Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now

+7
Travis of the Cosmos
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
MSU addict
Heat Miser
kingstonlake
DWags
11 posters

Go down

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now Empty Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now

Post by DWags 2023-01-05, 17:12

It appears that the Lions and Packers are basically in a playoff this weekend. Because of the tragedy that happened at Buffalo and Cincinnati it sounds like they’re going to add a 8th team to the playoffs.

That means whoever wins between the Packers and the lions not only get into the playoffs, but are going to be playing a wounded Philadelphia team.

I’m not thrilled with this. I actually thought the Packers had a chance if the lions we’re only going into the game as a so-called spoiler. But those young kids on the lions are going to taste playoff blood, and now I don’t think the Packers have a chance.

Should be an interesting press conference. And how bad would you feel if you were Philly? I think the lions can beat the Philadelphia.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now Empty Re: Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-05, 17:18

Is there a senerio where they're a seven seed?

Seattle losing, lions winning?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now Empty Re: Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-05, 17:23

Why? Even if that game is never played, it had no bearing on who's in or out. Only on seeding at the top, and only for the AFC. Or is the NFL trying to make up for the lost revenue on that 1 game by adding 2?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-01-05, 17:24

From what I am hearing is sounds like only the AFC may be adding the 8th team as Bills-Bengals game will not be played and there will be no official conference winner.

Will have no effect on the NFC Lions-Packers
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-05, 17:25

MSU addict wrote:From what I am hearing is sounds like only the AFC may be adding the 8th team as Bills-Bengals game will not be played and there will be no official conference winner.

This makes more sense. Nobody gets a bye because a critical game that would've helped determine that bye wasn't played. Although I'm sure KC isn't too excited about it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-05, 18:10

I think it would be highly unlikely that one conference will have a 1 seed (with 7 playoff teams) that gets a bye and the other conference would have 8 teams (and no bye for the 1 seed).

But, I could be wrong.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-05, 18:12

Heat Miser wrote:
MSU addict wrote:From what I am hearing is sounds like only the AFC may be adding the 8th team as Bills-Bengals game will not be played and there will be no official conference winner.

This makes more sense. Nobody gets a bye because a critical game that would've helped determine that bye wasn't played. Although I'm sure KC isn't too excited about it.

Players association has to agree. Why make the one seed work harder on the AFC side? I think they would do both sides. (But I’m guessing ).
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-05, 18:16

NigelUno wrote:I think it would be highly unlikely that one conference will have a 1 seed (with 7 playoff teams) that gets a bye and the other conference would have 8 teams (and no bye for the 1 seed).  

But, I could be wrong.  

Yup
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-05, 18:27

That's pretty unfair to the teams that had worked hard enough to get the bye. To change the rules a week from the season's end is bullshit. Yes, extreme circumstances took place, but they're better off flipping a coin to determine the outcome of that game and then let the seeding fall where it does.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-05, 18:43

Step 1- lions get into the playoffs because of last minute rule change
Step 2- lions win Super Bowl
Step 3- it’s forever tarnished due to them only being there because a guy almost died. I don’t personally give a shit. We argue about it until the sun explodes and time ceases to exist

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5g3ul190lsvw06jjd7q3etablj6cfayjrjlgakpr7&rid=200

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2023-01-05, 19:08; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-05, 19:01

I think the Lions are kind of the "it" team right now. You know the NFL would love to cash in on that. The Sunday night game would be a top 5 watched game of the year.

How much would an extra 2 playoff games garner the NFL in advertising dollars....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-05, 19:17

kingstonlake wrote:I think the Lions are kind of the "it" team right now. You know the NFL would love to cash in on that. The Sunday night game would be a top 5 watched game of the year.

How much would an extra 2 playoff games garner the NFL in advertising dollars....

I assume Cinci will have to refund the tix from the cancelled game + refunded ad revenue at the local & national level + whatever else I'm not thinking of? Thus I also assume that profits from 1 or 2 additional games might be used to reimburse losses from the cancelled game? Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now 2599972566

A lot of expensive lawyers have probably been pouring over contracts since Monday night trying to figure out who is responsible for what in this unique situation, and nobody wants to be stuck with the short end of the stick.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-05, 19:27

Will have no effect on the NFC Lions-Packers
Still not understanding the logic of the NFL not continuing the Bills-Bengals game. A week 19 with only that game before the playoffs would be huge$$$. Push the playoffs back. The only playoff game/date/location/logistics that can't be changed is the Super Bowl. Fuck the stupid weekend off before the SB. No one likes that weekend.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-05, 19:27

Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now 53c39c10
Right now the Lions are +850 to make the playoffs. If that drops in the next 24hrs you'll know they're adding an 8th team. Vegas will know before we do.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-05, 20:02

Competition Committee to vote on approach to AFC playoffs at 6:00 p.m. ET

Per multiple sources, the Competition Committee will convene at 6:00 p.m. ET to vote on the approach to AFC playoff seeding based on the fact that Buffalo and Cincinnati will have played 16 games, and that the rest of the conference will have played 17.

