Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history?

+7
Watch Out Pylon!
Jethro Bodeen
The Pantry
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
DWags
kingstonlake
11 posters

Go down

Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history? Empty Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history?

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-20, 20:09

Convince me otherwise.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history? Empty Re: Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history?

Post by DWags 2018-07-20, 20:15

You’ve never watched “Glad he ate her”
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history? Empty Re: Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history?

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-20, 20:18

DWags wrote:You’ve never watched “Glad he ate her”

Is it 1:38?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-20, 20:21

I was comparing the Caddyshack ratings to Animal House, which is 11 minutes longer and is rated slightly higher, on IMDB.

Holy shit in 8 more days Animal House will be 40 years old. 7/28/78.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-20, 20:21

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:You’ve never watched “Glad he ate her”

Is it 1:38?

I never noticed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-20, 20:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:I was comparing the Caddyshack ratings to Animal House, which is 11 minutes longer and is rated slightly higher, on IMDB.

Holy shit in 8 more days Animal House will be 40 years old. 7/28/78.

Wow. I'm old.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-07-20, 23:19

Blues Brothers
Caddy Shack
Animal House

The triumviate of old school comedy flicks
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-20, 23:45

Nordic wrote:Animal House
Caddy Shack
Blues Brothers

Fixed the order for you Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history? 55953254
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-21, 07:13

Nordic wrote:Blues Brothers
Caddy Shack
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Animal House

FIFY
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2018-07-21, 15:54

kingstonlake wrote:Convince me otherwise.

Caddie Shack has its moments- but it was actually two separate movies cobbled together in desperation. It was supposed to be a coming of age comedy (al la Fast Times at Ridgemont High) involving Danny Noonan but morphed into a series of gags dominated by Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and to a lesser extent- Chevy Chase. It was supposedly based on the country club experiences of the Murray brothers ( writer Brian Doyle Murray aka Lou Loomis, Bill Murray etc) in Chicago. The other main writer, Dough Kenney (Stork in Animal House and co-founder of National Lampoon Magazine) also grew-up among country club set and his dad was a club tennis pro.

Right off the bat there were obvious problems with the script, direction and continuity. To make matters worse, there was very heavy alcohol and drug use by most of the cast on location. As filming wrapped, Director Harold Ramis thought the movie might be scrapped by the studio. Luckily for Ramis- he was able to cobble together enough of a story with the gags, the stars and the gopher.

Co-writer Doug Kenny was despondent over the final product and when it opened to poor reviews, he became suicidal and it is assumed he jumped off a cliff in Hawaii shortly thereafter- never to see the movie become a box office smash hit.

When I saw it in the theater back in the fall of 1980- I thought it sucked. Too much really dumb stuff out of the blue (like the gopher stuff) that didn't match the tone of the Danny Noonan story line. And I though all of that Zen bullshit from Chevy Chase was schmaltzy. I had no idea of the back story then, but I was a huge fan of Doug Kenney and a long time fan of National Lampoon- I expected better.

Over the years- I have acquired a nostalgic fondness for the movie but I still cringe when Carmin DePasto (the 13 year old Mayors daughter from Animal House) appears with an inexplicable Irish accent (which I know now was part of the "coming of age" film reminiscent of the Irish girls that came to the US to work summers at the Chicago Country Clubs were the Murray boys caddied) "Tanks fer nuttin!!!"

So for me- its "OK". I enjoy watching it. But its not a technically good movie for the reasons I stated. But what do we watch movies for? To be entertained. So who am I to argue with you on what you find entertaining?
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-21, 16:33

That's deep, Jethro
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-21, 16:39

Nope
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-21, 16:43

Nice info Jethro. Didn't know that.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-21, 17:25

There’s a really good doc on it. The crew partying was crazy at night. They were worried about Murray and chase hating each other. It’s pretty good. Producer was a real dick about forcing the girl to do a topless scene.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-21, 17:40

Among the finest 98-minute comedies in American cinematic history, Caddyshack is right there with Vacation and Fletch. Choose your order, IDGAF.
Remember, OP only mentioned movies with a RT of 98 mins, so Fast Times and Animal House cannot be included, as Animal House was longer and Fast Times shorter. Hell, the naked Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool scene should’ve been fifteen minutes in super slow-mo all by itself.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2018-07-21, 17:42; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-21, 17:41

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Convince me otherwise.

Caddie Shack has its moments- but it was actually two separate movies cobbled together in desperation. It was supposed to be a coming of age comedy (al la Fast Times at Ridgemont High) involving Danny Noonan but morphed into a series of gags dominated by Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and to a lesser extent- Chevy Chase. It was supposedly based on the country club experiences of the Murray brothers ( writer Brian Doyle Murray aka Lou Loomis, Bill Murray etc) in Chicago. The other main writer, Dough Kenney (Stork in Animal House and co-founder of National Lampoon Magazine) also grew-up among country club set and his dad was a club tennis pro.

Right off the bat there were obvious problems with the script, direction and continuity. To make matters worse, there was very heavy alcohol and drug use by most of the cast on location. As filming wrapped, Director Harold Ramis thought the movie might be scrapped by the studio. Luckily for Ramis- he was able to cobble together enough of a story with the gags, the stars and the gopher.

Co-writer Doug Kenny was despondent  over the final product and when it opened to poor reviews, he became suicidal and it is assumed he jumped off a cliff in Hawaii shortly thereafter- never to see the movie become a box office smash hit.  

When I saw it in the theater back in the fall of 1980- I thought it sucked. Too much really dumb stuff out of the blue (like the gopher stuff) that didn't match the tone of the Danny Noonan story line.  And I though all of that Zen bullshit from Chevy Chase was schmaltzy. I had no idea of the back story then, but I was a huge fan of Doug Kenney and a long time fan of National Lampoon- I expected better.

Over the years- I have acquired a nostalgic fondness for the movie but I still cringe when Carmin DePasto (the 13 year old Mayors daughter from Animal House) appears with an inexplicable Irish accent (which I know now was part of the "coming of age" film reminiscent of the Irish girls that came to the US to work summers at the Chicago Country Clubs were the Murray boys caddied) "Tanks fer nuttin!!!"

So for me- its "OK". I enjoy watching it. But its not a technically good movie for the reasons I stated. But what do we watch movies for? To be entertained. So who am I to argue with you on what you find entertaining?  

This was touched on in that National Lampoons movie. A Stupid and Futile Gesture I think it was called.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-07-21, 23:53; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-21, 18:07

tGreenWay wrote:Among the finest 98-minute comedies in American cinematic history, Caddyshack is right there with Vacation and Fletch. Choose your order, IDGAF.
Remember, OP only mentioned movies with a RT of 98 mins, so Fast Times and Animal House cannot be included, as Animal House was longer and Fast Times shorter. Hell, the naked Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool scene should’ve been fifteen minutes in super slow-mo all by itself.

Fletch was a damn good flick bro.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2018-07-21, 23:28

I was pretty big into Anchorman as a youngling
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-22, 16:27

Bill Cain wrote:I was pretty big into Anchorman as a youngling

Good suggestion, but it seems only the unrated version was 98 mins, per IMDB.
You may now return to making your cold calls.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-22, 16:33

Will Ferrell has never been funny.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-22, 16:40

The Pantry wrote:Will Ferrell has never been funny.

I’ve liked some of his stuff. Loved Anchorman. He gets in trouble when he and his buddies rent a couple cameras and a sound stage and start a movie with only the barest of outlines for a script, then hope to ad lib their way through every scene.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-07-22, 18:50

Blazing Saddles
Caddy Shack
Animal House

FIagainFY
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-22, 19:12

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Blazing Saddles
Caddy Shack
Animal House

FIagainFY

I find your language fascinating.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-07-22, 21:38

FTRH, Fletch, Vacation... all good additions... no arguements here

But GTFO here with Blazing Saddles
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-22, 22:15

Nordic wrote:
But GTFO here with Blazing Saddles
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-07-23, 05:08

Is Caddy Shack the finest 1:38 in American cinematic history? Animal10
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down