Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flex on the move again

3 posters

Go down

Flex on the move again Empty Flex on the move again

Post by gomersbro Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 4:13

I do not understand how coaches are picked. It is not just Flex Alford https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nevada-hiring-former-ucla-coach-steve-alford-to-succeed-eric-musselman-report-says/ who is moving to Nevada after failing at UCLA, but across all sports and levels. Think about the NFL or NBA where coaches are fired and then they are a "hot" name a year later. Why? I heard a Tyrone Lue to LA rumor...

Back to Alford. They praise his recruiting at UCLA. Well no shit, anyone could recruit well there. Are they expecting that he recruits at that level at NEVADA?
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Flex on the move again Empty Re: Flex on the move again

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 4:31

Tyronn lue won a championship with Lebron. It isn’t really all that hard to understand why that would be a rumor. Not that it’s a good idea. Lebron is getting up there and he probably needs an actual coach to manage his senior years more than he did in 2016.

Anyway the answer is because there are only so many options. What do you want... Nevada to go on a State by state tour of high school coaches? See what they find? Who is paying for that? Schools of their caliber have been down that route. It might work, but it almost certainly won’t. Then what do they have? They’ll hire Alford because he’s sort of a name who maybe can bring in sort of decent talent to a sort of okay basketball program. Their other option was rolling the dice on, well, no one.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 6:41

In the Spirit of the Kyle Korver article and as a white guy I will offer my take. I think a lot of it comes down to White privilege.

There’s a reason why an idiot like Alford can get multiple chances as a headcoach and there’s a reason why a good coach like Dwane Stephens has a tough time getting a first chance. There’s probably a similar reason why that CBS sports article a while back left Dwane Stephens off the list of top 5 coaches to replace Izzo and Draymond had to go off about it on twitter.

Regarding Tye Lue I think similar things come into play. Look at Bradley Stevens dude is as white as me but with more hair. He’s long been heralded as some kind of boy genius up there with Steve Kerr/Popovich (seriously) with really nothing much to show for it. My two cents a lot of it has to do with the fact that he looks like a white prep school boy, his first name is Bradley and he coaches in Boston which come on...Anyone that has spent time in Boston knows that town is a racist San Francisco. Meanwhile Ty Lue has a better playoff win %, more trips to the NBA finals and out coached Brad Stevens to defeat his Celtics in game 7 of the playoffs 2018 but he’s always cast off as an idiot. I think he deserves credit he beat the Warriors as Head Coach and is the only one to do it in the playoffs in the last four years while they are in dynasty mode.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down