Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MNF hit on Damar Hamlin

+17
Trapper Gus
gomersbro
Cameron
Turtleneck
The Pantry
MSU addict
Dendrobates
duffy munn
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
Pervis Muldoon
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
Nordic
Heat Miser
tGreenWay
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MNF hit on Damar Hamlin Empty MNF hit on Damar Hamlin

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 21:10

Anybody else see this? It’s reported he had to be administered cpr before being loaded onto an ambulance.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2023-01-02, 23:18; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

MNF hit on Damar Hamlin Empty Re: MNF hit on Damar Hamlin

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 21:11

Helmet to the chest making the tackle. Got up for a second or two, then went down.

Last edited by Heat Miser on 2023-01-02, 21:24; edited 1 time in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 21:14

Just reported he also got oxygen. Really scary stuff.

[tw]1610095803653304322?s=46&t=OeK7DI8FWbnsllziPiUNpQ[/tw]
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 21:15

Memories of Chuck Hughes. Really hope that’s not happening ing again.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 21:22

tGreenWay wrote:Memories of Chuck Hughes. Really hope that’s not happening ing again.

Seems nobody on set remembers Chuck Hughes.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-02, 21:27

[Tw]1610098849636388870[/tw]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-02, 21:28

[Tw]1610099483869679616[/tw]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 21:33

Don't really see how they can resume the game. And it's so late in the season it can't really be rescheduled. Might have to just cancel it
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-02, 21:38

Very reminiscent of Denmark's Christian Eriksen at the Euros last year, except it was non-contact related then.  He had a cardiac arrest and died, then was revived, on the field.  He was back playing 6 months later and is still playing at a high level. But with this being impact related it could be very different.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-02, 22:19

[Tw]1610110142795612161[/tw]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-02, 22:28

Seen a few things speculating something called commotio cordis. This diagram shows how it happens. Notice that there's a 20 millisecond window at a precise moment in the heart's rhythm where this can happen. At least that's how I read this diagram.
[img]MNF hit on Damar Hamlin 20230110[/img]
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 22:32

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Memories of Chuck Hughes. Really hope that’s not happening ing again.

They probably don’t, but it’s also possible they’ve been told not to talk about a player who died on the field. I can understand that, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-01-02, 22:32

Was watching live, as well, and you could tell by the reaction of players on the field, training staff, etc., that this was very bad.

It was not the usual come over, tap your teammate on the leg as they were rolling him off as he gives the 'thumbs up' to the crowd. There were people on the field crying, some players couldn't look.. I saw one guy look, then turn away with a look of shock, distraught.

I hope that they got care to him soon enough. He's young, he's otherwise very healthy, so I certainly hope to wake up tomorrow to better news.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 22:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:Seen a few things speculating something called commotio cordis. This diagram shows how it happens. Notice that there's a 20 millisecond window at a precise moment in the heart's rhythm where this can happen. At least that's how I read this diagram.
[img]MNF hit on Damar Hamlin 20230110[/img]

This is what I was thinking, but didn't know the name.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 22:38

MiamiSpartan wrote:Very reminiscent of Denmark's Christian Eriksen at the Euros last year, except it was non-contact related then.  He had a cardiac arrest and died, then was revived, on the field.  He was back playing 6 months later and is still playing at a high level. But with this being impact related it could be very different.

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn his heart stopped at least once before being transported out. They did cpr on him for several minutes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-01-02, 22:54

tGreenWay wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

They probably don’t, but it’s also possible they’ve been told not to talk about a player who died on the field. I can understand that, too.

They've been candid that this kid life or death, so I think they just don't know about Hughes. What I'm disappointed with about the ESPN coverage is that there's nothing personal being said about Hamlin. He started a holiday toy drive in his hometown in metro Pittsburgh. He said he saw his dad giving back when he was a kid, and he wanted to make it to the NFL so that he could help kids. He was the best defensive prospect in Pennsylvania as a high school senior and he said early this season that he wants to become the quarterback of the Bills defense. Stuff like that is easy to find if you haven't done your research before the game. ESPN should let us know who it is that we're praying for or thinking of. Don't treat him like a number.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Polydorus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 22:57

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

They've been candid that this kid life or death, so I think they just don't know about Hughes. What I'm disappointed with about the ESPN coverage is that there's nothing personal being said about Hamlin. He started a holiday toy drive in his hometown in metro Pittsburgh. He said he saw his dad giving back when he was a kid, and he wanted to make it to the NFL so that he could help kids. He was the best defensive prospect in Pennsylvania as a high school senior and he said early this season that he wants to become the quarterback of the Bills defense. Stuff like that is easy to find if you haven't done your research before the game. ESPN should let us know who it is that we're praying for or thinking of. Don't treat him like a number.

