Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white

+7
Travis of the Cosmos
TrapperGus
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
DWags
Cameron
Turtleneck
11 posters

Go down

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white Empty Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-28, 17:10

Teen who ran over 6 cyclists outside Houston walks free

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/amp/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-ironman-16490862.php?__twitter_impression=true
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white Empty Re: Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white

Post by Cameron 2021-09-28, 17:56

They use the term "latinx." Only ever seen that from whiteys.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

ChaseViolence likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white Empty Re: Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white

Post by DWags 2021-09-28, 18:56

Can we guess who’s son he is?

Me first: police chief or cops son.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-28, 19:31

DWags wrote:Can we guess who’s son he is?

Me first: police chief or cops son.

Dad owns 400,000 acres in the county.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-28, 19:33

The Killers are the greatest musical artists of the 21st century.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-28, 19:51

Turtleneck wrote:Teen who ran over 6 cyclists outside Houston walks free

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/amp/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-ironman-16490862.php?__twitter_impression=true

Not as shocked as others might be, this was a traffic accident, so how many times is someone who is involved in a traffic accident where people are hurt put in jail?
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-28, 21:06

TrapperGus wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Teen who ran over 6 cyclists outside Houston walks free

Not as shocked as others might be, this was a traffic accident, so how many times is someone who is involved in a traffic accident where people are hurt put in jail?

Accident?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 10:07

DWags wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Accident?

The article is clear that it was not his stated intention to hit the riders but to create black smoke, but he miscalculated.

So yes, an accident.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-09-29, 10:21

Criminal negligence and reckless endangerment are things.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-29, 10:22

TrapperGus wrote:
DWags wrote:

Accident?

The article is clear that it was not his stated intention to hit the riders but to create black smoke, but he miscalculated.

So yes, an accident.

Oh, I get it. If I'm speeding through a residential area at 75 mph and kill a kid running out in the road, it's an accident. I only wanted to go real fast. I'm not a law guy, or an attorney or know about such things, but I'm sure there is some phrase with the word "negligence" in it that he can be charged with. Or "fucking idiot" or something.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-29, 10:23

Cameron wrote:Criminal negligence and reckless endangerment are things.

see!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-29, 10:35

Always funny to watch even the most progressive white folks recoil when we start talking about the advantages they enjoy in the criminal justice system. It might not have been his intention to hit the riders, but that is what happened as a direct result of his very intentional efforts to intimidate them. We have a lot of mostly young black men sitting in jails for a lot less…like being accused of stealing a backpack and being held for two years without trial.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-09-29, 10:39

Per the thread title, "rolling coal" also strikes me as an exclusively white thing.

I also think it could be construed as assault.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-29, 10:50

Turtleneck wrote:

Always funny to watch even the most progressive white folks recoil when we start talking about the advantages they enjoy in the criminal justice system. It might not have been his intention to hit the riders, but that is what happened as a direct result of his very intentional efforts to intimidate them. We have a lot of mostly young black men sitting in jails for a lot less…like being accused of stealing a backpack and being held for two years without trial.

I’m not speaking to the article here, didn’t read it… but I don’t think that the answer to fixing the inherent advantages white people have in the criminal justice system is to lock up more white people, which seems to be what you’re suggesting in this post even though I know that it’s probably not what you mean. If someone said that the guy who hit the people shouldn’t be in jail, I think they’d also think that the guy that stole a backpack shouldn’t be in jail either. More jail for everyone isnt an answer anyone wants (except for private prison owners)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 10:58

While the outrage about what happened is certainly justified, and the question of if the man was not a member of one of the richest families in the county, and white, would he not have been put in jail also justified, though less so, in fact there are traffic accidents probably every hour if not more often where people are hurt or killed and the person at fault is not jailed, even if they are later charged with some sort of homicide. The outrage of him not being put in jail is all I am addressing.

I am saying that in most accidents of this type, certainly if the party at fault is white and rich, the majority of the time they are not jailed.  Beyond that the law and the judgement of the legal system determines if they are charged with a crime.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-29, 11:03

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I’m not speaking to the article here, didn’t read it… but I don’t think that the answer to fixing the inherent advantages white people have in the criminal justice system is to lock up more white people, which seems to be what you’re suggesting in this post even though I know that it’s probably not what you mean. If someone said that the guy who hit the people shouldn’t be in jail, I think they’d also think that the guy that stole a backpack shouldn’t be in jail either. More jail for everyone isnt an answer anyone wants (except for private prison owners)

I'm not sure how you got that, but definitely not what I'm saying. Just odd that he was not taken into custody at the scene since it was not a simple accident but instead the result of a very intentional act gone wrong. Looking at the damage on the truck and reading that two riders had to be airlifted tells me it was pretty serious and he didn't merely knock a couple of people over.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 11:19

Turtleneck wrote:

I'm not sure how you got that, but definitely not what I'm saying. Just odd that he was not taken into custody at the scene since it was not a simple accident but instead the result of a very intentional act gone wrong. Looking at the damage on the truck and reading that two riders had to be airlifted tells me it was pretty serious and he didn't merely knock a couple of people over.

Are people generally put in jail for this type of traffic accident, where something they didn't intend to happen, happens from their actions behind the wheel.

btw - I don't think the seriousness of the injuries makes a difference. Although people don't like to think about it, riding a bike on the side of the road is more dangerous than driving a car, just because of physics.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-29, 11:29

Turtleneck wrote:

I got it because you think this guy should be in jail and you said that young black men are in jail for much less. Thus, it seems like you’re saying that white people should be held to the same standard as black people, instead of the opposite which is what I would argue we should be doing to fix the criminal justice system. Again, I don’t think we actually disagree here, but that’s how I read what you said.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 11:32

Turtleneck wrote:

I got it because you think this guy should be in jail and you said that young black men are in jail for much less. Thus, it seems like you’re saying that white people should be held to the same standard as black people, instead of the opposite which is what I would argue we should be doing to fix the criminal justice system. Again, I don’t think we actually disagree here, but that’s how I read what you said.

FWIW I am arguing that a minority person shouldn't be in jail at this time for this either, that accidents of this type should give the benefit of presumption of innocence until such time as a determination of a crime requiring jailing is made.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-29, 11:41

TrapperGus wrote:

FWIW I am arguing that a minority person shouldn't be in jail at this time for this either, that accidents of this type should give the benefit of presumption of innocence until such time as a determination of a crime requiring jailing is made.

Maybe I’m way over reacting, but I just feel that if it was a teen of color they take him to jail first. I absolutely know it might be that I’m jaded by examples of lopsided sentences we see on social media. Just the feeling you get.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-29, 11:50

DWags wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Maybe I’m way over reacting, but I just feel that if it was a teen of color they take him to jail first.  I absolutely know it might be that I’m jaded by examples of lopsided sentences we see on social media.  Just the feeling you get.

If this kid looked middle eastern he'd for sure be profiled and taken into custody.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 11:53

DWags wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Maybe I’m way over reacting, but I just feel that if it was a teen of color they take him to jail first.  I absolutely know it might be that I’m jaded by examples of lopsided sentences we see on social media.  Just the feeling you get.

I agree with you.  (and all the others with similar examples)

However I am arguing that they should be treated equally and that should be no jail for either until the DA decides to change and then either both go to jail or neither does.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-29, 12:01

TrapperGus wrote:
DWags wrote:

I agree with you.  (and all the others with similar examples)

However I am arguing that they should be treated equally and that should be no jail for either until the DA decides to change and then either both go to jail or neither does.

Thomas Jefferson opined about that. Unfortunately there are words, and then there are deeds.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-29, 12:02

There's a reason MDOT no longer calls them "accidents". Nearly 100% of the "accidents" are preventable. It's no "accident" that you weren't paying attention and ran into another car or person. It's also no "accident" that the white kid drove close enough to the bicyclists to run them over.

But yeah I agree. If he were black he'd be in jail.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 12:06

Jake from State Farm wrote:There's a reason MDOT no longer calls them "accidents". Nearly 100% of the "accidents" are preventable. It's no "accident" that you weren't paying attention and ran into another car or person. It's also no "accident" that the white kid drove close enough to the bicyclists to run them over.

Language matters of course.

The word accident speaks to intent, not to possibilities.

Of course many "accidents" are preventable. The easiest prevention would be not to drive at all.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2021-10-01, 10:57

She likes rutabaga in her pasty.

Wink
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-19, 19:28

Rick Saunders wrote:She likes rutabaga in her pasty.

Wink

Cheapskate

Just had some good but odd ones from Mackinaw Pasty & Cookie

Last edited by TrapperGus on 2021-10-20, 11:04; edited 1 time in total
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2021-10-20, 10:52

He took his golden retriever to the vet for hip dysplasia surgery.

Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaseViolence 2021-10-21, 19:57

white people are the wurst

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white Welcome-home-party-for-shooter-01
ChaseViolence
ChaseViolence
Spartiate

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaseViolence 2021-10-21, 20:22

they have this sign in their yard along with similarly embarrassing displays of decorative insecurity...

Tell me somebody is white without telling me they’re white S-l400
ChaseViolence
ChaseViolence
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-10-24, 22:11

Could you be more direct and say what you think. What you’re trying to say is going over my head.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down