Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't we talk about retail layoffs?

+6
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
DWags
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
10 posters

Go down

Why don't we talk about retail layoffs? Empty Why don't we talk about retail layoffs?

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-02, 09:37

Lowe's set to layoff thousands

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/02/lowes-store-layoffs/1898200001/

Retail layoffs have become commonplace yet they get very little attention. From the end of March:

More than 41,000 people have lost their jobs in the retail industry so far this year — a 92 percent spike in layoffs since the same time last year, according to a new report.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/retail-apocalypse-jcpenney-payless-lifeway-announce-3-000-combined-store-n988756

Is this mostly due to ecommerce and Amazon? I'm pretty sure Andrew Yang would argue it has a lot to do with those things.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why don't we talk about retail layoffs? Empty Re: Why don't we talk about retail layoffs?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-02, 09:40

Yang 2020
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why don't we talk about retail layoffs? Empty Re: Why don't we talk about retail layoffs?

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-02, 09:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Yang 2020

Bro, you remember the Ying Yang Twins?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-02, 09:49

Turtleneck wrote:

Bro, you remember the Ying Yang Twins?

Shawty crunk on the floor wide open
Skeet so much they call her Billy Ocean
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-02, 09:59

You go to a department store now good luck finding some help on the floor. These places the customers help each other out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-02, 10:17

Had to get something last minute from dicks sporting goods and there was plenty of help.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-02, 10:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Had to get something last minute from dicks sporting goods and there was plenty of help.

Really? I'm shocked. I've gone in there to buy Golf equipment and it's crickets. I also was checking out their tennis rackets and wanted to figure out what was the right size grip and no help. Same deal every time I go to Lowe's or Home Depot. I even bought a snow optimist there and there was no guidance and no sales help at all. I just had to kind of read the reviews about them on my iphone and then finally I told this person at the service desk which one I wanted and they scheduled the delivery.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-08-02, 11:01

So far, he's my guy. Early but hey, he's realistic with a left lean.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-02, 11:05

DWags wrote:

Charles Blow wrote a great column about him on the NYT yesterday. Nailed it. Sadly I don't see there being a chance in hell he gets anywhere but I have a lot of respect for him.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-08-02, 11:32

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:

Charles Blow wrote a great column about him on the NYT yesterday. Nailed it. Sadly I don't see there being a chance in hell he gets anywhere but I have a lot of respect for him.

Put him in as Secretary of Commerce or something like that. He could probably fill several cabinet positions at once, really.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-08-02, 11:44

From what I've read, there appears to be a pretty decent chance that Yang will meet the thresholds for the next round of debates. If he can stick around once half the field drops off, he could maybe parlay a little more time into some real momentum. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-02, 11:50

Cameron wrote:From what I've read, there appears to be a pretty decent chance that Yang will meet the thresholds for the next round of debates. If he can stick around once half the field drops off, he could maybe parlay a little more time into some real momentum. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

Yeah, the first rounds of the debates have been a joke. If he could have more time and give more substantive answers it could give him a serious bump.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-08-02, 12:08

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:From what I've read, there appears to be a pretty decent chance that Yang will meet the thresholds for the next round of debates. If he can stick around once half the field drops off, he could maybe parlay a little more time into some real momentum. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

Yeah, the first rounds of the debates have been a joke. If he could have more time and give more substantive answers it could give him a serious bump.

Give him time to break out the powerpoints.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-02, 12:17

Turtleneck wrote:Lowe's set to layoff thousands

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/02/lowes-store-layoffs/1898200001/

Retail layoffs have become commonplace yet they get very little attention. From the end of March:

More than 41,000 people have lost their jobs in the retail industry so far this year — a 92 percent spike in layoffs since the same time last year, according to a new report.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/retail-apocalypse-jcpenney-payless-lifeway-announce-3-000-combined-store-n988756

Is this mostly due to ecommerce and Amazon? I'm pretty sure Andrew Yang would argue it has a lot to do with those things.
I'm sure this bad news for the American economy and our workers will be the lead story on all of the mainstream media outlets this evening.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-02, 15:18

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:

He’s got no shot. Usually my favorite candidate doesn’t. Sucks.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-02, 15:24

If I were to give two hunches about why we don’t care about retail layoffs- 1) it’s just sort of an accepted part of a dying industry 2) we view them as lesser jobs akin to there being a lay-off of fry cooks.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-02, 15:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If I were to give two hunches about why we don’t care about retail layoffs- 1) it’s just sort of an accepted part of a dying industry 2) we view them as lesser jobs akin to there being a lay-off of fry cooks.

