Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend?

+9
DWags
I.B. Fine
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? Empty What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 14:33

Just paying for WiFi and paying $20 for YouTube tv which seems to have anything i want to watch anyway? What’s the catch? Any main channels I’m missing??

(I would never pay for cable, but i moved into a house that already had it.)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? Empty Re: What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend?

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-25, 14:45

Does youtube have all channels? I think usually the streaming services have a partnership with a lot of the channels but not all of the channels. I have Sling and it doesn't have ABC/ESPN but it has just about everything else.

I'm lucky, because I have some one that gave me login credentials to their cable account so I use those to watch ESPN/B10 etc through Roku.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? Empty Re: What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-25, 14:47

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? 43747d1385766488-uhf-vhf-tv-antenna-tower-falls2

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-25, 14:48

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Looks pretty good. I get a good chunk of those through Sling for 25/month.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 14:56

Steve, i looked through the channels listed for denver and it had everything i can think of watching. Including abc and espn.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 15:09

Personally I love the Hulu live that I picked up after cutting the cord, only thing missing is AMC. Maybe youtube tv is as good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-10-25, 16:08

Who is going to be your provider?
If you like to channel surf, it takes a lot longer to do so.
Don't rent the equipment, buy it. Spend money on your own, and don't go for a cheap router.
I might have had more, but started this reply about 2 hours ago and got distracted at work.

Edit - Get an HD antennae for local channels. It will be in HD, better than cable. Living in Denver, you will get a lot of channels. They run around $25.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 16:14

I’d imagine we would stick with xfinity WiFi to ease the transition intensity.

The friend that has the YouTube account (that we would be under) pays extra for the basic channels already.

My brother mentioned something about data limits? That true?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-10-25, 16:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’d imagine we would stick with xfinity WiFi to ease the transition intensity.

The friend that has the YouTube account (that we would be under) pays extra for the basic channels already.

Check and see if you are paying rental fee's. $10 a month for modem and router is $120 a year. you can get a modem for $80 or so and a router for $150. In about 2 years they pay for themselves, probably less.
Don't pay extra for the local channels, unless you can record with Youtube TV and want to do that. Why pay extra, when you can get a antennae for $25 that will get the same thing in a better resolution without any delay? Watching online you will have at least 1 minute, and probably most times be 3 minutes behind live action. With an antennae, you are maybe 15 seconds behind.
Most ISP have a data limit of 1 gig/month of data. I haven't hit it yet, probably use about 600-800 a month though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-25, 16:27

If you share it with your roommate then your roommate will be able to see your history of everything you’ve viewed on YouTube. So he’d be able to see that you clicked on this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7M0lB6gq4CA
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-25, 17:19

Know nothing about all the TV services like Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. Do you need a box for every TV in the house? Do they need to be smart TVs?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-25, 17:21

The Pantry wrote:Know nothing about all the TV services like Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. Do you need a box for every TV in the house? Do they need to be smart TVs?
You need a box if you still get up and turn the dial to change channels.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 17:44

The Pantry wrote:Know nothing about all the TV services like Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. Do you need a box for every TV in the house? Do they need to be smart TVs?

Fire Stick or Fire TV for each TV will also do the trick.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-25, 18:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:

So, you need a gadget for each TV...?

They all run over WiFi?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-25, 18:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:

They all run over WiFi?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 18:37

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

They all run over WiFi?  

Yeah, the Fire devices run over wifi. With them, you download the Hulu app, or the Sling app, etc. from the Amazon store.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-10-25, 18:39

I want to watch cnn espn BTN2Go btn local channels abc cbs nbc and tnt. Can I cut the cable?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 18:44

DWags wrote:I want to watch cnn espn BTN2Go btn local channels abc cbs nbc and tnt. Can I cut the cable?

Yes. Compare Sling, Hulu live and YouTube TV and see what works for you. I took my cable/internet bill from $180/month in January to $110/mo since February. $70/mo Wow 500mbps internet and $40/mo for Hulu live. OTA didn't work for me, weird location.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-10-25, 18:46

My wife watches in our bedroom while I’m either in the family room or basement. We watch different stuff. Will that be good?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 18:50

DWags wrote:My wife watches in our bedroom while I’m either in the family room or basement. We watch different stuff. Will that be good?

That's where the 500mbps comes in handy for streaming multiple devices. And multiple Fire devices or whatever. With Hulu (imagine Sling does the same) you each have your profile of favorites etc. Want to watch on your phone, no problem.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-25, 19:28

I am interested in this. Not getting what I need out of amazon and Hulu. 40 bucks, minus the 20 I could save might be the way to go. Are there commercials?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 19:29

Rocinante wrote:I am interested in this. Not getting what I need out of amazon and Hulu. 40 bucks, minus the 20 I could save might be the way to go. Are there commercials?

Yes. Good amount of them.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 19:30

FYI YouTube and amazon fire stick don’t work without some bootleg shit. I think google and amazon are fighting. Yay.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-25, 19:31

InTenSity wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’d imagine we would stick with xfinity WiFi to ease the transition intensity.

Check and see if you are paying rental fee's. $10 a month for modem and router is $120 a year. you can get a modem for $80 or so and a router for $150. In about 2 years they pay for themselves, probably less.
Don't pay extra for the local channels, unless you can record with Youtube TV and want to do that. Why pay extra, when you can get a antennae for $25 that will get the same thing in a better resolution without any delay? Watching online you will have at least 1 minute, and probably most times be 3 minutes behind live action. With an antennae, you are maybe 15 seconds behind.
Most ISP have a data limit of 1 gig/month of data. I haven't hit it yet, probably use about 600-800 a month though.

I believe we bought our shit. But will ask. My buddy who owns the account is paying for the basic channels already so not going to bother l. 600-800 is pretty close. What happens at 1gig ? 1gig? That seems like fucking nothing?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-10-25, 19:51

I had the numbers wrong. Its a terabyte. 1000 gigs/month.
You'll have to look at the terms of the agreement. Sometimes the first time is forgiven, you can purchase another 500 gigs for $20 or something like that or make it unlimited for another $50/month. I haven't hit it, AFAIK.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-25, 19:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:My wife watches in our bedroom while I’m either in the family room or basement. We watch different stuff. Will that be good?

That's where the 500mbps comes in handy for streaming multiple devices. And multiple Fire devices or whatever. With Hulu (imagine Sling does the same) you each have your profile of favorites etc. Want to watch on your phone, no problem.
Long running battle with WOW going on 15 years. Have the number for their customer retention service saved on my phone. They drop the price for a couple months then it goes back to usual.

You're tech savvy. Next time I call them, which specific jump should I threaten them with? ATT and Comcast are useless.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-25, 20:02

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Long running battle with WOW going on 15 years. Have the number for their customer retention service saved on my phone. They drop the price for a couple months then it goes back to usual.

You're tech savvy. Next time I call them, which specific jump should I threaten them with? ATT and Comcast are useless.

I'm out of my element trying to pit one against the other. I only told Comcast to finally f off because the jacked my rate up $20/mo to pay for their infrastructure improvements. It was a fucking highway tax is what it was. I've been happy with Wow's internet, except they've made it sort of impossible to buy my own 500mbps modem/router. There "accepted" list is pretty narrow and you can't buy one anywhere.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-25, 21:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Long running battle with WOW going on 15 years.  Have the number for their customer retention service saved on my phone.  They drop the price for a couple months then it goes back to usual.  

You're tech savvy.  Next time I call them, which specific jump should I threaten them with?  ATT and Comcast are useless.    

I'm out of my element trying to pit one against the other.  I only told Comcast to finally f off because the jacked my rate up $20/mo to pay for their infrastructure improvements. It was a fucking highway tax is what it was. I've been happy with Wow's internet, except they've made it sort of impossible to buy my own 500mbps modem/router.  There "accepted" list is pretty narrow and you can't buy one anywhere.
Bought a Motorola Surfboard when I first got wow service.  Worked great until it took a shit this past year, along with the router at the same time...must have been a power surge. Been through a few routers but the modem going out was different.  Replaced it with a Netgear CM400.  Had no problem getting WOW to connect with it.  New router is Netgear too.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-25, 21:20

Have a couple Roku TVs, they're cheap and very easy to use, access Netflix, Hulu, etc, straight Wi-Fi, all I need is a decent OTA antenna
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-25, 22:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I am interested in this. Not getting what I need out of amazon and Hulu. 40 bucks, minus the 20 I could save might be the way to go. Are there commercials?

Yes. Good amount of them.

Ugh. If they only showed them at the beginning I would be ok with that, but I watched The Looming Tower on Hulu and it’s like all this serious drama and emotion and then a commercial about ladies razors and I just can’t do it anymore.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-10-26, 08:57

I’d love to cut the cord but I can’t fathom the amount of time and effort it would take for me to explain to my wife how it all works. Not worth the savings.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-26, 10:03

By-Tor wrote:I’d love to cut the cord but I can’t fathom the amount of time and effort it would take for me to explain to my wife how it all works. Not worth the savings.

How a remote works? She sounds dumb.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2018-10-26, 10:07

By-Tor wrote:I’d love to cut the cord but I can’t fathom the amount of time and effort it would take for me to explain to my wife how it all works. Not worth the savings.
This - my wife can't figure out the high def channels, so she watches shit on low def. Drives me fucking crazy.

I bought a HD antenna to what OTA channels I can get, not too bad; what I want to know is if anyone has done this with a cell carrier hot-spot and unlimited data plan?
I'm thinking that the saving from ditching cable & WiFi will more than offset the upcharge in cell phone bill, but how well will shit stream via data connection?
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-10-26, 10:35

I didn’t marry her for her remoting skills.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-26, 11:36

She married him What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? 2599972566
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-10-26, 13:48

I'm in the same boat... soooo eat my weiner, man.

Yeah, if mine is required to change the input she gets all in a tizzy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-26, 13:55

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

I'm in the same boat... soooo eat my weiner, man.

Yeah, if mine is required to change the input she gets all in a tizzy.

Actually, it's easy to tell OTPT is not married. It's easier to yell at me than figure it out herself.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-26, 14:09

Marriage sounds great
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-26, 14:10

I.B. Fine wrote:

She married him What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? 2599972566

What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-26, 14:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Marriage sounds great
There are some trade offs. What should I know before cutting the cord and splitting YouTube TV with a friend? 4113017228
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next