Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed?

+8
kingstonlake
steveschneider
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
Nordic
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? Empty If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed?

Post by DWags 2021-03-16, 11:50

Has this been asked?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? Empty Re: If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-03-16, 11:55

I don't know if it's been asked here, but I have heard/read somewhere else that, yes, a 'replacement' school would replace not only the effected team but they would slide in as that seed.

on one hand, it sounds ridiculous. On the other hand, if you didn't do it like that, someone would practically have to re-seed the entire field.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? Empty Re: If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed?

Post by NigelUno 2021-03-16, 16:24

Louisville only gets in if a team is out before 6:00 tonight.

Which is doubtful.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-16, 17:40

Depends. Would Louisville draw better ratings than said one seed?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 17:59

Nordic wrote:Depends. Would Louisville draw better ratings than said one seed?

Would depend whether Louisville replaced its current coach with Rick Pitino or Denny Crum. Obv, Pitino would be the bigger ratings draw.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-03-16, 18:04

tGreenWay wrote:

Would depend whether Louisville replaced its current coach with Rick Pitino or Denny Crum. Obv, Pitino would be the bigger ratings draw.

I don’t know, with Denny CBS wouldn’t get just crumbs.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-03-16, 18:08

tGreenWay wrote:

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 18:13

I will note one thing about ratings...I cringe when I see prominent Spartans whining on twitter about Syracuse having a better seeding.

"Syracuse doesn't have as many quad one wins" pffft.

They don't but they draw better ratings in a major market.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-16, 18:20

steveschneider wrote:I will note one thing about ratings...I cringe when I see prominent Spartans whining on twitter about Syracuse having a better seeding.

Is that > = < than constantly complaining about officiating within the first five minutes of every game ?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 18:25

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I will note one thing about ratings...I cringe when I see prominent Spartans whining on twitter about Syracuse having a better seeding.

Is that > = < than constantly complaining about officiating within the first five minutes of every game ?

That’s a good question. I think bracketology is the softest of all sciences and I think people should know better so I’d say it is worse. Reffing I believe can be improved and fans should demand better.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-16, 18:49

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

lol! well played
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-16, 18:49

Stay off Twitter Steve
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 18:52

Nordic wrote:

Stay off Twitter Steve

I don’t know man my act has worn out here. Think I’m going to get driven off the board. Twitter may be it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-03-16, 19:09

Syracuse has a quad 3 loss
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 19:33

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t know, with Denny CBS wouldn’t get just crumbs.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-03-16, 20:06

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Stay off Twitter Steve

I don’t know man my act has worn out here. Think I’m going to get driven off the board. Twitter may be it.

You will have to walk or bike because nobody here is giving you a ride off the board, Steve.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-16, 20:09

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Stay off Twitter Steve

Toughen up buttercup. It's tournament season.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 20:36

Syracuse is a better ratings draw than MSU?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-16, 21:25

tGreenWay wrote:

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? FVzsfsU
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-03-16, 21:40

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

You will have to walk or bike because nobody here is giving you a ride off the board, Steve.

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? 1966794946
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 22:06

tGreenWay wrote:

Easily.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-03-16, 22:16

tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe because of the NYC market? It’s hours away, but they have a large following across the state. I don’t know. Or maybe it’s all the bears that break into cabins in WNY and the ADKs to watch Syracuse.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 22:24

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Easily.

I was skeptical with your first statement. I flat out don’t believe you with this one. Source it, sucker.

Fucking Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 22:30

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe because of the NYC market? It’s hours away, but they have a large following across the state. I don’t know. Or maybe it’s all the bears that break into cabins in WNY and the ADKs to watch Syracuse.

Ding ding ding. Winner.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 22:35

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe because of all the bear B&Es, otherwise, it seems Steve’s geographic bias is showing. MSU is a much larger public school with many more graduates globally. In addition to viewership in in large cities in this state, it’s well represented in Chicago. Plus, while this is just a hunch, the Midwest is overall more interested in college athletics, especially conference schools. Syracuse may be the favorite draw in NY, but I’ll bet NYC viewers prefers their pro teams much more than college games. Let’s not forget how MSU holds or held tv ratings records for years.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-16, 22:41

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Maybe because of all the bear B&Es, otherwise, it seems Steve’s geographic bias is showing. MSU is a much larger public school with many more graduates globally. In addition to viewership in in large cities in this state, it’s well represented in Chicago. Plus, while this is just a hunch, the Midwest is overall more interested in college athletics, especially conference schools. Syracuse may be the favorite draw in NY, but I’ll bet NYC viewers prefers their pot teams much more than college games. Let’s not forget how MSU holds or held tv ratings records for years.

When Rutgers football was rolling in the 00's they crushed the ratings on ESPN. Absolutely dominated. You will probably laugh but they were the biggest draw for CFB on ESPN.

I couldn't believe it but the data doesn't lie. I remember that game vs Cincinnati with a coach I forget his name...at any rate that game was on Thursday night and it blew it out with the ratings and the Empire State building was done up in the school colors.  MSU can not compete with a popular regional team in this market on a national level. Rutgers used to outperform all the big hitters on ESPN back then and I'm talking blue bloods. I'll back it up tomorrow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-03-16, 22:44

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe because of all the bear B&Es, otherwise, it seems Steve’s geographic bias is showing. MSU is a much larger public school with many more graduates globally. In addition to viewership in in large cities in this state, it’s well represented in Chicago. Plus, while this is just a hunch, the Midwest is overall more interested in college athletics, especially conference schools. Syracuse may be the favorite draw in NY, but I’ll bet NYC viewers prefers their pot teams much more than college games. Let’s not forget how MSU holds or held tv ratings records for years.

When Rutgers football was rolling in the 00's they crushed the ratings on ESPN. Absolutely dominated. You will probably laugh but they were the biggest draw for CFB on ESPN.

I couldn't believe it but the data doesn't lie. I remember that game vs Cincinnati with a coach I forget his name...at any rate that game was on Thursday night and it blew it out with the ratings and the Empire State building was done up in the school colors.  MSU can not compete with a popular regional team in this market on a national level. Rutgers used to outperform all the big hitters on ESPN back then and I'm talking blue bloods. I’ll back it up tomorrow.

This is Steve for I’m never going to do what I said I was going to do.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-16, 23:17

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I couldn't believe it but the data doesn't lie. I remember that game vs Cincinnati with a coach I forget his name...at any rate that game was on Thursday night and it blew it out with the ratings and the Empire State building was done up in the school colors.  MSU can not compete with a popular regional team in this market on a national level. Rutgers used to outperform all the big hitters on ESPN back then and I'm talking blue bloods. I'll back it up tomorrow.

I await your data.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-17, 01:52

*delelte, see below*

Last edited by Nordic on 2021-03-17, 02:35; edited 3 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-03-17, 02:17

I'm not sure how comparing Rutgers football at it's peak chopping wood to a middling Syracuse hoops team correlates, but here is Steve's smoking gun that Syracuse eyeballs > MSU eyeballs this week:

Remembering the Night Rutgers and Louisville Were at the Center of College Football, 12 Years Later (2006 undefeated Rutgers vs. Undefeated Louisville. he matchup also featured the third-largest TV audience in ESPN’s college football broadcast history—4.9 million households)
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-17, 06:27

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Easily.

So they opted for the lower ratings MSU for the made for TV ratings grab Thursday night game?

I'd bet being in Indy since last Wednesday played a bigger role in the matchup.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-17, 08:22

Nordic wrote:I'm not sure how comparing Rutgers football at it's peak chopping wood to a middling Syracuse hoops team correlates, but here is Steve's smoking gun that Syracuse eyeballs > MSU eyeballs this week:

Remembering the Night Rutgers and Louisville Were at the Center of College Football, 12 Years Later (2006 undefeated Rutgers vs. Undefeated Louisville. he matchup also featured the third-largest TV audience in ESPN’s college football broadcast history—4.9 million households)

Good read and shows how bad my memory was. I thought they played Coach D's team and lost on that Thursday ugh. It was the next game where Coach D knocked them down a peg.

I found this one that punches a hole in the whole Rutgers being a tv ratings powerhouse which was a thing back then:

https://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2380/does-rutgers-really-bring-in-nyc-market

"Frank, who likely has negotiated more sports television deals than anyone, says he doesn’t buy the data that speaks of Rutgers popularity in New York City.

“Call a bookie in New York City and ask them how many bets they took on Rutgers,” Frank said. “That will give you an idea of how popular they are.”" If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? 502811600 .

Regarding Syracuse -

My hunch is based on their popularity in the region, the size of the tv market and the popularity of basketball in the region.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-17, 08:23

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Easily.

So they opted for the lower ratings MSU for the made for TV ratings grab Thursday night game?

How big is UCLA's market?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-17, 08:53

Also, I made it clear I didn't even look at bracketology or Lunardi or any of the quad one wins stuff. I'm also not a tv ratings expert, I'm just doing a very surface level common sense approach to this stuff.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-03-17, 09:12

This would be the year to try a soccer style of playoff with every team in the same state, but alas. I think it would be crazy fun to try.

For the uninitiated- there are no seeds or whatever in most soccer playoffs. After every round there’s a random drawing for who plays who next. Usually the first round is somewhat controlled (think conference winners can’t be drawn against each other or something) but then after that it’s all open and you could have Baylor vs Gonzaga in the second round. Would it be better than guessing at seeds and forcing match ups for RaTiNgS? I dunno, but I think it would be kinda fun
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-17, 09:24

steveschneider wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Irrelevant. UCLA will attract the west coast market either way. The comparison is Syracuse/MSU. If Syracuse is "easily" a better ratings draw than MSU, why did the NCAA chose MSU over them?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-17, 10:47

steveschneider wrote:Also, I made it clear I didn't even look at bracketology or Lunardi or any of the quad one wins stuff. I'm also not a tv ratings expert, I'm just doing a very surface level common sense approach to this stuff talking out of my ass.
Fixed.

Fucking steve...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-17, 10:53

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Irrelevant. UCLA will attract the west coast market either way. The comparison is Syracuse/MSU. If Syracuse is "easily" a better ratings draw than MSU, why did the NCAA chose MSU over them?

You gotta spread that shit around man. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-03-17, 11:14

MSU is playing at 9:57 on Thursday on TBS.

Syracuse is playing at 9:40 on Friday on CBS.

If a one seed tests positive does Louisville get in as a one seed? 3003718628
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-17, 11:27

Man I can't figure out why the NCAA wouldn't want to give the Thursday night game and easy ratings boost by having Syracuse play.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next