Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cavs had a nice little run

+6
tGreenWay
The Pantry
Herbie Green
Death Roe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Cavs had a nice little run Empty The Cavs had a nice little run

Post by Turtleneck Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:26

Cleveland Cavaliers star point guard Kyrie Irving requests trade
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/07/21/kyrie-irving-requests-trade-cleveland-cavaliers/500603001/

GS did not have to make moves except signing what they already had. Other contenders made moves to get better. Cleveland does nothing notable, and now a huge component of their success wants out. This is LeBron's last year in Cleveland, and it will be Gilbert's fault.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cavs had a nice little run Empty Re: The Cavs had a nice little run

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:35

He wanna play with Avery Bradley & Drummond and take the East or what?

Also: this fucker is FUN to watch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:He wanna play with Avery Bradley & Drummond and take the East or what?

The Cavs had a nice little run 1837840279
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:37

"James is focused on training for next season and winning with whomever is on the roster, a person with direct knowledge of James’ plans told USA TODAY Sports."

What kind of schmuck wrote this piece of shit? The Cavs had a nice little run 502811600 Come on!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:He wanna play with Avery Bradley & Drummond and take the East or what?

The rumor is Cleveland is forcing him out and will trade him to Detroit because they are desperate to get Luke Kennard.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 16:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"James is focused on training for next season and winning with whomever is on the roster, a person with direct knowledge of James’ plans told USA TODAY Sports."

What kind of schmuck wrote this piece of shit? The Cavs had a nice little run 502811600 Come on!

As much as this all lands on Gilbert, the whole thing with James not being a part of the decision-making process is bullshit. He has had two coaches fired, so it is hard to imagine he has no pull or say when it comes to roster moves/lack of roster moves.

And if he is not trying to have pull or say, he needs to grow a pair and get his head in the off-the-court game.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 18:57

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"James is focused on training for next season and winning with whomever is on the roster, a person with direct knowledge of James’ plans told USA TODAY Sports."

As much as this all lands on Gilbert, the whole thing with James not being a part of the decision-making process is bullshit. He has had two coaches fired, so it is hard to imagine he has no pull or say when it comes to roster moves/lack of roster moves.

And if he is not trying to have pull or say, he needs to grow a pair and get his head in the off-the-court game.

I agree.  James has been way too involved in off the court stuff.  Or if he hasnt he is a pussy
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 19:20

This is a crazy story though.  One of the best if not the best pg in the NBA doesnt want to play with perhaps the best player in NBA history - where they already won a championship together?  And you want James to kiss his ass?
F that.  I hope Kyrie gets his wish and gets traded to the Nets and can average 35 points next season.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 19:36

I could picture this happening.

Drummond and Jackson for Irving?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 19:46

The Pantry wrote:I could picture this happening.

In what universe? This one?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 19:47

Cleveland is already pissed at Gilbert. A good downtown Pistons team benefits both Detroit and Gilbert.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 20:01

Herbie Green wrote:This is a crazy story though.  One of the best if not the best pg in the NBA doesnt want to play with perhaps the best player in NBA history - where they already won a championship together?  And you want James to kiss his ass?
F that.  I hope Kyrie gets his wish and gets traded to the Nets and can average 35 points next season.

There has to be more to the story, no?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 20:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:This is a crazy story though.  One of the best if not the best pg in the NBA doesnt want to play with perhaps the best player in NBA history - where they already won a championship together?  And you want James to kiss his ass?

Probably. Lebron has seemed like a pompous asshole since he was drafted out of HS.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 20:12

The Pantry wrote:

Probably. Lebron has seemed like a pompous asshole since he was drafted out of HS.

I don't know, he may be a cocky douche in the locker room but from my perspective the guy handles himself alright. Hasn't gotten in trouble off or on the court. Think kyrie could handle draymond?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 20:21

The Pantry wrote:Probably. Lebron has seemed like a pompous asshole since he was drafted out of HS.

I don't know, he may be a cocky douche in the locker room but from my perspective the guy handles himself alright. Hasn't gotten in trouble off or on the court. Think kyrie could handle draymond?
Lebron can barely handle Draymond.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 21:41

btw...welcome back OTPT!

Go help Wakefield move. Moving sucks the worst.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 21 Jul 2017 - 23:45

I don't follow much of the NBA, so this is just a guess here. I'd think teams would subscribe to the same philosophy as they do in baseball and football, which is to avoid making trades with teams in your own division.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 0:07

tGreenWay wrote:

I don't follow much of the NBA, so this is just a guess here. I'd think teams would subscribe to the same philosophy as they do in baseball and football, which is to avoid making trades with teams in your own division.
Gilbert doesn't care about the Cavs or the NBA after the 2016 Championship. He owns a shitload of Detroit

Billionaire Dan Gilbert's mission to rebuild Detroit as a hub of 'muscles and brains'
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 1:10

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Gilbert doesn't care about the Cavs or the NBA after the 2016 Championship. He owns a shitload of Detroit

Billionaire Dan Gilbert's mission to rebuild Detroit as a hub of 'muscles and brains'

He's an ass, but I hope he succeeds. Like a few people here, I'd love nothing more than to see the D rise again.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 3:13

Turtleneck wrote:

The rumor is Cleveland is forcing him out and will trade him to Detroit because they are desperate to get Luke Kennard.

I hated the pick at the time, but who else should they have picked? I wanted Monk from Kentucky but the Pistons got fisted with him dropping just to be snagged right before them. If he can hit some 3s and play a little defense OK, but as with all white guys on a basketball court not in a pick up game - I ain't hopeful.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 8:19

I am sure there is a whole soap opera, probably not much different from a 6th grade team where Johnny is not getting enough shots.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 10:18

https://theringer.com/nba-kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-trade-demand-lebron-bad4fb04e18a

Some speculation that Kyrie wants his own team where he is the unquestioned first option. The Ringer article points out that Kyrie didn't choose to play with LeBron in the first place, and he's already got his ring out of the deal. If he can see the writing on the wall that he's not beating GS again even with LeBron, why not play without LeBron and try to average 40ppg?

From Cleveland's perspective, it creates an interesting predicament. If I were running that team and I thought LeBron was leaving anyway, I'd think about approaching Kyrie and asking if what he really wants is to be the #1 option, or if he just wants out of Cleveland. Because if he just doesn't want to play in LeBron's shadow anymore, and LeBron is gone in a year anyway, maybe it becomes prudent to trade LeBron for a king's ransom (pun intended). I think LeBron has a no trade clause, so he'd have to be on board with it, but that could be his way to leave Cleveland a second time and not have the whole city hate him again, if he agrees to be traded for the assets that allow Cleveland to rebuild as Kyrie's team rather than leaving in free agency and Cleveland getting nothing for him. It could be his last gift to the city, or at least that's how I'd try to sell him on it if I were the Cavs GM.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 10:26

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Gilbert doesn't care about the Cavs or the NBA after the 2016 Championship. He owns a shitload of Detroit

He's an ass, but I hope he succeeds. Like a few people here, I'd love nothing more than to see the D south rise again.

Fixed so that it reflects your true feelings.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 10:37

I saw someone in a comments section somewhere say that if they were Boston, they'd offer IT, Crowder, and Smart for Irving. That intrigues me. The basic structure of that trade seems like it makes sense for both sides. IT + other assets gives Cleveland an almost-as-good Kyrie replacement, plus it adds depth that isn't on the brink of retirement. Boston upgrades their PG to a better player who fits their timeline a little better. Plus Ainge saves face after whiffing on both Butler and George.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 10:40

The rumor is he prefers being traded to San Antonio, Minnesota, Miami or New York.

At San Antonio he would have to take a back seat to Forbes, so does he really want his own team if he truly prefers the Spurs? Seriously though, would San Antonio give up Leonard for Irving? If Irving still got to San Antonio without the Spurs having to give up Leonard, is it not already Leonard's team? I could see the Knicks moving Anthony for Irving, but if that does not happen and he still lands in New York with the Knicks keeping Anthony, it's the same question.

I would love to see him land in the West. The West is crazy good right now, and the East...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 11:47

And the t-wolves have butler. I know the heat have some pieces and ended the year strong last year, but who do they really have? Whiteside? Cavs just going to take picks for kyrie? Too bad the stones got nothing to offer outside of jacksons and Drummonds contracts no one wants.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 11:49

Cameron wrote:

https://theringer.com/nba-kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-trade-demand-lebron-bad4fb04e18a

Some speculation that Kyrie wants his own team where he is the unquestioned first option. The Ringer article points out that Kyrie didn't choose to play with LeBron in the first place, and he's already got his ring out of the deal. If he can see the writing on the wall that he's not beating GS again even with LeBron, why not play without LeBron and try to average 40ppg?

