Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill - I need your help

+16
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Cameron
DWags
InTenSity
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
gomersbro
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Swill - I need your help  Empty Swill - I need your help

Post by gomersbro Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:17

Sorry to distract you from our undefeated Spartans, but today I informed the boss that I won't be renewing my contract beyond March 2022. My wife has already printed and signed her resignation effective March 31, 2022 with plans on giving it to her boss next week (unbelievably, she has to give a 7-month notice!). Our plans are to pack everything in a locker and go on a road trip USA with a three-year-old for nine months--maybe longer if we can stretch the budget. Are we crazy? Maybe -- probably -- most definitely. But why not push retirement off a year and take a year off now when we are healthy and can have more time with the kid?

So my question(s) for tSwill:
1. What are some cool things we should visit during our trip (April to December)? We have flexibility, so if there is a place that is best to visit at a certain time of year, we could make it work. Or if there is a festival we just have to visit, we can do that too. I am looking more for smaller less known things and not the Yellowstone, Grand Canyon (we were already here), NYC, etc. And also not Death Valley in July because my wife would just melt.
2. I have heard that car prices are a little out of whack at the moment. We were thinking of buying a small class B RV and then reselling it after the trip. If prices are too high, maybe buy a car/crossover SUVs and mount one of those pop-up tents on the top. Does anyone have any experience with either one? If anyone has any leads on finding something that fits, please let me know.
3. Are we crazy?

And one of our most important stops is getting back to East Lansing, hopefully for a football game. It has been over five years since I set foot on campus. Damn that makes me feel old.

Beat the Cornhuskers!
gomersbro
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, Cameron, The Pantry, Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Swill - I need your help  Empty Re: Swill - I need your help

Post by NigelUno Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:25

Yes
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:31

Well... you got some big balls.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:33

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Well... you got some big balls.

Hopefully it is not a medical problem. I don't need that derailing this. Swill - I need your help  1550444538

Edit: Great now I am sitting here drinking beer and worrying if my balls are healthy. Not the way I was expecting this evening to end.

Last edited by gomersbro on Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 17:06; edited 1 time in total
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:37

I have friends that just did this. I'll send you a message.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:54

I'm jealous! RV prices might be coming down, or at least more available. I don't have any knowledge about them though.
Why not drive up to Alaska, if its possible. Although if the kid can't be vaccinated you might not be able to get into Canada.
Where are you starting from? I'd get up to Maine just to have cheap lobster. I've always wanted to go to the PNW. Maybe just plan it out based on Diner's Drive-ins and Dives.
If you want to go anywhere in the Keys, and there are a few RV parks, hit it up in the Winter/spring time, but call 6 months ahead to make sure you get a spot. Maybe even a year.
I hope you document the trip.
Day 1 - Leaving the house, heading on the road, sunshine everywhere!
Day 75 - We were told to follow this road to watch the changing of the leaves in Vermont, but we've been driving longer than Vermont is wide, but nothing ever changes. The road less traveled, I guess.
Day 150 - St. Louis was on fire, the river was the only way to get out!
Day 365 - Cloverfield happened, I'm in someone's underground lair, we're in the middle of Kansas and the screeching never ends. tWife and I got split up in St. Louis as she drifted down the Mississippi. My daughter is now being raised by wolves.
Day 400 - I sold that helldemon RV to a kid on his way to Vegas.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:55

I mean I could suggest some stuff, but it will be suggested by others. I do think that’s cool as hell what you’re doing.

Remember to keep sending us pictures.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 17:07

That sounds awesome. I am not a well traveled man, so I don't have a lot to offer in terms of recommendations. Regarding the vehicle, people are big into modding vans to live out of. I have no idea what a Sprinter is going for these days, but if you can find reasonable prices, there are tons of websites/youtube videos out there with DIY van conversion info. Not sure what that would do for the resale value, probably depends on the quality of the modifications.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 17:09

Very cool Gomer. Might sound basic but a lot of times we never get around to doing the things in Michigan we’ve always wanted but never do because we’re planning trips elsewhere. Isle Royale, lake of the clouds?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 17:18

InTenSity wrote:RV prices might be coming down, or at least more available. I don't have any knowledge about them though.
Why not drive up to Alaska, if its possible. Although if the kid can't be vaccinated you might not be able to get into Canada.
Where are you starting from?

If you want to go anywhere in the Keys, and there are a few RV parks, hit it up in the Winter/spring time, but call 6 months ahead to make sure you get a spot. Maybe even a year.

It would be nice if the RVs become more available/prices become more reasonable. I did some cursory checks on prices the last several months, and many were sold quickly at prices higher than I was willing to pay. That is why my thoughts were going to tent on a car. But then I have no experience with those, and I worry about rain/wind storms that we would have.

We would be starting from Michigan or where ever we could get the RV from. My wife already has a list with at least one interesting place in every state (except Hawaii) she would be interested in visiting. As I told her, with an RV if we can't find a spot we can always overnight in the local Walmart parking lot.

Yeah when we begin in April we would probably head down to the southwest before it gets too warm for her. We have already spent time in the Everglades and in Key West and Clearwater. Maybe in the November/December time frame would we maybe hit Florida again.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 17:24

kingstonlake wrote:Very cool Gomer. Might sound basic but a lot of times we never get around to doing the things in Michigan we’ve always wanted but never do because we’re planning trips elsewhere. Isle Royale, lake of the clouds?

Yes I expect to spend some of July/August in the UP as it is part of the country where there will be temps she can handle. Isle Royale is an interesting idea. I wonder if it gets crowded during the summer vacation season. Does anyone have any insight on that? One more thing to add to my list to investigate here.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 18:05

Sorta forget your details. You and wife both in the Service in Germany currently?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 18:05

Love this idea, even if my back is already screaming at me to never consider doing it myself.
Off hand, the first things that popped into my head were New England in the fall, maybe Vermont and New Hampshire for the fall colors. Maine for moose. Hit the coast and watch some commercial fishers come in from their hunt and off-load their catch.
I know you said you wanted smaller suggestions, but I loved the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore. Badlands was like being on another planet, and if you’re there with good sunlight, the layers of soft colors are super cool. Rushmore was much more satisfying than I ever imagined it being, and we stayed to watch a patriotic nighttime presentation. Lots of the flag waving folks who mistake politics with patriotism, but I really bought into the carvings themselves. The Crazy Horse memorial near Mt. Rushmore is also pretty interesting, but I found it somewhat underwhelming after seeing the presidents.
I also really want to see the national parks in Utah, and I’m with Kingston on the suggestion to Isle Royale. I really want to visit there.
More to come. Good for you and your wife for doing this while you still can.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 19:02

Southwest Colorado like Durango, silverton, ouray areas. San Juan mountains. Favorite/most beautiful part of Colorado and way less people around.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 19:09

Good idea to do it now. I'd love to do the same thing but the wife wouldn't last that long in a car. Twenty years ago sure. But the small motorhome does sound like an excellent idea. If she gets tired she can go lay down. I love to drive, anywhere, anytime.
As an aside, motorhomes aren't that easy to find right now unless it's way past it's prime and will need a bunch of money dumped into it. Do your due diligence if you go that way.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 19:14

gomersbro wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Very cool Gomer. Might sound basic but a lot of times we never get around to doing the things in Michigan we’ve always wanted but never do because we’re planning trips elsewhere. Isle Royale, lake of the clouds?

Yes I expect to spend some of July/August in the UP as it is part of the country where there will be temps she can handle. Isle Royale is an interesting idea. I wonder if it gets crowded during the summer vacation season. Does anyone have any insight on that? One more thing to add to my list to investigate here.

Isle Royale has a facebook and instagram page. You need to get reservations early and the only way there is boat or airplane. Your van won't make it unless it has pontoons.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 19:53

While RVs may not be easy to get now, you aren't going on the trip for another 6-7 months. So if you purchase now, is delivery 6 months from now realistic, or what is the waiting list? I don't know, but maybe ask some dealers. Look at dealers all over the country, maybe it will be worth it to fly to the place that you'll pick it up and start your journey there.

As for places to go, I've mostly been to popular places, so don't have a lot of suggestions off the top of my head. For something different in Florida (not a theme park or beach) you can swim with manatees in Crystal River. Colder months are best, as the manatees seek the warmer water of the springs. Apart from the manatees, the springs themselves are beautiful.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 19:58

Find an Appalachian holler in West Virginia and help a Hatfield cook some crystal. Then cross the mountain and buy some still hooch from a McCoy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 20:03

I had the best buttermilk pancakes of my life up near Ticonderoga at the Adirondack General Store. If you are in that area worth seeking em out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 23:53

Go to the Pacific Northwest. Probably my favorite part of the country and I’ve been everywhere except Alaska. Go to Alaska too. Take the ferry out of Anacortes to San Juan and spend some time. Then go on to Vancouver. You might actually be able to drive from Vancouver up to Alaska. I haven’t done it but it would be awesome. There’s so much cool shit on Washington along the coast there though. I could spend a month there. Honestly I’d like to live there again.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 8:15

I hear that Up North is a magical place.

P.S. Bring khakis.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 8:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I hear that Up North is a magical place.

P.S. Bring khakis.

There are some nice spots. Not sure any of it would make the cut if I was touring the US. I think I'd spend a week or two at some different areas. Like pick a mountain town in the Rockies and spend a week or two there.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 9:42

Yeah I’d get out of Michigan for this especially if you already lived there
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 9:53

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I hear that Up North is a magical place.

P.S. Bring khakis.

There are some nice spots.  Not sure any of it would make the cut if I was touring the US.  I think I'd spend a week or two at some different areas.  Like pick a mountain town in the Rockies and spend a week or two there.  
Swill - I need your help  969504605

that's the one thing about Michigan.. it's hard to just 'pass through' the state, maybe other than east/west on 94 or on your way to Canada. Otherwise, you kinda have to want to drive through Michigan.

(which makes Up North even more magical).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 12:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

There are some nice spots.  Not sure any of it would make the cut if I was touring the US.  I think I'd spend a week or two at some different areas.  Like pick a mountain town in the Rockies and spend a week or two there.  

that's the one thing about Michigan.. it's hard to just 'pass through' the state, maybe other than east/west on 94 or on your way to Canada. Otherwise, you kinda have to want to drive through Michigan.

If you're trying to get from the East to West coast in as quick of a drive as possible, yeah, Michigan isn't easy to drive through. But for a casual trip around the US, going up through the UP to Minnesota and then out West along that Northern route can be a nice and different way to go.

With a 9 month trip, they're lucky to be able to spend as much or as little time as they'd like anywhere, and take less common, out of the way routes. I'm definitely jealous.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 24 Sep 2021 - 13:39

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

If you're trying to get from the East to West coast in as quick of a drive as possible, yeah, Michigan isn't easy to drive through. But for a casual trip around the US, going up through the UP to Minnesota and then out West along that Northern route can be a nice and different way to go.

With a 9 month trip, they're lucky to be able to spend as much or as little time as they'd like anywhere, and take less common, out of the way routes. I'm definitely jealous.
it'd be a pretty fly thing to do but at my age, I'd be stopping 3-4 times a day to take a nap.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Sat 25 Sep 2021 - 16:32

The Pantry wrote:Sorta forget your details. You and wife both in the Service in Germany currently?

My wife is from here in Germany and I moved here five years ago to be with her. It is the longest I have been in one place since living with my parents. She has always lived here but loves to travel--Spain, Australia, Iceland, etc.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Sun 5 Jun 2022 - 19:47

Two months into the trip and we will be crossing the bridge after being on Mackinac Island today. I guess we will then be "up north" if we aren't already. The plan is to get to Yellowstone before the Fourth of July.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun 5 Jun 2022 - 20:25

gomersbro wrote:Two months into the trip and we will be crossing the bridge after being on Mackinac Island today. I guess we will then be "up north" if we aren't already. The plan is to get to Yellowstone before the Fourth of July.

Swill - I need your help  3493939353

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 5 Jun 2022 - 21:17

Have you checked out Only in your State and Atlas Obscura? Those are a couple of good sources for unique things to check out on a state by state basis. Somebody mentioned Diners, Drive-ins and Dives earlier. There used to be an app for the show which listed all the restaurants that have been featured, listed by state. No idea if it’s still in existence.
One other specific stop for Minnesota, if you have any interest:
https://www.spam.com/museum

The museum is probably ~ 15-20 years old. We stopped for the hell of it. It was pretty out of the way, considering we were headed west on 90. It was kitschy and didn’t take itself seriously at all, and seemed to embrace its place as both a staple food in some cultures and its use as a joke/prop in pop culture. It was fun and didn’t take a lot time. The gift shop was fun to get jokey-type things for family/friends. It’s in Austin, MN, the home of Hormel Foods, maker of Spam.

Are you changing things up due to the high cost of gas?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 5 Jun 2022 - 21:19

btw, you could probably get a good deal on an RV in Gaylord.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Sun 5 Jun 2022 - 21:26

Going across 28 or US2?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 15:09

Motown Spartan wrote:Going across 28 or US2?

Using 28 because we are hitting Tahquamenon, Pictured Rocks and the Porcupines. Well that is the plan if the mosquitos leave some blood.

Greenway, thanks for the website recommendations, they look interesting. Yes gas prices are really beating up the budget. We have reduced the side trips off the main direction and have reserved campsites ahead to avoid going somewhere that is already booked. Both run counter to our typical traveling approach but we want to stretch this trip out at least until Christmas.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 15:55

gomersbro wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Going across 28 or US2?

Using 28 because we are hitting Tahquamenon, Pictured Rocks and the Porcupines. Well that is the plan if the mosquitos leave some blood.

Greenway, thanks for the website recommendations, they look interesting. Yes gas prices are really beating up the budget. We have reduced the side trips off the main direction and have reserved campsites ahead to avoid going somewhere that is already booked. Both run counter to our typical traveling approach but we want to stretch this trip out at least until Christmas.
If budget/time allow, take a swing though the Keweenaw Peninsula. Houghton/Hancock, Calumet/Laurium, and Copper Harbor. Fort Wilkins SP in CH. Brockway Mountain Drive...can see Isle Royale NP from the top on a clear day. The Jampot in Eagle Harbor. Looks like they're only open weekends now...their Thimbleberry Jam is the best jam anywhere. Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium for the best pasty anywhere.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 16:06

The Pantry wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium for the best pasty anywhere.

You sit on a throne of lies!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 16:33

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium for the best pasty anywhere.

You sit on a throne of lies!!
Never had one from Toni's, have you.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 21:12

If you do Yellowstone, come in through Lamar Valley. Best wildlife viewing area (wolves, bear, bison, etc).

Needles Hwy is a cool drive.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 14 Jun 2022 - 9:03

Massive flooding in Yellowstone. Lamar Valley entrance (northeast) might not be open for a while.

All entrances to Yellowstone National Park are temporarily closed due to 'extremely hazardous conditions'

The northern loop is likely to be closed "for a substantial amount of time," and the park's reopening will be determined after flood waters recede and damage is assessed.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Tue 14 Jun 2022 - 9:11

Nordic, thanks for the heads up. We are heading that way and expected to be there around.the end of the month. Maybe that will help keep some crowds away when they open back up. Or, with my luck, they will funnel all the people to the same spot and it will be even more crowded.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 15 Jun 2022 - 6:40

Crazy scenes out of Yellowstone. Saw some bridges are gone and roads that have completely collapsed and washed away.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next