Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time?

+2
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
6 posters

Go down

Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time? Empty Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time?

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-22, 11:24

Kingston Lake sez hellz yeah!

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time? Empty Re: Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time?

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-22, 11:29

When compared to the otherworldly rock anthem “Don’t tell me you love me” it was the perfect juxtaposition in style. It deserves consideration.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time? Empty Re: Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time?

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-22, 11:31

kingstonlake wrote:When compared to the otherworldly rock anthem “Don’t tell me you love me” it was the perfect juxtaposition in style. It deserves consideration.

Aw, man, now you’re just taking all the fun out of this thread.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-22, 11:36

I think you’ve miscategorized it. It’s a POWER ballad as opposed to a ROCK ballad. Definitely not the greatest ROCK ballad, but the argument for POWER ballad could be made.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-22, 11:43

Motown Spartan wrote:I think you’ve miscategorized it. It’s a POWER ballad as opposed to a ROCK ballad. Definitely not the greatest ROCK ballad, but the argument for POWER ballad could be made.

Mind blown.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-22, 11:56

"Sister Christian" is the best power ballad of all-time. Other contenders might be:

"I Remember You" - Skid Row
"Alone Again" - Dokken
"Home Sweet Home" - Motley Crue
"Never Say Goodbye" - Bon Jovi
"Love Bites" - Def Leppard
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-22, 11:58

I will say that "Sister Christian" has one major flaw though.. and that is the missing cymbal crash at 3:38.

There has to be a cymbal crash there. It's almost unforgivable.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-22, 12:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I will say that "Sister Christian" has one major flaw though.. and that is the missing cymbal crash at 3:38.

I can’t disagree with you, but when the vocals come back in at 3:39 you can’t have the decay of the cymbal crash on top of the vocals AT ALL. How do you remedy that? A couple extra silent beats before the vocals? You can’t choke the cymbal there, it wouldn’t have the same impact.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-22, 12:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote: "Sister Christian" is the best power ballad of all-time. Other contenders might be:

"Alone Again" - Dokken

+1 on Dokken. Even though Don Dokken is a douche bag.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-22, 12:16

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: "Sister Christian" is the best power ballad of all-time. Other contenders might be:

"Alone Again" - Dokken

+1 on Dokken. Even though Don Dokken is a douche bag.
yeah, but "Alone Again" fits the criteria.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-22, 12:19

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I will say that "Sister Christian" has one major flaw though.. and that is the missing cymbal crash at 3:38.

I can’t disagree with you, but when the vocals come back in at 3:39 you can’t have the decay of the cymbal crash on top of the vocals AT ALL. How do you remedy that? A couple extra silent beats before the vocals? You can’t choke the cymbal there, it wouldn’t have the same impact.  
yeah, when the vocals come in right there, it does resolve the melody of the song. I like your idea of a couple of extra beats allowing the crash to dissipate. And, you're right - no cymbal choke there. Gotta be a crash.

me and my buddies debated this endlessly back in the day. Driving around drinking Miller High Life pony bottles. We were wearing jeans, band t-shirts.. mullets. Good times.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-06-22, 12:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

yeah, when the vocals come in right there, it does resolve the melody of the song. I like your idea of a couple of extra beats allowing the crash to dissipate. And, you're right - no cymbal choke there. Gotta be a crash.

me and my buddies debated this endlessly back in the day. Driving around drinking Miller High Life pony bottles. We were wearing jeans, band t-shirts.. mullets. Good times.

I just re-listened to that part about 10 times with my eyes closed envisioning this. Fucking beautiful scene man!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-22, 12:36

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I just re-listened to that part about 10 times with my eyes closed envisioning this. Fucking beautiful scene man!!
Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time? 969504605

So cool. Me and my buddies had a lot of great times when we were kids. Drink beer, chase girls (not sure what we would've done had we caught one), music cranked.. summer workouts getting ready for football seasons. All the important stuff Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-06-22, 13:14

Best scene in Boogie Nights.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-22, 14:10

Motown Spartan wrote:I think you’ve miscategorized it. It’s a POWER ballad as opposed to a ROCK ballad. Definitely not the greatest ROCK ballad, but the argument for POWER ballad could be made.

I stand corrupted.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-06-22, 21:54

tGreenWay wrote:

I stand corrupted.
Actually less of a stand and more of a slouch....
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-06-22, 23:30

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I stand corrupted.
Actually less of a stand and more of a slouch....

Only my belly sags. Well, my belly and my manboobs. It’s just my belly and my manboobs that sag. And my ass. But that’s it; only my belly and my manboobs and my ass sag, and that’s it. My belly, my manboobs, and my ass all sag, and that’s it. And my eyelids. But that’s it; just my belly, and my manboobs, my ass, and my eyelids.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-09-15, 18:42

Is Night Ranger’s Sister Christian the greatest rock ballad of all time? B3bf9710
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-15, 19:09

I'll never forgive them for the absence of a cymbal crash.

Mistakes were made.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-09-15, 19:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'll never forgive them for the absence of a cymbal crash.

Mistakes were made.

We’ve been over this Bob. The vocals simply must come in during silence. The cymbal crash would be appropriate as long as you’re willing to still add the pregnant pause afterwards. It’s not as simple as adding a cymbal crash.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down