Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
9 posters

Go down

1984   Empty 1984

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

Probably going to have to dust off this classic pretty soon. I've read it twice and I think it's one of those works of art that I gain something from it each time. Curious to see what I gain from it during the age of Trump.

There's so much from it that applies to these days. 2 + 2 =5, how the people are lead to believe they've always been at war with Eurasia but this guy remembers clearly five years ago they were at war with East Asia. How they live in a perpetual spy state and how at the end of the book he's forced to say he loves Big Brother.

There's something about Trump ripping on masks, leading his followers to hate masks, to see morons like Aubrey Huff get all macho about his freedumb to not wear one and then on a moments notice all of a sudden it's 'patriotic to wear a mask' because Trump says so.

What a fucked up time to be alive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

1984   Empty Re: 1984

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 am

Have you read Brave New World? Recently read it for the first time (that I remember) and it was great. One of the best books I've read, I reckon.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Have you read Brave New World? Recently read it for the first time (that I remember) and it was great. One of the best books I've read, I reckon.

Yes, I loved it but don't remember it well. Read it back in the 90's. I read another one of his books called 'Island' that I remember liking as well. Also, I stayed at a retreat in Ojai California that he spent some time at. That's a great hippy town in a valley.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Bless You Boys
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Welcome to 2016 steve.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Rocinante wrote:Welcome to 2016 steve.

It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the last four years. He warned about so many things we see happening these days.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:31 am

Just got through chapter 1 and the book holds up. It had me at the first sentence 'It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen'.

The whole thing written in 1949 seems like the playbook for suppressing the masses and keeping people obedient in corporate culture.

The thought police, the two minute hate (a rally where the crowd expresses their disgust with the underground leader of the resistance', the party slogan 'War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength'. Also, powerful the first act of rebelion Winston Smith decided to keep a journal of his thoughts and in it takes a guess at what year it is. There are no historical records in Oceania, no dates or sense of time but Winston guesses that it is Aprli 1984.

Last edited by steveschneider on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 pm

America is a stupid country.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Please post your summaries of each chapter steve.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 am

Rocinante wrote:Please post your summaries of each chapter steve.

I detect some condescension in that post. Can’t some one just enjoy a book these days without someone coming along and belittling them?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 am

Steve, you’re not going to agree with me and I guess on some level that’s the whole point.... but when you get to the bits about the dangers of blind loyalty to leaders and group think I think it might be a good idea to think about it with some introspection instead of thinking that the only way this book applies to today only has to do with them over there on the other side in Eurasia or in trumpland or Eastasia or wherever but definitely not you because your leaders are good and trustworthy and would never harm you and you love them.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Steve, you’re not going to agree with me and I guess on some level that’s the whole point.... but when you get to the bits about the dangers of blind loyalty to leaders and group think I think it might be a good idea to think about it with some introspection instead of thinking that the only way this book applies to today only has to do with them over there on the other side in Eurasia or in trumpland or Eastasia or wherever but definitely not you because your leaders are good and trustworthy and would never harm you and you love them.

Not so fast, I think your message is spot on. For one the whole spy state theme in the book is chilling and if you think about our own spy state well it was strengthened by Obama and a lot of the liberals in silicon valley.

I'm highly critical of our government in general, corporate power, the wealthy, the police, the greedy lawyers, the media and I think at the core the whole system is fucked.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am

Well 1984 certainly speaks to government over reach and a totalitarian government. that's not disputed. We certainly have government over reach by both sides of the isle. I think the one difference is, if you really are going to have a totalitarian type of government, you need the army on your side. I never thought the army would be on the side of a left liberal government, but in the end, who ever is in power could certainly convince the army that they need to put down riots, and calm our streets etc.

We're all fucked gentlemen. Go ahead and make fun of my age. at least I have less than two decades of this shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:31 am

DWags wrote:Well 1984 certainly speaks to government over reach and a totalitarian government.   that's not disputed.  We certainly have government over reach by both sides of the isle.  I think the one difference is, if you really are going to have a totalitarian  type of government, you need the army on your side.  I never thought the army would be on the side of a left liberal government, but in the end, who ever is in power could certainly convince the army that they need to put down riots, and calm our streets etc.  

We're all fucked gentlemen.  Go ahead and make fun of my age.   at least I have less than two decades of this shit.  

Agreed. I'm in the early part of the book, but a huge part of the control in 1984 as well besides the military is the thought police and the fear of getting ratted out. In the first chapter Winston has a moment of disbelief where he can't believe what's going on during that moment he makes eye contact with O'brien and he's like wow O'brien feels the same way and then he gets terrified that people will know what he's thinking so he averts his eyes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 am

We already have a ministry of truth up and running.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:We already have a ministry of truth up and running.

Can you expand upon that? Genuinely interested.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:49 am

steveschneider wrote:

Fox News.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am

steveschneider wrote:

The ministry of truth is the propoganda arm of the government. Much like trump's twitter feed, Fox News, OAN, Breitbart, all the Russian twitter bots, so on and so forth.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:06 pm

In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy.

It's a staggering work of genius. I read Down and Out in Paris and London as well. Both are great books.

"Winston, now free, sits at the Chestnut Tree Café, where dismissed Party members go to drink. He enjoys a glass of Victory Gin and watches the telescreen. He accepts everything the Party says and does. Without acknowledging it to himself, he can still smell the rats. On the table, Winston traces “2 + 2 = 5” in the dust. He remembers seeing Julia on a bitter-cold day that March. She had thickened and stiffened, and he now found the thought of sex with her repulsive. "
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down