Viewing it from a bigger picture, it’s losing jobs to technology. Only the beginning really.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-02, 16:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If I were to give two hunches about why we don’t care about retail layoffs- 1) it’s just sort of an accepted part of a dying industry 2) we view them as lesser jobs akin to there being a lay-off of fry cooks.

Viewing it from a bigger picture, it’s losing jobs to technology. Only the beginning really.

No, it’s not the beginning otpt. Losing jobs to technology has literally happened since the beginning of time when the first rock hauler person got replaced by the wheel. People who copy books by hand were replaced by the printing press. Every technological advancement has meant someone’s job got replaced, since literally forever.

I guess the question is if the speed of technological advancement we’ve seen since the start of the internet, a speed that I don’t think people fully understand since we’re living in the moment of it, is too fast to allow for replacement jobs to fill the gap.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-08-02, 16:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

No, it’s not the beginning otpt. Losing jobs to technology has literally happened since the beginning of time when the first rock hauler person got replaced by the wheel. People who copy books by hand were replaced by the printing press. Every technological advancement has meant someone’s job got replaced, since literally forever.

I guess the question is if the speed of technological advancement we’ve seen since the start of the internet, a speed that I don’t think people fully understand since we’re living in the moment of it, is too fast to allow for replacement jobs to fill the gap.

So we can go back to the wheel being invented to make a point or learn something, but not 2016 or 2012.

Interesting.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-08-02, 16:31

One job is eliminated, often another is created. I heard Lowe's is outsourcing a lot of jobs they currently have employees handle. Those contractors will be hiring, along with Amazon and it's delivery contractors, as it tramples brick and mortar retail.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-02, 16:34

kingstonlake wrote:

So we can go back to the wheel being invented to make a point or learn something, but not 2016 or 2012.

Interesting.

Kingston, I’m pretty sure you missed what I was saying last week in that thread. Miami has gone on a torrent of posts where everything boiled down to him talking about Hilary over and over again. I was calling him out on it. A) it had nothing to do with you and B) I was not expousing on the virtues of history and your insinuation that I did makes you sound really fucking stupid.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-02, 16:36

I.B. Fine wrote:

One job is eliminated, often another is created. I heard Lowe's is outsourcing a lot of jobs they currently have employees handle. Those contractors will be hiring, along with Amazon and it's delivery contractors, as it tramples brick and mortar retail.

Traditionally, yeah. But I think the concern is that you’re getting rid of low skill jobs and replacing them with ultra high tech advanced jobs.

That’s why I think a better solution to the problem is fixing our education system and making it possible for people to get education without lifetime debt burdens
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-08-02, 17:01

kingstonlake wrote:

Interesting.

Kingston, I’m pretty sure you missed what I was saying last week in that thread. Miami has gone on a torrent of posts where everything boiled down to him talking about Hilary over and over again. I was calling him out on it. A) it had nothing to do with you and B) I was not expousing on the virtues of history and your insinuation that I did makes you sound really fucking stupid.

A.) You sound angry
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-02, 17:09

kingstonlake wrote:

A.) You sound angry

Super mad.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-08-02, 17:17

kingstonlake wrote:

A.) You sound angry

Super mad.

B.) Thanks for not swearing
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-10-06, 20:25

Coresight Research says more than 8,500 stores have closed this year, 47% more than last year and ahead of the record 8,000 or so that shut down in 2017. It estimates as many as 12,000 stores will close in 2019, offset by 3,500 openings this year to date.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/05/the-retail-apocalypse-may-last-2-more-years/40237695/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-10-06, 20:43

#YangGang
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down