Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting

5 posters

Go down

Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting Empty Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting

Post by GRR Spartan 19/10/20, 09:51 am

Mike Emrick is retiring after 47 years of announcing hockey.  Got his first play by play job in the early 70’s with the Port Huron Flags.  Solid announcer with one of the best vocabularies I ever heard rarely repeating descriptions in a game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/mike-doc-emrick-announces-retirement-hockey-play-play-broadcaster

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 19/10/20, 08:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting Empty Re: Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting

Post by Floyd Robertson 19/10/20, 09:54 am

Posted in the NHL thread but I'll add it here, cause vocabulary.

[tw]1318185218013057026[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting Empty Re: Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting

Post by Motown Spartan 19/10/20, 09:57 am

He was the best of anyone across all sports.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 19/10/20, 10:01 am

Motown Spartan wrote:He was the best of anyone across all sports.

In his five decades, I can only think of a few that I enjoyed more.

Keith Jackson
Ernie Harwell
Vin Scully
Brent Musburger
Bruce Martyn

I'm probably forgetting a couple, but my point is, Emrick is definitely a legend.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 19/10/20, 12:24 pm

This is a tough one man, he's really the only play by play voice of hockey that I like listening to, he was a friggin artiste calling the game. It sucks because he's going out after a rough row of games calling them from his home. He really had a hard time identifying players and at points the action that was taking place, hopefully, this didn't factor into his decision. Either way, what was always such a nice surprise is that he seemed to have a strong affinity to Michigan born players and MSU players as well. Always throwing in historical tidbits from a players youth, whether they were playing in Muskegon or Grosse Pointe or Detroit, etc etc

Mike “Doc” Emrick retiring from Broadcasting 4177874726
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 19/10/20, 01:04 pm

He can never hold a candle to Bob Cole for me, but was a really good back up option, which was appreciated when I moved away from Michigan and couldn't get CBC regularly. It was always cool the references he'd make to random youth/junior teams from Michigan.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down