Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bump when these numbers move

+27
Trapper Gus
Wally Fairway
PennSpartan
Cameron
DWags
RQA
Bredo Morstoel
TrapperGus
Motown Spartan
Heat Miser
MiamiSpartan
Jake from State Farm
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Tim Wakefield
msugolfguy
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Watch Out Pylon!
Three_Putt_Par
steveschneider
31 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Bump when these numbers move - Page 17 Empty Re: Bump when these numbers move

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 15 Dec 2023 - 22:07

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

When I bought my first house, during the Reagan administration, the mortgage rate was 15%.

And tell the story again about how your first job paid 10 cents an hour back when Truman was president.

My first full time job paid about 17k, 1977.  New cars were about 3k.  

It have been pointed out that due to the Great Recession mortgage rates have been much lower than they typically were since 2008.  7% is only high for people who don't know financial history before 2008.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 21 Dec 2023 - 14:17

Remember folks, the stock market was never this high when Trump was President.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat 23 Dec 2023 - 10:45

The eight-week winning streak for the S&P 500® index (SPX) is its longest since 2017.

bump
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 3 Jan 2024 - 11:29

”The S&P 500 index returned 26% including dividends in 2023, more than 2x the average annual return of 12% since 1986.”

bump
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 10:37

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 216,000 in December, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment continued to trend up in government, health care, social assistance, and construction, while transportation and warehousing lost jobs.

In December, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls rose by 15 cents, or 0.4 percent, to $34.27. Over the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 4.1 percent. In December, average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees rose by 10 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $29.42.

The average workweek for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls edged down by 0.1 hour to 34.3 hours in December. In manufacturing, the average workweek was little changed at 39.8 hours, and overtime remained at 2.9 hours. The average workweek for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls edged down by 0.1 hour to 33.7 hours.

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for October was revised down by 45,000, from +150,000 to +105,000, and the change for November was revised down by 26,000, from +199,000 to +173,000. With these revisions, employment in October and November combined is 71,000 lower than previously reported. (Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses and government agencies since the last published estimates and from the recalculation of seasonal factors.)

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Expect the market to fall on these numbers.

bump!
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 10:47

"US added 216,000 jobs in December, unemployment remains low at 3.7%. Why this is devastating news for Joe Biden's re-election campaign".

sincerely,

the mainstream media
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 10:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:"US added 216,000 jobs in December, unemployment remains low at 3.7%. Why this is devastating news for Joe Biden's re-election campaign".

sincerely,

the mainstream media

To be fair, this news does not fair well for the stock market, which is anticipating some weaker news. 7 rates cuts are factored in for 2024 and good employment numbers runs counter to that, meaning rates will remain higher for longer and prevent the stock market from moving higher.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 11:09

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:"US added 216,000 jobs in December, unemployment remains low at 3.7%. Why this is devastating news for Joe Biden's re-election campaign".

sincerely,

the mainstream media

To be fair, this news does not fair well for the stock market, which is anticipating some weaker news. 7 rates cuts are factored in for 2024 and good employment numbers runs counter to that, meaning rates will remain higher for longer and prevent the stock market from moving higher.  
I don't know how any of that works, really, or even what it means.. I deal in the human condition. What I do know is that the mainstream media needs to get Biden out of office, like, yesterday.

that said, I admire your aptitude.  Bump when these numbers move - Page 17 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 11:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I don't know how any of that works, really, or even what it means.. I deal in the human condition. What I do know is that the mainstream media needs to get Biden out of office, like, yesterday.

that said, I admire your aptitude.  Bump when these numbers move - Page 17 969504605

I get that Bob, I really do. Ideally, no one would ever have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. I spend the majority of my day working to ensure my client's financial security for the rest of their lives and for the VAST majority of Americans, even those receiving pensions, there is a direct correlation (one could even say causation), with the performance of the stock (and bond) market.

From an economics perspective, a few more hundred thousand people without jobs right now would have a positive economic benefit to a few hundred million more people.

THAT being said...those few hundred million more people not realizing that economic benefit is why this news is likely to hamper Biden's re-election.

THAT THAT being said...for the greater good, it would be best for Biden to get re-elected vs...the other guy*, right?

THAT THAT THAT being said...a worse job report NOW would mean a lesser chance of the other guy* getting elected.

*the orange, christian, sexual assaulter and predator
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:03

As a detailed focused guy, I find it crazy that the markets pay attention to the preliminary numbers but ignore the follow ups.

Look at the downward revisions for October & November and tell me how the employment market is going great guns.

Also, these are seasonally adjusted numbers, so they are not real.

And there is the yearly season number adjustment factors modification, either it was in this report or will be the next one, which muddy things up even more. I get the "man on the street" doesn't understand but the investment professionals should.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:13

Trapper Gus wrote:As a detailed focused guy, I find it crazy that the markets pay attention to the preliminary numbers but ignore the follow ups.

Look at the downward revisions for October & November and tell me how the employment market is going great guns.

And there is the yearly season number adjustment factors modification, either it was in this report or will be the next one, which muddy things up even more. I get the "man on the street" doesn't understand but the investment professionals should.

So, as I am writing this reply, the Dow is up 146 points, the NASDAQ is up 85 points, and the S&P500 is up 27.

Instead of thinking of this from a details perspective, think of it more VERY big picture. This is a broad generalization, but put the news into two categories, GOOD news and BAD news.

The markets are pricing in BAD economic news which means all of the data and the trends are leading us to believe that there is going to be BAD economic news.

The data released today is GOOD news, or rather, it's not the BAD news that we have priced in. Really has little to no impact on today's market performance. However, the runway is getting shorter for the market to get the BAD news it is expecting and until it gets that BAD news, it's likely going to stagnate a bit.

Fastforward to election season, if we are at or near where we are today when people start voting, that doesn't bode well for the incumbent.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:23

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:As a detailed focused guy, I find it crazy that the markets pay attention to the preliminary numbers but ignore the follow ups.

So, as I am writing this reply, the Dow is up 146 points, the NASDAQ is up 85 points, and the S&P500 is up 27.

Instead of thinking of this from a details perspective, think of it more VERY big picture. This is a broad generalization, but put the news into two categories, GOOD news and BAD news.

The markets are pricing in BAD economic news which means all of the data and the trends are leading us to believe that there is going to be BAD economic news.

The data released today is GOOD news, or rather, it's not the BAD news that we have priced in. Really has little to no impact on today's market performance. However, the runway is getting shorter for the market to get the BAD news it is expecting and until it gets that BAD news, it's likely going to stagnate a bit.

Fastforward to election season, if we are at or near where we are today when people start voting, that doesn't bode well for the incumbent.

Market went up 25% in 2023, how is this bad for Biden?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:31

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I get that Bob, I really do. Ideally, no one would ever have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. I spend the majority of my day working to ensure my client's financial security for the rest of their lives and for the VAST majority of Americans, even those receiving pensions, there is a direct correlation (one could even say causation), with the performance of the stock (and bond) market.

From an economics perspective, a few more hundred thousand people without jobs right now would have a positive economic benefit to a few hundred million more people.  

THAT being said...those few hundred million more people not realizing that economic benefit is why this news is likely to hamper Biden's re-election.  

THAT THAT being said...for the greater good, it would be best for Biden to get re-elected vs...the other guy*, right?

THAT THAT THAT being said...a worse job report NOW would mean a lesser chance of the other guy* getting elected.  

I hear ya - and those are a lot of the folks I spend time with. It's tough for them and, what's possibly even worse, is that it seems about half of the population cares very little about them, a social safety net and providing them the support that they need.

oh - and the people who care very little about them are the same people who run around calling themselves the 'moral majority' and lecturing the rest of us about the sanctity of life.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:32

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Market went up 25% in 2023, how is this bad for Biden?

The market went up that much because it priced in 5-7 rate cuts in 2024. Those rate cuts won't likely come until there is a weakening labor market, below-trend economic growth, and on-target inflation. If those things don't happen, the rate cuts don't happen. If rate cuts don't happen, the market will likely give up it's 2023 gains. If the market gives up it's 2023 gains, people won't vote for Biden.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 12:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I hear ya - and those are a lot of the folks I spend time with. It's tough for them and, what's possibly even worse, is that it seems about half of the population cares very little about them, a social safety net and providing them the support that they need.

oh - and the people who care very little about them are the same people who run around calling themselves the 'moral majority' and lecturing the rest of us about the sanctity of life.

I appreciate that you advocate for those folks. It really sucks that there has to be a loser in these types of situations and that it's always the folks that are the most in need that end up losing. I truly believe we need a universal basic income but I digress.

