Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welp got a mouse in the house

+16
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Bill Cain
Nordic
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
MSU addict
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
The Pantry
aualum06
NigelUno
steveschneider
Turtleneck
DWags
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welp got a mouse in the house Empty Welp got a mouse in the house

Post by DWags 2020-08-06, 20:01

Thought it was funny our 7 year old cat kept sniffing by the sink and staring at the air grate. She likes to smell a breeze when the window is open, but would stare at the grate. So last week we had a new disposal put in. My wife cleaned under the sink for the guy to come. Today the polish lady we pay 100 bucks every three weeks to clean the bathrooms kitchen stuff like that is yellin for my wife in her thick accent. Moss poops! Moss poops! The wife says sure as shit (pun intended) there were droppings under there. I got traps will set tonight. Wife and 20 year old are bummed cause we need to kill it. Wife kind of blames me cause sometimes I don’t shut the screen door on the deck if I go get another drink at night. She says that’s how it happens. I tried to explain they can come in from sprinkle pipes or many ways. She’s not having it. It’s my fault murder has to take place in the kitchen tonight.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Welp got a mouse in the house Empty Re: Welp got a mouse in the house

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-06, 20:20

tl;dr

Is this about the fictitious band Mouse Trap or the real band String Cheese Incident?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-06, 20:30

Just let the cat do what the cat does best. You have all the mouse protection you need. Reward with cat nip after the kill.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-06, 20:36

Might be a circus mouse.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-06, 20:50

steveschneider wrote:Just let the cat do what the cat does best. You have all the mouse protection you need. Reward with cat nip after the kill.

My cat doesn't like em dead they arent as fun to chase when dead
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-06, 21:14

I think DWags is trying to tell us Mouse Davis is his new roommate.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-06, 21:18

Moss poops? You likely have 3 or more. Set traps accordingly.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-06, 21:20

The Pantry wrote:Moss poops? You likely have 3 or more. Set traps accordingly.

Or is Randy Moss his new roommate...?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-06, 21:21

I’ve just set two traps. They are different than the old wooden ones. One in the garage one under the sink. A murder will take place tonight. I’m not happy but what are my options. I hope they don’t squeal too loud. My 20 year old says she’s not coming home tonight. Staying at her boyfriends. She wants nothing to do with it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-06, 21:32

City mouse or country mouse?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-06, 21:43

tGreenWay wrote:City mouse or country mouse?

How can you tell?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-08-06, 21:46

DWags wrote:

How can you tell?
Their pants.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-06, 21:57

DWags wrote:

How can you tell?

Joe is kind of correct. Country mouse wears bib overalls. City mouse is in skinny jeans.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-08-06, 21:59

DWags wrote:I’ve just set two traps.  They are different than the old wooden ones. One in the garage one under the sink. A murder will take place tonight.  I’m not happy but what are my options. I hope they don’t squeal too loud. My 20 year old says she’s not coming home tonight. Staying at her boyfriends. She wants nothing to do with it.  
What kind of traps did you set?  FWIW, it has been my experience that the old wooden ones work best.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-08-06, 22:02

!2 guage or a .22 magnum / 20 guage over under?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-06, 22:06

MSU addict wrote:
DWags wrote:I’ve just set two traps.  They are different than the old wooden ones. One in the garage one under the sink. A murder will take place tonight.  I’m not happy but what are my options. I hope they don’t squeal too loud. My 20 year old says she’s not coming home tonight. Staying at her boyfriends. She wants nothing to do with it.  
What kind of traps did you set?  FWIW, it has been my experience that the old wooden ones work best.

They look to get the mouse to crawl all the way inside. Then it snaps. The whole trap is plastic and seems like the murder takes place inside and I just have to pick it up and throw it away.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-06, 22:55

DWags wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

They look to get the mouse to crawl all the way inside. Then it snaps. The whole trap is plastic and seems like the murder takes place inside and I just have to pick it up and throw it away.

Used those a few times. Seemed to recall they worked most of the time. They’re not cheap, though. I went back to the basic wooden traps. I know a few people who reuse the wooden ones. That’s not for me. Welp got a mouse in the house 502811600 Welp got a mouse in the house 1401550746

btw: I just ordered a case of traps (64) through amazon. Found moss poop at both ends of the house, both in my garage and workshop. Normally wouldn’t buy anyway near that many, but the days of running up to Ace just to grab a couple packs are gone for now. They’ll last for years, so minus well have them.

I do hate killing the things, but my wife would force us to move if she ever saw a mouse, so it’s him or me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-06, 23:15

Mrs. GreenWay planted the mice as an excuse to get away from GreenWay.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-06, 23:19

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Used those a few times. Seemed to recall they worked most of the time. They’re not cheap, though. I went back to the basic wooden traps. I know a few people who reuse the wooden ones. That’s not for me. Welp got a mouse in the house 502811600 Welp got a mouse in the house 1401550746

btw: I just ordered a case of traps (64) through amazon. Found moss poop at both ends of the house, both in my garage and workshop. Normally wouldn’t buy anyway near that many, but the days of running up to Ace just to grab a couple packs are gone for now. They’ll last for years, so minus well have them.

I do hate killing the things, but my wife would force us to move if she ever saw a mouse, so it’s him or me.

Yeah I’m assuming there is never just one or two. I’m guessing this battle goes well into fall. Exterminator or just do it on my own?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-07, 00:07

Turtleneck wrote:tl;dr

Is this about the fictitious band Mouse Trap or the real band String Cheese Incident?

Maybe it’s a Modest Mouse and DWags will never find this shy pooper.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-07, 00:19

Turtleneck wrote:Mrs. GreenWay planted the mice as an excuse to get away from GreenWay.

