Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeLuca's selling

+6
tGreenWay
StylesGShmooth
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
NigelUno
10 posters

Go down

DeLuca's selling Empty DeLuca's selling

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-13, 23:06

A Lansing institution.

DeLuca’s Restaurant selling after 60 years of business
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

DeLuca's selling Empty Re: DeLuca's selling

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-14, 05:50

Whoa that’s a bummer. I thought that was the best pizza in town. Always got a chuckle out of the signed Nick Saban photo in the lobby.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-09-14, 09:31

that's too bad.. I don't go there often and, when I do, it's always for takeout (even pre-pandemic) but it always seemed like it was busy. The veggie pizza is quite tasty.

I get that running a restaurant can be absolutely exhausting, so I totally respect the family's decision.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-14, 09:32

Would be a great marketing stunt. Say you're selling, get a ton of people to come in, and then say you're keeping it in the family.

Restaurants are always a tough business. With food costs going up and probably labor costs, it's become harder.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-14, 09:39

Running a restaurant would be the absolute worst.

Don't know how/why anyone does it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Dendrobates and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2021-09-15, 21:38

Guess you'll have to go to Cugino's instead.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-15, 22:23

StylesGShmooth wrote:Guess you'll have to go to Cugino's instead.

Maybe Cugino's will buy DeLuca's.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-15, 22:24

Driving from EL to DeLuca’s is as far west as I’m willing to go, so I’m sure as hell not going to GL for a pizza.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2021-09-15, 23:45

NigelUno wrote:

Same family already
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-15, 23:51

StylesGShmooth wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Same family already

Urban (or rural) legend. No relation.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 09:02

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Running a restaurant would be the absolute worst.

Don't know how/why anyone does it.

It's a thankless business most the time too.
Years ago, husband's uncle opened a sports bar in fraser. His uncle is a well versed businessman. He researched the area for a long time, has great traffic, and population. They used their polish family recipes, and had a really good mix of bar food and home family cooking. Tons of sports TVs. But it just couldn't make it. The building has changed many times over already throughout the years too. They never made a profit, and put so much hard work into it.
Such a bummer, because it was a really cool place.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-16, 10:00

I just think with all of the new great flat screen TVs, at home viewing and drinking for major sporting events is becoming the norm. Less and less traffic in sports bars to watch games and meet people. It’s a really tough business.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 11:37

DWags wrote:I just think with all of the new great flat screen TVs, at home viewing and drinking for major sporting events is becoming the norm. Less and less traffic in sports bars to watch games and meet people. It’s a really tough business.

Very true.
This was around 15 years ago
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-16, 12:03

I've had a few ideas to modernize the entire restaurant dining experience.

First off I don't know about you folks but when the meal is done I'm done. This entire signalling the waiter for the check, waiting for the check, reviewing the check, giving the card for the check, waiting for them to run the card and bring you the receipt to sign is brutal. It can add up to 15 to 20 minutes to the entire time and anyone with an average IQ understands this period of the dining experience is no fun.

Time to use a tech solution to speed this process up, simplify it and restaurants will win because they can turn over tables quicker.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 12:09

steveschneider wrote:I've had a few ideas to modernize the entire restaurant dining experience.

First off I don't know about you folks but when the meal is done I'm done. This entire signalling the waiter for the check, waiting for the check, reviewing the check, giving the card for the check, waiting for them to run the card and bring you the receipt to sign is brutal. It can add up to 15 to 20 minutes to the entire time and anyone with an average IQ understands this period of the dining experience is no fun.

Time to use a tech solution to speed this process up, simplify it and restaurants will win because they can turn over tables quicker.

Some restaurants have established a tablet to order/pay your bill. I'm a fan of that, while still having the server when I need them.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-16, 12:16

Dendrobates wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I've had a few ideas to modernize the entire restaurant dining experience.

Some restaurants have established a tablet to order/pay your bill. I'm a fan of that, while still having the server when I need them.

We have on restaurant in town that has sort of a streamlined app based ordering system but it leans into too much tech. I think there's a perfect balance. I want to talk to a human when I'm ordering but I want to use a machine to close out and leave. Also, putting in for a drink when a beer is empty would be a perk to the tablet system. I think tech can absolutely be used to improve the dining experience.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-16, 20:15

Was just at a brewry in Suttons bay....(https://hoplotbrewing.com/) they had scan things on each table. When you ordered and paid on your phone, they knew which table to deliver to. Kinda cool.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-16, 20:19

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Was just at a brewry in Suttons bay....(https://hoplotbrewing.com/) they had scan things on each table. When you ordered and paid on your phone, they knew which table to deliver to. Kinda cool.

