Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security

5 posters

Go down

GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security Empty GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 13:07

It is absolutely true that the Pentagon has long believed in the impacts of climate change.

This week, though, the Pentagon may have gotten a boost — from the unlikeliest of places. The Republican-controlled House retained an amendment to the 2018 defense funding bill affirming that “climate change is a direct threat to the national security of the United States.” It orders defense officials to draw up a report laying out which facilities would be most affected.

“This is a reflection that some Republicans at least are waking up to this reality and voting to affirm the work that DoD is doing,” said Andrew Holland, director of studies and senior fellow for energy and climate at the nonpartisan policy organization American Security Project.

Defense authorizations have included similar language before: In 2008, then-senators John Warner (D-Va.) and Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) included a similar amendment. But that was a Democratic-controlled Congress; this time, some 45 Republicans voted for the climate-change language, and lawmakers from both sides shot down an attempt to strike the focus on climate change.

“I think it’s maybe the beginning of a turning point in Congress,” Holland said.“I think it’s maybe the beginning of a turning point in Congress,” Holland said.

For more than a decade, the Pentagon has been clear-eyed about the risks posed by climate change. Rising sea levels threaten coastal installations, while floods, famines, and droughts promise waves of instability and conflict across big chunks of the planet. Even in the climate-change denying Trump administration, Defense Secretary James Mattis has reiterated what is by now the Pentagon’s standard line.

‘‘I agree that the effects of a changing climate — such as increased maritime access to the Arctic, rising sea levels, desertification, among others — impact our security situation,’’ Mattis expressed in testimony prior to his confirmation.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/14/in-landmark-move-gop-congress-calls-climate-change-direct-threat-to-security/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security Empty Re: GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security

Post by DWags Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 13:11

Turtleneck wrote:It is absolutely true that the Pentagon has long believed in the impacts of climate change.

This week, though, the Pentagon may have gotten a boost — from the unlikeliest of places. The Republican-controlled House retained an amendment to the 2018 defense funding bill affirming that “climate change is a direct threat to the national security of the United States.” It orders defense officials to draw up a report laying out which facilities would be most affected.

“This is a reflection that some Republicans at least are waking up to this reality and voting to affirm the work that DoD is doing,” said Andrew Holland, director of studies and senior fellow for energy and climate at the nonpartisan policy organization American Security Project.

Defense authorizations have included similar language before: In 2008, then-senators John Warner (D-Va.) and Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) included a similar amendment. But that was a Democratic-controlled Congress; this time, some 45 Republicans voted for the climate-change language, and lawmakers from both sides shot down an attempt to strike the focus on climate change.

“I think it’s maybe the beginning of a turning point in Congress,” Holland said.“I think it’s maybe the beginning of a turning point in Congress,” Holland said.

For more than a decade, the Pentagon has been clear-eyed about the risks posed by climate change. Rising sea levels threaten coastal installations, while floods, famines, and droughts promise waves of instability and conflict across big chunks of the planet. Even in the climate-change denying Trump administration, Defense Secretary James Mattis has reiterated what is by now the Pentagon’s standard line.

‘‘I agree that the effects of a changing climate — such as increased maritime access to the Arctic, rising sea levels, desertification, among others — impact our security situation,’’ Mattis expressed in testimony prior to his confirmation.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/14/in-landmark-move-gop-congress-calls-climate-change-direct-threat-to-security/

Jesus. Goose's head might explode.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security Empty Re: GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 13:17

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:It is absolutely true that the Pentagon has long believed in the impacts of climate change.

The DOD has stated, on multiple occasions, that the consequences of climate change must be treated as a matter of national security.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 13:18

DWags wrote:

They're all wrong. Only he is right. Same with Russia messing with our elections; all those national security experts are wrong and Goose is right.
We should really get 24 hour protection on Goose, because he's so freaking smart and tSwill needs to protect its investment.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 13:21

Goose will get back to y'all when he can peel himself away from the mainstream media long enough to log in.

until then, my thoughts and prayers, as always, remain with each of you.

as long as you're white.

and don't need insurance.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:01

DWags wrote:

Not at all, I'm just not one that believes giving politicians trillions of dollars will change the weather for the better. Obviously you people do, sorry I can't join you.

It is amusing that you loathe them at all times except when they might agree with you. I love to see that after I get lectured for consistency.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:09

Science schmience.

Climate change is a myth
(Unless the POTUS who says he'll help overturn Roe v Wade cites it on why he needs a sea wall for one of his foreign golf courses.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:10

LooseGoose wrote:

Not at all, I'm just not one that believes giving politicians trillions of dollars will change the weather for the better.

It does not sound like the DOD wants to change the weather, but it does sound like they want to be prepared for the consequences.