I think a lot of that starts to sound like a eulogy. And nobody wants to sound like that.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-01-02, 23:07

Heat Miser wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I think a lot of that starts to sound like a eulogy. And nobody wants to sound like that.

Not when you use present tense. Tell us what kind of kid he is, how he studies the game and never wants to make the same mistake twice. Sixth-round picks don't have an easy path to the playing field. He has worked hard to get there, and they should have someone on staff who knows
something about him. Instead, they all climb over each other to talk about how football means nothing. I'd rather hear about Hamlin.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 23:11

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Heat nailed it. You can’t start talking about Hamlin in the past tense and by giving too much background it does take on the feel of an obituary. Now, I agree there’s a way to tell an audience more about the person in whole and not just as a player so the viewers get a better idea of the individual. Just taking a look at twitter and I learned more about Hamlin. But some info can’t just be taken from an online source without confirming it with family, and this isn’t the time to be contacting family. You also have to look at staffing issues during the early part of a fb game on what’s been a holiday for a lot of places. They were probably not fully staffed at that hour.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 23:16

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Not when you use present tense. Tell us what kind of kid he is, how he studies the game and never wants to make the same mistake twice. Sixth-round picks don't have an easy path to the playing field. He has worked hard to get there, and they should have someone on staff who knows
something about him. Instead, they all climb over each other to talk about how football means nothing. I'd rather hear about Hamlin.

I get what you’re saying, but these aren’t journalists. They’re sports announcers and former players and most wouldn’t know how to handle this. They’re trained in filling time talking about the game, not discussing life and death.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 23:23

I find it interesting that they don't want to talk about anything but Hamlin, but there are real logistical issues that have to be solved in real time. Normally the Bills would take a charter flight back to Buffalo after the game. Are they gonna leave Hamlin behind and proceed? Diggs is at the hospital. If they all stay, then hotels need to be found, transport arranged, etc. They're not gonna just mill around the stadium all night.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-02, 23:25

I read they are going back to buffalo
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 23:28

Heat Miser wrote:I find it interesting that they don't want to talk about anything but Hamlin, but there are real logistical issues that have to be solved in real time. Normally the Bills would take a charter flight back to Buffalo after the game. Are they gonna leave Hamlin behind and proceed? Diggs is at the hospital. If they all stay, then hotels need to be found, transport arranged, etc. They're not gonna just mill around the stadium all night.

Based on serious injuries to Spartans, I remember the team returns home and a couple or few stay, but not players.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-02, 23:29

[Tw]1610118659170607105[/tw]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-02, 23:29

kingstonlake wrote:I read they are going back to buffalo

If that's true, then that is a very difficult flight to endure without knowing Hamlin's condition.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

TravelinMan, DWags, Pervis Muldoon and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-01-02, 23:34

tGreenWay wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I get what you’re saying, but these aren’t journalists. They’re sports announcers and former players and most wouldn’t know how to handle this. They’re trained in filling time talking about the game, not discussing life and death.

I just went upstairs to my living room. My wife was watching MSNBC, and they were talking about Hamlin and his charity work. It was nicely done. ESPN does have journalists. They apparently didn't think to actually research and talk about the person who's fighting for his life. It's a disservice to Hamlin and the viewers.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-02, 23:49

tGreenWay wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I noticed that Aikman hardly said a word, especially once this was clearly a life or death thing. And it wasn't just due to Buck talking, as there were a few times where he seemed to lead in to wanting Aikman to say something, and then there was silence.

And in the studio, Suzy Kolber and the others seemed to really be struggling to talk about it. We've all seen news anchors on air talking on the fly about a shocking and tragic event. I was thinking tonight how that's probably quite a skill that anchors and other TV reporters have to possess, and is clearly not something that the sports folks are trained for. They did seem kind of trained to fill airtime by talking without saying much. That's probably a skill that they need for slow moments of games, weather delays, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-02, 23:52

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I just went upstairs to my living room. My wife was watching MSNBC, and they were talking about Hamlin and his charity work. It was nicely done. ESPN does have journalists. They apparently didn't think to actually research and talk about the person who's fighting for his life. It's a disservice to Hamlin and the viewers.

I’ve been watching cnn and it mentioned his charity and how people are responding by making donations. No surprise the news orgs with their experience in breaking news is making up for espn’s lack of coverage. I guess I’m surprised by your surprise. They don’t call working in sports playing in the toy department for no reason. In order to respond in a way you might consider respectful, espn would need producers and writers with experience in breaking news and continuing coverage. You need a type of vision few sports broadcast producers would have, and a staff to handle it. When you need eye surgery you don’t get it from an optometrist. You get an ophthalmologist.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-01-02, 23:59

tGreenWay wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I’ve been watching cnn and it mentioned his charity and how people are responding by making donations. No surprise the news orgs with their experience in breaking news is making up for espn’s lack of coverage. I guess I’m surprised by your surprise. They don’t call working in sports playing in the toy department for no reason. In order to respond in a way you might consider respectful, espn would need producers and writers with experience in breaking news and continuing coverage. You need a type of vision few sports broadcast producers would have, and a staff to handle it. When you need eye surgery you don’t get it from an optometrist. You get an ophthalmologist.

You make very valid points. I haven't been a regular viewer in several years, but ESPN used to pride itself on sports journalism. I was disappointed because I think there are only two important things here: how Hamlin is doing and who Hamlin is. While waiting for information on the former, they should focus on the latter. I wish that wasn't too much to expect.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 00:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I noticed that Aikman hardly said a word, especially once this was clearly a life or death thing. And it wasn't just due to Buck talking, as there were a few times where he seemed to lead in to wanting Aikman to say something, and then there was silence.

And in the studio, Suzy Kolber and the others seemed to really be struggling to talk about it. We've all seen news anchors on air talking on the fly about a shocking and tragic event. I was thinking tonight how that's probably quite a skill that anchors and other TV reporters have to possess, and is clearly not something that the sports folks are trained for. They did seem kind of trained to fill airtime by talking without saying much. That's probably a skill that they need for slow moments of games, weather delays, etc.

It really is a skill usually honed over time and events, whether it’s a bombing, an election night, or some other moment that’s not conducive to scripted segments. I never had that skill and knew it early on, so extemporaneous broadcasting wasn’t going to be an option. My skill set was off mic/cam searching for information. I loved the hunt and I got good at it. Everyone plays a role, and it’s not something a crew broadcasting a fb game would likely be prepared for without having a plan already in place.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 00:17

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

You make very valid points. I haven't been a regular viewer in several years, but ESPN used to pride itself on sports journalism. I was disappointed because I think there are only two important things here: how Hamlin is doing and who Hamlin is. While waiting for information on the former, they should focus on the latter. I wish that wasn't too much to expect.

ESPN is prettty much about games and opinion shows. It doesn’t really do fact-based pieces anymore, as evident by the hatchet job Paula Lavigne did on Izzo and Dantonio.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-03, 00:30

Re: the announcers and studio people and such- shit man I feel bad for them. I’m not going to rip apart what they said or didn’t say. They’re, basically, meatheads in suits here to talk about football. They aren’t smart people. When they cut back to the studio those people probably had to wipe bbq sauce off their face from the buffet minutes before they were thrown on national television to talk about something that they’re totally clueless on.

It’s just an impossible situation for them too. I was out with a friend watching at a bar where we couldn’t hear- but we watched these dudes who don’t know anymore than I do looking at my phone having to fill time talking about things out of their depth. We were really talking about if it wouldn’t be better to just pull some cornhole or dodgeball clips from the ocho vault and put that on and only come back in if they had something new to say. Don’t know if that’s actually better, but I don’t know if them filling time is good either
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-03, 00:35

His toy drive for kids, original goal of 25 hundred is now up to the millions. At one point 5k a minute was coming in.

Sometimes people are really fucking cool.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan, tGreenWay, Pervis Muldoon and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-01-03, 00:39

I was at that game as an 8 year old with my dad and remember it vividly. Van Patrick told us on the radio as we were driving home Hughes had died. Crazy what you remember even as you get old.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 02:16

CNN says Hamlin went into cardiac arrest and his heartbeat was restored on the field. IDK who released that info; the Bills, the League, or the hospital.

Edit: The statement came from the Bills.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2023-01-03, 02:20; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 02:18

DWags wrote:His toy drive for kids, original goal of 25 hundred is now up to the millions. At one point 5k a minute was coming in.

Sometimes people are really fucking cool.

The amount before the game was at $12k and now stands north of $3 million.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 02:36

Hamlin’s marketing rep says he’s got “normal” vitals but is sedated and intubated.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-03, 08:02

Hope he didn't suffer any neurological damage.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-03, 08:57

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It really is a skill usually honed over time and events, whether it’s a bombing, an election night, or some other moment that’s not conducive to scripted segments. I never had that skill and knew it early on, so extemporaneous broadcasting wasn’t going to be an option. My skill set was off mic/cam searching for information. I loved the hunt and I got good at it. Everyone plays a role, and it’s not something a crew broadcasting a fb game would likely be prepared for without having a plan already in place.

A face for radio, but a voice for print?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-03, 10:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

A face for radio, but a voice for print?

Pretty sure radio was embarrassed to have me, too. cyclops
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next