Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread?

+7
Stoops21
Jethro Bodeen
WCS
SawGreen
DWags
xsanguine
tGreenWay
11 posters

Go down

Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread? Empty Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread?

Post by tGreenWay 11/06/14, 05:26 pm

Unless there's something new being offered, I already know the arguments. My eyes are already tired and itchy, so is it worth plowing through nearly 400 posts to catch up, or just let it go like usual?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread? Empty Re: Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread?

Post by xsanguine 11/06/14, 05:27 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Unless there's something new being offered, I already know the arguments. My eyes are already tired and itchy, so is it worth plowing through nearly 400 posts to catch up, or just let it go like usual?

It's the same.

Statists gonna statist
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread? Empty Re: Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread?

Post by DWags 11/06/14, 05:30 pm

Evidently assholes shot someone.

Just read next weeks incident when it happens.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 11/06/14, 05:31 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Unless there's something new being offered, I already know the arguments. My eyes are already tired and itchy, so is it worth plowing through nearly 400 posts to catch up, or just let it go like usual?

Oh, I'm sure several people have changed their stance on the issue thanks to that thread.   Suspect
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 11/06/14, 05:43 pm

nah...same old same old...When science meets the anti-science folks, science wins out logically and the anti-science folks lash out emotionally. The same formula is going on in that thread....anti-science people pushing their dogma against the gun...pro-science people addressing the route cause (the condition of mental healthcare) and having a discussion about that.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 11/06/14, 05:54 pm

SawGreen wrote:

Oh, I'm sure several people have changed their stance on the issue thanks to that thread.   Suspect

Is it worth reading that 74 shootings thread? 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 11/06/14, 06:02 pm

SawGreen wrote:

I've changed my views based on the discussions I've had in real life and also on message boards. It depends on what you're looking to get out of these types of things... I think most people want the entertainment of arguing with others... but there are some that want to learn about a subject and hear the opinions of others and ask questions based on their initial views. Sometimes you confirm your own views, sometimes others present a viewpoint you haven't considered that can affect your view in a number of ways.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 11/06/14, 06:08 pm

There have been shootings at schools since there were guns and schools. As schools have become larger and more impersonal, there has been an increase in school violence. That's why most urban school districts have had metal detectors for years- as far back as the 1970's and early 80s.

But there have been Bombings too- see Bath Michigan School Bombing in 1927 that killed 43- almost all of them elementary children

The guy who bombed the school was a complete nut terrorist who intended to blow up the entire school which would have killed up to 250 people. He also drove up to the chaotic scene immediately after the bombing in his car that was loaded with shrapnel and dynamite - detonated it and killed several more people, including the Superintendent.

Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 11/06/14, 06:09 pm

It escalated so fast it's insane. Turned into a monkey shit fight after 1 page
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 11/06/14, 06:11 pm

xsanguine wrote:

I've changed my views based on the discussions I've had in real life and also on message boards. It depends on what you're looking to get out of these types of things... I think most people want the entertainment of arguing with others... but there are some that want to learn about a subject and hear the opinions of others and ask questions based on their initial views. Sometimes you confirm your own views, sometimes others present a viewpoint you haven't considered that can affect your view in a number of ways.

Agreed.  I wish there was an "original thought" flag that could be placed in these threads just to get the highlights.  I'm ancient, and once in awhile, I do here some quality takes.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 11/06/14, 06:25 pm

SawGreen wrote:

Agreed.  I wish there was an "original thought" flag that could be placed in these threads just to get the highlights.  I'm ancient, and once in awhile, I do here some quality takes.

For whatever reason... the Swill and Wells (but moreso Wells) have had some of the worst dyanmics in regards to discussions. It's amazing the disparity between some of the boards. You'd think on a board where most, I assume, have at least a bachelor's degree, would be more apt to learning than some of the other boards I've visited.... maybe it has something to do with being, primarily, an athletic board.

Positive and assertive moderation could change the fabric into a place for positive political/religious discussions but for whatever reason it's not viewed with much importance. And that's completely their right, not mine.

The forum where I've seen the best discussions is, believe it or not, Joe Rogan's forum. It's also had, what I consider, to be the most intelligent discussions. The intelligence spectrum is much wider (on both ends), but generally those lower on that totem pole stay out of the more complex topics.

But their moderators are also quick to ban or suspend you for acting like a moron... and not just the kinds of stuff that Tanfan would get banned for on tRCMB... but moreso someone like Rogue Leader or Madhatter. Those dudes would get pinked within 24 hours. I hate to say it, but on tRCMB and to some extent this one, that kind of behavior is almost championed. Not complaining, just observing... it's a different dynamic and must be treated accordingly.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 11/06/14, 06:44 pm

I changed my opinion that a two minute horse race shouldn't result in a less rested horse weeks later ...?

Oh shit. Wrong thread. /tlwr
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/06/14, 06:48 pm

Look what you have done Greenway. You just started the thread all over again.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DITKA 11/06/14, 07:25 pm

I typically read them to get a handle on who the morans and sheer lunatics are up in this place. (including the dunce that started the thread)  cyclops 

DITKA
DITKA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 11/06/14, 08:51 pm

SawGreen wrote:

Most definitely
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 11/06/14, 08:53 pm

xsanguine wrote:

For whatever reason... the Swill and Wells (but moreso Wells) have had some of the worst dyanmics in regards to discussions. It's amazing the disparity between some of the boards. You'd think on a board where most, I assume, have at least a bachelor's degree, would be more apt to learning than some of the other boards I've visited.... maybe it has something to do with being, primarily, an athletic board.

Positive and assertive moderation could change the fabric into a place for positive political/religious discussions but for whatever reason it's not viewed with much importance. And that's completely their right, not mine.

The forum where I've seen the best discussions is, believe it or not, Joe Rogan's forum. It's also had, what I consider, to be the most intelligent discussions. The intelligence spectrum is much wider (on both ends), but generally those lower on that totem pole stay out of the more complex topics.

But their moderators are also quick to ban or suspend you for acting like a moron... and not just the kinds of stuff that Tanfan would get banned for on tRCMB... but moreso someone like Rogue Leader or Madhatter. Those dudes would get pinked within 24 hours. I hate to say it, but on tRCMB and to some extent this one, that kind of behavior is almost championed. Not complaining, just observing... it's a different dynamic and must be treated accordingly.

You is smart
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down