Anyways, just trying to explain my perspective here and how, long term, this could have really bad consequences.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 13:20

Trapper Gus wrote:

Dow, S&P 500, and NASDAQ all up so far today.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 14:13

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Dow, S&P 500, and NASDAQ all up so far today.

Not anymore. Pretty much right back to where we started at 9:30 this morning.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 19:24

Looks like today's market was flat...

More new jobs than expected possible slows down the rate of Fed's rate cuts that everyone expects them to make, but flat is higher than I expected.

10 year treasuries rate is higher, so maybe the reaction will be Monday.

OTOH the preferred Fed inflation rate is below 2% for the 6 mouth number.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 20:46

Trapper Gus wrote:Looks like today's market was flat...

More new jobs than expected possible slows down the rate of Fed's rate cuts that everyone expects them to make, but flat is higher than I expected.

Follow the trends, not any one day movement.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 5 Jan 2024 - 23:45

Trapper Gus wrote:Looks like today's market was flat...

Was on the road for most of the evening and thought about this more.

The first rate cut is expected in March. If the data doesn’t support it, I would expect a market move down, the runway getting shorter and shorter. If we get into May, June, and July…I would expect correction talk, if not sooner.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat 6 Jan 2024 - 11:11

From what I read the stock market is in competition with the bond markets, and thus the higher Fed rate causes the bond markets, not directly but via some sort of voodoo magic, to have higher rates, causing them to be a lower risk and acceptable return option, which seems to be to be a self-filling expectation, meaning the bond rates go up because people think they should be higher, and not for any supply and demand reason.

Also, the 2% target for "inflation", and there the Fed can choose which "inflation" measure it is following, is a relatively recent development, as the link shows, and was adopted when the economy was being suppressed by conservative economic policies, making it somewhat questionable as a number.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/history-and-future-federal-reserves-2-percent-target-rate-inflation-0

All that said, I, in my limited knowledge, agree that the market is waiting for lower interest rates, although the 10-year treasuries have been dropping, partly on expectations and possibly partly because they are just too high on the supply & demand "curve".

It will be interesting to see if the January stock market "bump", something I just read about, will win over the expectations of the markets on what the Fed will do as the inflation numbers come in this month. My short-term prediction is that the CPI, including food & fuel, will be lower (if there are no major upsets - if the Republicans shut down the government, then nellie bar the door), probably below 3%.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Sat 6 Jan 2024 - 11:31

The stock market is not waiting for real yields to come down. The stock market is waiting specifically for interest rate cuts by the Federal Reserve.

And yes, stocks and bonds generally have an inverse relationship but it’s way more complicated than that.  

At the end of the day, after all of the noise is taken into consideration, earnings drive the stock market over the long term, and everything else is just potholes.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat 6 Jan 2024 - 23:28

My guess is, with no black swan events there will be rate cuts in 2024.  How many and how much, it depends.

With the rate cuts the markets will end up higher at the end of the year.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 25 Jan 2024 - 14:54

The S&P Average hit another high at the close yesterday - Bidenomics, am I right?

Meanwhile the GDP for the 4th quarter 2023 grew by 3.3%, only 65% more than economists were predicting. (2.0%)

I remember when during the Trumpenomics years we all were excited to see above 2%

Riden with Biden
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 25 Jan 2024 - 15:05

BTW the numbers we are seeing should put a dagger through the heart of the concept of supply side economics.

The demand side boost from the pandemic relief bills plus Biden's demand supporting legislation and executive order support are showing it is demand that drives the economy, not supply.  Silly economists (rabbits), that should have been obvious all along.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 25 Jan 2024 - 19:07

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that GDP expanded 3.1 percent in 2023, a year that began with heavy odds of a recession and closed out with fourth-quarter growth that blew away projections.

Trump never made it to 3% in a year.

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/25/gdp-report-us-economy-inflation-cooldown

That represents an acceleration from 0.7% GDP growth in 2022, and trounced the growth rates of most other advanced countries — and the 1.8%-ish rate that economists consider the United States' long-term trend.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 26 Jan 2024 - 11:52

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Federal Reserve’s preferred inflation gauge cooled further last month even as the economy kept growing briskly, a trend sure to be welcomed at the White House as President Joe Biden seeks re-election in a race that could pivot on his economic stewardship.

