Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ancient Grains

+11
Cameron
Nordic
SawGreen
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
steveschneider
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ancient Grains Empty Ancient Grains

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 20:56

You guys get into this stuff? I don’t know if it’s just the latest trendy marketing campaign but I had this unbelievable farro with pesto dish tonight. I always thought farro was just a grain but turns out it’s an ancient grain. I guess quinoa is also an ancient grain. Who knew?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Ancient Grains Empty Re: Ancient Grains

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:00

Have you tried cooking with modern grains?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:02

Isn't maize an ancient grain?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:16

Modernize your cooking, Steve!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:21

I guess if you want a modern grain you’d have to go for modern varieties of wheat.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:24

“Modern wheat is a hybrid descendant of three wheat species considered to be ancient grains; spelt, einkorn & emmer.”
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:47

Fucking Steve
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:51

steveschneider wrote:You guys get into this stuff? I don’t know if it’s just the latest trendy marketing campaign but I had this unbelievable farro with pesto dish tonight. I always thought farro was just a grain but turns out it’s an ancient grain. I guess quinoa is also an ancient grain. Who knew?

I was friends with a Charlie Ferro in undergrad. I know it’s a different spelling, but I just checked out a couple of party pics with him in them
and — get this — his photo is grainy.
I know, right?
Chills.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 21:55

What the fuck Steve?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 22:09

tGreenWay wrote:Have you tried cooking with modern grains?

Ancient Grains 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 22:15

Ya know Steve, MSU is a leader in increasing agricultural production. There are hundreds of bean strains alone created at MSU.
It's like you aren't even a Spartan, Steve.
Sheesh.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 22:24

The W. J. Beal Botanical Garden has a long history of inovative research dating back to its first decade. Professor Beal conducted many studies utilizing the garden and the campus arboretum. Two of his most noted studies were the cross-pollinating of corn in order to increase yield through hybrid vigor and his famous seed viability experiment.

In the fall of 1879, Professor William James Beal buried 20 bottles containing seeds with the intent to determine the length of time the seeds of some of our most common plants would remain dormant in the soil, yet germinate when exposed to favorable conditions (Beal 1884, 1905). The experiment is the longest continuously monitored experiment in the world. Professor Beal selected lots of fifty freshly grown seeds from each of twenty-one different species (Agrostemma githago, Amaranthus retroflexus, Ambrosia artemisiifolia, Anthemis cotula, Brassica nigra, Bromus secalinus, Capsella bursa-pastoris, Erechtites hieracifolia, Euphorbia maculata, Lepidum virginicum, Malva rotundifolia, Oenothera biennis, Plantago major, Polygonum hydropiper, Portulaca oleracea, Rumex crispus, Setaria glauca, Stellaria media, Trifolium repens, Verbascum thapsus, Verbascum blattaria). A total of twenty lots were prepared by mixing the seeds in moderately moist sand and placed in pint bottles. The bottles were buried on the Michigan State University campus, uncorked and placed with the mouth slanting downwards to prevent accumulation of water in the bottles.
During the first 40 years of the experiment, germination tests were performed every five years. Originally the bottles were unearthed in the autumn, but in 1919, an early winter caused the soil to freeze solid and no bottle could be extracted until the spring of 1920 (the 40th year of the study) (Darlington 1941). Dr. Darlington, who took over the experiment from Professor Beal in 1915 decided to extend the duration of the experiment by increasing the period between germination tests to ten years in 1920. This frequency was observed until the 100 year of the study in 1980. It was then when Dr. Bandursky, who took over the experiment from Dr. Darlington after his retirement, decided to extend the period to twenty years (Kivilaan & Bandurski 1981). The 15th bottle was unearthed in April 2000 by Drs. Frank W. Telewski and Jan Zeevaart, 120 years after the bottles were first buried by Professor Beal (Telewski and Zeevaart 2002).

The moist sand was extracted from the bottle and placed onto a tray of sterile soil mix. This tray was placed in a growth chamber. After 10 days the first seeds had germinated and eventually the total number of plants reached twenty-five. All of the plants were in the genus Verbascum, twenty-three were positively identified as Verbascum blattaria. Two of the plants appear to have a slightly different foliage and will be positively identified after they bloom. Although twenty different species of seed were placed in the bottles, initially only Verbascum germinated during this most recent trial. However, after the sandy mix containing the original seeds was given a cold treatment in August, a single Malva neglecta (syn. Malva rotundifolia) germinated in September, bringing the total number of seedlings to twenty-six. In the 1980 study, three different species germinated, including Verbascum blattaria, Verbascum thapsus and Malva neglecta. The four previous trials representing 1970, 1960, 1950 and 1940 only yielded seedlings of Verbascum blattaria making this species the only one to germinate in all 15 trials. Prior to the 1940 test, several of the other species included in the study also germinated. Twelve of the plants were given a cold treatment in August 2000 to simulate overwintering in order to stimulate flowering. These plants flowered in late September and are featured on this year's cover. Five more bottles remain undisturbed in their slumber under the MSU campus, the next bottle will be unearthed in the spring of 2020.

Literature Cited

Beal, W. J. 1884. The vitality of seeds. Proc. Soc. Promot. Agric. Sci. 5:44-46.

Beal, W.J. 1905. The vitality of seeds. Bot. Gaz. 38:140-143.

Darlington, H.T. 1941. The sixty-year period for Dr. Beal's seed viability experiment. Amer. J. Bot. 28:271-273.

Kivilaan, A. & Bandurski, R. S. 1981. The one hundred-year period for Dr. Beal's seed viability experiment. Amer. J. Bot. 68:1290-1292.