It’s unclear whether the vote will be binding. Most likely, it will proceed to the Commissioner, who could in theory veto it. Given the circumstances, it’s highly unlikely that a full ownership vote would be required.

Possibilities include a neutral site for the AFC Championship, if it involves two of the three teams most affected by the cancellation of the game — the Bills, Bengals, and Chiefs. Some have suggested that, if the Chiefs are the No. 1 seed, they would choose either the bye or home-field advantage against the Bills or Bengals, whichever finishes as the No. 2 seed.

The possibility of adding an eighth team to the AFC playoff field would require collective bargaining with the NFL Players Association. There is no indication that any such discussions with the union have happened.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-01-05, 20:04

NigelUno wrote:I think it would be highly unlikely that one conference will have a 1 seed (with 7 playoff teams) that gets a bye and the other conference would have 8 teams (and no bye for the 1 seed).  

But, I could be wrong.  
No matter what is decided, there is inherent unfairness. The NFC will have a normal conference champion, the AFC will not. You can award it to KC based on win %, but doing so is because the Bills played one less game.

The solution The Pantry suggested may be the most fair from a competitive perspective, but then all of the teams get a week off except the Bills and Bengals, which disadvantages them. Also you have TV contracts and ads sold for specific dates, other logistical challenges, and weather can be an issue as we are a week later.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-01-05, 20:07

NigelUno wrote:Competition Committee to vote on approach to AFC playoffs at 6:00 p.m. ET

Per multiple sources, the Competition Committee will convene at 6:00 p.m. ET to vote on the approach to AFC playoff seeding based on the fact that Buffalo and Cincinnati will have played 16 games, and that the rest of the conference will have played 17.

It’s unclear whether the vote will be binding. Most likely, it will proceed to the Commissioner, who could in theory veto it. Given the circumstances, it’s highly unlikely that a full ownership vote would be required.

Possibilities include a neutral site for the AFC Championship, if it involves two of the three teams most affected by the cancellation of the game — the Bills, Bengals, and Chiefs. Some have suggested that, if the Chiefs are the No. 1 seed, they would choose either the bye or home-field advantage against the Bills or Bengals, whichever finishes as the No. 2 seed.

The possibility of adding an eighth team to the AFC playoff field would require collective bargaining with the NFL Players Association. There is no indication that any such discussions with the union have happened.
Interesting, but if there are only seven teams, someone has to get a bye.

Also, if the Chiefs win Sunday, a neutral site should happen only if the Bills also win this Sunday and those teams two are matched in the conference championship.  If the Chiefs win Sunday the Bengals have more losses no matter what.  If the Chiefs lose Sunday, things get ugly.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2023-01-05, 20:18; edited 2 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-05, 20:12

I doubt the various gambling sites associated with the NFL would be fired up about adding another team (or two) to the playoffs.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-05, 20:20

MSU addict wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Competition Committee to vote on approach to AFC playoffs at 6:00 p.m. ET

Interesting, but if there are only seven teams, someone has to get a bye.

Also, if the Chiefs win Sunday, a neutral site should happen only if the Bills also win this Sunday and those teams two are matched in the conference championship.  If the Chiefs win Sunday the Bengals have more losses no matter what.  If the Chiefs lose Sunday, things get ugly.

Guessing:
1 vs. 7
4 vs. 5

2 seed gets the bye
3 vs. 6
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-01-05, 20:48

DWags wrote:It appears that the Lions and Packers are basically in a playoff But those young kids on the lions are going to taste playoff blood, and now I don’t think the Packers have a chance.

The game is at Lambeau. In January. At night.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-05, 20:53

kingstonlake wrote:Sounds like the Lions and Packers will be a play in game now 53c39c10
Right now the Lions are +850 to make the playoffs. If that drops in the next 24hrs you'll know they're adding an 8th team. Vegas will know before we do.

I’d also watch the spread shrinking.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-05, 21:19

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:It appears that the Lions and Packers are basically in a playoff But those young kids on the lions are going to taste playoff blood, and now I don’t think the Packers have a chance.

The game is at Lambeau. In January. At night.