Yeah, when I’m out fine dining I sort of want a ‘wham bam thank you mam’ but with my meal. When I’m done I want to get in the car and go.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-11-01, 08:38

Deluca's Has Been Sold

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-11-02, 17:19

30+ years ago when we lived in Lansing we’d get a DeLuca Special about twice a month.  

The bar/restaurant business is tough and the pizza business is cutthroat but for years the 2nd shifters at the GM/Oldsmobile plants on the south and north sides of Saginaw Hwy mobbed the place for lunch break and hit the bar after their shift.

After those plants were leveled I was surprised DeLuca’s owners didn’t throw in the towel a year after the plants closed and they lost 30%+ of their regular weekly customers.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2021-11-07, 12:12; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-11-02, 17:35

GRR Spartan wrote:30+ years ago when we lived in Lansing we’d get a DeLuca Special about twice a month.

The bar/restaurant business is tough and the pizza business is cutthroat but for years the 2nd shifters at the GM/Oldsmobile plants on the south and north sides of Saginaw Hwy mobbed the place for lunch break and hit the bar after their shift.

After those plants were leveled I was surprised DeLuca’s owners didn’t throw in the towe a year after the plants closed and they lost 30%+ of their regular weekly customers.

True. There a bunch of "shop bars" in Lansing that lived and died with the plants. Amazing how many have held on.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-05, 22:57

Sale fell through. Closing tomorrow.

DeLuca’s restaurant in Lansing to close Saturday
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-11-06, 07:14

NigelUno wrote:Sale fell through. Closing tomorrow.

What a bummer. I’d love to get that Nick Saban pic from their lobby as a memento from a great lansing institution.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-06, 08:58

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Sale fell through. Closing tomorrow.

What a bummer. I’d love to get that Nick Saban pic from their lobby as a memento from a great lansing institution.

Hope somebody buys it. Seems like a place that should be able to stay in business.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-11-07, 07:28

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Hope somebody buys it. Seems like a place that should be able to stay in business.

Yeah, at the very least just convert to delivery/pick-up place. It is a serious bummer. Kind of upset last time I was in town I went to that newish over priced place by old town and had wished I had gone to Delucas instead.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-07, 08:05

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah, at the very least just convert to delivery/pick-up place. It is a serious bummer. Kind of upset last time I was in town I went to that newish over priced place by old town and had wished I had gone to Delucas instead.

Cosmos? They have more fancy options/toppings. Definitely different than old school Lansing pizza like DeLuca's/Casa Nova/Emil's.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-11-07, 12:24

I only know the bar restaurant business “business” as a vendor when there was new construction or remodeling and I learned how work is required and tenuous is can be to stay solvent.

I suspect DeLuca’s costs for everything from food to glassware and paper products has increased while business, especially for dine in and alcohol sales struggled.

Guessing when the potential buyer bailed or changed terms or financing wasn’t there, DeLuca’s owner decided to stop his losses. He still owns the building and the liquor license.

All he needs to do is pay to keep the building @50-55 degrees and keep the water on.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-11-08, 08:22

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Cosmos? They have more fancy options/toppings. Definitely different than old school Lansing pizza like DeLuca's/Casa Nova/Emil's.

That's the place. Thanks couldn't remember the name of it. The pizza was good, I just prefer a basic traditional family place like DeLucas though. I don't remember Casa Nova's pizza but I do remember enjoying Emil's. Two great Lansing institutions gone.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-08, 08:33

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That's the place. Thanks couldn't remember the name of it. The pizza was good, I just prefer a basic traditional family place like DeLucas though. I don't remember Casa Nova's pizza but I do remember enjoying Emil's. Two great Lansing institutions gone.

The original Casa Nova was on MLK (Logan). Owner sold that one, and then opened a smaller restaurant on Waverly a few years later. Original has been closed for awhile.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-11-08, 10:21

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

never been to Cosmos but a couple of friends invited us to visit that gentrified joint next door - Zoobies - with them. We went and, as I recall, they got a pizza from next door.

definitely not my scene.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down