Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong

+4
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
InTenSity
steveschneider
8 posters

Go down

Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong Empty Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong

Post by steveschneider 2018-02-08, 14:42

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/king-of-kong-star-says-original-tape-will-prove-his-disputed-scores/
 Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong 992749028

"Over the weekend, Donkey Kong Forum moderator Jeremy Young removed competitive video gamer Billy Mitchell's highest claimed Donkey Kong scores from the forum after presenting credible evidence that these scores were achieved via MAME emulation rather than on actual arcade hardware. Mitchell addressed those accusations publicly for the first time on an episode of The East Side Dave show recorded Tuesday (subscription required).

After a long and meandering conversation about his career both before and after The King of Kong documentary helped raise his media profile, Mitchell did acknowledge that "the film footage that [Young] has... shows MAME play," referring to the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. Such footage would be potentially susceptible to manipulation via stitched-together recording of game inputs, and it would go against Mitchell's claims that his scores were recorded on actual arcade hardware."

and

"Update (Feb. 4, 2018): Former Donkey Kong world record holder Wes Copeland has presented new statistical evidence that he says suggests Mitchell's 1.05 million point game was patched together from multiple emulated plays. Drawing data from the KongTrackr analysis app, Copeland says Mitchell's run derives a significantly higher-than-average ratio of points from smashing enemies with the hammer.

Since the points derived from those enemy smashes are assigned semi-randomly (as detailed here), Copeland says such a statistically divergent performance "is evidence of splicing. Billy replayed the boards over and over until he got the right smash RNG [random number generation] to lock in his pace." Copeland adds that it's "extremely unlikely" such a performance could happen due to pure chance in a single run. While this statistical evidence is still a bit circumstantial, it certainly takes on added weight when combined with the evidence of MAME play presented below.

Amid all this unfolding drama, Robbie Lakeman managed to beat his own Donkey Kong world record in a livestreamed performance on Friday. Lakeman surpassed a December mark of 1,230,100 by scoring 1,247,700 points."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/donkey-kong-scoreboard-strips-billy-mitchells-high-score-claims/

Congrats to Robbie Lakeman on being #1 again.  Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong 1486952199  Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong 1486952199
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong Empty Re: Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong

Post by InTenSity 2018-02-08, 14:55

All I know is that I never should've listened to my parents when they said that you can't make money playing video games. There is a lot of money to be made playing video games, just takes a ton of practice.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong Empty Re: Billy Mitchell Defends His Disputed Scores at Donkey Kong

Post by steveschneider 2018-02-08, 16:25

InTenSity wrote:All I know is that I never should've listened to my parents when they said that you can't make money playing video games. There is a lot of money to be made playing video games, just takes a ton of practice.

Have you ever seen King of Kong A Fistful of Quarters? It's an amazing doc about pro gamers. Highly recommended.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-02-08, 21:54

I have not seen King of Kong. If the dude wasn't playing on legit arcade machines, I can see why purists would shit on him.

Also, fuck you, steve.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-02-08, 22:14

Isn't this game 30 some years old? Who gives a shit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-02-08, 23:45

Cameron wrote:I have not seen King of Kong. If the dude wasn't playing on legit arcade machines, I can see why purists would shit on him.

Also, fuck you, steve.

It’s a good movie, I think you’d like it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-02-09, 14:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Isn't this game 30 some years old? Who gives a shit.

It ranks right around competitive eating as one of those weird niche sports.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-02-09, 14:50

So glad we're getting to the bottom of this.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-13, 11:07

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/12/601867538/game-of-thrown-barrels-in-shocking-twist-scandal-fells-donkey-kong-royalty

What a shit show.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-13, 11:14

the fact that there is a public dispute about Donkey Kong explains so much about American society at this moment in time.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-04-13, 11:16

I’m distraught and disillusioned. Fuck it, I’m going back to watching competitive ironing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-04-13, 11:22

I used to be pretty good at Dig Dug. Anyone remember that game? It had no end. I could go all day on that game at like 10 years old. Let's start a league!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-13, 11:28

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I used to be pretty good at Dig Dug. Anyone remember that game? It had no end. I could go all day on that game at like 10 years old. Let's start a league!
I was the local master of Frogger and Missile Command.. I'd go to the skating rink, slap my quarter down on the control panel as if to say "I got next" and the other kids would scurry like cockroaches.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-13, 11:44

tGreenWay wrote:I’m distraught and disillusioned. Fuck it, I’m going back to watching competitive ironing.

I don’t think this is over. I expect Billy mitchell to lawyer up and clear his name.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-04-13, 12:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I used to be pretty good at Dig Dug. Anyone remember that game? It had no end. I could go all day on that game at like 10 years old. Let's start a league!
I was the local master of Frogger and Missile Command.. I'd go to the skating rink, slap my quarter down on the control panel as if to say "I got next" and the other kids would scurry like cockroaches.
Maybe that is just because you smelled so bad back then Bob.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-13, 12:37

MSU addict wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Maybe that is just because you smelled so bad back then Bob.
could've been my sweet mullet, too.

I had a sweet mullet back then.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-04-13, 14:16

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I’m distraught and disillusioned. Fuck it, I’m going back to watching competitive ironing.

I don’t think this is over. I expect Billy mitchell to lawyer up and clear his name.

No, man, no. I can’t take it anymore. Stop this madness!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-13, 15:48

http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/billy-mitchell-pac-man-world-record-1202752594/

Book of Guinness World Records just stripped Billy Mitchell of all his records. OUCH!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-14, 20:43

Even hit HotAir now...

King Of Kong: High-Score Arcade Gamer Has His Records Stripped
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-04-14, 20:44

Why is this news? I don't get it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-15, 07:35

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Why is this news? I don't get it.

king of Kong Fistfull of Quarters was a great documentary about 10 years ago. If you saw it you’d care. It’s a cult classic and has a lot of fans.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-15, 07:58

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Why is this news? I don't get it.

king of Kong Fistfull of Quarters was a great documentary about 10 years ago. If you saw it you’d care. It’s a cult classic and has a lot of fans.

If it wasn't on the front page of the People's World yesterday Pylon doesn't know about it.

;-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down