How would that work?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-07, 00:23

Ever notice how mice never follow the age old advice of never shitting where you eat? They dumb.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-07, 00:42

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah I’m assuming there is never just one or two. I’m guessing this battle goes well into fall. Exterminator or just do it on my own?

The exterminator will probably only lay out glue traps and mousey motels, then toss those edible rat poison pouches around the attic. I don’t like either the glue traps or the rat poison. The glue seems extra cruel and isn’t always effective, anyway. The poison pouches are effective, but since rat poison is warfarin, the blood thinner, they’ll just bleed out and die, often in the walls. At least the wood traps are quick and almost always effective. You can do traps for way less money.
btw, like someone said above, leaving the door open isn’t letting in mice, but you run the risk of letting in bats.
The other thing you need to do is walk all around the exterior of your house and seal (caulk) or plug (steel wool) into cracks and any other openings. That’s the main way mice (and sometimes birds and bats) get in. There’s a readily available grade of steel wool that’s specifically recommended for rodents. Get the recommended grade because if you use a softer grade, it can be chewed through. If you use it outside and the wool is exposed to the elements, you’ll have to replace it every couple of years because it rusts and breaks down. Pro Tip: The expanding foam is useless in preventing mice and other wildlife.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-07, 00:59

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yeah I’m assuming there is never just one or two. I’m guessing this battle goes well into fall.  Exterminator or just do it on my own?  

The exterminator will probably only lay out glue traps and mousey motels, then toss those edible rat poison pouches around the attic.  I don’t like either the glue traps or the rat poison. The glue seems extra cruel and isn’t always effective, anyway. The poison pouches are effective, but since rat poison is warfarin, the blood thinner, they’ll just bleed out and die, often in the walls. At least the wood traps are quick and almost always effective. You can do traps for way less money.
btw, like someone said above, leaving the door open isn’t letting in mice, but you run the risk of letting in bats.
The other thing you need to do is walk all around the exterior of your house and seal (caulk) or plug (steel wool) into cracks and any other openings. That’s the main way mice (and sometimes birds and bats) get in. There’s a readily available grade of steel wool that’s specifically recommended for rodents. Get the recommended grade because if you use a softer grade, it can be chewed through. If you use it outside and the wool is exposed to the elements, you’ll have to replace it every couple of years because it rusts and breaks down. Pro Tip: The expanding foam is useless in preventing mice and other wildlife.

You've thought a lot about killing animals
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-07, 01:24

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The exterminator will probably only lay out glue traps and mousey motels, then toss those edible rat poison pouches around the attic.  I don’t like either the glue traps or the rat poison. The glue seems extra cruel and isn’t always effective, anyway. The poison pouches are effective, but since rat poison is warfarin, the blood thinner, they’ll just bleed out and die, often in the walls. At least the wood traps are quick and almost always effective. You can do traps for way less money.

You've thought a lot about killing animals

As I mentioned earlier, it’s him or me. When Mrs. GreenWay sees a mouse, her first instinct is to call our Realtor.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-07, 07:21

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

The exterminator will probably only lay out glue traps and mousey motels, then toss those edible rat poison pouches around the attic. I don’t like either the glue traps or the rat poison. The glue seems extra cruel and isn’t always effective, anyway. The poison pouches are effective, but since rat poison is warfarin, the blood thinner, they’ll just bleed out and die, often in the walls. At least the wood traps are quick and almost always effective. You can do traps for way less money.

This is good advice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-07, 07:23

Update on Mr. Jingles?

Welp got a mouse in the house Tenor
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-07, 08:11

Peanutbutter and trap still there. No mouse. Should I try jelly?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2020-08-07, 09:19

That’s why you buy a shotgun
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-08-07, 09:19

DWags wrote:Peanutbutter and trap still there. No mouse.  Should I try jelly?
Peanut butter is good, especially short term.  Jelly is not a good idea.  Sticky candy (caramel, gum drops, the inside of a snickers bar) also works very well and seems to have better longevity.  Some people say marshmallows, which I have found work very well for trapping racoons - mice not so much.

Most mice are skittish, the bold ones don't live very long.  They don't like to go in things if they don't have to and will avoid human scent and new things if they can.  That is why I have found the old school traps work the best, especially with something sticky so it is tough for them to clean it without tripping it.

FWIW, I think tGreenWay's comments about exterminators are pretty spot on.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-07, 09:39

Really guys???

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-08-07, 10:17

If it’s any consolation, we have had a bear sighting and a cougar sighting in our neighborhood in the past week.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-07, 10:25

Welp got a mouse in the house Chron-1024x768
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-08-07, 10:34

Bette be careful, D Wags, Disney is going to sue your ass.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-07, 10:36

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Mrs. GreenWay planted the mice as an excuse to get away from GreenWay.

How would that work?

She plants the mice, she sees the mice, then she tells you that you are not adequately protecting her or the house, and she moves into Bob's guest house.

Then you become lonely and distraught, catch a mouse, inject yourself with mouse DNA, turn into a mouse human hybrid, and spend your remaining days living in the sewers of EL.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-07, 10:39

Motown Spartan wrote:If it’s any consolation, we have had a cougar sighting in our neighborhood in the past week.

Was she hot?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-07, 10:45

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Really guys???

God I miss that man. Not the shell of himself the last year, but that guy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-08-07, 11:02

DWags wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:If it’s any consolation, we have had a cougar sighting in our neighborhood in the past week.

Was she hot?

8/10 would bang
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-07, 11:06

kill the little bastard(s).

don't leave it up to the cat.. it's more fun alive than dead to the cat.

I always have a couple of traps set in the basement using peanut butter. Depending on the time of year, I keep a close eye on them. I hate those little bastards.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-08-07, 12:55

Well, looks like Bob's guest house is out of the question.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next