Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be careful out there this summer

+4
kingstonlake
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
8 posters

Go down

Be careful out there this summer Empty Be careful out there this summer

Post by The Pantry 2021-07-05, 13:13

Mon, July 5, 2021, 11:30 AM
HOMEWOOD, Ill. (AP) — More drownings have been reported in the Great Lakes so far in 2021 than by this time last year, prompting officials to urge swimmers to practice water safety measures.

As of July 2, there were 32 drownings in the Great Lakes, compared to 25 as of July 4, 2020, according to data collected by the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project. The nonprofit annually tracks drownings in the Great Lakes and recently issued a warning about a summer spike in deaths.

Of the 2021 drownings, 15 occurred in Lake Michigan, compared to 12 a year ago. Five drownings were reported in Lake Huron this season, in addition to six in Lake Erie and six in Lake Ontario.

There were 108 drownings on the Great Lakes in 2020, up from the 97 recorded in 2019. There have been a total of 978 Great Lakes drownings since 2010.

Last year, 53 people drowned in Lake Michigan, setting a record for yearly drowning deaths. More drownings are recorded in Lake Michigan than any of the Great Lakes, accounting for almost half of those reported.

Good friend drown in Lake St. Clair back in 2013.  Not sure if the stats above include St. Clair drownings.  Drowning was the coroners COD.  He actually broke his neck diving off a boat into St. Clair's unpredictable shallowness.  Worked with a couple brothers that drown in St. Clair maybe 25 years ago due to a sudden storm.  College friend (she was hot) of my sis drown in Lake Michigan maybe 40 years ago.

Number of drownings in Great Lakes jumps in 2021
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Be careful out there this summer Empty Re: Be careful out there this summer

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-07-05, 13:19

I mean yes be safe but I wonder if I can think of any outside factors that may have contributed to there being fewer drownings in 2020 than in 2021 🤔
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-07-05, 13:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I mean yes be safe but I wonder if I can think of any outside factors that may have contributed to there being fewer drownings in 2020 than in 2021 🤔

Better lifeguards?

Be careful out there this summer Lifeguard
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-05, 14:09

NM

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2021-07-05, 17:04; edited 2 times in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-07-05, 16:45

I get that turnabout is fair play, but do we really need to do this right now?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-05, 17:02

Cameron wrote:I get that turnabout is fair play, but do we really need to do this right now?

You're probably right. Being a douchebag in response to someone being a douchebag just makes you a douchebag as well.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-05, 17:17

Readers of John Irving already know to watch out for the undertoad.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-07-06, 07:48

The Pantry wrote:
Mon, July 5, 2021, 11:30 AM
HOMEWOOD, Ill. (AP) — More drownings have been reported in the Great Lakes so far in 2021 than by this time last year, prompting officials to urge swimmers to practice water safety measures.

As of July 2, there were 32 drownings in the Great Lakes, compared to 25 as of July 4, 2020, according to data collected by the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project. The nonprofit annually tracks drownings in the Great Lakes and recently issued a warning about a summer spike in deaths.

Of the 2021 drownings, 15 occurred in Lake Michigan, compared to 12 a year ago. Five drownings were reported in Lake Huron this season, in addition to six in Lake Erie and six in Lake Ontario.

There were 108 drownings on the Great Lakes in 2020, up from the 97 recorded in 2019. There have been a total of 978 Great Lakes drownings since 2010.

Last year, 53 people drowned in Lake Michigan, setting a record for yearly drowning deaths. More drownings are recorded in Lake Michigan than any of the Great Lakes, accounting for almost half of those reported.

Good friend drown in Lake St. Clair back in 2013.  Not sure if the stats above include St. Clair drownings.  Drowning was the coroners COD.  He actually broke his neck diving off a boat into St. Clair's unpredictable shallowness.  Worked with a couple brothers that drown in St. Clair maybe 25 years ago due to a sudden storm.  College friend (she was hot) of my sis drown in Lake Michigan maybe 40 years ago.

Back when I worked in MRI, I hated memorial day, 4th of July, and labor day. Every year, so many broken necks from diving in Lake st clair.

Never ever dive in that lake.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-07-06, 08:11

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Back when I worked in MRI, I hated memorial day, 4th of July, and labor day. Every year, so many broken necks from diving in Lake st clair.

Never ever dive in that lake.
Got things mixed up.  I read it that you worked for RMI.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down