches in JR. HIGH! And they're studying film to prepare for opponents...AT THE JR HIGH LEVEL! WTF?!

Last edited by Vlad on 2017-03-01, 10:23; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 10:10

Vlad wrote:I let my son play for a year. It was probably a mistake. He didn't suffer any serious injury, but from the injuries to his teammates he would tell me about...damn!

And this is in an area where HS football is the "other" religion. Andrew Luck played a few miles to the east, Andy Dalton played a few miles to the north. They got former players working as assistant coaches in JR. HIGH! And they're studying film to prepare for opponents...AT THE JR HIGH LEVEL! WTF?!
Friday Night Tykes?

Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-03-01, 10:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Vlad wrote:I let my son play for a year. It was probably a mistake. He didn't suffer any serious injury, but from the injuries to his teammates he would tell me about...damn!

And this is in an area where HS football is the "other" religion. Andrew Luck played a few miles to the east, Andy Dalton played a few miles to the north. They got former players working as assistant coaches in JR. HIGH! And they're studying film to prepare for opponents...AT THE JR HIGH LEVEL! WTF?!
Friday Night Tykes?

Wink

Thats an actual show. It's based in TX.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-01, 10:17

Herbie Green wrote:I thought football was a horrible sport to play anyway. After playing basketball and individual sports I couldn't find much allure in it. I always wanted to be directly involved in the action. I think that is why I grew bored with baseball as well.

Basketball is an individual sport? I think we've found the problem.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-01, 10:28

And this is in an area where HS football is the "other" religion. Andrew Luck played a few miles to the east, Andy Dalton played a few miles to the north. They got former NFL players working as assistant coaches in JR. HIGH! And they're studying film to prepare for opponents...AT THE JR HIGH LEVEL! WTF?!

Vlad, I'm disappointed in you. You have to demand excellence, even at the middle school level. Don't get soft on us.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 10:39

CheesySpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Friday Night Tykes?

Wink

Thats an actual show.  It's based in TX.
really?

you mean I didn't just randomly throw three words together that happens to be the name of a TV show where kids play football.. in a thread about kids playing football?

Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-01, 11:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Thats an actual show.  It's based in TX.
really?

you mean I didn't just randomly throw three words together that happens to be the name of a TV show where kids play football.. in a thread about kids playing football?

Wink

Will you let your kid play football? 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2017-03-01, 11:48

Cameron wrote:

Vlad, I'm disappointed in you. You have to demand excellence, even at the middle school level. Don't get soft on us.

I demand excellence in areas that are higher priority. He's a great kid. In fact, I've got two great kids.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next