Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC

+12
kingstonlake
Jethro Bodeen
SawGreen
DWags
Chitown_Badger
WhiteBoyHatcher
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
WBill
16 posters

Go down

McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC Empty McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC

Post by WBill Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 pm

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11036924/former-north-carolina-basketball-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade

McCants also told "Outside the Lines" that he even made the Dean's List in Spring 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes for which he received straight-A grades.

Last edited by WBill on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC Empty Re: McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC

Post by Giant Moose Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 pm

So when can we claim the 2009 hoops title?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC Empty Re: McCants goes on record of Roy Boy's academic fraud at UNC

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Giant Moose wrote:So when can we claim the 2009 hoops title?

MSU lost to UNC. It is NC A&T that will be punished by the NCAA.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

You just have to laugh.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:43 pm

GO GREEN!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Awesome....

...Florida state and auburn too...

Guess we are the national champs of integrity
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Item seems newsworthy.

Item is not newsworthy because no one will care, and nothing will happen to them.

NCAA is almost as crooked as American Politics.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Despite the fact that people are going on record about what happened, the NCAA will do nothing because they "won't be able to find any proof".
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Are we really going to continue to call this stuff we love "amateur" athletics? I'm guessing to a degree it happens at every school, but obviously not to the degree NC has pushed it, or did push it.

I don't get why any of us think a kid, getting into a university with a 3.0 and a 17 ACT will all of the sudden be able to digest college material, write papers, read novels etc. all while practicing well over 40 hours per week, and working out year round.

My point is, if we're in for a penny with these kids (allowing them to enter at standards way below general student population) then we should be in for a pound.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Give these kids athletic majors separate them from general population, teach them basic life skills and advancements, for those that work towards it, and want to achieve a higher education, push them into general population classes.

this shit aint amateur athletics. It's a joke.

That said, I could care less if we're bringing in 17's. As long as they're bad ass and we kick Michigan's ass and OSU's ass, and win championships, I'd be proud of a low standard general degree we give them, and I'd be happy they're alumni. Go Green, just win.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:05 pm

DWags wrote:Are we really going to continue to call this stuff we love "amateur" athletics?   I'm guessing to a degree it happens at every school, but obviously not to the degree NC has pushed it, or did push it.

I don't get why any of us think a kid, getting into a university with a 3.0 and a 17 ACT will all of the sudden be able to digest college material, write papers, read novels etc.  all while practicing well over 40 hours per week, and working out year round.  

My point is, if we're in for a penny with these kids (allowing them to enter at standards way below general student population) then we should be in for a pound.  

In for a penny, in for a pound. Give these kids athletic majors separate them from general population, teach them basic life skills and advancements, for those that work towards it, and want to achieve a higher education, push them into general population classes.

this shit aint amateur athletics.  It's a joke.  

That said, I could care less if we're bringing in 17's.  As long as they're bad ass and we kick Michigan's ass and OSU's ass, and win championships, I'd be proud of a low standard general degree we give them, and I'd be happy they're alumni.   Go Green, just win.  

As always you are spot on.

I stopped taking college athletics too seriously a while back. At a certain point I just learned to laugh at this stuff, because it's hilarious that all of this goes down in the name of higher education.

On the other side of it all, look at Nix and Appling. Both are the first in their families to get degrees and they earned their educations. Who's the real winner here? Cheaters often get ahead in society, but that doesn't mean they have integrity.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:45 pm

I have heard that a certain high-profile recruit dropped MSU and cancelled a visit last year because MSU wouldn't pay the "appearance fee".  I'm fine being on the right side of that coin.  Even if we're "in for a penny", I'd rather be there than "in for a pound".

The culture around D1 basketball is by and large a cesspool.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:41 pm

DWags wrote:Are we really going to continue to call this stuff we love "amateur" athletics?   I'm guessing to a degree it happens at every school, but obviously not to the degree NC has pushed it, or did push it.

I don't get why any of us think a kid, getting into a university with a 3.0 and a 17 ACT will all of the sudden be able to digest college material, write papers, read novels etc.  all while practicing well over 40 hours per week, and working out year round.  

this shit aint amateur athletics.  It's a joke.  

That said, I could care less if we're bringing in 17's.  As long as they're bad ass and we kick Michigan's ass and OSU's ass, and win championships, I'd be proud of a low standard general degree we give them, and I'd be happy they're alumni.   Go Green, just win.  

I disagree. We should lead the way with Academic Integrity. So what if we get killed in FB and BB, we will have our honor.

Sincerely

John Dibiaggio
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Forgetting what the NCAA is likely or unlikely to do....How da fuq does Huckleberry Roy keep his job ?  I think prior stories revealed he brought some guy with him from Kansas with some bullshit "academic advisor' title reprising his role of keeping these guys in school by any means possible.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:18 pm

One of my favorite college sports story is on that Frontline Episode where the two Auburn players talk about how their football coach would always go
"Remember, school is number one..." while holding up 2 fingers "and sports is number 2" while holding up one finger.

It's fucking hysterical.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:58 am

We're not Michigan football.......
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:37 am

I doubt anything will come of this, but its pretty damming what is being said out of UNC.

"Butch Davis came into a meeting one day and he said, 'if ya'll came here for an education, you should've went to Harvard,'" Powell said. "When somebody says that, what are we supposed to do? That's our leader, man. It ain't that we go in there and be like 'we want to take African American studies.' How did we know about it? They put it on the table for us, you can do this, do that."
• Report: UNC players took 35 bogus classes during 2005 title run​
Asked if he thought men's basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the fake classes, Powell said, "You know he know, man. Roy Williams is a snake."
"Listen, let me tell you this right here. One thing about Carolina, man, if you ain't got a class with a basketball player, you [better] go find one. If you got one with [them], you know it's an A ... Butch Davis kinda turned it around, but we still didn't get no respect. But when these guys, when you walked into class and saw a basketball player, if you dropped that class, I mean you were just ignorant, man."
Powell also described an instance where a men's basketball player never attended one of the classes they both shared and only came in on the day of the class. He said the girl sitting in front of the basketball player took the test for him.

SI Article
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:40 am

InTenSity wrote:I doubt anything will come of this, but its pretty damming what is being said out of UNC.

SI Article

You're right, that does stop a lot of water.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 am

As I said before lying ol' Roy and pristine NC fucked us in 2005 and 2009.

I'm even more certain that one of the reasons Izzo has "failed" in recruiting vs Kansas, Duke, NC, UK, etc is that the players know he won't let them get away with this crap. They'll actually have to go to class and work - eg Kaminsky and others.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 am

LooseGoose wrote:

As I said before lying ol' Roy and pristine NC fucked us in 2005 and 2009.

I'm even more certain that one of the reasons Izzo has "failed" in recruiting vs Kansas, Duke, NC, UK, etc is that the players know he won't let them get away with this crap.   They'll actually have to go to class and work - eg Kaminsky and others.
Izzo cares about the students. He knows that most of them aren't going to make the NBA, but if they can get a degree, they have put themselves in a good position not to fail. I haven't read many stories about former MSU players who are asking for money or living off the streets. If anything, I've read more stories about the players returning to help out. The only bad stories seem to be the kids who have left early.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:37 pm

I wonder what it takes to make the grade for a basketball player at Kentucky?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm

steveschneider wrote:I wonder what it takes to make the grade for a basketball player at Kentucky?

The ability to play basketball really well and make a mark on a piece of paper and call it you signature. Knowing how to actually spell your name is optional.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:13 pm

You left out the part were he said they ran a train on the girl that took the test for them
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down