Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#ScrapTheProgram

+15
CORNER BLITZ
steveschneider
Nordic
Death Roe
Travis of the Cosmos
Tim Wakefield
Floyd Robertson
MSUgöat
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
kingstonlake
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
Dr. Strangelove
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

#ScrapTheProgram - Page 2 Empty Re: #ScrapTheProgram

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-13, 19:58

You guys should listen to Cameron. He's a smart guy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-13, 20:04

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You guys should listen to Cameron. He's a smart guy.

I love Cameron when he's not picking on me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-13, 20:54

Who guards that freshman from Oklahoma if we play them? That could be a nightmare for us.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-13, 20:59

Tum Tum. Probably play a lot of 2 point guard lineups.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-13, 21:08

Oklahoma is not going to be in the nit
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-13, 21:12

There are issues, but they are not season ending issues and if you don't have faith that Izzo will get them worked out, I don't know what to tell you. The issues that I am aware of and that I see. Not necessarily in order.

1. PG play. Izzo put a lot of blame on Winston's ball screen defense and that may be a part of it to a more trained eye than mine. I just thought he was poor on both ends today. He was getting taken off of the dribble. He was not engaged on offense. He did not run the offense or act like he wanted the ball in his hands.

2. Turnovers. Historically we know this one probably has a low ceiling in terms of being fixed.

3. Ward needs to learn to pass out of the double. Teams have their blueprint now for how to defend Ward. Can he learn how to anticipate the DT, make the right pass and make them pay? I'm going to guess they will work on this a lot this week.

4. I'm a bit worried that in Izzo's push to prepare Miles for the NBA and make sure his best player has a chance to make plays down the stretch that it is causing some stagnation on offense. Give the ball to Miles and everyone stand around and watch. Not to mention that isolation on the wing isn't Miles' game. I think that is becoming clear. He is pretty good when he gets the ball in the paint, whether he dribbles it there himself or not. He's an ok shooter. He's great in transition. He doesn't have the handles to isolate and be Lebron James. Which is fine. He doesn't need to be.

This team will be fine. Adversity is not a bad thing. It is better to find this shit out in early January than in late Feb.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-13, 21:18

Sunshine optimist
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-13, 22:14

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You guys should listen to Cameron. He's a smart guy.

I actually agree with a good chunk of his message. Stay true to your school. I’m still on the believe train and I have faith our team and coaches will straighten this shit out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-13, 22:46

More musings.

I was thinking about this....I think all of us are disappointed with Bridges to some extent. We built him up in our heads to be the next coming of Magic - a superstar who would do everything this year. That's just not who he is, that's not what his game is, and it's not what his game is at the next level. As long as we keep looking at him that way we're going to continue to be disappointed.

I've seen posts on rivals saying they feel bad for him and he is playing himself out of the first round blah blah. Bullshit. He's still a top 10ish pick, and his game will translate to the next level. But as I said above, he's not Lebron and I don't know why we all thought that he was going to be Lebron just because he was going to be a sophomore.

You want to know who Bridges is? He's Josh Jackson. He's a terrific player. Our best player, most well rounded. Can do a little of everything. Jackson was probably considered KU's best player last year, but he also was not their go to guy - that was their PG. He's not a guy you give the ball to and say everyone get out of the way. He plays within the offense, gets his looks within the flow of the offense and in transition. Plays good D, gets rebounds, very good passer, NBA athleticism, shoots it ok with some range.

I've watched Jackson in the NBA some and he's going to be a good player. Not a great, transcendent one. Probably a 7-10 year starter. That's what I think Bridges is. Bridges has a bit of a bigger frame and is probably a better athlete than Jackson but I think it's a pretty good comparison.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-jackson-2.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/miles-bridges-1.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-01-13, 23:20

gHost Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I actually agree with a good chunk of his message. Stay true to your school. I’m still on the believe train and I have faith our team and coaches will straighten this shit out.
Role reversal - we got the starz and croots but can't do shit with them but Belein motivates his kids to play their toughest ball against us. Gotta give that mofo credit.

Jim B comparable to dantonio in that way
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-14, 02:56

I'm putting OTPT down for replacing Izzo with B___.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2018-01-14, 04:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There are issues, but they are not season ending issues and if you don't have faith that Izzo will get them worked out, I don't know what to tell you. The issues that I am aware of and that I see. Not necessarily in order.

