Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread

+3
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
Nordic
7 posters

Go down

tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread Empty tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread

Post by Nordic Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Let's sweat   tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread 1f47a

Last edited by Nordic on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread Empty Re: tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread

Post by Nordic Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:55 pm

Anyone else addicted to the sauna? IR or traditional?

I try to get in 4+ times a week. Traditional. 80-90C. 20-30 mins. 10+ minute natural cooldown. My max is 60 min with 45 mins uninterrupted (stepped out for 2 mins).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread Empty Re: tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:59 pm

I am interested in purchasing a sauna for the home, ideally a steam one, but I do not know where to begin on something like that. Pls help
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:14 pm

No thank you.

Never understood the attraction. That said I used to not like ipas or really spicy foods so, maybe someday.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:10 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I am interested in purchasing a sauna for the home, ideally a steam one, but I do not know where to begin on something like that. Pls help

The SO would like me to build one for home use.

https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Saunas

Since my farm used to have a smoke house maybe it will be a replacement.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:21 pm

There’s a 0% chance that I would be able to build that without it exploding. I’m going to pay for something premade, an ikea version of a sauna if you will. Or a contractor if that’s what I need. I have no idea.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:30 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:There’s a 0% chance that I would be able to build that without it exploding. I’m going to pay for something premade, an ikea version of a sauna if you will. Or a contractor if that’s what I need. I have no idea.

Building stuff is pretty easy, well except here on a farm we can pretend building codes are optional.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:39 pm

I get enough sauna action any time I step outside between May and October.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Neighbors next to our cottage on Portage Lake (the real one Up North in the Keweenaw, not the false one in the LP) had one right next to the property line. They were cool. Would let us know anytime they decided to fire it up.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:49 pm

Nordic wrote:Anyone else addicted to the sauna? IR or traditional?

I try to get in 4+ times a week. Traditional. 80-90C. 20-30 mins. 10+ minute natural cooldown. My max is 60 min with 45 mins uninterrupted (stepped out for 2 mins).
The Portage Lake cool down was almost instantaneous...less than 30 feet to PL/slightly warmer than Lake Superior. Quite a rush!
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:05 pm

Correct pronunciation is important

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:34 am

Pre-lift bake

tOfficial Sauna & Steam Room Thread 20220615
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:48 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I am interested in purchasing a sauna for the home, ideally a steam one, but I do not know where to begin on something like that. Pls help

You're probably talking about a steam room. Steam rooms run at much lower temps (110-120F) and high humidity (steam obv). Sauna's are typically dry and hotter (175-190F for traditional, 120-140 for IR). Some will throw some aromatics or a spash of water on heater. Not my preference and it can fuck up the electric heaters, but dont care if someone does.  

Similar benefits, just a mater of preference. I prefer dry and hot as fuck. Added Steam Room to the title, don't want to alienate the tSwill Steamers.

Last edited by Nordic on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:59 am

Nordic wrote:

You're probably talking about a steam room. Steam rooms run at much lower temps (110-120F) and high humidity (steam obv). Sauna's are typically dry and hotter (180-200F for traditional, 130-150 for IR). Some will throw some aromatics or a spash of water on heater. Not my preference and it can fuck up the electric heaters, but dont care if someone does.  

Similar benefits, just a mater of preference. I prefer dry and hot as fuck. Added Steam Room to the title, don't want to alienate the tSwill Steamers.

I don’t really know anything about what I want tbh. Any and all options are on the table
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:49 pm

Nordic wrote:

You're probably talking about a steam room. Steam rooms run at much lower temps (110-120F) and high humidity (steam obv). Sauna's are typically dry and hotter (180-200F for traditional, 130-150 for IR). Some will throw some aromatics or a spash of water on heater. Not my preference and it can fuck up the electric heaters, but dont care if someone does.  

Electric?  WTF?  Real saunas are wood-fired.  NG or propane if that's not possible.  You're already overcooking at 180°.  165 is comfortable with occasional water on the rocks.

"Dry" sauna is for Arizonians, not Scandinavians.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:55 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Nordic wrote:

You're probably talking about a steam room. Steam rooms run at much lower temps (110-120F) and high humidity (steam obv). Sauna's are typically dry and hotter (175-195F for traditional, 120-140 for IR). Some will throw some aromatics or a spash of water on heater. Not my preference and it can fuck up the electric heaters, but dont care if someone does.  

I don’t really know anything about what I want tbh. Any and all options are on the table

I don't know much about steam rooms or the feasability of installing one in a home. I can speak a bit too saunas. Been shopping for a home unit for a while.

There are basically two types of saunas: Traditional and Infared (IR). Traditional saunas use heaters (gas, wood or electric) to heat the air to 180-200F. You can add a splash of water or eucalyptus to spruce it up. IR saunas use infared waves to heat your body, but not necessarily the air. These generate less heat, 110-130F.  

I've never used an IR sauna, but have spoke to a few people that have bought them. They say they work good and will do the job. IRs will be cheaper, easier to use and install.

Personally, if I ever pull the trigger, i will get a traditional. Or maybe a hybrid. It is what I am used to and speaking with people and researching, IRs will work good, but wont push me to the limit. I want to be challenged.

Infrared Sauna Vs Traditional Sauna: What’s The Difference?

Last edited by Nordic on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:17 pm

The US military has a gun that shoots microwaves. It heats up an enemy’s body. Maybe you can see if Uncle Sam will sell you one to test out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:22 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Electric?  WTF?  Real saunas are wood-fired.  NG or propane if that's not possible.  You're already overcooking at 180°.  165 is comfortable with occasional water on the rocks.

Get uncomfortable Pantry
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:29 pm

I already have a whirlpool I don’t use. Maybe I’ll build a sauna next to it and not use that, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:35 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I already have a whirlpool I don’t use. Maybe I’ll build a sauna next to it and not use that, too.

Get a treadmill first. Skip that and then the sauna.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:44 pm

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I already have a whirlpool I don’t use. Maybe I’ll build a sauna next to it and not use that, too.

You mean my wife’s treadmill/clothes magnet? Done. An ellipsis, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

You mean my wife’s treadmill/clothes magnet? Done. An ellipsis, too.

You just need some dumbells to hold the carpet down and you're all set
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:20 pm

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Get uncomfortable Pantry
I'm too old to enjoy uncomfortable anymore.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Been a few weeks. Got 20 min in Sat and 30 min today.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down