Fuck Green Bay
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2023-01-05, 21:26

Game should have been finished yesterday

[tw]1611184078136528896?t=cCl3wHVQsdfTJwZchsAmgA&s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-05, 21:43

aualum06 wrote:Game should have been finished yesterday

After reading the comments, I gather there are a lot UofM transplants in the Knsas City region.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-01-05, 21:59

Nordic wrote:After reading the comments, I gather there are a lot UofM transplants in the Knsas City region.
Yeah, I don't understand that whining.  Buffalo beat KC in the regular season, at KC.  They are not getting screwed unless you assume the Bengals would have won Monday.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2023-01-05, 22:33

MSU addict wrote:
Nordic wrote:After reading the comments, I gather there are a lot UofM transplants in the Knsas City region.
Yeah, I don't understand that whining.  Buffalo beat KC in the regular season, at KC.  They are not getting screwed unless you assume the Bengals would have won Monday.

At worst use head to head results to determine hosts not coin flips and neutral fields
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-05, 22:36

Goodell clearly didn't explore all possible avenues. The Bills-Bengals game needs to be played to the end.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-01-05, 22:53

The Pantry wrote:

Goodell clearly didn't explore all possible avenues.  The Bills-Bengals game needs to be played to the end.

When? Next week? So everybody gets a week off while the Bills & Bengals duke it out and both have to play again the following week? And what is the winner's prize? A home game for Cinci maybe? A bye for the Bills maybe? Sounds like a lose/lose for both to me.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-05, 23:01

Heat Miser wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Goodell clearly didn't explore all possible avenues.  The Bills-Bengals game needs to be played to the end.

When? Next week? So everybody gets a week off while the Bills & Bengals duke it out and both have to play again the following week? And what is the winner's prize? A home game for Cinci maybe? A bye for the Bills maybe? Sounds like a lose/lose for both to me.
Truth is, that game not being played fucked me out of another chance of winning a FF championship.  I'm now fucking 0-4 in championship games and sorta feel like Jim Kelly.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser, Cameron, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 06:42

Heat Miser wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

However, they both got the benefit of the game not being played, almost like a late season bye. The game was still in the first quarter, IIRC. Of course it isn't quite like a bye, as they still had all of the practice work. But physically, avoiding 45 minutes of unnecessary roughness, is a benefit to them that other teams don't get.

And FTR, I'm not minimizing the impact of Hamlin's injury on both teams having been on the field for that. I'm speaking of the physical wear and tear that comes with each game.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-06, 07:23

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

However, they both got the benefit of the game not being played, almost like a late season bye.  The game was still in the first quarter, IIRC.  Of course it isn't quite like a bye, as they still had all of the practice work.  But physically, avoiding 45 minutes of unnecessary roughness, is a benefit to them that other teams don't get.  

And FTR, I'm not minimizing the impact of Hamlin's injury on both teams having been on the field for that.  I'm speaking of the physical wear and tear that comes with each game.

You’re kinda minimizing the impact of Hamlin’s injury, despite the disclaimer. At least for the Bills. Maybe your argument could be sorta made for the Bengals. But I don’t think that the Bills are coming out ahead in the wear and tear vs watching their brother almost die situation
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 07:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
However, they both got the benefit of the game not being played, almost like a late season bye.  The game was still in the first quarter, IIRC.  Of course it isn't quite like a bye, as they still had all of the practice work.  But physically, avoiding 45 minutes of unnecessary roughness, is a benefit to them that other teams don't get.  

And FTR, I'm not minimizing the impact of Hamlin's injury on both teams having been on the field for that.  I'm speaking of the physical wear and tear that comes with each game.

You’re kinda minimizing the impact of Hamlin’s injury, despite the disclaimer. At least for the Bills. Maybe your argument could be sorta made for the Bengals. But I don’t think that the Bills are coming out ahead in the wear and tear vs watching their brother almost die situation

I guess you missed the words "physically" and "physical". Your reading comprehension skills have really fallen off this year, Trav.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-06, 08:30

Lions still +850 this morning.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-06, 08:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I guess you missed the words "physically" and "physical".  Your reading comprehension skills have really fallen off this year, Trav.

I understand what you’re trying to say, but unfortunately you are very wrong.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 08:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I guess you missed the words "physically" and "physical".  Your reading comprehension skills have really fallen off this year, Trav.

So how many byes should the Bills get in order to even things out from the trauma of seeing that happen to their teammate? Is one (well, 3/4 of one) enough?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-06, 08:42

MiamiSpartan wrote:

So how many byes should the Bills get in order to even things out from the trauma of seeing that happen to their teammate?  Is one (well, 3/4 of one) enough?

Do you think that this situation was a net positive or a net negative for the bills Miami?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 15:46

MiamiSpartan wrote:

So how many byes should the Bills get in order to even things out from the trauma of seeing that happen to their teammate?  Is one (well, 3/4 of one) enough?

Do you think that this situation was a net positive or a net negative for the bills Miami?

Probably negative. Maybe they should take off this week too then? Will that even things out for them? Or maybe a playoff bye, too? Just wondering since you seem so concerned about them netting out even.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down