Telewski, F. W. and Zeevaart, J. 2002. The 120th year of the Beal seed viability study. Amer. J. Bot. 89(8): 1285-1288.

Visit Dr. Telewski's Research Page
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 22:55

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ya know Steve, MSU is a leader in increasing agricultural production. There are hundreds of bean strains alone created at MSU.
Sheesh.

Might be a good opportunity for someone from our ag college to join the board and educate us on ancient grains and modern grains.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 22:59

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ya know Steve, MSU is a leader in increasing agricultural production. There are hundreds of bean strains alone created at MSU.
Sheesh.

Might be a good opportunity for someone from our ag college to join the board and educate us on ancient grains and modern grains.

Da fuq, that's what I thought you were gonna do?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 23:12

I think if you're consuming a lot of grains, you're probably doing it wrong, regardless of whether they're ancient or modern.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 14 Feb 2020 - 23:26

Cameron wrote:I think if you're consuming a lot of grains, you're probably doing it wrong, regardless of whether they're ancient or modern.

I had a garden bowl with kale, farro, seitan and pesto. I thought it was pretty healthy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 0:02

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:I think if you're consuming a lot of grains, you're probably doing it wrong, regardless of whether they're ancient or modern.

I had a garden bowl with kale, farro, seitan and pesto. I thought it was pretty healthy.
scratch You grew pesto?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 1:07

steveschneider wrote:

That sounds awful.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 1:34

Seitan is actually pretty solid.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 3:07

You guys leave steve alone.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 5:33

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That sounds awful.

What’s so awful about ancient grains and fresh vegetables?

Reminder to self you are talking to someone that enjoys Mountain Dew and whiskey and gin and cranberry juice.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 9:09

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

That sounds awful.

Reminder to self you are talking to someone that enjoys Mountain Dew and whiskey and gin and cranberry juice.

First and foremost, there seems to be a distinct lack of deliciousness there. Secondly, I'm also generally in the school of thought that says you should avoid carbs as much as possible.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 9:17

steveschneider wrote:You guys get into this stuff? I don’t know if it’s just the latest trendy marketing campaign but I had this unbelievable farro with pesto dish tonight. I always thought farro was just a grain but turns out it’s an ancient grain. I guess quinoa is also an ancient grain. Who knew?

What # meal is this? I didn't see it on the drive thru menu.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 12:04

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

First and foremost, there seems to be a distinct lack of deliciousness there. Secondly, I'm also generally in the school of thought that says you should avoid carbs as much as possible.

I think farro is a super food and very healthy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 12:07

There’s no such thing as superheroes steve
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 13:36

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Fruits vegetables and whole grains are good for ya brah
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 14:23

Nordic wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Especially when you mix a steak and a beer with 'em. Dance
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 14:40

I.B. Fine wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Yeah buddy
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 17:37

I.B. Fine wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I don’t eat as much red meat as I used to but when a steak is offered up I take it everytime. Made a shepherds pie with beef the other week it’s dynamite meal int he winter and incredible with beer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 17:42

steveschneider wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I don’t eat as much red meat as I used to but when a steak is offered up I take it everytime. Made a shepherds pie with beef the other week it’s dynamite meal int he winter and incredible with beer.

Discussing pie making was retired when Guest's name was retired and put on a banner. -1 for Steve.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 17:42

What's the gametime meal today, Steve? Pad Thai (with tofu, meat is murder) here
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 17:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What's the gametime meal today, Steve? Pad Thai (with tofu, meat is murder) here

Yup, and dairy is assault.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 21:09

Went to my son's for dinner.  He makes killer ribeye.  Does it on the stove in hot cast iron for a couple minutes a side then finishes in the oven.  Have to admit they are better than my grilled steaks.

Ancient Grains Jake_s10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 21:30

Ruling on the bag of microwave popcorn I just polished off with my kid...
Is it only ancient if it came out of like a jiffy pop?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 21:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What's the gametime meal today, Steve? Pad Thai (with tofu, meat is murder) here

Had a garlic, pasta dish with broccoli and parmesian on it. We got this killer olive oil out in California that we put on it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 15 Feb 2020 - 23:39

The Pantry wrote:Went to my son's for dinner.  He makes killer ribeye.  Does it on the stove in hot cast iron for a couple minutes a side then finishes in the oven.  Have to admit they are better than my grilled steaks.

Ancient Grains Jake_s10

steveschneider wrote:

Had a garlic, pasta dish with broccoli and  parmesian on it. We got this killer olive oil out in California that we put on it.

Pantry > steve
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 8:07

Cameron wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Went to my son's for dinner.  He makes killer ribeye.  Does it on the stove in hot cast iron for a couple minutes a side then finishes in the oven.  Have to admit they are better than my grilled steaks.

Ancient Grains Jake_s10

steveschneider wrote:

Had a garlic, pasta dish with broccoli and  parmesian on it. We got this killer olive oil out in California that we put on it.

Pantry > steve

You on the joe Rogan carnivore diet? You eating elk meat and drink turmeric coffee?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 8:14

steveschneider wrote:

Had a garlic, pasta dish with broccoli and parmesian on it. We got this killer olive oil out in California that we put on it.

Forgot the skillet toasted pine nuts and a whole wheat penne pasta.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 10:17

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Pantry > steve

You on the joe Rogan carnivore diet? You eating elk meat and drink turmeric coffee?

I'm not on the carnivore diet, I've never had elk, and I hardly ever drink coffee. I'm just saying a nice steak blows pasta and broccoli with "killer" olive oil out of the water.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 10:17

Steak is the most overrated meat in my opinion.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum