Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you listening to right now?

+23
tGreenWay
CaptainSlow33
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
NigelUno
Spartytruth
InternetWarrior
SawGreen
Trapper Gus
DWags
kingstonlake
Nordic
Jaheab
Pervis Muldoon
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
MattyFresh
The Pantry
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
27 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-22, 08:30

Cameron wrote:

so funny that you posted this.

I believe it was just this past Sunday.. wife and I were driving somewhere and she was flipping around the radio and this song was on. I sang the chorus word-for-freakin'-word and the look on her face was one I'll never forget.

it was one of both amazement and horror. What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-27, 13:57

The Menzingers, Lucero, The Dirty Nil in LANSING!
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-27, 14:02

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

I will be there.

after Springsteen (and maybe The Hold Steady), Lucero is the probably the band I've seen most. Looking forward to adding to that total on a Saturday night in late June. What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 3493939353

(oh, and The Menzingers absolutely rock the place out, too).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-27, 14:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

I will be there.

after Springsteen (and maybe The Hold Steady), Lucero is the probably the band I've seen most. Looking forward to adding to that total on a Saturday night in late June. What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 3493939353

My kid sent it to me because he became a fan of The Dirty Nil from his gaming/internet friend in Canada. He actually drove to Buffalo to see them last year. And now, Lansing....(and 3rd on the bill). Plus that place looks tiny from walking by. Maybe a couple hundred... maybe.

Should be pretty cool.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-27, 15:45

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I will be there.

My kid sent it to me because he became a fan of The Dirty Nil from his gaming/internet friend in Canada. He actually drove to Buffalo to see them last year. And now, Lansing....(and 3rd on the bill). Plus that place looks tiny from walking by. Maybe a couple hundred... maybe.

Should be pretty cool.
will probably sell out pretty quick.

fun fact: Scotty Bell (lives locally) is a part owner of the venue and also manages The Menzingers. They were originally supposed to be there last August, but had some delays in construction. He had told me they were gonna reschedule it, but didn't know it was with Lucero.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-29, 13:09

Let YouTube take me down a musical rabbit hole while eating lunch and stumbled on this.

Setzer comes on at about 8:17 to join Dickie onstage then they jam to a cut from what was to be Setzer's first solo LP in 85. The first 8 minutes is Dickie jamming Jessica. Pretty cool to those guys trading licks.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-29, 14:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:Let YouTube take me down a musical rabbit hole while eating lunch and stumbled on this.

Setzer comes on at about 8:17 to join Dickie onstage then they jam to a cut from what was to be Setzer's first solo LP in 85. The first 8 minutes is Dickie jamming Jessica. Pretty cool to those guys trading licks.

Jessica is still one of my favorite songs, but man, 80’s hair was so unfortunate. Also, the bass player reminds me of Ernie from My Three Sons.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-29, 14:51

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Let YouTube take me down a musical rabbit hole while eating lunch and stumbled on this.

Jessica is still one of my favorite songs, but man, 80’s hair was so unfortunate. Also, the bass player reminds me of Ernie from My Three Sons.

Kenny Aaronson is the bass, and has played with a who's who of rockers over the years.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-05, 08:05

Going to London in three weeks.

Just scored tickets to Ovation: A Celebration of 24 Years for the Teenage Cancer Trust

This has been hosted by Roger Daltrey for the past 24 years and this is his last year.

Lineup: Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, Robert Plant, Eddie Vedder
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 09:00

Motown Spartan wrote:Going to London in three weeks.

Just scored tickets to Ovation: A Celebration of 24 Years for the Teenage Cancer Trust

This has been hosted by Roger Daltrey for the past 24 years and this is his last year.

awesome - is it at Royal Albert Hall?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-05, 09:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

awesome - is it at Royal Albert Hall?

It is! Totally happened by chance too. And tickets were tough to get.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 09:43

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:awesome - is it at Royal Albert Hall?

very cool. Enjoy - amazing opportunity at a historical venue.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-05, 09:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

very cool. Enjoy - amazing opportunity at a historical venue.

Thank you! I'm pretty excited about it. I have a feeling there will be more to this show than the announced lineup considering this is Daltrey's last gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 10:29

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:very cool. Enjoy - amazing opportunity at a historical venue.

Thank you! I'm pretty excited about it. I have a feeling there will be more to this show than the announced lineup considering this is Daltrey's last gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
pretty great part of London, as well. Jealous!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-05, 10:36

Holy shit!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-05, 10:48

DWags wrote:

Holy shit!

That was my response too! It's freaking Rock Royalty and as close as you can get to a Mt Rushmore show without the Beatles and Rolling Stones.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 10:52

Motown Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Holy shit!

That was my response too! It's freaking Rock Royalty and as close as you can get to a Mt Rushmore show without the Beatles, Springsteen and Rolling Stones.
fixed, but I get your overarching point.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 11:00

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

FYI, per Grewal Hall's website, "fee free" tickets can be purchased at FBC on Grand River.

GA tix are $30, fees are $10+.

think I'll stroll down to FBC later.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-05, 13:24

Well, call me the asshole I paid the fee (5X)...

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 15:17

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Well, call me the asshole I paid the fee (5X)...

aww man.

solid theme music for the post, though.. "baby, baby, I'll be good to you"..

how old are you? I'm going for the oldest dude at the show.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-05, 16:43

52....& Usually the oldest guy at the shows i go to.

But when i went to Gaslight Anthem last year, ended up sitting next to this attorney who was well into his 60s, talked about the good old days of punkish shows in the 80s/90s. Felt young next to him.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-05, 17:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

FYI, per Grewal Hall's website, "fee free" tickets can be purchased at FBC on Grand River.

GA tix are $30, fees are $10+.

think I'll stroll down to FBC later.

At Grewal Law, there is no fee unless we win your case.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-05, 18:15

AvgMSUJoe wrote:52....& Usually the oldest guy at the shows i go to.

But when i went to Gaslight Anthem last year, ended up sitting next to this attorney who was well into his 60s, talked about the good old days of punkish shows in the 80s/90s. Felt young next to him.
good stuff - I'm 54 so I have that going for me.

Were you at the Gaslight show in GR? If so, the kid was there. They're genuinely one of my top 5 bands of all time.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-03-06, 07:26

Something I stumbled on a couple of days ago. Give it a listen. You'll be in a better mood than you were before, even if you were in a great mood.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-06, 09:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:52....& Usually the oldest guy at the shows i go to.

good stuff - I'm 54 so I have that going for me.

Were you at the Gaslight show in GR? If so, the kid was there. They're genuinely one of my top 5 bands of all time.

I was at the Detroit show... ended up going alone because my kid (in KZoo) backed out last second. He had a midterm he wasn't ready for the next day... sheesh, kids these days.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-06, 10:01

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:good stuff - I'm 54 so I have that going for me.

I was at the Detroit show... ended up going alone because my kid (in KZoo) backed out last second. He had a midterm he wasn't ready for the next day... sheesh, kids these days.
funny - our daughter lives in Ferndale and she and her boyfriend drove to the GR show.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-06, 10:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

funny - our daughter lives in Ferndale and she and her boyfriend drove to the GR show.
So, the opener was Jeff Rosenstock. That guy is rockin' punk-ish, really good energy... Actually, The act I was talking to the old guy about, comparing him to "all-ages" type shows back in the day. Rosenstock is playing small venues by himself now. The kid (he will not back out on this one) and I are seeing him in Grand Rapids next month. A place called Pyramid Scheme. (?) Looks like a pinball bar. Hope it's just big enough that my old ass can avoid the pit.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-06, 12:32

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:funny - our daughter lives in Ferndale and she and her boyfriend drove to the GR show.
So, the opener was Jeff Rosenstock. That guy is rockin' punk-ish, really good energy... Actually, The act I was talking to the old guy about, comparing him to "all-ages" type shows back in the day. Rosenstock is playing small venues by himself now. The kid (he will not back out on this one) and I are seeing him in Grand Rapids next month. A place called Pyramid Scheme. (?) Looks like a pinball bar. Hope it's just big enough that my old ass can avoid the pit.

LOVE the Pyramid Scheme - my favorite GR venue.

It's smaller - long and narrow. The front is a total pinball arcade, then you go through a door, down a hallway to the venue. Been to a handful of shows there. I'm pretty sure I saw The Menzingers there - in fact, now that I think about it, I totally did, 'cause we ran into them at Stella's across the street before the show. Rapped with them a while.

and it is big enough to sort of hang at the back or off to the side. The Menzingers opened with "Tellin' Lies" and about 90 seconds later, a dude comes flyin' over my head and I was like "I don't wanna leave in a body cast" and moved back some.

Also saw The Hold Steady there years ago - one of my favorite live bands ever (and favorite bands in general). You'll dig it the venue,
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-14, 08:49

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-03-24, 11:40

Guy on the BBQ board has posted some links to his son's drum work.  Pretty good.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-25, 07:15

What an amazing show! Was moved to tears on more than one occasion. Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey sound amazing for being 75 and 80 years old. Eddie Vedder was the highlight for me. He played with Simon Townshend (Pete’s brother), Glen Hansard, and Olivia Vedder (his daughter). Here’s the set list and some videos from the show.  

Eddie Vedder LIVE at Ovation: 24 Years for the Teenage Cancer Trust

A nice rendition of Baba O’Riley in that link as well.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Robert J Sakimano like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-25, 07:52

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-29, 14:45

one of my top 5 favorite bands of all-time. What are you listening to right now? - Page 8 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-04-12, 19:09

Lisa Fischer makes it the best version, ever

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-12, 20:18

The Pantry wrote:Lisa Fischer makes it the best version, ever

Dwags and I saw it live a few years ago and whoever it was singing that part brought down the house.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-04-18, 00:08

Underneath that poodlehead of hair is 17-year-old Grace Bowers.

Here she is doing a Stevie Ray tune:

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Robert J Sakimano like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-04-18, 07:37

She had all the advantages of growing up with Guitar Hero.

Kidding aside, that's a lot of talent.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-04-18, 13:18

I dont know how many Blues wunderkinds I've lived through... Remember the kid without shoes... Uh... Johnny Lang? Kenny Wayne Shepherd? I guess many are still going like Marcus King, Kingfish, Gary Clark Jr... They all were the next Stevie Ray.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-04-18, 14:38

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I dont know how many Blues wunderkinds I've lived through... Remember the kid without shoes... Uh... Johnny Lang? Kenny Wayne Shepherd? I guess many are still going like Marcus King, Kingfish, Gary Clark Jr... They all were the next Stevie Ray.

That may all be true, but if anyone said she’s the next Stevie Ray, it wasn’t me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-04-18, 14:57

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:I dont know how many Blues wunderkinds I've lived through... Remember the kid without shoes... Uh... Johnny Lang? Kenny Wayne Shepherd? I guess many are still going like Marcus King, Kingfish, Gary Clark Jr... They all were the next Stevie Ray.

That may all be true, but if anyone said she’s the next Stevie Ray, it wasn’t me.
Wasnt saying that... just sayin i think its a blues thing. Coming out of the gate young with hype of the entire genre on your shoulders.

(Samantha Fish...)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next