Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the hell is going on in the UK?

+7
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Watch Out Pylon!
11 posters

Go down

What the hell is going on in the UK? Empty What the hell is going on in the UK?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/9/2017, 9:01 am

Seriously, what is this shit? Imagine Trump losing the moajrity in the House and then deciding to make a "new" government consisting of only Republicans.The constitution would never ever allow that, but imagine him just saying that. How is this even legal? I guess I don't know UK politics all that well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40219030
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What the hell is going on in the UK? Empty Re: What the hell is going on in the UK?

Post by Floyd Robertson 6/9/2017, 9:03 am

Asking for the dreaded vote of confidence and not getting it. I think that sums it up.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

What the hell is going on in the UK? Empty Re: What the hell is going on in the UK?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/9/2017, 9:12 am

Oh is she just asking to caucus with another party? That makes more sense. I must have read the article wrong. My bad.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/9/2017, 9:16 am

Sounds like the Democratic Union Party is joining May with their ten seats to keep her in 10 downing. I don't know how that works but I think they can support her to give her the majority of seats she needs. Who knows. Here's what they're known for:

staunchly pro-union and pro-Brexit,.

Their campaign manifesto included retaining the “triple lock” on pensions and cutting VAT for tourism businesses.

The DUP also supports a nuclear deterrent,

Sounds like our mix of right wing anti tax pro american blue collar union guys who jumped ship and went to Trump.

Weird times.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/9/2017, 9:17 am

I don't know.

But could you imagine the shitshow going on at the White House right now as some advisor tries to explain to trump how the United Kingdom's elections work? I mean, they're going to fail in their attempt to get him to understand, but damnit they're gonna try.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/9/2017, 9:32 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't know.

But could you imagine the shitshow going on at the White House right now as some advisor tries to explain to trump how the United Kingdom's elections work? I mean, they're going to fail in their attempt to get him to understand, but damnit they're gonna try.

I doubt he cares. He's probably busy making tee times for the weekend.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/9/2017, 9:55 am

I don't think the president needs to necessarily make a time at a golf club he owns nigel
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 6/9/2017, 9:56 am

May called an early or snap election 6 weeks ago when polls showed the Tories would expand their majority and make passing measures for their Bexit strategy easier.

A lot of stuff happened in the six weeks between. May didn't do much campaigning until polling showed her government could lose rather than expand its majority.

Labor gained 34 seats. Besides May's party losing seats, the Scottish Independence Party lost seats to Labor.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 6/9/2017, 10:55 am

May now has the stink of Trump on her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/9/2017, 11:03 am

tGreenWay wrote:May now has the stink of Trump on her.

That's a stink that doesn't come off either. Gross.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/9/2017, 11:06 am

We're talking about pee right?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 6/9/2017, 11:08 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That's a stink that doesn't come off either. Gross.

That's why Melania doesn't like to go out in public. There's not enough Chanel No. 5 in the world to get his stink off her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 6/9/2017, 11:09 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:We're talking about pee right?

What the hell is going on in the UK? 3434560931 Yes. No. Whatever. Just keep posting.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/9/2017, 11:12 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:We're talking about pee right?

What the hell is going on in the UK? 3434560931 Yes. No. Whatever. Just keep posting.

Okay.

What the hell is going on in the UK? 083bvRl
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 6/9/2017, 11:14 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Okay.

Phew. Thanks.
Anybody got a cig I can bum?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/9/2017, 11:23 am

tGreenWay wrote:

Okay.

This is amazing. What the hell is going on in the UK? 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 6/9/2017, 11:30 am

She's kind of the female Trump, at least according to her opposition. Conservative, fascist, fear-mongering, out of touch, hates poor people, hates immigrants, etc.

While you'd think that the recent terror attacks there would help someone who is pro-Brexit, spreading fear, etc., it actually came back to bite her hard in the ass. She was Home Secretary under Cameron, and cut police forces by 20,000. In the wake of the attacks, she's been slammed on this matter.

This has also been a good lesson in the fucked up Parliamentary system. Set aside Trump and think in general terms, and imagine if our President was not only decided by Congress, but if the Congressional leader of the majority party is the one who automatically became President. It leads to some fucked up voting. It's all about voting for certain parties rather than individuals. Vote Labour, Vote Conservative, shit like that. So in this particular election, with the PM at stake, they vote for their local MP (Minister of Parliament, akin to US House of Representatives), based on whether they wanted May, Corbyn, or someone else as PM.

Don't let her staying as PM fool you. This election was a HUGE blow to May. She was arrogant and thought she could increase her party's seats, and she lost a ton. Now they have a hung parliament (no party has 50% of the seats). Regardless of a coalition with another party, she has anything but a mandate, and she should have more trouble getting anything done than before. Her arrogance fucked the Conservative party over by calling for an election 3 years early, and you'd think they should call on her to step down.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 6/9/2017, 11:37 am

BTW, this should be some hope for most of you. Between May's election and the Brexit vote, the anti-immigration, fear mongering, isolationist sentiments had won over there, and it was not unlike Trump winning here. This showed a big backlash to those ideas of hers. There are seats that had been held by Conservatives for decades that were to lost the Labour Party. One seat (Canterbury, I think), has a Labour representative for the first time in 99 years!

I believe I saw that over 70% of 18-24 year olds voted, after only 40-some percent voted in the last election there (I think it was in the 40s here, too). May's Labour opponent was kind of their version of Bernie Sanders.

The Dems should be taking notes for 2018.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/9/2017, 11:55 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't think the president needs to necessarily make a time at a golf club he owns nigel

All golf courses have tee times. That's how it works.

Given the logistics and security associated with Trump golfing, I would think a tee time would be made.

Plus, one of his courses might be busy holding a "charity" tournament which funnels money into his business.

So, you're wrong.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 6/9/2017, 11:58 am

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't think the president needs to necessarily make a time at a golf club he owns nigel

All golf courses have tee times. That's how it works.

Given the logistics and security associated with Trump golfing, I would think a tee time would be made.

Plus, one of his courses might be busy holding a "charity" tournament which funnels money into his business.

So, you're wrong.

He may have a tee time, but I doubt he busies himself with setting it up. I'm sure he just yells at someone what time he wants to go and then they do it for him. Toddlers don't make reservations, and he's basically a toddler.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/9/2017, 11:59 am

Okay fine, he probably has a specific time. But, I don't think he makes them. When you're so busy watching cable news you probably have someone to schedule that for you as to not interrupt.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/9/2017, 12:49 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Okay.

maybe the greatest thing on the internet.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/9/2017, 1:38 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:The Dems should be taking notes for 2018.

They don't need to. They know how to come very close and still lose.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/9/2017, 1:43 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:The Dems should be taking notes for 2018.

They don't need to. They know how to come very close and still lose.

Why does your president lie all of the time?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 6/9/2017, 1:45 pm

What was Lord Helmet's plan for the country and did he get more votes than Elmo?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 6/9/2017, 5:08 pm

May is negotiating with 10 members of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) to join her coalition government.

The DUP is a very right wing party based in Northern Ireland made up of Northern Ireland Protestants who won't join Labor because Labor signed on to peace agreement with the IRA allowing former members to hold political office. They oppose gay marriage, are anti-LGBT rights and very pro-life.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down