Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very interesting Hollis article. I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports

+8
duffy munn
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Very interesting Hollis article.   I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports  Empty Very interesting Hollis article. I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports

Post by DWags Wed 7 Apr - 13:11

Doesn’t say anything great about Beekman either

https://www.bizjournals.com/cleveland/news/2021/04/06/mark-hollis-aide-to-cavs-owner-dan-gilbert-help.html
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Very interesting Hollis article.   I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports  Empty Re: Very interesting Hollis article. I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 7 Apr - 13:21

oh boy am i already getting triggered too early on in this article

In 2003, Hollis moved a basketball game against Kentucky to a floor installed at Detroit’s cavernous Ford Field. Branded “BasketBowl,” it drew 78,000 and established a template used now by the NCAA for its men’s Final Four by putting the court at midfield.

the atmosphere at final 4s fucking suck (spare me the outlier of 09 detroit), thanks hollis.
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Very interesting Hollis article.   I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports  Empty Re: Very interesting Hollis article. I think he never wanted football to drive MSU sports

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 7 Apr - 13:31

“What’s frustrating is that he didn’t show any remorse and still landed on his feet,” said Nancy Hogshead-Makar, an attorney and three-time Olympic gold medalist who works as an activist for gender equity and accountability in athletics. “He’s done nothing to show any understanding of what he did. I don’t know how karma didn’t get him.”

BS
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 7 Apr - 13:40

He’s disappointed that the university chose to replace him with Beekman, who had served as vice president and secretary of the board of trustees since 2008 and was intimately involved in the aftermath of Nassar’s assaults. “Nothing against Bill Beekman,” Hollis said, “but I didn’t retire so that he could be athletic director. That wasn’t the idea.”
Ouch.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 7 Apr - 13:41

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:oh boy am i already getting triggered too early on in this article

In 2003, Hollis moved a basketball game against Kentucky to a floor installed at Detroit’s cavernous Ford Field. Branded “BasketBowl,” it drew 78,000 and established a template used now by the NCAA for its men’s Final Four by putting the court at midfield.

the atmosphere at final 4s fucking suck (spare me the outlier of 09 detroit), thanks hollis.

The sight lines definitely suck (even in "good" seats).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 7 Apr - 13:47

NigelUno wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:oh boy am i already getting triggered too early on in this article

Disappointing is the first thing that comes to mind when you sit down.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 7 Apr - 13:55

InTenSity wrote:
He’s disappointed that the university chose to replace him with Beekman, who had served as vice president and secretary of the board of trustees since 2008 and was intimately involved in the aftermath of Nassar’s assaults. “Nothing against Bill Beekman,” Hollis said, “but I didn’t retire so that he could be athletic director. That wasn’t the idea.”
Ouch.

Michigan State's Bill Beekman 'the least likely person' for AD job

Engler made Beekman’s appointment permanent on Monday, contradicting what he said when he named the MSU alum and Okemos native as Mark Hollis’ replacement in February. The former governor said in a release at the time that the university would conduct a nationwide search and “that no internal candidates will be considered in the search process.”

Michigan State deputy AD Greg Ianni to retire in January after 26 years Chris Solari Detroit Free Press
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 7 Apr - 13:59

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Disappointing is the first thing that comes to mind when you sit down.

I don't know how to accurately gauge the atmosphere. It seemed electric at times. But even with decent seats, I found myself watching on the video board last time. But, I did that at the CFP too. That screen was unbelievable though. It was hard not to watch.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 7 Apr - 15:50

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting. It sucks that we lost Hollis but it was probably necessary. I am glad that he's working to make Detroit better. He can help. Exciting tidbit about a potential Nike/Detroit partnership.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 7 Apr - 16:03

JMO:
The stadium thing was still a pretty new experience and people were still in awe that crowds of such size could be drawn for a basketball game. There were very few voices back then against Hollis’ idea, and a whole lot of genuine, not University-manufactured excitement.  In hindsight, all these years later, it wasn’t a great idea. I’ve always favored the standard size arena for bball games, and I didn’t bother getting tickets. But of all the people I know who went, they were glad they did to be part of something that was, at the time, historic.
MSU still needs to stop focusing on the fans and start paying attention to the fan.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 7 Apr - 18:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Fantastic article. Thanks for posting. It sucks that we lost Hollis but it was probably necessary. I am glad that he's working to make Detroit better. He can help. Exciting tidbit about a potential Nike/Detroit partnership.

I get the feeling that Hollis really didn’t want or was interested in MSU football becoming elite.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 7 Apr - 19:48

tGreenWay wrote:

JMO:
The stadium thing was still a pretty new experience and people were still in awe that crowds of such size could be drawn for a basketball game. There were very few voices back then against Hollis’ idea, and a whole lot of genuine, not University-manufactured excitement.  In hindsight, all these years later, it wasn’t a great idea. I’ve always favored the standard size arena for bball games, and I didn’t bother getting tickets. But of all the people I know who went, they were glad they did to be part of something that was, at the time, historic.
MSU still needs to stop focusing on the fans and start paying attention to the fan.

for sure, it was a cool novelty at the time. shit, i went to the cold war and the kentucky game at ford field. experiences i won't forget.
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 7 Apr - 20:38

InTenSity wrote:
Ouch.
Two things I've heard about Beekman which completely jive with decades of disfunction at MSU.

1. Beekman was hired as the interim and ultimately given the gig full time because he "knows where all of the bodies are buried."

2. since Hollis left there is a huge leadership void within the department.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 7 Apr - 23:49

Good read. Hollis is a great marketing and idea man. He can execute too.. Basketball in a dome, blows from a fans perspective. I went to one of the games at Ford Feild (Davidson?). I don't think we made it to the half before we bailed to the bar. IMO Ford Feild is a beautiful industrial stadium, but shallow lower bowl makes viewing suck from all angles for any sport. Still a brilliant mktg idea though. Glad to see him working in Detroit. GL.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 8 Apr - 9:43

Hollis never wanted MSU football to drive athletics.

Hindsight it appears he didn’t care if MSU Hockey ever was self-sufficient.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Shagnasty Tue 13 Apr - 13:28

Does that confirm once and for all that we’re a basketball school?

I think Hollis was brilliant (despite Nassar). He recognized that football is a slowly dying sport. Which is true.

Basketball and baseball is society’s future, whether we want to admit that or not.

Note: I just found out what shagnasty means. Can I change usernames?
Mr. Shagnasty
Mr. Shagnasty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 13 Apr - 13:55

Mr. Shagnasty wrote:Does that confirm once and for all that we’re a basketball school?

I think Hollis was brilliant (despite Nassar). He recognized that football is a slowly dying sport. Which is true.

Basketball and baseball is society’s future, whether we want to admit that or not.

I would be very disappointed if you couldn't change your name and you abandoned that rich posting history for a new user name.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 13 Apr - 14:01

Steve’s back! cheers
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 13 Apr - 17:01

Mr. Shagnasty wrote:Does that confirm once and for all that we’re a basketball school?

As Floyd said, it would be sad if all your posts were to simply disappear into the ether. History would miss all both of them. /s

When Heat asks what you want your new username to be, I suggest: Guest, Jr.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 13 Apr - 17:05

where are people getting the notion that hollis didn't want football to drive MSU/is a dying sport?

did i miss that in the article?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue 13 Apr - 17:35

kingstonlake wrote:Steve’s back! cheers

I'm thinking Bill Cain but perhaps a mod can run an ip check.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down