1. PG play. Izzo put a lot of blame on Winston's ball screen defense and that may be a part of it to a more trained eye than mine. I just thought he was poor on both ends today. He was getting taken off of the dribble. He was not engaged on offense. He did not run the offense or act like he wanted the ball in his hands.

2. Turnovers. Historically we know this one probably has a low ceiling in terms of being fixed.

3. Ward needs to learn to pass out of the double. Teams have their blueprint now for how to defend Ward. Can he learn how to anticipate the DT, make the right pass and make them pay? I'm going to guess they will work on this a lot this week.

4. I'm a bit worried that in Izzo's push to prepare Miles for the NBA and make sure his best player has a chance to make plays down the stretch that it is causing some stagnation on offense. Give the ball to Miles and everyone stand around and watch. Not to mention that isolation on the wing isn't Miles' game. I think that is becoming clear. He is pretty good when he gets the ball in the paint, whether he dribbles it there himself or not. He's an ok shooter. He's great in transition. He doesn't have the handles to isolate and be Lebron James. Which is fine. He doesn't need to be.

This team will be fine. Adversity is not a bad thing. It is better to find this shit out in early January than in late Feb.

#1 is the most important point. We don't have a PG that can break down a D and create a shot, especially when the clock shot is running down. In fact, we don't have "that guy" who can create on his own. I agree with Bridges not being that 1-1 player. He might be the best we have, but that's not his game.

Tum-tum has the ability to get space 1-1, but has no jump shot and is looking to pass to often even with the shot clock under 5. He's still thinking pass.

We had a lot of points in the paint. We have more pure athletes in the front court, but we struggle and get stagnant the longer the shot clock goes on.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-01-14, 06:28

I'm still disgusted.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-01-14, 06:31

Langford = not athletic
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-14, 06:48

Bummed but not beaten. Sucks losing to UofM. Pray we get another shot in the bt tournament
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-14, 07:16

gHost Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Role reversal - we got the starz and croots but can't do shit with them but Belein motivates his kids to play their toughest ball against us. Gotta give that mofo credit.

B____ is a really good coach. No question about it.

I still think our offense is awful and have felt that way for a while. Even watching Rutgers they had a pleasing offense to watch. Why does Izzos offense always look so challenged? Been this way for a while.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-01-14, 10:17

steveschneider wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote: Role reversal - we got the starz and croots but can't do shit with them but Belein motivates his kids to play their toughest ball against us. Gotta give that mofo credit.

I still think our offense is awful and have felt that way for a while. Even watching Rutgers they had a pleasing offense to watch. Why does Izzos offense always look so challenged? Been this way for a while.

The next time Izzo runs a clear out for a player will be the first time. Its always about 36 passes and 14 show posts per possession. If you're tired put up a shot with more than 12 seconds left on the shot clock. You'll get a guaranteed 8 minute break on the pine.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-14, 12:49

I missed the game yesterday, but check me on these observations.

Only the strongest of wills thrive on an Izzo team. The rest, no matter the talent level, play a little scared (seemingly of coach and/or getting benched for a mistake).

If you want to prep kids for the pros, seems like they could use a little experience in zone defense (and MSU could use it too).

Coach seems to hate creative showmanship, particularly when it leads to a turnover. Whilst on the other side, a sweet pass or poster dunk with some swag attached demoralizes an opponent while building momentum. It doesn't show a lack of respect, it's been part of the game for a long time now. How many of you played with a coaches kid who was good, but robotic? And how far did they take that talent (seldom past HS).

Pulling Deyonta Davis in the tourney last year was dumb.

SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-14, 13:13

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The next time Izzo runs a clear out for a player will be the first time. Its always about 36 passes and 14 show posts per possession. If you're tired put up a shot with more than 12 seconds left on the shot clock. You'll get a guaranteed 8 minute break on the pine.

Yeah, it looks dysfunctional and really predictable. Like McQaid you pass it to him and he’s more often than not going to pass it right back to the guy that passed it to him. Seems like our team passes it around with no purpose most of the time and then as the clock runs down they are forced to get off a difficult shot.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum