Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2022 Winter Olympics Thread

+15
Dendrobates
MiamiSpartan
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
aualum06
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
gomersbro
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2022 Winter Olympics Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial 2022 Winter Olympics Thread

Post by Nordic 2022-02-04, 20:54

Opening Ceremony. Olympians waving to the not crowd is awkward.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2022 Winter Olympics Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial 2022 Winter Olympics Thread

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-05, 07:28

So watching men's moguls... the 'merican from Park City UT looked in on his family in some huge living room all decked out and was thinking. How many of these sports can you succeed without a shitton of capital behind you? These are just all rich kids...

Probably exponentially more so then baseball elite leagues and aau basketball travel which are pretty much required these days to get going in those sports.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-02-05, 08:06

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So watching men's moguls... the 'merican from Park City UT looked in on his family in some huge living room all decked out and was thinking. How many of these sports can you succeed without a shitton of capital behind you? These are just all rich kids...

Probably exponentially more so then baseball elite leagues and aau basketball travel which are pretty much required these days to get going in those sports.

Nick Baumgartner is an Olympic snowboarder from Iron River. Definitely not a rich kid. Once they start to show some promise, they get sponsorships. Like free equipment, lift passes, etc. I doubt his family had to pay for any of that stuff by the time he was out of high school. And then eventually the sponsorships pay for the elite level coaching and boom, world class athlete.  He's 40 now and still competing in the Olympics.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-02-05, 08:46

Fuck China.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-02-05, 09:23

Nordic wrote:Opening Ceremony. Olympians waving to the not crowd is awkward.

I thought the award for most moment went to China trotting out an Uighur (sp?), in the most blatant propaganda ploy possible.  "See, we love the Uighurs.  Really, we do."
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-02-05, 09:57

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:Opening Ceremony. Olympians waving to the not crowd is awkward.

I thought the award for most moment went to China trotting out an Uighur (sp?), in the most blatant propaganda ploy possible.  "See, we love the Uighurs.  Really, we do."

It's just appalling that they did that. Pretending nothing is going on. I think this is why I just can't get into it.
Which isn't fair to those working hard at this, I know.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-06, 16:04

Why is curling genderized? The only thing I can think of is that a guy could do the sweepy stuff harder
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-06, 16:56

Winter Olympics > Summer Olympics

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-06, 17:04

Ski long jump-

Has the US ever considered putting an nfl offensive lineman on skis just to see what would happen? They’re pretty nimble dudes. They’d suffer on the aerodynamics of course but they would also get going way faster down that hill.

I don’t think it would work out better but I would like to see them try because it sounds fun
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-06, 17:27

Ski jumpers are fucking insane. Literally outside of their minds nuts. Have any of you nuts ever tried it on baby jumps?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-06, 17:30

Only answer if you’re 400 lb I need to know how that would work
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-06, 17:38

DWags wrote:Ski jumpers are fucking insane. Literally outside of their minds nuts. Have any of you nuts ever tried it on baby jumps?

It looks like fun to me ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-02-06, 19:55

DWags wrote:Ski jumpers are fucking insane. Literally outside of their minds nuts. Have any of you nuts ever tried it on baby jumps?

Not as insane as the snowboarders and moguls imo
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-06, 20:04

i'm boycotting the olympics, so dendro you are not alone. but i get some air d wags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-02-06, 20:25

I've never tried it but we have a pretty active club up here that plenty of kids are involved with. It's amazing to watch in person.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-02-06, 20:35

Motown Spartan wrote:

I've never tried it but we have a pretty active club up here that plenty of kids are involved with. It's amazing to watch in person.
The ski jump sorta emptying at the roadway was one of my favorite parts of driving though Munising
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-06, 22:13

[tw]1490512088569196549?s=21[/tw]

Turn it up.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-02-06, 22:22

Anyone ever play curling? A couple of guys I know are talking about joining a league that they have down here. Is there much cost for equipment like those fancy swiffers, or do beer leaguers use the special shoes?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-06, 22:24

I’ve done it, it was a lot of fun, but it was a one night thing so There wasn’t a lot of equipment purchasing happening
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-02-06, 22:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:Anyone ever play curling? A couple of guys I know are talking about joining a league that they have down here. Is there much cost for equipment like those fancy swiffers, or do beer leaguers use the special shoes?

I honestly don't know anything about it. But one of the Wisconsin guys who won the gold last time, worked at the same place as a friend of mine. He brought his gold medal into work and everyone got to hold it.

Cool story bro, I know.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-02-07, 10:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:Anyone ever play curling? A couple of guys I know are talking about joining a league that they have down here. Is there much cost for equipment like those fancy swiffers, or do beer leaguers use the special shoes?

Can you imagine having to carry your own stones around? You'd need a wheelbarrow.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-07, 10:34

the sprint speedskating is pretty fun to watch. Saw both the women's 500 M final and men's 1,000 M final live this morning.

pretty intense. With the short track sprints, there is no room for error.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-07, 11:21

Dendrobates wrote:

I honestly don't know anything about it. But one of the Wisconsin guys who won the gold last time, worked at the same place as a friend of mine. He brought his gold medal into work and everyone got to hold it.

Cool story bro, I know.

I think it's cool as hell. I've had 4 different superbowl rings on. Every one who has one that you are in a discussion with tells you hundreds of people ask them if they can put it on. They enjoy it if it's at a small get together where they know everyone.

I've never touched a gold medal. I'd like to. Touched the stanley cup. (I know you're not supposed to). I've seen the Lombardi, never touched it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-07, 14:00

I rested my balls in the Suzanne Lenglen Cup once. (French Open)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-07, 14:11

If I put a bowling ball on the ski jump and then I put a tennis ball on it, I think the bowling ball would go a lot further because of the extra speed it would come off that hill at. It’s been a long time since high school physics but I think it’s long past time for men of Bob’s size (7’2 547 lb rhr sludge) to have their time to shine in the ski jump
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-02-07, 14:20

DWags wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Cool story bro, I know.

I think it's cool as hell. I've had 4 different superbowl rings on. Every one who has one that you are in a discussion with tells you hundreds of people ask them if they can put it on. They enjoy it if it's at a small get together where they know everyone.

I've never touched a gold medal. I'd like to. Touched the stanley cup. (I know you're not supposed to). I've seen the Lombardi, never touched it.

I've seen and touched a silver medal and drank out of Lord Stanely's Cup. Both courtesy of MSU hockey players.

Mike York brought his medal to the bar and Drew Miller brought the Cup. We may or may not have stayed open a little late the night the cup was in town. Actually it was early when we all finally left. sunny at 6 am. Who knew?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-07, 15:57

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

I've seen and touched a silver medal and drank out of Lord Stanely's Cup. Both courtesy of MSU hockey players.

Mike York brought his medal to the bar and Drew Miller brought the Cup. We may or may not have stayed open a little late the night the cup was in town. Actually it was early when we all finally left. sunny at 6 am. Who knew?
I've shaken the hand of DWags on two separate occasions.. that was pretty cool.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-07, 16:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I've shaken the hand of DWags on two separate occasions.. that was pretty cool.

And I was honored to have Bob drink one of my Bud lights. Hell maybe it was two.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-07, 17:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If I put a bowling ball on the ski jump and then I put a tennis ball on it, I think the bowling ball would go a lot further because of the extra speed it would come off that hill at. It’s been a long time since high school physics but I think it’s long past time for men of Bob’s size (7’2 547 lb rhr sludge) to have their time to shine in the ski jump

Will fat go as far as muscle? Let’s take that bowling ball and compare it to a very dense steel ball that’s the size of a tennis ball. What happens then? A smaller person might have more muscle density than a bigger person who has a lot of fat. I was horrible at math and science but I think it’s something you should consider
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-07, 17:33

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If I put a bowling ball on the ski jump and then I put a tennis ball on it, I think the bowling ball would go a lot further because of the extra speed it would come off that hill at. It’s been a long time since high school physics but I think it’s long past time for men of Bob’s size (7’2 547 lb rhr sludge) to have their time to shine in the ski jump

Will fat go as far as muscle? Let’s take that bowling ball and compare it to a very dense steel ball that’s the size of a tennis ball. What happens then? A smaller person might have more muscle density than a bigger person who has a lot of fat. I was horrible at math and science but I think it’s something you should consider

I asked my wife if I could build a ramp off of the roof to solve this riddle once and for all but she said no.

If I can win her over then I will throw a bowling ball, a light but solid rubber ball, and a balloon full of Crisco down it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-07, 19:13

Well, at the risk of being accused of science ...

The bowling ball and the tennis ball are in the same field of acceleration, gravity. typically, 9.8m/s*s

However, we would need to consider friction & wind resistance.

A tennis ball has more of both, which would slow it down.

However, a 150-pound jumper verses a 300-pound NFL lineman, the wind resistance and friction are against the lineman.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-08, 08:27

Jessie Diggins wins bronze in the women's sprint XC race. The first American female to ever win an Olympic medal in any cross-country skiing event.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-02-08, 08:33

Trapper Gus wrote:

Well, at the risk of being accused of science ...

The bowling ball and the tennis ball are in the same field of acceleration, gravity. typically, 9.8m/s*s

However, we would need to consider friction & wind resistance.

A tennis ball has more of both, which would slow it down.

However, a 150-pound jumper verses a 300-pound NFL lineman, the wind resistance and friction are against the lineman.

That’s what I’m asking for here- 500 lb people on skis going jumping on hills
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-08, 08:37

That Italian gal on the mixed doubles curling team is an assassin. She don't miss.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-02-08, 08:57

Why do medal leader boards show Russia as "Russian Olympic Committee"? Is that just slang for "We Dope"?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-02-08, 09:02

Floyd Robertson wrote:Why do medal leader boards show Russia as "Russian Olympic Committee"? Is that just slang for "We Dope"?

Russia is not allowed to compete as a nation because, you know, cheating. However, the athletes are allowed to compete. It's the Olympic committee trying to snuff out corruption.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-08, 09:40

So Chelios son and some other american hockey players are playing for china. Why? Because they play for a Russian team which is owned by a Chinese business man.

Olympics sure have changed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-08, 12:58

DWags wrote:So Chelios son and some other american hockey players are playing for china. Why? Because they play for a Russian team which is owned by a Chinese business man.

so they are citizens or how does that work? (i also am not sure if this is something new, d wags)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-02-08, 13:21

Motown Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Why do medal leader boards show Russia as "Russian Olympic Committee"? Is that just slang for "We Dope"?

Russia is not allowed to compete as a nation because, you know, cheating. However, the athletes are allowed to compete. It's the Olympic committee trying to snuff out corruption.
Same thing in the Summer Olympics a few months ago, but Floyd was probably put hooking up with the ladies on those summer nights.

In the summer Olympics, there was also a refugee team. I don't know of there is in the Winter Olympica. Most of the refugees aren't from big ski lodge type areas, so maybe not.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-02-08, 13:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
DWags wrote:So Chelios son and some other american hockey players are playing for china. Why? Because they play for a Russian team which is owned by a Chinese business man.

so they are citizens or how does that work? (i also am not sure if this is something new, d wags)

I believe they have to be to compete. I don't know if they have to have a birth claim to citizenship like is needed to play for a certain country in soccer, or if China just fast tracked naturalized citizenships for the sake of the Olympics.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next