Friday’s government report showed that prices rose just 0.2% from November to December, a pace consistent with pre-pandemic levels and barely above the Fed’s 2% annual target. Measured from a year earlier, prices increased 2.6%.

Excluding volatile food and energy costs, so-called “core” prices rose just 0.2% from month to month and 2.9% from a year earlier — the smallest such rise since March 2021. Economists consider core prices a better gauge of the likely path of inflation.

BUMP!
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 31 Jan 2024 - 12:35

[tw]1752041273140068519[/tw]

Earth to Trump

While the markets do react to election news, it is not until August or even closer to the election that this occurs.

Right now the markets are reacting to the numbers in the economy and the hope the Fed will lower interest rates.

Bump
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 2 Feb 2024 - 10:37

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 353,000 in January, and the unemployment rate remained at 3.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in professional and business services, health care, retail trade, and social assistance. Employment declined in the mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction industry.

In January, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls rose by 19 cents, or 0.6 percent, to $34.55. Over the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 4.5 percent. In January, average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees rose by 13 cents, or 0.4 percent, to $29.66.

The average workweek for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls decreased by 0.2 hour to 34.1 hours in January and is down by 0.5 hour over the year. In manufacturing, the average workweek was unchanged at 39.8 hours, and overtime edged down by 0.1 hour to 2.7 hours. The average workweek for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls decreased by 0.2 hour to 33.5 hours.

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for November was revised up by 9,000, from +173,000 to +182,000, and the change for December was revised up by 117,000, from +216,000 to +333,000. With these revisions, employment in November and December combined is 126,000 higher than previously reported. (Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses and government agencies since the last published estimates and from the recalculation of seasonal factors. The annual benchmark process also contributed to the November and December revisions.)

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Typically I don't comment in this post, but holy crap!  The top line number is over twice what was expected.

Meanwhile, the labor force participation rate — the share of workers with or looking for a job — was 62.5% in January.
Average hourly earnings, a measure of wage growth, soared by 0.6%. Over the past 12 month, average hourly earnings increased by 4.5%.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/02/us-jobs-report-january-2024

Bump!
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 2 Feb 2024 - 17:35

"America adds 353,000 jobs in January and why this is terrible news for the Biden campaign".

sincerely,

mainstream media
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 9 Feb 2024 - 22:12

(Friday market close) The S&P 500® index (SPX) posted its third consecutive daily record close and settled above 5,000 for the first time ever Friday as big technology shares extended a march higher and investors remained buoyed by the outlook for the economy and interest rates.

bump
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 18:27

No bump today?

https://apnews.com/article/stock-market-holiday-inflation-9c318e69c5e122243d9474c7609c31f8
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 19:23

TravelinMan wrote:No bump today?

https://apnews.com/article/stock-market-holiday-inflation-9c318e69c5e122243d9474c7609c31f8

Only a 1.4% drop and it was pretty much expected with the market over bought, with a 5% gain in 42 days, just waiting for a trigger and Inflation at 3.1%, down from 3.4% last month, instead of 3.0% did it.

(To be fair maybe the latest Trump attack on Biden scared investors that Trump could win, and that did it - lol)

You forgot the

BUMP
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 20:44

I’m not sure bumping this thread 24hrs after the all time high is the power post you think it is.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 21:27

kingstonlake wrote:I’m not sure bumping this thread 24hrs after the all time high is the power post you think it is.

Power post? No, of course not. But the biggest one day drop in almost a year due to (still more) inflation fears? Worth noting.

Or like Trapper said, maybe it's Trump's fault.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 22:33

TravelinMan wrote:No bump today?

bump

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 22:34

TravelinMan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I’m not sure bumping this thread 24hrs after the all time high is the power post you think it is.

Power post? No, of course not. But the biggest one day drop in almost a year due to (still more) inflation fears? Worth noting.

dude, you're back.

I assume you've been working hard?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 22:35

To be fair, republicans/libertarians are also celebrating genocide, so...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 9:35

TravelinMan wrote:

Everything I read say the bonds v stocks are the reason, which technically are interest rates which are indirectly inflation.

Too bad the Fed can't just step in and fine corporations for greedfation instead, it would be more direct control.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 10:20

TravelinMan wrote:

Inflation fears? Don't worry TM, I've been told it's just transitory.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next