Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acupuncture

+9
Rocinante
Bill Cain
AMwood
Death Roe
tanfan!
pulling69
The Pantry
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Acupuncture Empty Acupuncture

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:13

Anyone ever try it?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Acupuncture Empty Re: Acupuncture

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:17

All the time for a variety of ailments. Ask away.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:20

I have medial epicondylitis from lifting weights and I can't get it to go away with rest, exercises and ice, etc. Heard this has helped people kick it rather quickly. Thinking about making an appointment.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have medial epicondylitis from lifting weights and I can't get it to go away with rest, exercises and ice, etc. Heard this has helped people kick it rather quickly. Thinking about making an appointment.

I can't remember where you live. Are you EL/Lansing area?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:29

No I'm in the Detroit area but if you have a kickass Dr up there that you see I might be interested in heading that way to see them.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:30

I do. She's freaking great. I had to split for dinner for about an hour. I'll get you her info and tell you how much she's helped me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:32

Thanks appreciate it!
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 21:55

Have considered the oriental version but never tried. Closest thing I've had was the mainstream medical world's version called nerve conduction velocity testing (NCV). 20 minutes of electrical shocks & acupuncture-like needle pokes while the test doc (dressed in street clothes) and his assistant (she was cute) cracked S&M jokes. Except for the short bursts of pain, it was kind of funny and I threw in my quips and played along.

Got billed a couple weeks later for $1250 after learning my employer's POS HMO healthcare insurance didn't cover the test. Do the math for the hourly rate.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 22:03

Yikes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:13

The acupuncture therapist I use is Annie Haas at Creative Wellness. (517-351-9240) Annie is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to how the body works.
BA from Indiana U., Masters from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine. She's honest and upfront. You can call her and describe your injury and ask if she has any experience and/or success working on your specific injury. She'll tell you if she thinks she can help you or not, and can generally estimate how many treatments might be needed (if more than one is necessary).

I'm not one to fall for snake oil tactics. This isn't crystals and pyramids. Acupuncture and gua sha (also something she does) work. There's a reason traditional East Asian medicine has stuck around for thousands of years.

If you decide you don't want to drive here for treatment, I can ask if she knows anyone she can recommend from around SE Michigan.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:19

Thanks Greenway. I think I will call her tomorrow. As you say, I'll explain the injury and see if she has experience with it. I'll mention I'm 90 min away but would drive b/c poster tGreenway at tSwill.com says she has nice tits. We'll go from there.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:22

You trust a woman named Haas with your acupuncture??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:26

LooseGoose wrote:You trust a woman named Haas with your acupuncture??

Read this on Yelp earlier for an Acupuncturist near me that appears a bit more "authentic".

TL;DR - I'll go with Haas

This is a hard review for me to write, but is an honest one. I have seen Dr Xu for at several months; easily over 30 visits.

Pros: Dr. Xu is a really fantastic person. She truly does care about her patients & she is at her core a great woman. She is also incredibly talented; she is a third generation trained acupuncturist and she knows her field. They use sterile NEW needles; never reused and they will unpackage them in front of you if requested. You WILL see results if you see her and it's a condition acupuncture can help. I had slightly irregular cycles and acupuncture worked wonders within the first month. I was a skeptic and she definitely has shown me the value of acupuncture.

Cons: To say that this practice lacks professionalism is a gross understatement. You should understand going in, that reviewers are not exaggerating. There is a large culture gap here. Dr. Xu speaks acceptable English and she is very bright, but you may not have a fluid dialogue. Understand this, be able to read her as you talk, and be prepared to re-explain things in simple, direct terms and you will get along fine. Your first visit you'll have a consultation and acupuncture appointment. She almost always uses seeds you wear home for self acupressure. And there is almost always an offer or upsell for a massage. Just politely decline if you are not interested. After this, you'll be brought into a room & left for your treatments. You'll be told to "drop your pants". Although you will have a blanket & all but one room is private with a closing door (the other has a curtain separating two treatment areas when they are busy), there will be people in and out of your room to check on you and they don't introduce themselves. Some are male and if seen during the summer, some may be her children who are apprenticeship learning. You will often overhear personal details about others (as I'm sure they will about you as well!) in during the same time as you as there is not a large effort placed on privacy here. I am a fairly modest person and working in healthcare myself, am accustomed to a certain level of professionalism- this was definitely an adjustment. However, I felt a difference using acupuncture, genuinely liked Dr Xu and built a rapport with her, and came to accept these things there. Eventually it didn't bother me. What I couldn't get over however was her complete breach of privacy. I recommended her to some family members. I went to see her for a medical issue I preferred keeping private (which she knew) and she had a "lengthy" discussion with my MIL/SIL when they visited her about personal details of my treatments and condition. I was floored and incredibly upset when I found out. As a result, I've found another therapist in the area to use.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Thanks Greenway. I think I will call her tomorrow. As you say, I'll explain the injury and see if she has experience with it. I'll mention I'm 90 min away but would drive b/c poster tGreenway at tSwill.com says she has nice tits. We'll go from there.

Shes very attractive in a girl next door kind of way. She's also in a long term relationship to a very large guy and they have a kid together.
As for mentioning my name and tSwill, she'll probably take the opportunity to double her fee.
She's not a miracle worker, but damn close, at least in my book. I'm amazed by the success she's had with my wife and I with respect to injuries that Western medicine couldn't correct.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:29

Yes, but I refuse to take marital advice from a woman named Donna Chang.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:33

GW, sent you a PM. Thanks again man.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:34

WBH: I'm not familiar with your type of injury, but in addition to acupuncture, you can also ask if gua sha could help. Like I said, since I don't know the problem, gua sha might not be practical. It worked wonders on my tennis elbow.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 23:41

My injury is the ugly sister of tennis elbow - it's golfer's elbow (tho not due to golf, though golf season does start soon). If I have my arm in the curling position with my palm up, the pain is on/close to the 'point' on the inside of my arm/elbow.

It fucking sucks, I've rested it for about 8-10 wks now and no progress at all. I tried to get back in the gym last week and it was actually worse.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 0:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My injury is the ugly sister of tennis elbow - it's golfer's elbow (tho not due to golf, though golf season does start soon). If I have my arm in the curling position with my palm up, the pain is on/close to the 'point' on the inside of my arm/elbow.

It fucking sucks, I've rested it for about 8-10 wks now and no progress at all. I tried to get back in the gym last week and it was actually worse.

I was having limited success with acupuncture with my tennis elbow, and that's when Annie suggested gua sha. She doesn't usually recommend it first because it can be an uncomfortable treatment. It was for me, but it worked. I had a nasty case of tennis elbow for months and rest did nothing. It was frustrating AF, so I can understand what you're dealing with. The gua sha took away probably 70% of the pain in just one treatment. It was amazing. In a couple of follow up treatments, the pain is nearly entirely gone. My arm still doesn't have all its strength back yet, but all those sharp, white hot jolts of nerve pain are gone entirely, and that's a win in my book.
BTW, you should use google images to see what you're in for with gua sha. It leaves the treated parts of your body looking like it was run over by a truck I'm talking seriously nasty-looking red marks. Remember the marks on Michael Phelps back? That was from cupping, which is a kind of similar idea to gua sha.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 0:54

tGreenWay wrote:

Yes, but I refuse to take marital advice from a woman named Donna Chang.

Lol. Exactly my reference.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 3:11

Nuru is what you are looking for.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 4:25

I actually have the same condition. It's painful. But mine had actually subsided somewhat.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 8:11

pulling69 wrote:Nuru is what you are looking for.

Took way too long to be posted.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 8:16

good luck with the mrsa.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 16:11

Does the needle hurt when you put in?
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 16:34

Bill Cain wrote:Does the needle hurt when you put in?

Not really, but there's def a poke. It's a very, very small needle, but I guess someone who has trouble with needles might have a problem with these, even though they're so tiny. I feel it more in certain body parts, probably depending on skin tightness, etc. I feel it most when it goes in my earlobe, of all places.
Every once in awhile, a needle goes in just a little too deep. All I do is mention it and she'll pull it back a bit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 16:36

tanfan! wrote:I actually have the same condition. It's painful. But mine had actually subsided somewhat.

WBH's problem or mine? Like I said, gua sha was very effective at removing the nerve pain in my tennis elbow.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 17:48

Have nothing against acupuncture but find it a little amusing it is a seemingly less frowned upon method than chiropractic.

Admit to having some reservations about chiropractic now but can not deny it cured a sudden series of sinus infections that maybe 4 or 5 different antibiotics could not. For all I know, acupuncture might have worked too. Acupuncture 2599972566
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 18:41

I was really hoping for more merciless teasing in this thread.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 18:48

Rocinante wrote:I was really hoping for more merciless teasing in this thread.

It's not too late. Please continue...
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 18:58

You can only tease shit that is proven to be fake, like professional wrestling.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 19:19

The Pantry wrote:
You can only tease shit that is proven to be fake, like professional wrestling.

And the health benefits of raw milk.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 19:36

Rocinante wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You can only tease shit that is proven to be fake, like professional wrestling.

Knew I could count on your short sightedness Wink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 20:08

Rocinante wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You can only tease shit that is proven to be fake, like professional wrestling.

Acupuncture 502811600 The moment I saw Pantry's post I knew this comment was on the way. It was his gift to you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 20:17

The Pantry wrote:Have nothing against acupuncture but find it a little amusing it is a seemingly less frowned upon method than chiropractic.

Admit to having some reservations about chiropractic now but can not deny it cured a sudden series of sinus infections that maybe 4 or 5 different antibiotics could not. For all I know, acupuncture might have worked too. Acupuncture 2599972566

I've noticed some people around here who are Western medicine physicians have embraced parts of both East Asian and chiropractic medicine. For example, one of the best neurologist/neurosurgeons in the state, who practices here, opened a clinic that offers both acupuncture and chiropractic services.

I've used a chiropractor in the past and probably will again, but I'm done letting him twist my neck really fast. That sort of weirds me out and there have been a few injuries and deaths related to that particular procedure. I'm curious about how your sinus problem was cured by it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 20:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My injury is the ugly sister of tennis elbow - it's golfer's elbow (tho not due to golf, though golf season does start soon). If I have my arm in the curling position with my palm up, the pain is on/close to the 'point' on the inside of my arm/elbow.

Fuck, I wonder if that is what I got going on. I gotta look that up.

About 6 weeks ago I worked out back/bis, went to the MSU hoops game and then proceeded to arm rastle Cole Chewins at Crunchy's. Needless to say I lost all 3 attempts.

Next morning I woke up and knew I was in trouble. I was more than just workout sore. My shoulder and elbow were in pain and not the day after lifting good kinda pain. To make matters worse the day after that I played racquetball. I had to quit after one game. I wanted to saw my arm off.

I've had tennis elbow so I know that pain and that does hurt too. But the biggest pain is coming from the inner elbow and surrounding tendons.  I can't shake it and it is effecting my stroke and performance. Pain after playing rball is intense.

Let me know how it works out (maybe I will find out as I keep reading). I'm at the age of trying anything for my ailments...acupuncture, chiropractor, gummy bears... whatever.

Side note. I bought a Tens unit (electro therapy) on Amazon and love it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 20:45

lol @ arm wrestling Chewins. Even for you. How many beers had you had at that point?

If you put your arm out like you're going to do a curl, find the "point" on the inside of your elbow. Not the pointy part of your elbow itself but you'll feel it. If the pain is on that point and/or in between that and the actual elbow, it's probably golfer's elbow. For me it particularly hurts when I try to press anything, not so much with biceps exercises. Even pushing myself up off of the couch or a chair can be really painful.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 20:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:lol @ arm wrestling Chewins. Even for you. How many beers had you had at that point?

A LOT
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 22:13

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Have nothing against acupuncture but find it a little amusing it is a seemingly less frowned upon method than chiropractic.

I've noticed some people around here who are Western medicine physicians have embraced parts of both East Asian and chiropractic medicine. For example, one of the best neurologist/neurosurgeons in the state, who practices here, opened a clinic that offers both acupuncture and chiropractic services.

I've used a chiropractor in the past and probably will again, but I'm done letting him twist my neck really fast. That sort of weirds me out and there have been a few injuries and deaths related to that particular procedure. I'm curious about how your sinus problem was cured by it.
Told the story before on tTurd, maybe here too. Never had a sinus infection until the mid 90s. Went to the doc and he gave me a prescription for a week of antibiotics. Infection went away but got another one 3 months later. Went back to the doc and got another script. Infection went away again but came back a few months later. The cycle repeated every few months for a couple years.

The wyff had started seeing a chiropractor for lower back issues. When my sinus infection problem popped up again I decided to skip my regular doc and see what he could do. Doubt chiropractic works for everyone but that sinus infection resolved with no antibiotics and did not come back.

Again, I do have issues with chiropractic. Have had three very short episodes of what I can only describe as vertigo...two of them within minutes after leaving the chiropractors office on the drive home.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 22:31

Nordic wrote:

Fuck, I wonder if that is what I got going on. I gotta look that up.

About 6 weeks ago I worked out back/bis, went to the MSU hoops game and then proceeded to arm rastle Cole Chewins at Crunchy's. Needless to say I lost all 3 attempts.

Next morning I woke up and knew I was in trouble. I was more than just workout sore. My shoulder and elbow were in pain and not the day after lifting good kinda pain. To make matters worse the day after that I played racquetball. I had to quit after one game. I wanted to saw my arm off.

I've had tennis elbow so I know that pain and that does hurt too. But the biggest pain is coming from the inner elbow and surrounding tendons.  I can't shake it and it is effecting my stroke and performance. Pain after playing rball is intense.

Let me know how it works out (maybe I will find out as I keep reading). I'm at the age of trying anything for my ailments...acupuncture, chiropractor, gummy bears... whatever.

Side note. I bought a Tens unit (electro therapy) on Amazon and love it.

Yesh, as uncomfortable as tennis elbow is, the carpal tunnel, inside the elbow nerve pain was way worse. Your comment about wanting to saw off your arm is one I said before acupuncture and surgery.
Also, thanks for the heads up about TENS. I've been wondering if that works.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: