Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice?

+6
tGreenWay
TheReal_LWS
Dendrobates
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
DWags
10 posters

Go down

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? Empty So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice?

Post by DWags Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:05 pm

I have two, one with my dad, one with my family years later. Both spin outs with large trucks coming. Just pure luck not a scratch either time. One on us 31 one on 115.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? Empty Re: So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice?

Post by steveschneider Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Sort of like you, lost control and was swerving into the other lane. I don't know how I did it but I got control and made it back into my lane. It's scary shit when it happens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? Empty Re: So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Driving an S-10 back in high school. I had a bad habit of not buckling my seat belt until I got on the road. I pull out of the driveway after getting done with a shift at McDonalds. I'm on the road and I go to fasten my seat belt. Just as I do I feel the back tires break loose on some ice. I try to correct but there's no chance. I fishtail a couple of times before I hit a deep ditch and get thrown into a hill on the opposite side, which half flips my truck onto the passenger door. I do a 180 on my side and take out a wooden sign and then land back on my wheels.

Somehow I am still able to drive the thing. I pull into a nearby parking lot, go back to work and call the cops to file a report for insurance. My passenger side truck bed is pretty messed up.

Long story short, if I'm a few seconds later on buckling my seat belt who knows what happens to me. Buckle your seat belt before you start moving kids.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm

Hubby and I were driving on 94 from Iowa, heading to metro Detroit. Out of no where came a white squall in the stevensville area. We seriously couldn't see anything. This was before our phones were crazy fast and accurate. We were white kneckling it and finally saw an exit to get off on red arrow hwy. We saw a hotel and then booked a room. It was then we saw of the news, that a 100 car pile up just happened where we would have been if we didnt tske the exit. I think 1 person died. The hotel was crazy with everyone's animals too. We had our pet sugar gliders with us too at the time.

The next day, 94 was a sheet of ice. We could only drive around 30 mph to maintain control. We then see this car speeding up behind us, ready to tailgate us (even tho there were no other cars around). We look in our mirrors and then could see the panic on their faces because they couldn't stop. They were beeping their horn at us to go faster, but we couldn't . We still dont know how they didn't hit us. They had to be within an inch of hitting us and it didnt happen. They slid all over the place, but managed to regain control . They didn't come anywhere close to us after that.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Female drivers. Nuff said.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:08 pm

What made you so misogynistic LWS?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:What made you so misogynistic LWS?

LWS is terrified of women.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:What made you so misogynistic LWS?

Especially Mrs. LWS.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:00 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Especially Mrs. LWS.

Not surprised. It’s textbook to demonize and denigrate those who scare you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:07 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Especially Mrs. LWS.

Not surprised. It’s textbook to demonize and denigrate those who scare you.

Which is why I never demonize or denigrate you.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Man, LWS posts that cool pic of his dog healing, you try to warm up to him and boom, misogynistic LWS throws water on you. "I don't know any Paula's who aren't fat and ugly" and "women are terrible...." What evs. So be it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:47 pm

DWags wrote:Man, LWS posts that cool pic of his dog healing, you try to warm up to him and boom, misogynistic LWS throws water on you. "I don't know any Paula's who aren't fat and ugly" and "women are terrible...." What evs. So be it.

LOL

You guys take things way too seriously around here. Love you Dwags!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:16 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Especially Mrs. LWS.

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? 502811600 She’s a good woman, I love it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Driven a few times to Colorado on 80/90 and Toronto on the 401 in some nasty shit.

On the way back from Colorado one year I was driving my pop's Suburban. Future wife in the passenger seat, parents in the back. All were sound asleep. It was a bit slick to start but had gone about an hour with no snow or ice so I turned off the 4WD. Stupid. About a half hour later I came up on a curve and hit black ice. The backend slid out and we were basically at a 45 degree angle to the road, on a curve heading for the ditch going 70mph. I could see us approaching the ditch out the driver window. We were rolling for sure. Gave the wheel a little jab to the left and miraculously straightened right out.

Wife felt the jolt, wakes up and sleepily asks "you ok?". My fucking heart rate was through the roof and took me a few minutes tell her that we were c-hair from a horrific wreck. I chaulk up missing the ditch from years of doing donuts and fishtails in old school V8s.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm

Had a number that made my sphincter pucker.  Got a bit sideways a few times but never spun more than maybe +/-15° from headed direction.  Have always been good at counter-steer and recovery...must be the 99.2% Finnish genes.

The most harrowing all happened in pretty much a straight line.  It actually wasn't that bad because it occurred at fairly low speeds...it's just I didn't want to get into an accident.  Told this story before here so apologies to those rereading it.

Lived in RO late 80's before I-696 had been completed.  Drove a new '87 Mustang GT...horrible car in the snow but was better with a couple hundred pounds of salt in the back.  Had snowed maybe 4" when leaving for work early one Saturday morning, completely dark out.  Eased up the hill on the 12 Mile ramp to SB I-75.  Got to near the top before the ramp became downhill to merge onto 75 under an overpass.  Noticed two cars on 75 a little ahead of me.  Saw them bump side-by-side and start spinning in opposite directions, one toward the median wall and the other toward the bottom of my ramp.  Forget if it spun 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 times but it finally came to rest with it's tires at the curb under the overpass, facing me with headlights in my eyes.  Knew braking would be futile as I was headed downhill toward it.  Completely focused on the vehicle ahead of me wasn't sure if the other car had bounced off the wall and was spinning down the 75 slope there and cutting off a steer-around opportunity to the left.  

Processed the couple seconds of information and took the only possible safe action in my head.  Left foot on the clutch and right foot off the brake.  Gently steered up on the shoulder.  Went between the car facing me and the wall under the overpass, touching neither, steered back on the road and continued on to work.  

Still feel a little bad not stopping to assist or give accident information to the cops but knew no one got hurt in the snow ballet.  Person driving the vehicle that was stopped facing me was probably amazed as I was and still tells the story.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:04 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:
DWags wrote:Man, LWS posts that cool pic of his dog healing, you try to warm up to him and boom, misogynistic LWS throws water on you. "I don't know any Paula's who aren't fat and ugly" and "women are terrible...." What evs. So be it.

LOL

You guys take things way too seriously around here. Love you Dwags!

Yeah, guys.

For the record, I stopped taking LWS seriously after he posted a meme direct from Russia.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:30 pm

The addition of fire to snow and ice. So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? 1550444538

[tw]1090783150811332609[/tw]

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:06 am

Dendrobates wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Especially Mrs. LWS.

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? 502811600 She’s a good woman, I love it.

So what’s your most harrowing car experience in the snow and ice? 4113017228 She's anti-vax.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down