From Cleveland's perspective, it creates an interesting predicament. If I were running that team and I thought LeBron was leaving anyway, I'd think about approaching Kyrie and asking if what he really wants is to be the #1 option, or if he just wants out of Cleveland. Because if he just doesn't want to play in LeBron's shadow anymore, and LeBron is gone in a year anyway, maybe it becomes prudent to trade LeBron for a king's ransom (pun intended). I think LeBron has a no trade clause, so he'd have to be on board with it, but that could be his way to leave Cleveland a second time and not have the whole city hate him again, if he agrees to be traded for the assets that allow Cleveland to rebuild as Kyrie's team rather than leaving in free agency and Cleveland getting nothing for him. It could be his last gift to the city, or at least that's how I'd try to sell him on it if I were the Cavs GM.

Another Ringer article...

Kyrie Irving and LeBron Could Be the Next Star Couple to Break Up

Imagine you’re at a house party having the time of your life, but as night turns to dawn, you realize you don’t want to be the last one there. Nothing good will come from hanging around. You’ll be the one stuck with cleaning up someone else’s mess, dealing with problems that have nothing to do with you. Maybe it’s selfish, but you have your own priorities and won’t let anything else get in the way. So, you leave.

This is how Kyrie Irving feels about his situation in Cleveland, according to league sources with knowledge of his mindset. According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, Irving has asked to be traded. This leaves the Cavs with a murky future. Per sources, Irving isn’t fond of the idea of playing out the final year of his contract on a wrecked team, which Cleveland would be if LeBron were to leave in 2018. The Cavs would likely hold on tight to Irving, rather than blowing it up, meaning he wouldn’t hit free agency until 2019. And even if LeBron does choose to stay in Cleveland, Irving would apparently prefer to escape his shadow, per multiple league sources.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 12:02

turtleneck is there really a way kyrie goes to NY without melo being moved bro? My $ is on the Heat or New York
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 12:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:turtleneck is there really a way kyrie goes to NY without melo being moved bro? My $ is on the Heat or New York

Probably not, but he might be on his way to Houston anyway.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 13:30

I bet he gets traded for Melo
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 22:14

Herbie Green wrote:I bet he gets traded for Melo

If they trade him, they have no real reason to honor his preferred destinations. He has very little real leverage as far as I can tell. There are lots of teams out there that would happily beat any package the Knicks could put together. Unless LeBron makes it clear that he wants to trade for Melo, Cleveland would be better off looking elsewhere.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 9:34

Cameron wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:I bet he gets traded for Melo

If they trade him, they have no real reason to honor his preferred destinations. He has very little real leverage as far as I can tell. There are lots of teams out there that would happily beat any package the Knicks could put together. Unless LeBron makes it clear that he wants to trade for Melo, Cleveland would be better off looking elsewhere.

I dont follow all the behind the scenes stuff, it just seems like Cavs are not going to get return value so the closest they could get is by trading for another disgruntled superstar.  If they could also get a draft pick or two it would be ideal.
And it would be an interesting dynamic.  Could Lebron get everything out of Melo and get him to change his game for the sake of winning?  Contrary to what some naive posters here have indicated Lebron is the ultimate team player on the basketball court.  And Melo showed what he can do playing along other stars in the olympics.  
And then you get to sell hope to a fan base.  The Cavs will win enough games to still be seen as a top contender.  
And then the following year Lebron will leave and the Cavs will be one of the worst teams in the NBA.  But it might all be worth it for one more shot, or at least the illusion of one.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 15:17

Pretty damn good. And funny.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 15:32

Reports are Lebron is done at Cle and this is his last season there. Upset with management and ready to move on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 15:37

I just want the pistons to be competitive again :(
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 15:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Pretty damn good. And funny.

The Cavs had a nice little run 1966794946
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 15:59

steveschneider wrote:Reports are Lebron is done at Cle and this is his last season there. Upset with management and ready to move on.

Gilbert is a fucking moron.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 17:05

steveschneider wrote:Reports are Lebron is done at Cle and this is his last season there. Upset with management and ready to move on.

"Upset at management" seems like a cop-out by Bron. They've had the highest payroll in the NBA, they've gone into luxury tax territory, they traded Wiggins for Love at LeBron's behest. I think it's funny that LeBron is "upset with management" but Irving is upset with LeBron.
This seems like his way of endearing himself to the citizens of Ohio while giving him an easy exit to LA.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 17:08

What I heard was irreconcilable differences with Gilbert. He fucking hates him and doesn't want to play for him.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 17:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Pretty damn good. And funny.

Solid.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next