Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice on Fire - HBO

+3
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
7 posters

Go down

Video Ice on Fire - HBO

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 11 Jun 2019 - 23:53

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Video Re: Ice on Fire - HBO

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 14 Jun 2019 - 13:17

Thinking about watching it tonight. Did you watch the whole thing yet?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 14 Jun 2019 - 20:58

So I give this thing a B+. A lot of solid information, but I think it could have benefited from a clearer introduction and some organization. Like here are the five areas we're going cover and here's why. All of as sudden it goes from solar energy to sequestered methane in the permafrost (slight exaggeration maybe).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jun 2019 - 22:53

I expect I’ll watch soon. Realistically, I have great doubt that anything can or will be done. The issue has become too political, and Americans on both sides of the aisle are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices to repair the earth (including me). Without the US on board, it’s unlikely enough pressure can be placed on places like China to change their ways.
Further, there are already way too many people in the world, and it’s only getting worse. Truthfully, as much as I know I would’ve loved to have had children, when I consider earth’s future, I’m glad I didn’t bring any into the world. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but the situation is already dire, bordering on hopeless.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Jun 2019 - 23:10

Thanks otpt will give it a watch soon. Looks really heavy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 14 Jun 2019 - 23:52

tGreenWay wrote:I expect I’ll watch soon. Realistically, I have great doubt that anything can or will be done. The issue has become too political, and Americans on both sides of the aisle are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices to repair the earth (including me). Without the US on board, it’s unlikely enough pressure can be placed on places like China to change their ways.
Further, there are already way too many people in the world, and it’s only getting worse. Truthfully, as much as I know I would’ve loved to have had children, when I consider earth’s future, I’m glad I didn’t bring any into the world. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but the situation is already dire, bordering on hopeless.

We elect leaders to lead. They are not leading. If they led and you were told this is how things will be. You would do what needed to be done. We have to get money out of politics or you’re right. Nothing will ever get done.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 0:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:So I give this thing a B+. A lot of solid information, but I think it could have benefited from a clearer introduction and some organization. Like here are the five areas we're going cover and here's why. All of as sudden it goes from solar energy to sequestered methane in the permafrost (slight exaggeration maybe).

Just finished it. I'm not gonna lie. I was bored as fuck. Devastating info, awesome camera work and the experts were all great. But the story telling didn't put a hook in me. It wasn't till 13 mins in did they say we are fucked. They shoulda lead with that. I agree with your comments, something was off. I hope I'm wrong so it gets more play.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 0:16

I went to MSU college of ag and science for undergrad. I graduated in 2003. Me and many of my classmates thought, based on what we knew, that global warming was already well past the tipping point by then. That we were in a positive feedback loop that only ended with massive societal upheaval. I have gotten a lot more education since then but that belief had never changed. What has changed is my attitude. Just because we’re fucked (we fucked ourselves) doesn’t mean we should just live it up while we can. We can minimize the trials our children have to go through if we recognize the problem and face it. It’s still going to happen but we still can make it less painful to the human race. I still believe in us, because not believing means giving up. And if I did that I might as well just die.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 2:16

I didn’t finish it yet due to starting it late but in general agree with y’all. Could have been done better but still worth a watch. As surprising as it is, I’m jaded as greenway. Not having children. We are a dumb species.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 8:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I didn’t finish it yet due to starting it late but in general agree with y’all. Could have been done better but still worth a watch. As surprising as it is, I’m jaded as greenway. Not having children. We are a dumb species.

We are smart enough to identify the problem that is going to wipe us out, too stupid to do anything about it.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 8:57

The average American can't figure out what is real news vs. made up bullshit. We'll never get them to understand the implications of climate change.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 9:13

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:The average American can't figure out what is real news vs. made up bullshit. We'll never get them to understand the implications of climate change.

I agree. But this applies to everyone, including everyone on this board, not just "average Americans". Every single piece of information you consume is biased.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 10:20

Nordic wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:The average American can't figure out what is real news vs. made up bullshit. We'll never get them to understand the implications of climate change.

I agree. But this applies to everyone, including everyone on this board, not just "average Americans". Every single piece of information you consume is biased.

What about science? You can very easily look at projections and data and come to your own conclusion. I’m biased towards our own survival.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 10:24

Also...

[tw]1139880518294675457[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 15 Jun 2019 - 10:52

Nordic wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about? How is every piece of information biased? If you mean every piece of information you receive , you look at through your own biases, fine, but the other thing is ludicrous. Essentially you’re saying there is no truth. Or that truth is relative. And it’s not. The matrix has you.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 17 Jun 2019 - 8:37

Nordic wrote:

Congress eliminating the Fairness Doctrine was not a good move in retrospect.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down