LooseGoose wrote:It is amusing that you loathe them at all times except when they might agree with you. I love to see that after I get lectured for consistency.

Who do I loathe?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:20

GRR Spartan wrote:Science schmience.

Climate change is a myth
(Unless the POTUS who says he'll help overturn Roe v Wade cites it on why he needs a sea wall for one of his foreign golf courses.

Again with the lies.

I've never said it was a myth. I've said people are out of their minds that think Congress can control climate.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:21

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Not at all, I'm just not one that believes giving politicians trillions of dollars will change the weather for the better.

It does not sound like the DOD wants to change the weather, but it does sound like they want to be prepared for the consequences.

That's a hell of an idea since the climate is always changing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:28

LooseGoose wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Science schmience.

Climate change is a myth

Again with the lies.

I've never said it was a myth. I've said people are out of their minds that think Congress can control climate.

It's not about controlling climate; weather doesn't react the same way a Ford Crown Vic does. It's about reducing emissions and, hopefully, slowing the earth's rising temp. Human activity hurried things up; it's on us to try to slow things down again. It's probably too late, but for the sake of your grandkids -- and their kids -- it's worth trying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:32

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/612710/

DoD Releases Report on Security Implications of Climate Change
DoD News, Defense Media Activity

WASHINGTON, July 29, 2015 — Global climate change will aggravate problems such as poverty, social tensions, environmental degradation, ineffectual leadership and weak political institutions that threaten stability in a number of countries, according to a report the Defense Department sent to Congress yesterday.

The Senate Appropriations Committee requested the report in conjunction with the Defense Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2015, asking that the undersecretary of defense for policy provide a report that identifies the most serious and likely climate-related security risks for each combatant command and the ways those commands integrate risk mitigation into their planning processes.

Fragile States Vulnerable to Disruption

The report finds that climate change is a security risk, Pentagon officials said, because it degrades living conditions, human security and the ability of governments to meet the basic needs of their populations. Communities and states that already are fragile and have limited resources are significantly more vulnerable to disruption and far less likely to respond effectively and be resilient to new challenges, they added.

“The Department of Defense's primary responsibility is to protect national security interests around the world,” officials said in a news release announcing the report’s submission. “This involves considering all aspects of the global security environment and planning appropriately for potential contingencies and the possibility of unexpected developments both in the near and the longer terms.

“It is in this context,” they continued, “that the department must consider the effects of climate change -- such as sea level rise, shifting climate zones and more frequent and intense severe weather events -- and how these effects could impact national security.”

Integrating Climate-Related Impacts Into Planning

To reduce the national security implications of climate change, combatant commands are integrating climate-related impacts into their planning cycles, officials said. The ability of the United States and other countries to cope with the risks and implications of climate change requires monitoring, analysis and integration of those risks into existing overall risk management measures, as appropriate for each combatant command, they added.

The report concludes the Defense Department already is observing the impacts of climate change in shocks and stressors to vulnerable nations and communities, including in the United States, the Arctic, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America, officials said.

The report is available at the link above.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 15:45

The White House doubts climate change. Here's why the Pentagon does not

WASHINGTON — The contentious debate over climate change is entering a new phase, with skeptics in the Trump administration poised to roll back regulations governing everything from clean-water standards to fracking — convinced that doing so will boost the U.S. economy. But the Pentagon views the issue differently.

For Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, climate change represents a significant national security threat, one that's "impacting stability in areas of the world where our troops are operating today," according his written testimony to Congress provided in January ahead of his confirmation. The news site ProPublica was first to publish Mattis' remarks, pitting the retired Marine general's views against those held by the commander in chief and others in his administration.

It's a tricky predicament for the Pentagon, which has conducted substantial climate-related research, too, dating back at least to the 1990s. Officials continue to factor this data into core military doctrine. In fact, the most recent Quadrennial Defense Review, a 90-page document that outlines the Defense Department's strategic trajectory, includes the phrases "climate change" or "severe weather" at least 10 times. On the one hand, the Defense Department stands to benefit from funding rollbacks at other agencies. But on the other, senior officials see immediate, practical reasons to be worried.  

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/donald-trump-climate-change-epa-james-mattis
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 16:17

Paper tiger. The military just wants more money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 16:43

If I'm alive I'll be laughing so fucking hard as they begin to post the ice age articles in 4-6 years. The hard core hold outs will blame it on global warming.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Jul 2017 - 16:44

LooseGoose wrote:If I'm alive I'll be laughing so fucking hard as they begin to post the ice age articles in 4-6 years. The hard core hold outs will blame it on global warming.

Hard enough to make the raw milk come out of your nostrils?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 12:29

Bump for the three "once in 100 years" storms since 2005's Katrina.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down